Trudiejo's Check Ins

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

trudiejo

Trudiejo's Check Ins

Post by trudiejo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Just starting the No S today. Halfway through the day before I decided, so today is still blank!

I have roller coaster dieted most of my life (I'm 42) and this just seems so simple I had to give it a try!
SW: 188
GW: 140
CW: 187.2

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 pm

you can do it. just focus on getting a good structure going . make sure you eat filling foods and that way you won't be thinking about hunger all the time. your plates might be big but soon you will build your resolve and willpower and things will get easier and easier.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:26 pm

I had a great first day on Friday and what I really noticed was how much focusing on how much I was eating between meals before when I really wasn't hungry. I knew I had had enough calories at breakfast, for instance, that there was really no reason for me to eat before noon. I was actually able to put lunch off easily until 1!

Saturday and Sunday (S days), I did still try to stay cognizant of my choices but did have 2 cookies yesterday and a couple pieces of chocolate on Saturday. I will say, however, that normally I probably would have had 10 cookies and more than a couple pieces of chocolate, so I still count those as successes!

Here's to a good day today!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

sounds like a good start! dont' be too hard on yourself your first sday weekends. i would also say don't introduce rules until you've been through 3 weeks. my first sdays were wild. i'm trying to get a handle on them now but it takes a little time to get the structure. the first time i tried this plan about 6 months ago i set all these rules for myself and ended up failing right away because i was imposing too much on the system when it's pretty good by itself. 3 meals. very simple! sdays do what you want but dont' be an idiot... for some of us we have a hard time with that. me for example, sdays become a free for all because i've been in diet mentality/forbidden food land for so long. it takes time.

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 pm

That's good advice about the first sdays. I was definitely not too hard on myself!

Yesterday was a GREAT success! I did have a snack, but an apple, and only because I had a stretch of 7 hours between lunch and dinner (conferences at school, had to eat something!).

Did weigh in this morning and down 3 lbs since last week. I know a lot of it is water - I've lost weight enough to know that! - but I'm very happy with the success so far!

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Another green day for me yesterday! I do have difficult moments (like right now...) but am enjoying the challenge.

Today I ate shredded wheat and yogurt for breakfast - I knew it wouldn't keep me content through til lunch (I usually go for very heavy protein in the a.m.), but really was craving the cards, so I did it. It's an hour before lunch, and I did just have 5 almonds because I was feeling kind of nasty about it. Hoping that can stave off my hunger til lunch time!

I know that breaks the No Snack thing, but was definitely more important to not feel crappy! :)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 pm

well i think it just takes time to get used to eating a big enough meal for breakfast. dont' be too hard on yourself!

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Good day yesterday, but still counted it as an exempt day. A migraine crept up mid-afternoon and really just kind of debilitated me the rest of the evening (and yet this morning). Just focusing on taking care of my head for now...

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Migraine continued into Wednesday night and all day yesterday. It was NOT a good food day either. Mostly I caved on sugar. My BF brought home some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from the bakery and I ate too many, to be sure! The pain of the migraine really just made me not care!

Headache free and back on track this morning! I have noticed, however, how much more I'm craving sugar after eating the cookies last night. There's a kitchen full of donuts at work and it's taking all of my willpower to stay away. But I also know how much better I will feel if I DON'T have one!

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Not a good couple of days for me. Had Carol's memorial service this weekend, and really that whole thing just threw me for a loop for the last couple of days. Back on track today!

trudiejo

Post by trudiejo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm

OK, a week or so off dealing with the flu but I'm back to No S today! Did not gain any weight (appetite was blah), so glad for that. Need to get back to the gym soon too, but going to hold off on that for just a bit longer. Not 100% yet.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm new to this system and am impressed with your ups and downs. You always get back up! I think that is the key to everything.
Congratulations on your commitment to no s!