NoSnacker Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Day 13 & 14 of 21 (S Days)

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 am

6/2 & 3 - (Day 13 & 14 of 21) - S days

Well I made it thru the bike trek without killing myself. Used a bike that I have never rode before and was not familiar with the gears....anyway going up a small hill I thought I was in my lowest gear and practically was crawling,,,,no matter how hard I was peddling to get to the top my bike stopped in mid stream and I fell over...first I waited to see what pain I was feeling....not too bad, the elbow and butt hurt, then I realized I was in the other lane and my immediate thought was "oh shit, if a car comes over that hill I'm dead", talk about a overweight 55 year old women trying to get up fast and get to the other side of the rode.

Good news is my elbow is a little banged up and so far I don't feel any other pain.

Then, my friend's chain fell off and she stopped, well I was looking at my chain and didn't see her stop and ran into her bike, but was able to grab her bike bag which kept me from falling over the SAME way, but instead I was bruised and cut a bit on the leg that saved me from falling.

But for both incidents it was good we were on the upward climbs verses going fast and falling. And towards the end it hit me, I was in the HARDEST gear when going up the hill I fell down on.....DUH!

Food on Saturday wasn't too bad, we had ice cream cake for her sons birthday (who we stayed with in PA), did munch on things but in front of everyone. I still ate too much..they made macaroni salad, which is a downfall for me...had some with lunch and 2 servings at dinner...just love the stuff.....I don't make it as that is one food that I can binge on..

Sunday was a bust, ate snacks all the way home in the car, came home and had pizza for dinner. So had breakfast and lunch, but the rest of the day was terrible.

Back to an N day. Feel like crap...glad I can work from home today...

Off to the shower for me...

I'm not sure how much I'll be on the site, want to try and limit my time on the computer and perhaps move more, do more things around the house.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 pm

So there were falls in a couple of areas of life. Teh good news is it sounds like there are bruises only.

Ah, blessed N days. Though mine don't feel quite as blessed anymore even when I'm compliant. Rarely hungry on same or less food. Hmm... Not thinking about what to change because I'm not willing to change anything yet. And weight feels steady. Clothes still fitting right.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:13 am

So sorry about the falls - but I am glad it wasn't anything more serious. Can be really bad to fall from a bike...

Thank goodness for N days, right? Have a good week!

NoSnacker

Day 15 of 21 (Fail)

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

6/4 - Fail - (Day 15 of 21)

No excuses, just really didn't care. I feel like I might be discouraged deep down about the weight still...not going anywhere.

Breakfast was a huge slice of leftover pizza and a Luna bar, which I should have made a better choice..but because of the Luna bar and size of pizza I already figured I screwed up...and made a conscience decision to go red.

Snacked on a whole bag of trail mix instead of making some lunch and it didn't really appeal to me, just kept eating.

I was full but managed to eat 1/2 of a chicken taco and fries with gravy..we ordered out.

What a horrible day food wise...

But today is a new day...

Breakfast: strawberries and container of yogurt
Lunch: 1/2 of left over chicken taco and mango w/blackberries
Dinner: Not sure yet, going after work with a friend

Snacks: NO "No Choice"
Sweets: Nope "No Choice"

Exercise, didn't feel like it yesterday or today..but will be sure to tomorrow.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I'm, sorry, Deb.
We've all been there in the "I don't care" mentality. It does sound like the scale is warping things, frustrating things a bit.

Was breakfast with the pizza/luna a one-plate thing? If so, it sounds like the guilt that it was maybe BIGGER than normal is what sent you into a tailspin. Otherwise you could have thought: one plate of, well, anything is fine!

But when you said "conscience decision to go red"...I so have been there. It's fascinating after all these times of HATING how I feel red/after that I still make that DECISION.

Today IS a new day. I had the biggest binge Sunday. Never thought to recover but I took it easy mentally yesterday. Read a lot of Beck affirmations, exercised, ate 3 healthy meals, etc. etc.

