Amy's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Amy's Check In

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 am

Hi there! I'm new to No S and have just gotten through my first week testing the waters... I started on April 1st with an S day, and then had four green days this week, plus one red day on Wednesday (but I did contain it instead of going crazy like I might have in the past). And today is another S day - I am a bit apprehensive about not going all overboard and undoing all my effort during the week.

I am a regular exerciser (running, biking, hiking, going to the gym) but years of disordered eating (mainly for stress relief!) have made it really hard for me to get to a happy weight and stay there. I am so tired of swinging back and forth. So I am hoping No S will bring some peace of mind to my life, by taking out all the mental bargaining I tend to do...

Fingers crossed! :wink:
Last edited by Amy3010 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Amy and welcome! Thank you for posting on my journal. It sounds like you're doing a lot better than I am! I already had more pastries than I should have all week. I stopped by the World-renowned "Gayle's" bakery in Capitola, and couldn't decide what to get, so I got more than I really should have. Anyway, I'm glad it's an S day, because that means that I haven't "failed," I just slowed things down a bit. I'm going to keep persevering, though. Can't give up on myself or look for something else because this is as good as it gets, as far as diets go anyway :) Hope you have a good day.

Lara

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:01 am

I've never heard of Gayle's bakery but it sure sounds dangerous! But if it was an S day then it was okay, right?

I really enjoyed my S day yesterday. I went hiking for two hours with a friend of mine and in the past I would always feel tormented when we would go back to her house afterwards and she would have a bottle of wine and some snacks for us - I would never want any of it because I was on some diet most of the time, but I didn't want to turn her generosity down... But yesterday I just thought, well it is an S day, so it is okay. And for the first time I really felt relaxed and happy and enjoyed myself! That is such a different kind of energy.

Happy Easter!

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:53 am

And therein lies the beauty of this eating plan....

You can be perfectly relaxed to say to yourself and others, on an S day,
"Yes please, I would love to have that yummy treat"

You can be perfectly relaxed to say to yourself and others, on an N day
"No thank you, I don't have sweets or snacks during the week, I just save it for the weekend."

Welcome to a plan where you can really be happy with yourself.
When nothing goes right...go left.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:15 am

I feel happy about my two S days and I am eager to get going on a good week of green N days! Today is actually a holiday here in Belgium (2nd day of Easter) but for me it is an N day - what a relief!

Yesterday evening after coming back from the in-laws I did have some desire to eat just to relieve the stress from being there but because it was still okay (an S day) I didn't feel as desperate about it, and therefore, it ended up being reasonable.

I totally agree - this plan takes away a lot of the stress in having to be so restrictive all the time. So far, it's awesome!

My plan for today: I've already had breakfast and driven my husband and youngest son to a badminton tournament about 15 km from here. Then I will go running at 10, have lunch, take my middle son to badminton tournament at 12:30, carry an apple in my purse just in case the badminton tournament goes late so I have a safe thing to eat to keep me out of the sports hall cafetaria! Then I have already planned what to make for dinner when we get back.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:24 am

I had to count Monday as a red day even though I was pleased with how it went. I kept to my plan but when we got home from the badminton tournament, my son and his girlfriend had made brownies and they were so proud of themselves, I had half of one to taste it for them - it was good, too! They were obviously happy that I approved so it was worth it for me to to have a red day for that! I had to be very conscious not to go overboard on anything else, though - once you've done one thing that makes it a red day, it's a slippery slope to other things, isn't it? I did take a small second helping of the new vegan pasta recipe I made from the Engine 2 cookbook (delicious) but I stopped there - phew!

Yesterday, Tuesday, was my first 100% vanilla No-S GREEN day - success!!! I have been carrying an apple around with me the past week, as my one modification in case I get hungry in the late afternoon, to tide me over til dinner. And yesterday I never needed it, so I ended up having just my three meals (three plates) and nothing else.

This is huge for me because I never thought I was able to go a whole day with just three meals and no snacks and now I see I can. Wow! :D

BertinHouston

Post by BertinHouston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Fantastic! I am totally with you on that one, never thought I could make it through an entire day with just 3 meals. To some degree we are all 'conditioned' to think that snacking is beneficial.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:56 am

Good job Amy - doing great - isn't it empowering to be able to eat your 3 meals with nothing between - what a concept, huh?!

Keep on posting - it really helps to keep on track. Yay, you. :mrgreen:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 am

WELCOME AMY! SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE DOING GREAT!! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Yesterday was another GREEN day - no apple! It is very empowering to KNOW that you can make it til meal time.

I am also down 3 pounds since I started last week, which feels good too. I am going to keep chugging along with this, it makes me happy to not be all obsessed and I am really enjoying my meals.

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Congratulations on your weight loss, Amy! Now that's inspiring!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:15 am

Yesterday was: GREEN!

Took the kids out shopping + lunch, and where I usually would have been stressed out about where we would eat and what I would be able to find for myself (at the very least something vegetarian, which is not always low calorie in restaurants) and whether or not it would fit into my diet du jour, I wasn't worried at all and that in itself was refreshing.

