Women Who SG

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
dede

Women Who SG

Post by dede » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:00 pm

I'm just curious how many women out there are active Shovelglovers, and of those buff chicks, what their current routine is.

I just got my 8# hammer and started shugging on Friday. My movements felt a bit awkward, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Although my arms were a bit sore on Saturday, I so-o-o-o wanted to shug again. However, I followed the "no SG on S days" suggestion and just let my anticipation grow over the weekend.

I was very eager to get out my sledgehammer again yesterday. The movements felt a little better and more controlled, but still needing focus and tuning. Mxs not too sore today, but I do feel them.

So in 14 minutes, my routine last night was:
Shoveling - 50 per side
Churning - 25 per side
Chopping Wood - 50 per side
Hoist the Sack - 30 per side

Not that I would change anything, but I'm wondering if this is typical for a woman just getting started.
DeDe

Big Phil

Women SG

Post by Big Phil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:38 am

Hi Dede,

I ain't no woman but I think that workout is great. I have a 10lb sledge and I remember how hard my first workout was with that (as it wasn't too long ago). The routine you have described as a first workout is pretty good in my opinion, man or woman.

Phil.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:15 am

Hi DeDe,

my sledge weighs 13 pounds, which is a little on the heavy side, really. I think the 8 pounder was a good choice.

My routine is similar to yours, except I do less shovelling and some other random stuff like standing canoe paddling, stirring the cauldron, a thing which I call 'wading through the bog' which is putting the sledge on my foot and lifting my leg up and down - about 20 on each side. Mostly I 'freestyle' it though - meaning I don't do a set number of reps or a particular order. Perhaps I ought to, so that I can measure progress a little easier, but right now I'm still focussing on building the 14 minutes a day every day habit and am not to concerned with the other details.

It's sounding great and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi Dede!!!

Warrior Deb here! LOL..
I am currently been on Shovelglove "sabbatical" but was fairly regular with it for some time... And boy does it feel terrific and it's pretty life friendly, as, heck, it's just 14 minutes! I love it very very much, however, I have since discovered Yoga this year, which I practice at mininmum 3 times a week for 90 minutes each time..
I noticed that my arms and shoulders, which are normally pretty tight, as I am a massage therapist, got considerably tighter with Shovelglove, and when I would go to Yoga, I had rough time doing certain opening stretches.. Maybe, as long as I do both, in tandem, I will be able to maintain some flexibility...
I use a 12 lb sledge (which is really more like 14...)I may start SG'ing again very soon though as I can "hear" it beckoning! LOL...

As far as a routine,,, everyone is unique...
As long as it feels challenging, but not so much that it becomes pressured, I say it's right for you...
8 lbs is really a comfy little sledge, so I'm sure you won't hurt yourself as long as you are mindful with your movements and use good posture and breathing....
I personally cant get myself to count reps... To me this is very artificial...
Maybe it's interesting to see what your endurance is, but on a day to day basis, I couldn't see myself just counting away, as that gets so tedious...
I prefer to just do a movement for as many times as my body feels like it...
Usually I'll do three or four of a movement and then switch to another and just keep rotating... But I move for the whole 14 minutes..
Occasionally, I take a thirty second or one minute "breather" where I just side step, kindof like the Rockettes, or the Beatles in the end of Magical Mystery Tour, when they walk down the big staircase! LOL, to catch my breath...

My favorite moves are:
The Fireman
Hoist the Sack
and then loads of Freestyle...
I like Shovelling too...

Have fun!
Peace and Glove,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Dede,

A lot of women (and some men) found shovelglove by way of "Mistress Krista"'s site:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=47

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=83

She's pretty hard core about exercise, and seems happy with an 8 pounder.

Interesting site, but no precise details (that I can find) about what she does during her shovelglove routine.

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:04 pm

I'm still using my 4-pounder (which actually weighs 6 lbs. with the handle). I wanted to begin this with a light sledge because I'm a wee little thing and have had a history of shoulder injuries. Hoping to upgrade to 6 pounds soon!

Here's my current routine.

1. Shoveling (20 left; 20 right)
2. Churning butter (20, then reverse hands, do another 20; I add squats)
3. Driving fence posts (20, reverse hands, 20)
4. Flip the lever (20 left, 20 right)
5. Scratch the back (20 and 20)
6. Stirring the pot (20, switch hands, 20)
7. Paddling the canoe (20 right, 20 left; this is the only one I do sitting)
8. Pumping the handcar (20 total with very tight abs)
9. Stoke the oven (20 each hand; I do this one in a deep lunge)
10. Tuck the bales (usually 20 each hand; I sometimes do this in plie)