And today I feel more confident about things. As quickly as you "went red"...you go also "get green".

xo

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm

I agree with Liz. Why exactly was breakfast a fail? If you get too strict about what constitutes an okay breakfast or any meal, it increases the chances of stimulating the WTHeck effect. Now, that itself can be overcome, but it's best not to wake it up in the first place.

How big was the bag of trail mix? About what would cover a plate if you had dumped it out? A rather dense lunch, but lunch none the same. Or could be, just for today.

1/2 a taco and fries. Dinner

Listen, you don't eat like this all the time. And it seems okay to have a few N days like this. To change eating permanently is such a mental game. We have to be as careful of not getting so discouraged we go overboard as of what we actually eat.

I know it's a drag about the scale, but given your normally great exercise habits, the addition of smarter eating seems like it would have to be an advantage to your health even if you don't lose weight for the time being.

Glad you're back to feeling more balanced today. Hope you have a glimmer of faith you might be able to stop at the big breakfast next time.

Actually, I think you should plan to have pizza and a Luna bar for breakfast on one N day a week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Sounds like me and you had the same kind of day, and attitude, yesterday. I also got the "I don't cares" at 11am after giving in to a craving for chocolate, followed by the "might as well make the most of it and keep indulging". Like Liz and Oolala have said, it is a new day and I'm back on track so far. Hope your day goes well too!

I had the same thing happen to me on my bike during a duathlon. I underestimated the grade of a hill because it was so short and my legs froze. I could not make the revolution and was on my side. I was so embarrassed.

NoSnacker

Day 16 of 21 (Fail)

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 am

6/5 - Fail - (Day 16 of 21)

Day was pretty good, went to dinner with a friend and it really wasn't too bad, but had an extra piece of bread and a shot glass dessert, which turned my day to red.

Came home and was watching a movie and finished off some vanilla wafer cookies with milk. Didn't need any of the extras.

ibb(liz), oolala, rungirl, thanks for the comments. I think for sure I figured the luna bar was really a candy bar in my mind, sweet. the pizza was huge, but did fit on my plate. oolala the trail mix was a bag that had 9 servings :( so loads of calories...

I guess I need to read my cards, have been slacking a tad bit since I went away for the weekend.

I'm soooooooo afraid that I will give up, feels like old patterns to me, it really does...but I can only hope to keep on keepin on...last time I left I just got fatter.

liz, glad you were able to recover, it truly is hard to come back on a Monday..seems like treading water.

rungirl i bet with being in the higher gear i just could not make the revolution...boy at my age i'm lucky nothing broke...can't wait to get out there this weekend for a ride. if i wasn't so tired lately i'd go before dinner...mmm food for thought.

Thanks again everyone, I'll hanging on..today is a new day!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:54 am

Hope things are going better today! I too have been struggling the past three days...just when you think things are going well, then it hits you, right? Oh well, I guess it's all part of the learning process. We can do this, as long as we don't give up.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Have a good day today, Deb. I struggled yesterday too. But moving on.
Take care. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

If I may suggest, though I know from experience that when i get in a real funk, I just won't DO what I need to do, that you go back to reviewing several times a day your list of reasons why you want to change your eating. And your Beck cards.

Which reminds me.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 am

6/6 - Success - (Day 17 of 21)

Yesterday, was a tad tough when I got home from work...here are some of my thoughts...

mmm, I think I want popcorn; almost broke down and made some but my hubby got up from his nap and said what is for dinner, I'll treat...

I had a 1/2 of chicken finger sub and chips, fit on one plate, but the chicken finger sub is pretty hefty (has good portions of chicken fingers). So I thought in my head, i'm complying.

Then after that I thought..mmm, I would like some chocolate, my hubby had some in the freezer...I said to myself "No, No Choice"..there were a couple of those thoughts, but they soon past.

Other thoughts not of food were old negative thoughts...why do i bother, i'll never lose weight again, etc. etc.

But i did make it and i plan on going for a walk as soon as it is light out..to get back into my routine.

Read beck cards, only once yesterday...will read a couple times today and revisit why I want to lose weight...I think it is a matter now of "I don't believe I can anymore".

THANKS oolala, ibb (liz) and amy for your continued support...I know we all have our battles to deal with and we do have a good support group here...