I ordered a roasted veggie panini and when it came and looked a lot smaller than the lunch plates I have been dishing myself up at home lately :wink: So I was a bit worried about making it through the afternoon til dinner. But it went okay, made sure I drank a couple of big glasses of water when we got home, and then had a nice big plate of dinner a bit earlier than usual.

Looking forward to another good day today, and honestly, also to loosening the reigns a bit on the weekend (although the thought of all that freedom does make me nervous)!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 am

I have to mark yesterday as RED....sigh....

The day was green until we went out for dinner in the evening, to a chinese place. I had three of the nibbles they put on the table before you order, then I had more than 1 plate of food for my dinner, and finally, I had the cookie and chocolate they serve with tea...I could maybe justify one of these things, but certainly not all three. So it has to be red.

But - I did not have anything else when we got home, I did not make it worse. So I am glad for that.

Now two S days to relax my vigilance a bit - just hope I don't go crazy!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 am

Yesterday was an S day gone wild...frustrating. Today I intend to be tad more moderate :wink:

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Glad to see you're still doing well Amy, and congratulations for posting your red day on Friday. I believe that failures are important. Every red day you acknowledge, makes every green day a sweeter victory.
Denying our failures diminishes our successes.
Back on the green wagon for next week...
When nothing goes right...go left.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 am

Skykitty, thanks for the encouragement! Honestly, late Saturday evening, feeling bloated from my wild S day and discouraged from my red Friday, I began doubting whether this was something I could do... I started thinking of all the restrictions I would need to place on myself on Sunday to get myself "back on track". But then I remembered reading some of the discussions here saying that you shouldn't worry too much about S days in the beginning, that you should focus on getting the N days down first. So I decided to have faith for a bit longer...

I had a reasonable but non restrictive S day on Sunday, and I am feeling more positive for the week to come. My intention for the next five days are to go for green days, one day at a time, exercise each day, and wait til Friday for a glass of wine (and practice glass ceiling on the weekend).

It is hard not to want "instant success" but I keep telling myself that I am working for something much more important here - long term peace with my eating habits. And that if I can stick it out for the long haul I will end up being a much happier person, and if I have faith, my weight will either take care of itself or I will have peace with the weight I can naturally maintain. So it's a question of letting go of the outcome, and embracing the process! Not always an easy thing to do...but I am not going to give up.

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 am

Amy, I've enjoyed reading all the posts in your journal. I'm 100% with you on wanting to finally find peace with food and with my weight, no matter where No S takes me.

Let's go GREEN this week!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 am

It sounds like you get it. Just follow the rules. Learning to be moderate is the key. Being too restrictive can back fire on you.

For me exercise is a huge factor as well. I am 56 and the exercise has helped me tone and build muscle as I lose.

Good luck!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Yes! Being at peace with food and my body! This is what I want, too! And I need to remind myself of this every time I think that I need a drastic diet "just for a day or two-----for a kick-start." It's my behavior with food, not my weight, that I'm working on here.

Here's to a Green Day! The first in a week :)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Amy, You are doing well! Welcome to No S! :mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 am

Ann, R.Jean, Lara, and Patty - thanks so much for the encouraging words! It helps to know that there are so many supportive souls here.

Yesterday was - GREEN! :mrgreen:
So happy to get a good start to the week and feeling positive. I had three 1 plate meals and got my run in - 9 km.

I am looking forward to having my first fully green week this week. Fingers crossed!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:04 am

Welcome, saw you on the 21 day challenge!!!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello Amy, Thank you for the encouraging words. Just asking how I'm doing is encouraging to me: knowing someone else cares enough to post on my check-in page. Yesterday was a Green Day! The first in a week. I had some pretty big plates, but didn't stuff myself silly. Feels good! :D

Sounds like you're doing well, and running, too! Good for you! Here's to our first Green Week! WE CAN DO THIS! :D

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

"It's my behavior with food, not my weight, that I'm working on here."

Amen to that - couldn't agree more. :D

Doing great Amy - lots of support on these boards. :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm

:mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:56 am

Another green day yesterday - but just! Things were fine up til dinner time and I even got to the gym and did weights, treadmill and elliptical.

I had a long intense phone call with a family member yesterday evening which meant I missed my dinner (my kids went ahead and ate without me - luckily I had the food all prepared when I got the call), and then had to eat after. I was ready to scarf down anything in sight, but managed to keep myself on track and stick to one plate and then get the heck out of the kitchen! I did break my resolution not to have wine during the week this week, but I stuck to glass ceiling so I am still calling it green.

Feeling tired because I didn't sleep too well with thoughts swirling around my head, which often makes it hard for me not to eat a lot the next day. So today might be hard. I am planning on doing some yoga this morning and keep busy otherwise.

