Holy Backpain batman!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
koopa

Holy Backpain batman!

Post by koopa » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:42 am

Well, it is more back soreness, but this is a new experiance for me. I started shugging with a 8 lb'er in January, and just graduated to a 12 lb'er. After 2 days of shugging, I woke up today with a stiff lower back.

Today is a day of rest!

I've had arm soreness and ab soreness, but I never understood the back soreness as I've never experienced it before. Time to chalk this up to a new level! I hope this doesn't affect my run for today....

Happy shugging everyone!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Definitely take it easy until you're feeling 100% better.

The good news is that shovelglove will give you the back muscles of a titan if you can navigate this and keep at it. (but definitely prioritize the navigation part for now and don't shug through pain -- take as many "yellow" days as you need)

Best of luck, and hope you can still do your run (I'll be running this afternoon, too).

Reinhard

koopa

Post by koopa » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 pm

It isn't pain, just soreness. It just isn't what I expected, especially since my body was carrying around 40 more lbs a little over 6 months ago.

Good luck on the run! I'm going to attempt 4 miles today.

koopa

Post by koopa » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm

koopa wrote:It isn't pain, just soreness. It just isn't what I expected, especially since my body was carrying around 40 more lbs a little over 6 months ago.

Back soreness bothered me during the run, so ran 20 minutes, walked 5, ran 10 minutes, walked 5 then did speed intervial training to total 3.90 miles. I can never get it to actually click to 4 miles.... one day.

Today, no issues, so did the shovelglove routine again. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

PS: ideally, I need to shug on run days if back soreness is going to linger.

koopa

Post by koopa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I've been traveling lately, so haven't had a chance to regularly shovelglove, but I still notice back soreness on the 12 lber. I mostly notice it when swimming or running, which is just annoying. Doing most other things doesn't bother me much.

Since I no longer have soreness with normal activity, I have a feeling that my back will harden soon, and this will no longer be an issue. Right now, it is just annoying as it is interfering with my other activities... :D

koopa

Post by koopa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm

koopa wrote:
koopa wrote:It isn't pain, just soreness. It just isn't what I expected, especially since my body was carrying around 40 more lbs a little over 6 months ago.

Back soreness bothered me during the run, so ran 20 minutes, walked 5, ran 10 minutes, walked 5 then did speed intervial training to total 3.90 miles. I can never get it to actually click to 4 miles.... one day.

Today, no issues, so did the shovelglove routine again. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

PS: ideally, I need to shug on run days if back soreness is going to linger.
Sadly, this post was the last good run that I had. Converted to walking mostly due to travel and not having proper running equipment. On vacation this week, plan on picking it back up next week.

zenboar

Post by zenboar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 am

Are you doing a good cool down and stretching routine afterwards? One thing I've noticed is I can be a bit sore in the lower back on days after my kettlebell/sledgehammer work if I don't do some stretching work and such afterwards. From what I've deduced I'd have to say that the workout creates tightness in the hamstrings. If I don't stretch them out afterwards, that tension transfers to my lower back for the next day or so.

Oddly enough, I started working with a 47lb sandbag (wasn't quite enough to make it 50 and didn't want to run out for a whole other bag) and the work is very back-intensive. But my back feels like a million bucks the next day.