TO be honest, if all of you didn't encourage me, I MOST likely would have quit!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 am

Right back at you, Deb! The support here is one of the major reasons I am still here, tackling a third month. So glad you had a good day yesterday - I'm striving for the same today. We can do this!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Deb, I gently suggest you change the title of your Beck list on "reasons to lose weight" to "reasons to eat sanely." It could take the pressure off the scale and focus on the core of peace with food. Let's imagine you were thin but still ate and felt the way you do when you overeat. (A lot of women do. In fact, Liz is thin, aren't you, Liz?) Do you think you'd be happy? I doubt it. It just doesn't feel good to either overeat or continually be full. Or to be thinking about food so much.

I wonder if NE's actually think about food a fair amount, but it doesn't bother them.

I've never heard any eating disorder therapists talk about clients possibly being attracted to the "being naughty" aspect of sneak eating. Or maybe they call it something else.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Glad you resisted, Deb. You're making that resistance muscle stronger.
oolala is right about changing your cards to "eating sanely". The bonus of "losing weight" is an added bonus to sane eating and good habits.
I don't have weight to lose (of course 5 pounds would be great), but always battle the overly full feeling, bloated, overeating, etc. And, my bad habits really are a step away from me REALLY needing to lose weight, ya know?
So, keep it in the head, your reasons to change.

Be good to yourself and you CAN do this. :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

NoSnacker, so sorry to hear of your recent bike mishap and your current struggles with NoS! You are so fortunate have received minor injuries...it could have been so much worse!

I agree with oolala about rewording your cards...I believe that NoS is all about changing belief systems, forming strong eating habits and coming to peaceful terms with eating and food. As Liz nicely put it, weight loss is a nice bonus resulting from those changes. The emphasis shouldn't be on weight loss...although ultimately that's what most of us want.

Be gentle and patient with yourself and go forward in the best way that you can each day. Eventually you'll return to your former frame of mind...slow and steady!

Best wishes to you!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

NoSnacker

Day 18 or 21) - Fail

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:33 am

6/7 - Fail - (Day 18 or 21)

No comments really, just marking and trying to move on.

Do have to say I did well until my husband offered me a kit kat, then of course I pretty much ate a whole bag of trail mix.

I do know for sure, the stuff did taste good before, not anymore...but I still ate it.

I'll need to read over some stuff here and get seriously strict on my N days or my ship will sink!

Hanging on to my life raft :(

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Oh, sorry to hear this, Deb! But keep hanging on tight - don't let go! We can do this!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm sorry, Deb. Take care today and move on!
Liz

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Friday was red, had 4 this week...

But for my S days I plan on having 2 S events a day, eat normal the rest of the time....

SICK of weight going up and down, up and down..very very discouraging.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I had four reds this week too...it is discouraging, it really is. What else can we do, though, but keep on going? Hang in there and have a good weekend (two S events per day sounds very reasonable)!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Keep your chin up NoSnacker (and Amy too!)...and just keep going. You might maintain for awhile until your motivation comes back, but that's okay - so much better than eating out of control every day and then facing all the mental backlashing that follows.
I think you will find that limiting and being selective with the sweets and snacks that you allow over the weekend will be extremely beneficial for you. I think that Reinhard intended it to be that way. He does not have food issues and I don't think he knew what he was opening up by allowing S days for people who eat for emotional reasons or eat sweets uncontrollably.
I am proof that it can be done...this has been my way of eating since the first of the year. Have I been completely perfect? No. Will I overeat or eat something I shouldn't in the future? Yes. But the difference for me now is that I just keep on going - immediately. There is no, "I blew it, so I'll go crazy and restart again tomorrow" type of thinking. I get back on track immediately - and that has made all the difference.
Read your cards or your little booklet NoSnacker and keep reading them. Maybe make some new ones like: I am so motivated to simply eat 3 meals today! or maybe "Three meals - no snacks - no sweets!"
Target your problem.
I hope your mood lifts and you get back on track! I'll be rooting for you!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Been a rough few days. I just don't get it..I hate how terrible I feel when I binge, yet I binge.