Thanks to you all who have left such nice comments here! I think knowing I would have to report a red here helped a lot to keep me in check last night! :wink:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 am

Glad to hear you didn't let life derail you and you ate your meal and made it a green day.

You are doing really great! This is my second go and I learned a lot since I left No S the first time..what happened, I gained about 18 lbs...and the sanity I found here left me.

This time around I can say that "No S" is the smartest thing I have going on..I always make sure I eat enough so I'm hungry but not totally starving when it is my next meal time.

And I have truly come to know in my heart and head, that a binge is so just not worth it..it stills my joy and it also doesn't give my body a chance to enjoy a meal really. Since waiting I finally can say I enjoy my food.

Keep up the great adventure...they say in time we will get it if we stick with it...

BertinHouston

Post by BertinHouston » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:01 am

Good job on coping with the life-related stress Amy, so easy to find an 'excuse' for non-compliance - there is almost always an easy one available!

SophiaLara

Post by SophiaLara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Way to go, Amy. Dealing with life and staying on No S! Glad to hear that you practice yoga. It's such a great stress-reliever, among a multitude of other things! And yes, it helps so much to report here, doesn't it! I find myself really wanting to rake-up those green days! Good luck to you for today :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 pm

(((hugs)))
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks for the supportive comments! Unfortunately, I do have to mark yesterday as a RED day... I was bummed about it yesterday evening and ready to throw in the towel, but this morning I got up and thought, just mark it red and move on.

So, what tripped me up? It was being tired in combination with an impulse buy - letting one of my kids buy potato chips at the store to include with the already planned dinner of tomato soup and sandwiches. When it came time for dinner, I plated my soup, sandwich and a portion of chips, no problem. It was later, when those chips were calling to me that I caved and had some outside of meal time. If the chips hadn't been in the house, or if I had gotten individual bags for each kid (which is a strategy I often use) I would have been okay.

I read somewhere how willpower decreases when we are tired and I know this to be very true for me!

What else can I do but keep on chugging along and have faith in the process - persistance not perfection, right?

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 am

Right...and I'm right there with you on the chips...a totally eat the whole bag person...I used to go on binges eating the whole bag, plus candy and whatever else wasn't glued down.

Anyhow, I don't bring them in the house anymore..I don't have little ones at home so no temptation there.

Sorry you had to mark a red, but you are right...persistence not perfection will be the key..most bingers are also perfectionists...finding the gray area is the best place to be...

:wink:

gk

Post by gk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 am

Amy3010 wrote: Unfortunately, I do have to mark yesterday as a RED day... I was bummed about it yesterday evening and ready to throw in the towel, but this morning I got up and thought, just mark it red and move on.

I read somewhere how willpower decreases when we are tired and I know this to be very true for me!

What else can I do but keep on chugging along and have faith in the process - persistance not perfection, right?
Yep - "mark it and move on"......it's taken me a long time to learn that, many ups and downs without it. Can't let the reds get a hold of you. Every day is new - one red doesn't have to take over the week. One day at a time....

I am with ya - whenever I'm tired, the last thing I want to do is strenghten my willpower by resisting goodies (I have four young kids in the house, so the temptation is always there). I've just been trying to stay away from it and keep myself extra busy. Lots of deep breaths, too (surprisingly, that actually helps).

Striving for progress, NOT perfection - yes, keep that thought. It will make this seem much more achievable and less frustrating.

Keep hangin in there - you CAN do this!!! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Amy3010

Divine intervention

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:57 pm

It felt like divine intervention this morning when I went to get my mail - and the No-S book I ordered a while back was there in my box!!! Just when I was getting myself over yesterday being red and feeling discouraged, there it was, to boost my resolve.

I spent the afternoon reading the first couple chapters very slowly to absorb everything!

It's nearly 9 pm so I can safely report that today was - GREEN!: three very reasonable plates. I pretty much broke the evening snacking habit a few years back so that won't trip me up. I am enjoying a glass of wine, though (I deserve it after sitting through a parent meeting at school).

Exercise for Thursday: 6 km run

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:26 pm

I went through a time when I ate NO refined sugars, and it was recommended to remove it all from the house. It helped me to put certain foods in a separate cupboard for my sons, that I declared off limits to me! Then when I got something for me out of my cupboard, I didn't have to look at the sweets.

The individual bags would help too. Tell yourself , "I'm not saving money if I end up eating it all later!" 8)

Glad you got the book, its almost all here on the site, but its good to just sit and read though it in order.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Glad your book arrived...I like to highlight, nothing like having paper in hand..

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm

So far, so good today - but it is 4 pm, the kids are due home any moment and I am starting to feel that Friday afternoon "the weekend has started" celebratory itch to eat something...

So a visit here might be helpful to remind me what I am doing, right?
And keep me strong til tomorrow morning...

Pizza dough is rising for our dinner, I had two reasonable plates so far today (well, lunch was kind of big) and went to the gym already. Finished reading and underlining lots of things in the No S book this afternoon.