Today I'm trying again...not sure how many fails I had, so I'll go back to my habitcal and update.

I really don't know what to do to get out of the I don't care stage...but yet I do, but not enough...who knows.

Never give up trying, not other option..cannot diet that is for sure.

Definitely the same ole pattern..do great for a couple months, a couple slips then next I know I'm 2 weeks of pretty much red.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Hang in there Deb! One day it will click.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:32 am

Oh, Deb, I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling...it is hard, really hard sometimes. If you're having trouble getting your mind straight about doing this, I just wrote a long comment to a post by Sarahkay on the general forum about podcasts that really helped me get in the right mindset to where I am able to do No-S in a sustainable way... http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/2 ... eight-loss

I don't know, maybe they would be useful to you, too? They did help me out enormously to get a grip on my own emotional eating...and as Mimi says above, perhaps No-S isn't really designed for those of us who binge for emotional reasons, although it is an awesome system for habit building.

Try to have a good day today and don't give up on yourself!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm sorry, Deb. I can totally relate to the rough days. I had them really the last few weeks, but kinda had to have a "come to Jesus" moment (excuse the terminology, but it fits) last weekend. I had hit an all-time low and had to really get "real" with myself. Listening to the podcasts about strictness, what the heck, in defense of failures, etc.
And then really evaluate what I want.
Don't give up. There's nothing out there that's a better option. You can do this and we are all here regardless of success, slip-ups, or total fails. :)
Cuz' we've ALL been there. TAKE CARE
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 am

lbb (Liz) wrote:Don't give up. There's nothing out there that's a better option. You can do this and we are all here regardless of success, slip-ups, or total fails. :) Cuz' we've ALL been there.
Right on, Liz! Hope things are going better, Deb - have a good weekend!

NoSnacker

McDonalds

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am

I watched a documentary yesterday that some guy did about what eating fast food (McDonalds) would do to a person.

He ate McD's for 30 days, breakfast, lunch and dinner...now I know we don't eat like that but what was interesting and hit something in me was in those 30 days he GAINED 27 lbs. The experts that were monitoring his health said it would take 5 months for him to lose the weight he gained in those 30 days...wow that sucks.

His cholesterol went from 167 to 224, and his liver was becoming sick...he was feeling terribly sick and he also became addicted to it.

So when we think we gained 5lbs in one week, cause of binging, it could be and it doesn't come off over night or as fast as it came on.

So binging on the weekends could easily pack on a couple..

I don't know just sharing...I feel like with the binging the last couple weeks I gained weight, maybe like 5lbs, but I'm afraid to get on the scale, and probably won't...as I know I have.

So yes, it is very very easy to gain and to lose weight sensibly it can take a long time to lose it.

Option....keep on tryng is all I can do.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:49 am

Hi, Deb. I've had internet connections problems so have missed many updates.

Though I'm not realy bingeing, I think I feel some of what you're feeling. Just this moment, I am tired of dealing with the desires that don't go away. My fails are small relatively speaking, but enough to keep me from feeling like I'm making any more progress. And I know I have progress t make. I just can't seem to get a vision of how it will happen. My life shows no prospect of anything taking the place of eating. And if I judge by past behavior, I don't seem to have it on the inside, either. But this is no time to make judgements.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 am

I saw that documentary - it was mindboggling. I also recently saw another take on the same idea - the British actress Claire Sweeney did something similar and in 6 weeks she put on over 25 pounds (it was on television in the UK in 2009 and recently aired here in Belgium: "Claire Sweeney's Big Fat Diet") - it horrified me to watch it but at the same time I was fascinated. It was hard to believe such a lovely girl would put herself through this process, but she did, and with incredible gusto. But at the end of the 6 weeks she was really unhappy with herself and her body.

It is incredible to see how quickly we can do serious damage to ourselves through what we are putting in our mouths, seemingly without any effort at all and no thought...and then how difficult it is to reverse the damage afterwards.

I think these kinds of things really illustrate the importance of getting moderate habits ingrained for the long haul, gradually reducing the frequency and severity of binges, and being able to limit occasional wild eating behavior to a day or two before getting right back on track. Because a month-long bender can really undo a lot of hard work...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 am

I think the documentary was called Supersize Me. I'm pretty sure McDonald's actually stopped having their employees routinely ask customers if they wanted larger portions after that movie hit.

The good news is I don't think I could take even two days of that kind of eating now.

I looked up what happened to him. Here's a quotation:
The Supersize expermiment took one month to gain about 25 pounds and have his blood lab work go from healthy to sick. After he was done and started eating healthily/exercising again, it took 8 weeks for his labs to get back to heatlhy levels again (liver enzymes, triglycerides, cholesterol, etc). It took 5 months for him to lose the 1st 20 pounds, and another 9 months to lose the remainder!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am

This discussion illustrates why the one line that I chose out of the No S book as my mantra is "Maintenance is progress, the status quo was gaining weight."

I have lost a lot of pounds over the years and I have always gained the weight back. Until now...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually, I would have liked to see him or someone eat at McDonald's for a month and stop eating when he was full at each meal. Of course, that's a different experiment. Spurlock was trying to point out the problem of such huge portions being available and being presented as reasonable.

I was at a Carl's recently and heard a man who looked to be in his 40's and pretty trim order a burger, fries, and shake. I'm in those places so seldom that I forget how routine that is. But that guy wasn't overweight. In fact, studies have shown that there isn't much difference in what people of different weights order in fast food restaurants. I don't think anyone collected data on how much food people of different weights didn't finish of their meal. And of course they didn't follow them to see what else they ate.

In any case, we are going to eat three reasonable meals today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:29 pm

wow you're right, a one month long bender can undo a lot of work. when i used to binge more, it was usually for about 2 to 3 days at a time. that would totally offset my whole week and i'd have to work hard to get back on track. i was gaining weight gradually because i was beating myself up over indulgences and then trying to restrict myself the rest of the week. one of the things i love about No S is that i can eat a normal sized meal 3 times a day and i dont' have to worry about calories or calorie counting. i've learned a lot from my dieting the last 10 or so months to figure out that i have to eat good things at a meal. a fruit or veggie, a good protein, and moderate amont of carbs. so i have the idea down. the S days are just adding an extra treat here and there. and that is totally workable. before i was worrying about every little calorie and it just wasn't worknig. that is why i was binging so much, i felt so restricted. mcdonalds doesn't happen very often now, and if it did i would try to either pick somethign healthy or limit it to the weekends if i wanted a treat.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

MJ, I, too, feel I learned from my dieting what meals are actually more satisfying in the long run and they are not full of heavy foods. After I determined to quit dieting and I then felt had to choose rich foods just to offset it all and to show that those foods were okay with me. Finally, I realized I still had to choose what to eat and I had PERMISSION to eat lighter meals. I didn't have to have lasagna every day just because I love it. I actually don't have it that often now because I like other meals better and because it's a lot more trouble than what I usually make.

Sorry if this is too much chit chat on your thread, Deb!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 am

hi, sorry missing in action...struggling, struggling...

good news is my friend of 35 years has lost 10lbs just by not snacking on the food she prepares at each meal...although healthy it was calories..she read it in the no s book somewhere.

so i guess that is an encouragement to me...now if i can just stop binging and start caring and believing in myself.

right now i don't have either going on.

but i'm not going to give up..

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Just keep going...spend some time rereading the NoS diet testimonials and look through the NoS Catch Phrase Glossary. I find that helpful when at a low point. Or set up a reward for making it through one green day - something small, but meaningful to you. You can do this...one meal at a time.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi, Deb. Tx for checking in and being honest. It must be tough. But please keep thinking that it is worth your improved health markers to make the temporary sacrifices needed. They are worth the pain of the moment! Remember the peace you've had and face those urges down! Ten minutes, one hour, etc. Go to the movies, go to bed, sleep, cry, whatever! You KNOW you'll be glad you did. But no matter what happens today or tomorrow, we're on your side.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am

Hi Deb - I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time...just do the best you can and hang in there. Is there something you could do to change things up and give yourself a boost of inspiration?