All I have to do is hang in there til pizza time! :lol:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Go on a walk!
You can do this. Get distracted and soon enough you will sit down to pizza and be "done" with the temptations.
Almost Saturday!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I know you probably already ate your pizza, but next time make sure you're not thirsty. You said you went to the gym. I'm amazed if I drink a glass or two of water what a difference it makes, or a glass of milk, a hot tea or hot chocolate. :idea:
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:14 am

I know I shouldn't probably suggest modifications, since I'm not what you would call a successful No S'er, and mods are frowned upon in the first year, BUT.....

If Friday nights are a real problem for you, you might want to consider moving your weekends a tad.....I start mine 4:00 Friday night and the weekend ends by 4:00 Sunday. I always want to start enjoying the weekend early and by Sunday afternoon I'm ready to resume the routine of N Days, so it seems like a good fit for me. I just started doing it again this time around (I'm an on-again, off-again No S'er), but I've tried it in the past and liked it then, too.

I also have the mod of 1 optional snack every weekday. It seems to be the only way I can stick to this diet for now. I eventually might go straight Vanilla, but honestly, I end up eating less at each meal with the snack. Oh well, baby steps, right?

Like I said, maybe I shouldn't have shared that suggestion as I'm still struggling myself, but I thought I'd just throw that option out there as something to consider.

Hang in there and keep thinking GREEN!!!

Enjoy your weekend! 8)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 am

Patty, Liz and GK - thanks for the support and suggestions.
It was close, but I have to be honest and report yesterday evening as a FAIL...

My son goes climbing on Friday after school and so we never eat our dinner til about 7:30 which is just too long for me to wait. So I do need to come up with a strategy to bridge the gap, or a modification that works for me. Yes, I should have gone for a walk and/or had something to drink - why didn't that occur to me? I guess I was too focused on what I was trying NOT to do, than looking for what I COULD do! Thanks for the idea, GK, about moving the weekend - if I can't get my Fridays sorted out I may consider that. It might also be better to have an apple in the afternoon instead of white knuckling it and failing in the end - kind of a miserable feeling!

Well, at least it is the weekend now, and the one big relief I feel this morning is that whatever happens, for the next two days, I cannot fail! And...I do think I learned some valuable lesson - hopefully I can apply it next Friday :wink:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 am

Amy3010 wrote:Well, at least it is the weekend now, and the one big relief I feel this morning is that whatever happens, for the next two days, I cannot fail! And...I do think I learned some valuable lesson - hopefully I can apply it next Friday :wink:
Amen to this sista...no failing on the weeks..less stress for sure...

We are all learning and growing in this journey on reaching for sanity when it comes to food..

deb

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:46 pm

gk wrote: If Friday nights are a real problem for you, you might want to consider moving your weekends a tad.....I start mine 4:00 Friday night and the weekend ends by 4:00 Sunday. I always want to start enjoying the weekend early and by Sunday afternoon I'm ready to resume the routine of N Days, so it seems like a good fit for me. I just started doing it again this time around (I'm an on-again, off-again No S'er), but I've tried it in the past and liked it then, too.

8)
I've done this too when my hubby and I had our date night on Friday, the only trick is sometimes I would forget that the S day stopped on Sunday afternoon!! But it's true, usually by Sunday afternoon I'm ready to get back to normal, especially if I've overindulged. Have a great weekend!! 8)
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

...to go a bit further in the discussion of S days - is there anyone else who doesn't really like having Sunday as an S day? I just feel like two full days is an awful lot of time to be unleashed.

I have been thinking that I would be perfectly okay with just Saturday as my S day. I've always done that with exercise too - Saturday is the one day I don't always exercise. (I might by accident, if we go for a walk or something, but I never plan it like I do on the other days).

Would this be too restrictive? I've read the book and I understand the idea behind not getting overly restrictive, but two days just feels like too much!

I suppose it's all up to me, though. It can be an S day, but I can simply go about it like an N day, right?

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 am

Hi Amy, I normally have my blow out on Saturday, Sunday I don't and I think because my body is recouping for Saturday...I don't restrict myself, but the desire to have a full blown S day is not there....

I think just listen to your body, if you don't feel like having extras even though allowed that is okay...we are to get to the point eventually.

I like how you said "unleased" cause it does feel like that doesn't it...like we let the tiger out of the tank....

So for me, I kind of have an N day on Sunday with moderation of other things...not anything like Saturday, but not totally like N days...

deb

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am

I ended up having a reasonable S day on Sunday. I had my breakfast and lunch as regular one plate meals, I had an apple and a slice of homemeade blueberry nut bread for a snack in the afternoon, and then I made this eggplant pasta recipe for dinner and did have seconds (it was so good!). But no wine, and no crazy snacking. Plus I ran 10K. So I am real pleased about how it went.

I realized this morning, I have been doing this for three weeks now. On other diets, this is when I would start getting sick and tired of all the restrictions and start really feeling like giving up, because I would know deep down it was something I could not do for the rest of my life. But with No S, the three weeks have actually flown by and I feel like I am just getting started with something that really could be for the rest of my life. Does this make sense? In any case, this feeling alone makes me feel like I am on the right path here.