I hope it gets better soon - we are definitely rooting for you!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks everyone....good news is I was able to ride my bike both Saturday and Sunday actually 17 miles today, helped that I started chatting with another bike rider and found she is a breast cancer survivor.

Went grocery shopping so I'm ready to face the week in getting back on track.

My plan is not to give in to binging today...life has so much more to offer than a binge...

Thanks again,
deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Here's sending you the fast-between-meals vibe.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 am

Today I'm hoping for a solid day with no snacking or sweets..I rarely do seconds, well unless I'm in a binging frenzy.

I'll grab hold of that "fast between meals" vibe from Oolala...

Icing my back at the moment, then I'll make my lunch. Planned meals for the day:

Breakfast: apple/greek yogurt

Lunch: Green salad with veggies, turkey luncheon meet

Dinner: fish, veggies, red grapes

Exercise: Rest day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Out of curiosity, are you trying to low carb it?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm

funny you should ask, i decided to try that..as i'm a carb addict for sure...we'll see....i noticed i was eating A LOT of white pasta and chips and candy, ice cream...just way over board, feeling like crap.

so trying to see if i cut back on the white stuff how i'll feel...

i do make good food choices except when i'm binging....

had 3 cupcakes yesterday, ice cream, fries,

just want to stop.. ya know.. :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 pm

So I have decided to mark my calendar with YELLOW for a binge free day, GREEN if was successful with No S rules, RED if binged.

So basically for now I'm going to do my best to sick to No S vanilla, but if I have something outside of my 3 squares, I'll mark yellow as long as I did not binge...red for binge day...

I think I saw others say they were going to do the same...

Good thing all the binging I haven't done too much damage....was at one point 176, now 181..sucks for sure, but only thing to do is keep on keepin on...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 am

What will you put if you choose to make a weekday an S day?

Otherwise, I get it. If this helps you avoid the WTH effect, mazel tov.

Hold out for the pleasure of hunger.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

mmmm, no S days, either yellow, red or green.

i had a yellow yesterday, no binge, but did have a snack of grapes and couple tiny pieces of chocolate. ate pretty decent the whole day. for me that is not a fail, cause i didn't binge..my whole point is to break free from binging which is why i'm fat.

monday was yellow
tuesday was red
wednesday was yellow

this way seems a little more user friendly to me :) greens will be gems! yellow breaks me free from black or white thinking..

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm so with ya on the "no-bingeing". I have gained weight in the past simply from the binges. My meals are healthy, I don't snack, but the occasional binge sets me back.
So here's a cheer to every binge-free day!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Going after the worst offender first is a decent strategy.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

yes, that is what i am doing too. the binges are what throw me off track and they are usually precipitated by eating chocolate
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm

I like this idea and have been doing it lately without writing it down. The green and red were also too black and white for me, felt like too much of a failure if I did one thing wrong outside Vanilla S, which easily led to the WTH binge. I guess that's why I haven't updated my daily check in, because to me this week hasn't been all red days, but it also hasn't been green. I've stuck to 3 meals but I've also allowed myself a dessert in the evening, but just ONE! I've still gone to bed hungry, not stuffed, and woke up feeling OK, not guilty and hungover. That is probably worthy more than losing weight, but not sure I can convince myself of it.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:47 am

oolala53 wrote: Hold out for the pleasure of hunger.
love that!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:57 pm

July, yes a fresh new start!

Focus, not to binge..stick to green, yellow, red...

This past week, 2 yellows, 3 reds...

Will apply this to the weekends as well..

So far, went for a walk, hand washed my car, and getting ready to have my coffee!

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Good luck this month! I'm trying to stick it out this month also!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:48 am

July 1 and a Sunday. A perfect time to renew sane eating.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 am

What is it about a fresh month that gives us new energy? I also set new goals on the first and feel that push to succeed. Mondays also have that effect for me in a smaller way. The problem with that used to be that I would start good habits on Monday ... Fail by mid week ... Say WTH ... Then give up trying until next Monday! Sound familiar?