My goal for this week is to work on getting 5 green days. I would like to finish this first month on an up note!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am

No S is more of a lifestyle than a diet, and it is so easy to adapt to whatever the day brings. If I have a day I am I especially hungry, I put more on my plates. If I want to go out to eat...no problem. If I want a drink, I have one. Weight loss is gradual, but what this diet/lifestyle really teaches you is good habits. For me improving on my exercise habits has been as crucial as the better eating habits.

So...what you are feeling now after 3 weeks is what I am still feeling after 16 months.

In regards to your question about S days. I stayed with the basic rules of No S for a year before using a modification. I found that my Sundays were always moderate and were often green (unintentionally). Therefore, I float my S days now. I usually take Saturdays and I take a second day if and when I need it. The S days I take during the week tend to be more moderate.

PS: The people who seem to struggle the most are the ones who cannot give up the sweets. That seems to be the hardest habit to break and the quickest habit to come back if you slip.
Maintenance is progress.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 pm

You ARE on the right path! THis is for life!
I feel like, "okay when is this "gig" gonna get old?"
And it doesn't. I actually enjoy this way of life, so it will last!

Great work on the 10K! That's awesome. And your pasta sounds fantastic!

Keep it up. Here to support!

KL

Post by KL » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

"I realized this morning, I have been doing this for three weeks now. On other diets, this is when I would start getting sick and tired of all the restrictions and start really feeling like giving up, because I would know deep down it was something I could not do for the rest of my life. But with No S, the three weeks have actually flown by and I feel like I am just getting started with something that really could be for the rest of my life. Does this make sense? In any case, this feeling alone makes me feel like I am on the right path here. "

Yup, it makes total sense, and you ARE on the right path. :) Here goes 5 days of :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work :!:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

I have never gotten sick of No S, just keep liking it better!! 8)
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks so much for the supportive comments. There is such positivity here, it is amazing. You guys are great!

Yesterday was - GREEN!

Three one-plate meals, exercise was an hour walk downtown for errands, and because I knew dinner would be late (oldest son climbing again), I had an apple at 4 pm. That is the only thing that helps to tide me over for a late dinner, so I am giving myself permission to have that on those days.

My other goal this week is to save the wine until Friday. So far so good! Made myself a pot of tea afer dinner last night and enjoyed it.

I am feeling very positive this morning and hoping to carry this with me through the rest of the week... Hoping it for you too!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Great job.
Hey, if the apple keeps you away from a red, so be it!

Keep up the positivity and good job staying away from the wine till the weekend!
xo

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks, Liz!

Yesterday was GREEN for food, and I stayed away from the wine, too! I will say, if it hadn't been for No-S I would have eaten a lot more yesterday - but wanting to succeed at this trumped my desire to snack, so...

Exercise was a 30 minute bike ride - I met a friend downtown for lunch at our favorite vegetarian restaurant, where I always have the "plate of the day" - how appropriate is that? :D It was delicious too.

Unfortunately, today was a FAIL. Sigh. Oh well. It wasn't a terrible fail, but I had been struggling all day and finally caved. So mark it and move on and fresh start tomorrow. :oops:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:18 am

You are doing well :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 am

Funny but some days the URGE is definitely larger than life itself...so focus on all the good you have done and not on a slip up.

I was hungrier Mon/Tue this week for some reason...

You are doing fantastic...keep your eyes on the prize...a sane relationship with food.

We are the one's in power, not the food...keep strong..

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 am

Thursday = SUCCESS

Three very reasonable plates, exercise at the gym and some yoga at home. One small glass of red wine.

Going to focus on not tripping up today!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 am

Friday turned into a fail late in the day; S days this weekend were busy and chaotic and full of wild food choices.

I read on someone's thread from 2008 or so how they saw people having a fail or two and then giving up and never coming back. Well, I've had a lot of fails in April, but I am not giving up. I am ending the month with a green day and then I intend for May to be an improvement.

In the past, wanting to be perfect always tripped me up. I'm not going to go back to "all or nothing" thinking anymore. Good enough is good enough for me.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 am

Good for you, Amy!!! Good enough IS good enough! Keep on keepin' on! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm so glad you have DECIDED to NOT give up!
Me neither! I had a few fails and I'm even more strong because of them.
We don't have to be perfect. No one is. "Good enough" baby!
Happy Monday!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 am

Glad you are going for it! You are not failing anything, just learning a new habit.
8)
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 am

Yesterday, the last day of April, was a success. :mrgreen: Thanks for all your supportive comments here!

April recap:
- I started No-S on April 1st (yeah, April Fool's day!) at 73.9 kg
- today I weighed in at 72.4 kg (I am only officially weighing in on the first of the month - but I have to admit to frequent "checking" during the month and sometimes more than once a day :oops: )
- in April I had 7 red days and 14 green days. So 1/3 of my No-S days were fails, but 2/3 were a success! Instead of beating myself up for the fails, I am pretty happy about the success. My goal for May is simple: do a little bit better than I did in April, and continue getting the N-day habit solid.
Last edited by Amy3010 on Tue May 01, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 am

That sounds like a great plan! It surely takes time to build the habit...Monday's used to be a oh no dread day to, oh yes, I'll feel great not eating more than my 3 squares..I'll wake up happy...

My first time around last June I was worried too much about my S days, and eventually gave up. I'm still not great with S days, but loving my N days..sanity during the week... :)

Some of us came up with what URGE (to eat) could stand for:

U - Untimely
R - Response
G - Greatly
E - Exaggerated

So true!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am

Congratulations on a great starting month and congrats on the loss too!
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 am

Tuesday May 1st was a SUCCESS!

Technically it could have been considered an S day because it was Labor Day here, but I wanted to keep it green. We did have cookout type food and I was generous in allowing myself chips on my plate - but it was still one plate. I might need to explain to my husband what I am doing - he was looking funny at it! But there is something so nice about not having to make big announcements about what diet I am doing and just keeping it to myself, which is entirely possible on No-S, and one of the things I really love about it. :D

Now it's back to regular programming - Wednesdays were a day I had a tough time with last month - I failed on three out of the four. It's a half day of school here, so my kids come home at lunch, we eat a hot lunch together and then they have homework and sports activities in the afternoon and evening so it feels oddly like a weekend sometimes, but I am determined to get better at them. So that is my intention for today!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 am

Just like your signature line says! You are doing it...being persistent while living life. Food definitely is a pleasure in life for us to enjoy normally :)

Have a great day!

Thanks for stopping by...

My cat seems to be in a lot of pain this morning and the stupid pharmacy won't have his meds until later today..he needs the stuff like now.

deb

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

One of the things I like so far about No-S is that you don't have to tell anyone what you're doing. It's a normal enough eating plan that there's no need for explanation. People have asked me during the week if I wanted sweets or a dessert after lunch, and I just say no. You don't feel compelled to say, "No, I'm on a diet," because, well, it doesn't feel like one! And sometimes when I remember that I'm doing NoS, I don't want one anyway.
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Congrats on your success for yesterday! A good way to start the month!
Good luck today. You can do it. Enjoy that lunch with your kids and pack something yummy away for later so you'll look forward to it.
Isn't NoS so great for the real world? It truly is.
Take care!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks Liz, Jennifer and Deb for stopping by!

Yesterday, May 2nd, was a No S success! I got through the long afternoon by stopping in at the library when I made my first of three kid drop-offs of the day, and picked up three new vegetarian cookbooks. I will say, doing No-S has been making me enjoy my meals much more and also looking forward to cooking more, as well. I guess if you only get three plates a day, you want them to be yummy and satisfying!

The other habit I am working on this month, no wine except Friday and Saturday, was not a success, because I had two small glasses with my husband when he came home from work. Oh well - mark it and move on!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 pm

You are doing fantastic!! Surely this is the best option around as we are learning to enjoy our food and to fend off the URGE attacks!!

Thanks for visiting my thread....

:)

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm inspired by your persistence!!

I am very all or nothing and it really trips me up. I like that I don't have to tell people also. Keep it up you're doing great!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 pm

yay for another success!
you're right: you really want those meals to count when you are super hungry and it's all ya get!
way to go! we can do this!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 am

Hi Deb, Sarahkay, and Liz - thanks for stopping by! I was just telling a friend of mine how amazingly supportive this place is. Everyone is so positive and helpful, which I think is a huge part of why I have been able to stick with this. So thanks to everyone who has stopped by and commented over the past month - I can't tell you how motivating this has been. :D

Yesterday, May3, was a success! On No-S anyway - I had to mark red on my no wine habitcal - I had a glass while talking to my mother on the phone - sometimes I "need" that crutch if the call is particularly stressful, which it kind of was.

Today I really really want to have a green day, so I can achieve my first full 5 day streak of green since starting here. Fridays were hard for me last month - I failed on pretty much all of them. I'm going to do my best and we shall see what happens.

Have a great day!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm

:D
I love your quote "persistence not perfection."
That could pretty much sum up what I need to focus on in LIFE!
Great job on your success!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks, Liz, for reminding me of my quote - because I need to be reminded right now! Yesterday, Friday, ended up being a fail. :oops:

I was doing really well until I made brownies for my kids in the afternoon for when they come home from school. Then I made the pizza dough for pizza night...and the rest is history! Maybe I really do need to do the mod where S-days start on Friday evening and go til Sunday lunch???

I think I would still like to try, for the month of May, to get a handle on my Friday evenings, though, and if it just doesn't work, then I will consider modifying it in June. *sigh* :oops:

What a relief that it is Saturday and I can relax my mind on all of this for two days. I did notice this morning, however, that I did not like how my body felt when I got up - still uncomfortably full from last night. This is a good thing, I think. Hopefully next Friday I will remember this feeling! :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat May 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Oh ya. Brownies are a no-brainer for me! No way to resist!

Friday evenings are hard for me, too, as we usually do movie night. I guess it's all about making things work best for YOU. And, most of all, being HONEST about your intentions.

Have a good weekend. Good to realize the not-so-pleasant aftereffects from over-doing it. I hate that. :(

x, liz
Liz

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 am

I think for some Friday might serve as an S day for them. Each of us are different and live different lifestyles.. So instead of feeling badly about Friday's turn them into a feeling good S day. I've seen here some start Friday evening and end the S days Sunday at 4:00, something like that...I guess it would be 48 hours from the time you start :)

I know I would if I needed to. I don't have small children at home anymore, nor do we go out on Friday's so, with that said weekends work for me.

You are doing great...

deb

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks Deb and Liz...I agree, it's a question of building the habit and then fitting it into our particular lifestyles...I am most definitely a work in progress! :D

I'm super happy right now because I finished my 10K in 1:01:36 and it went much better than I was anticipating. :mrgreen: And because I knew I had this race, I was really quite reasonable with eating and drinking yesterday. So it shows me I can certainly be reasonable on an S day.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and see you back here on Monday! :lol:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 06, 2012 4:25 pm

GOOD FOR YOU!
A grand accomplishment, for sure! :D
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Good job on the 10K!
Do you have a next race planned?
Maintenance is progress.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 am

great job on your race!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for your comment. The attachment to food works similarly to the brain pattern for drug addictions, but the good news is there are few people who have to completely eliminate any foods in order to turn things around. In fact, for bingers like myself, we HAVE to learn to incorporate all foods in moderate amounts on at least some occasions or we'll always be vulnerable.

I actually do think we can be completely cured, but it probably takes a good five years. Even then, in our society, the pressure on women to be really thin can reignite the whole shebang. Not to mention all the processed foods, and multiple eating possibilities throughout the day. I don't think Reinhard was purposely waiting a certain period of time before he posted his systems, but he had used No S for 4 years when he finally put it up for the world to see. That always meant a lot to me.

So, we probably have to be vigilant and will be vulnerable for a lot longer than we think we should. Certainly more than a few weeks or months. But the time passes anyway.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm

I love your comment, oolala referring to the amount of patience needed with ourselves to instill these good habits.

Thanks, Amy, for your comments! It's so wonderful to relate on so many levels (the kid arena, husband, etc). I feel blessed to have such supportive virtual pals! :wink:

I hope your Sunday turned out swell. Can't wait to hear about it.
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Oolala, it really encourages me that you are optimistic about the possibility of completely curing an eating disorder! I agree to get there it will definitely take plenty of time and patience, and sliding back into it will always be a danger.

Had a green day yesterday in spite of some big stress - I didn't even turn to wine like I usually do. So I am happy with that. :mrgreen:

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Tue May 08, 2012 4:22 pm

that is AWESOME!! Stressful times are the toughest I think, and that is so great that you got through it successfully!! You have probably built a good foundation with your new habits! You are inspiring and a great supporter! Thanks! :) Have a wonderfully green day ;)

Lily x

Post by Lily x » Tue May 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi Amy

Just thought I'd pop in here to say hello. You're doing so well! I came into the forum feeling really disheartened this evening and now, after reading what you posted on my check in thread and reading the posts here on your thread, I feel so much better!

I'm especially inspired by this:
Amy3010 wrote: I read on someone's thread from 2008 or so how they saw people having a fail or two and then giving up and never coming back. Well, I've had a lot of fails in April, but I am not giving up. I am ending the month with a green day and then I intend for May to be an improvement.

In the past, wanting to be perfect always tripped me up. I'm not going to go back to "all or nothing" thinking anymore. Good enough is good enough for me.
Guilty as charged. That's always been me in the past, perfection or nothing. Doh. I wonder how much closer I'd be to being happy with my eating habits and my body shape if I'd stopped striving for perfection a couple of years ago? But it's not too late, is it? I could even make that my short term goal - to learn to make peace with less than perfection. :)

Thanks again for stopping by. It meant a lot to me today!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 am

Sarahkay and Lily, thank you - I am going through a couple of rough days emotionally (family of origin drama) and it cheers me up so much to hear that something I said is encouraging to you.

I'm so glad actually right now I have No-S as my foundation through all of this - I haven't medicated myself with food or wine at all the past two days. Yesterday was a very solid GREEN. Now, I'm not saying that I will never trip myself up again in the future, and I'm trying not to get cocky and think I have this licked for good, but the fact of the matter is that No-S is so low key that it is entirely possible, once you get the habit going a bit, to keep it up even during stressful times, and that is amazing to me, because I know if I was supposed to be counting calories or points right now, everything would have gone out of the window and I'd be stuffing my face with food and sucking down red wine.

In fact, I would say that having No-S as a framework for myself is actually reducing my stress level, because in preventing me from medicating myself with food/wine, it also relieves me from having the post-binge guilt and self recrimination. And as we all know, that only makes a bad situation worse.

And - coming to this board with all these supportive people is a bright spot in my day, too! :lol:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed May 09, 2012 11:46 am

It is good to see that your habits are becoming a solid part of your life now. I agree that maintaining structure in your eating habits during times of stress can reduce the stress. Disordered eating during these times just brings you down further.

Hope everything works out for you! GREAT JOB!
Maintenance is progress.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Checking in to say "Hi!".
I love what you said about the foundation that No-S provides in stressful times. It's like a solid immoveable thing when all around you in changing.
How awesome is it that you aren't "medicating" yourself with food/wine. This is amazing!

I'm sorry you've had some rough days emotionally. You are a strong woman and can do anything. Carry on and know we are here to cheer you on!
x, liz :D
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you, Liz and r.jean - I really appreciate your support!
And I am so truly glad I have this structure in my life...

Yesterday was actually an S-day - Europe Day here and my husband was home. I did keep to a normal green day schedule though and just had my three meals, but I did allow myself a homemade brownie I had made for dessert for everyone after dinner.

It made me happy to do it this way instead of going all out like have been doing on the weekends so far, and it also made me see that moderation IS possible on an S-day.

Today is going to end up green too - I spent the entire day with a very good friend of mine, we had a "plate of the day" at a wonderful vegetarian restaurant for lunch and visited the Japanese Garden in the city of Hasselt, which was lovely and very peaceful. So I was able to put my thoughts onto other things. I feel very satisfied and I know I can navigate the rest of the day without a problem. In spite of everything else going on in my life, THIS is a wonderful feeling. I'm sure a lot of you understand what I mean.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I hope things get better for you soon! Way to go on not stressing yourself out with binging. That was my go-to cure for a long time, and I'm just now seeing how unhelpful it really is!

You are so inspiring to me. Keep up the great work! I'm sure all of us will be thinking of you!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 am

I spoke too soon yesterday - LOL - what is the old saying about pride going before a fall??? :oops:

After I wrote those words yesterday saying it was going to be green, I got another emotionally charged phone call and, even though it was in no way over the top, I did flip back to my old coping mechanisms and eat and drink some things that meant I could not mark a green anymore. Sigh. Oh well, live and learn, and mark it and move on. I am still proud of myself for handling things better earlier in the week. I am also glad that the family drama seems to have been resolved to a certain degree as well, which is a huge relief.

It also makes me extra determined to go green today, so I don't have two reds this week. Maybe that is a good thing, because Fridays are always so tough for me.

In any case, I really appreciate all the support - thank you! :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm sorry about the emotional time you are going through.
Mark it and move on. You are better than last week. Just think of overall progress.
Good luck this weekend. ENJOY!
Liz

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri May 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time Amy! You sound really determined to stick to your new habits though which is great :) Keep at it! Hope you are having a good Friday.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Well, my Friday was a fail, but I am going to mark it and move on. Things have calmed down and I feel drained from all the upheaval that happened, and like I need to regroup. Don't worry, I'm not giving up! I am definitely focusing on building my good habits and my overall progress over time. Thanks for the encouragement!

So glad today is an S day though and I don't have to think about things. :wink: My husband and boys are taking me out to lunch for Mother's Day tomorrow and I am looking forward to that. Hope you all are having a good weekend!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Don't give up!
Happy Mothers' Day. Let the men in your life spoil you rotten!
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:05 am

Monday: fail :oops:

A friend I rarely see came over for lunch and I made us a nice meal with the intention of sticking to one plate but when she passed me the bowl after she took seconds, I put a bit extra on my plate. I'm not sure why, but obviously my No S habits are not completely steady yet. And once I had done that, my mind went into what the hell mode, and I had a few more things the rest of the day that made it a most definite fail. :oops: :oops:

So far 4 fails this month. My goal was to do better in May than in April (7 fails) so I can still do that but I will need to be a bit more vigilant!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Amy that's hard when our schedules are thrown off. And it should be a GOOD thing when it's by an old-time friend. But nonetheless, at times we are out of our groove.
Move on! 4 fails this month is pretty darn good. I like your goal about doing better than last month. That is realistic and good thinking!
Take care girl.
XO
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks, Liz. It was a good time, and perhaps that is why I gave in? She is also an athlete (professional cyclist) and a big hearty eater (she had seconds, thirds and fourths - LOL!) and I think I just wanted to go with the flow of the day... It was very healthy food too!

I suppose this might be something that could be considered an S event once I graduate from Vanilla? :?:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed May 16, 2012 1:25 am

You are doing great Amy! Ask yourself what this same event might have looked like before No S. I bet that you still showed some restraint even if it was a red.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 am

that is so true. i find my binges are not really binges anymore, just overeating. don't worry amy! i was discouraging by my fails, but overall we are making great progress. :)