No S prompted me to keep trying every day even though I still feel that spark of energy at the beginning of each week or month.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:29 am

I agree - the first day of a new month feels like a clean slate! Let's have a great July! :mrgreen:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Yesterday was a yellow day, I think emotionally I just have a lot going on right now and I tend to turn to food for comfort.

If interested I posted on Off Topic discussion about a benefit our friends are throwing for my husband, hence one of my biggest life drama's :)

Raining here, so needed..

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Sill, it was a yellow, right? Meaning a small slip.

I think July 4 has has me wavering with a lot of thoughts about cookie dough, but so far, I've made it. I haven't said NO Choice to myself today, but I did yesterday. We have so much freedom! I went to an event last night and there were probably ten places I could have stopped to buy dough on the way home. But I don't like living away from things, so I've got to keep coping.

On a side note, a new friend told me about a couple she knows who "hotelsat" at a place like the one in The Shining. It was in Alaska and they were snowed in for 4 months. All the food for the whole time in the kitchen.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 pm

So sorry to hear what you're going through... praying for your guys!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Deb,
I just read a couple pages of your thread, to catch up with you. I haven't been on here at all since early May and need to re-connect, and you have been my best cheerleader.

I have an idea... Would it help to just add No Binges to your list of no's in the No S diet. No Binges, No Sweets, No Snacks, No Seconds... You could call it the "No B-S Diet". Has a nice ring to it, huh? :lol:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Genius!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi, Deb. Are you struggling? I am. I had my two meals so far today and find myself having urges to go S out. I got news that my work schedule is not at all what I wanted and I'm already stressing over it, which is pointless. It's not going to help me prepare just to imagine how tough it's going to be later and it's possible things will change even before I show up on Monday, so there's no good reason to even start. I'll face it when it's really happening. But I have to remind myself of that many times each hour.

Wish me luck getting through the rest of Friday. And to you, too. If you're not, try not to be too hard on yourself. Like bingeing, it rarely helps.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello friend, Just stopping by to say Hey !! :D
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:41 am

Deb, I'm assuming things aren't going well with No S and possibly beyond. Oh, my friend, I wish I could give you a big hug! Or perhaps you've stumbled on the magic secret and don't want to burst our bubbles. Hope you feel like updating us soon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Haven't been posting for a while, I see it's the same for you. I hope all is well. Ifhou fell off track just consider it part of the process, no need to "start over- just going back to normalcy.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi, Deb. I saw on another thread that you are feeling inspired again. I'm so glad! I want so much for you to experience some relief. I've been basically okay, though had a "bad" weekend. And I do have small fails many evenings. This can put a damper on my peace at times, but I try to keep things in perspective. I've been reading about the pressure of media images and info on other interpretations of health and fat. All of it to me just reinforces the wisdom of using No S as a way to retrain me to eat moderately consistently, which it basically has done.

I said I was going to commit to regular modest exercise as of last spring, which didn't happen. Then it was going to be for the month of September. Nope. Then as of my birthday (last Wednesday). I think I missed Monday- wednesday, mostly because of intense heat, though I could have gotten it in in the early mornings. I already feel disappointed because I'm letting the months of my having wanted to incorporate this already over the last year make me feel that I'm just stumbling and I'll always be stuck. Can't do that. Just have to start where I am. I think you're so lucky to have exercise as a part of your life already. Grass is always greener.

I'll try to draw strength from your entrenched exercise habits AND your desire to make No S your life eating plan.

I think recently I've read of two people coming back and this time just determined that S days were pretty much going to be like N days, with only occasional S's for very specific reasons, so that they would still have S's, but not just for the heck of it. I think I'm almost ready for that. Don't know if that sounds like peace or torture to you as of now. Just getting N days down again may be plenty to think about.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Aww! Just popped in to add my sentiments and best wishes to you as well, Deb. I'm sorry I have been a bit quiet lately when it comes to posting to my fellow No Ser's but still thinking of you and glad to hear (from oolala's post above) that you're doing well! :) :)

Also, oolala - I did not realize I had missed your birthday ; :oops:

A very Happy Belated Birthday from me! :) :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs