NoSnacker Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Those Mondays can be evil!
You're doing great! You're getting close to your 2nd 21 straight. I'm jealous. Way to gain the habit!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 am

Thankssss reneew and Butterfly!!!

Yesterday was a good day, the hunger is starting to tapper off...eating so much on the weekends really can throw a wrench in any good habit building...

So today is hump day and almost May...looking forward to my 2 weeks vacation..not going anywhere, but fishing off of Lake Erie, sick I know but I rather fish than shop any day..

Yesterday I was solo for dinner and had to stop to visit a niece in the hospital on my way home from work..and no plans for dinner...

Stopped at our local Chinese restaurant and ordered stemmed mixed veggies and shrimp with curry sauce on the side (I like to control how much is poured over my food); and 4 prunes..

Now what I did with my 4 prunes was put them in a fancy cupcake liner I had sitting out..so I felt like I was having something special :)

Today is work from home, so weather permitting I'll get a walk in instead of my elliptical..

OH ya, and the URGE to weigh was very strong this morning and almost did...but I KNOW better..I won't see anything that will motivate me...only bring me down...so a :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for no weighing!

Have a blessed day!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

Awesome job on the no weighing!! I'm fighting that urge more than the snacking these days! :roll: Glad I read this or I may have gone in and weighed this morning. But, I shall NOT! Have a great day!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:37 am

Deb....You're doing great! Good for you for avoiding that scale. You had the urge, determined it wasn't a good choice & didn't do it....that's wonderful!

You go girl!

Hugs...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Deb! Yeah, just chiming in to say well done on both the food front (yummy Chinese food ! :) and the No Weighing front too! Congratulations also on your forthcoming 21 day completely on plan! Wonderful!! Perhaps on Monday I should start afresh with a 21 day challenge. It may keep me motivated. I do stick to N Days pretty well (small fail yesterday! ) but overall, I've been okay so haven't been keeping track of my days on plan like I used to. Perhaps if I started a challenge again it may keep me motivated. I'm also thinking that my 21 day challenge should be no weighing this time!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 am

NoSnacker wrote:
OH ya, and the URGE to weigh was very strong this morning and almost did...but I KNOW better..I won't see anything that will motivate me...only bring me down...so a :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for no weighing!
Way to go :!: :!:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:19 am

:mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:58 am

Good for you! I am also thinking of no weighing for the month of May...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 am

Yesterday was hump day as they call it...never knew what it meant...but nice to see the week is almost over....going to my friends overnight tomorrow so we can go on a bike ride Saturday...and celebrate our birthdays, normally in between. Oh and she is my diet buddy as well..we have been at this over 30+ years..

The bottom line is, just never give up...we always get to a point where we gave up on ourselves...would I give up on a good friend..NO, so why would I give up on me..aren't we suppose to care about ourselves? Encourage ourselves? Trying, but not always easy...

I had some really great meals yesterday and had to talk to myself last night..had dinner, and was totally satisfied and deep within something wanted me to eat, have my mouth in motion, etc. But HOW can that be...I'm not hungry..so just told myself it surely is not worth it to eat..and my negative side said why not, who cares you are not going to ever loss weight, yada, yada, but I did not give in..and it passed quickly and I totally forgot about it.

I'm 6 weeks in again...and the habit surely does become easier...except for the weekends of course...

We'll see...if I hate binging on S days, why oh why do I do it...crazy...

Some snip its from the No S book:
"A perfect S day isn't a day when somehow, without any rules, you managed not to eat any snacks, seconds, or sweets. You don't have to be a saint. A PERFECT S day is when you basically stuck with your weekday 3 meal rhytm but have added an extra reward, something especially nice, and enjoyed it without reservation or guilt."

No S book page 130. When you focus on behavior, you get results thrown into the bargain because behavior causes results. When you focus on results, you get neither because results cannot exist without behavior. And behavior, besides being a better thing to measure, is also an easier thing to measure..

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 pm

NoSnacker wrote: Some snip its from the No S book:

No S book page 130. When you focus on behavior, you get results thrown into the bargain because behavior causes results. When you focus on results, you get neither because results cannot exist without behavior. And behavior, besides being a better thing to measure, is also an easier thing to measure..
Ohh, such a good one - tattoo that one to my head. :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Been thinking about whether my lapses have come because of my making it into my normal BMI range. I am doubting it because truth be told, I do have a latent wish to get back to my high school weight, which I don't think is unreasonable because 1) I'm still not exercising regularly, 2) my S days still aren't completely tame, and 3) I was heavier than many of my peers when I was in high school, so it isn't as if I'm trying to be skinny. I was actually that weight for a fair amount of my twenties and thirties, too. I'm wondering if it is an unconscious backlash from my wishing I could have dropped a few more pounds before I go to a wedding in New Orleans on May 12. Losing weight for events is almost always a mistake, but it isn't as if I'd tried anything drastic. I think it has as much to do with end-of-the-school year crunch as anything. Seniors expect to know their grades and I'm procrastinating on reading papers.
Or who knows! the cure is the same. Fence around the law and white knuckle it, if necessary.

Oh, have you forgotten URGE? Sounds like it's getting to you at night. Don't forget your very smart acronym!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 pm

When you focus on behavior, you get results thrown into the bargain because behavior causes results. When you focus on results, you get neither because results cannot exist without behavior. And behavior, besides being a better thing to measure, is also an easier thing to measure..
AMEN!! This is my focus...my behavior!

Oolala, I am so prone to what you are talking about. I have success and people start noticing and it sends me for a loop. Not sure WHY?????? That is the question!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 pm

My Friday was green even though I was away at a friends house until about a 1/2 hour ago......today so far no binging! :) :)

I left my No S book with her to read...

Did a 7 mile bike ride, have to get more practice in for the 17 miles which I have a feeling will be hilly because the bike event is in PA....oh boy..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend...

Have a great evening!

Update: Saturday during the day went as planned, 1 snack, 1 dessert...when I got home was not hungry for a dinner so had popcorn and some of the dessert (healthy one but albeit dessert)...

then ate 2 pieces of swiss cheese, bowl of chips, then a bag of hershey drops the vanilla and cookie kind, don't even like them...husband bought the wrong kind...

Now why would I eat something I don't really like...

Oh well thankfully it was an S day...eventually all things will fall into place...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:40 am

Happy to report "No Reds" for my 2nd round of 21 days...again if S days were suppose be N days, I would have had 13 reds :)

mmmm 42 green verses 13 reds...must keep that in mind...

Tomorrow will start another round of 21 days....

I think it is helping by working on my head...albeit not easy to do when so much negativity can creep right back in....

Have a great Sunday everyone....

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Happy to report "No Reds" for my 2nd round of 21 days...
That's really good! :)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Sounds like a plan, deb! Good going, hon ! :D :D

I said I'd probably join you on the 21 days tomorrow however...is this an excuse?? :wink: :oops: :wink: ... I'll be on vacation next week for approx. 10 days and whilst I will try my best to stick to No S (it shouldn't be a hardship, three years in), but under 'unusual' circumstances and special situations like vacation and holidays, there may be some REDS in there! Last year, I gained 5 or 6 lbs and TBH, I still stuck to the No S plan but was having breakfast and dinner out every day. I'm sure sodium levels did not help as well as the larger portions! But hey, its vacation and i'm gonna enjoy it, right?? :lol: :wink:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm

You may have ignored "sometimes" a bit but you made it to 21!!! You're setting the habit, and the rest will come. Good job!
Please pray for me

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Congrats on the 2nd 21 days!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 am

Congrats on 6 weeks! Hey, I can't find what the letters of URGE mean. I want to pass the acronym on to someone who could use it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:38 am

Congratulations - wow!!! :mrgreen:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Oolala, here ya go. I moved the thread up..get's lost over time :)

URGE

U - Untimely
R - Response
G - Greatly
E - Exaggerated

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 am

I have to say it felt great to eat my 3 plates yesterday...well the food on the plates...I like what I read on Sweetness daily "Food tastes better if I'm hungry for my meals!? This is so true..

Binging is just a mindless motion, with no real satisfaction in sight...we just end up getting so stuffed with no true satisfaction, especially when it emotionally ends up bringing us lower and higher weight wise.

I guess in the past it was an urgent matter to binge, or so I thought in my mind...When I think of the foods that I binged on they really don't tastes good anymore...

Now I hope my emotions can come in check with how I feel and think during the week...

One day at a time..

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm

What a rough day...my 8 month old cat had to go to the emergency vet Sunday for a blockage and spent the next night at the vet..

Picked him up today, thank goodness for the pet insurance I bought which I thought might be a waste of money, but not...they'll reimburse me 90% of the $1,500 it cost so far, but my boy is surely worth it.

Wanted to binge so bad when I got home from the vet...chips called my name and it was so hard not to give in to that stress eating...

Thankfully I didn't and I plan on eating my dinner shortly..

Phewwww close call..

I said in my head..too bad if I have a red day, it is only one and who cares...

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

Good for you on avoiding the binge! Sorry about your kitty. I love cats and can't really have one now that we're snowbirds. Hope he's all better! :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed May 02, 2012 12:19 am

I second that, deb! Hope your little cat will soon be on the mend and well done, hon, on resisting temptation although it would have been perfectly understandable under the circumstances !

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 am

So sorry to hear about your cat - but glad you resisted the URGE! Hang in there!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 pm

What did you say back to the thought about who cares? or did you just remember URGE and that was all it took?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 am

:D :D :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEB!! :D :D :D

NoSnacker

Dealing with my feelings and not eating them away!

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 am

oolala good point what did i say back to that thought...i said "yes you will care when you wake up disappointed" and is it worth to break my green streak and "it really won't help" AND what was more important was i realized it was emotional eating i was just about to do....

yesterday was a pretty good day..except i have not exercised in about 3 days..just truly feel mentally not like doing it...but i know me, my vacation is starting friday eve....so i might even get in more exercise during that time.

i loaned my book to my long time best friend and she texted me yesterday that she didn't have any snacks....so excited for her to find sanity with food...at least that is what i'm finding with my weekdays...awesome feeling...and although it stinks, dealing with my feelings; not eating them away...

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 am

It really is an awesome feeling, to feel peace around food. I like what you said to your thoughts - will have to remember that! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am

Yea, I like hearing about the rebuttals to the URGE thoughts, even when it just seems like repeating. Most of life is repetitive!

Including crappy sleep patterns. Fell asleep at 8:30. Sometimes sleep through but I'm a bit frantic about grading and have been up since around 1 a.m. Got online to input grades. Checking email is my "overeating." I'll stop "snacking" now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 am

Went to dinner for my birthday...thankfully we can have S events.

Had too much food of course :) and had a nice shot glass dessert of chocolate cake..perfect size, like 6 bites..yummy...and a great idea for those that really have no more room but want that dessert for other reasons than hunger.

Today officially starts my vacation..as I'll be home I do plan on sticking to my No S Vanilla during the week..there is plenty of good food to have for meals, no need to start the snacking or desserts or seconds...I do enough of that on the weekends :)

yippppeeeeee..

p.s. my cat is doing much better!!!! and thankfully for healthy paws insurance my check is in the mail..covers 90% of accidents/illness and reasonable tooooo...i got the best coverage for my cats thankfully...$1,500 dollars later..will be reimbursed 90%..how can anyone go wrong..

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Does the pet insurance cover "cat" scans? Oh, I couldn't resist.

Did that website say your ideal weight should be what you said, or did you look at the BMI range? The range is more lenient. The ideal says I should be 141 lbs. which is 13 pounds lighter than I am, though I'm in the healthy BMI range. If I put 141 in as my present weight, then it says I should weigh even less. That keeps happening until it gets to 132 pounds, which would mean 22 more pounds to lose for me. I'm not going to accept that hanging over my head. The guy writes like the ideal weight page is more lenient, but it isn't. Go with the BMI range.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

avoided another binge

Post by NoSnacker » Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 am

Good one Oolala :) no pun intended..but ya know, that is probably the low end of the range..and these sites don't take into consideration bone structure..someone should come up with something for small, medium, and large bone structure...based on height to me is really not that accurate..so you are at a good weight for you height..and as you said menopause makes it harder to get there..I bet you are perfect where you are at..and over the next year or two who knows where you'll be, maybe less weight :)

My current BMI is 30.1, which is pretty consistent across the board..says between 19-25 range...I will be happy with 26 :)

Says currently at my weight I should be 146, which for me would be great. I maintained 144 for a couple years and felt great..I did that by eating 3 squares and popcorn at night...didn't seem to binge then either, probably cause I was single so stressful relationships did not play any role in my life.

Last night had to advert another binge..DH and I had some words and right away the thought of eating came over me...I just tell myself it will do me no good to eat..and when I think of my current weight which only builds up the binge to happen..I say to myself, so what..in a year or two I'll be thinner, slow and steady, right now for me it is about not binging...

Goes like this...I get the URGE to eat, I tell myself not worth it, a few times...then myself says you'll never lose weight so who cares anyway...my counter to that is yes, I will lose weight, even if it takes a couple years..I will lose weight and right now food is not the answer!!

We are going fishing this morning...yipppeee can't wait to catch my first one of the season..may be having some walleye tonight.!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:51 pm

So your BMI would be 26 at 144? Sorry to dwell on this. Yes, it's true that BMI has its limitations, especially for the short and tall of the population. Others criticize it for those who are more muscular, but I am not convinced that those with low bodyfat are necessarily healthier in the long run. Low fat athletes look good but they don't necessarily live longer. I wonder if body type makes a difference. Maybe mesomorphs have an advantage or disadvantage. Anyway, these are the details.

OK, I have a tough question. What if you don't lose weight? Part of your strategies right now is saying "I will lose weight over time" to keep you from bingeing over your weight. If somehow, your body doesn't let go of pounds, will your new habits be in jeopardy? This may be premature.

In any case, it's Saturday!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat May 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Oolala, ya know that is a good question...even though in my heart of hearts I want to lose weight I think I would just continue with the habits if I don't..if in time I don't see anything happening, perhaps then I will take a look at how much I'm eating, etc.

I just am so enjoying waking up not feeling stuffed and like going to bed comfortable. In the past I could not handle those feelings and hated feeling empty, wanted to be like a baby being tucked into bed with a nice full belly.

As long as I stay off the scale I should be okay. I just know this will be a slow, slow process. For you it was 2 years..I can live with that...

I agree about low body fat, I think there is too skinny and just right.

p.s. also enjoying not allowing myself to use food to solve the world's problems...it just has not ever worked for me, and boy it took me until 55 to know this? duh..

Yes saturday, trying to figure out what treat would be the best for tonight... :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 am

It took me until age 56, so you're ahead of the game!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Gobble

Post by Gobble » Sun May 06, 2012 1:40 am

So enjoying your all's conversations here. You give me hope and encouragement. I'm in my 50s and really, really want to decide to just eat 3 plates a day, not weigh, and just let it be. It does feel so good to not go to bed full and to look forward to my breakfast in the morning. And food is tasting so much better from not having any snacks....I love this. I know I won't lose quickly but it just feels so good that most of the time I don't even care.

Enjoying this forum a lot.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun May 06, 2012 1:49 am

I second that, Gobble!

BTW - hope you enjoyed your first vacation day, deb. Looking forward to hearing about your fishing trip!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am

I'm glad your cat is better and halleluia for the insurance!

I have been following the BMI discussion with interest!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 08, 2012 11:15 am

Monday was a nice day with food..I ate what my tummy called for...weekend was definitely over the top...Of course the call of the scale was at my door, but I know me, if not the same or gained...I might give up..

I'm on the quest to make chicken curry today...will surf the net for some recipes...or was it chicken marsala...it has a creamy reddish color sauce...

My Matty seems to be himself again, but running to the bathroom a lot. Our vet who is an avian specialist is opening a new business as she was renting space where we went and she informed her clients that she will only be seeing avian,exotic's etc. no more cats and dogs so now the quest to find a vet closer to home for our cats. We'll start by asking friends where they go.

So my vacation is stinking at this point...as far as fishing goes, rain and wind..really stinks..but i have some things that need to be done around here..plus my husband can't do much with the boat so i had to put the anchor in and pull out..not a pleasant site i'm sure...put the cover back on, etc. Our boat is really old and basically for fishing..I think we would have the ugliest boat docked..who cares i tell my husband..we get the same pleasure of someone having a new boat...:)

K, off to start my tuesday....

NoSnacker

Don't be obsessive about the scale (Dr. Oz)

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Don't be obsessive about the scale tip from Dr. Oz

Weight fluctuates from hour to hour and day to day. Jumping on the scale too often can become frustrating and get in the way of you seeing your overall progress. Weighing yourself once a week gives you enough feedback; meanwhile, be sure to focus on the non-scale changes, such as how your clothing fits and the compliments you receive, for further positive reinforcement.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Ooh did you make that chicken curry? I'm making one today! It's a recipe from http://resourcefulcook.com/ for chicken and coconut curry - it has tomatoes and coconut milk which gives it that creamy red sauce :) I did opt for low fat coconut milk and swapped the potatoes for courgettes though... we'll see how it goes!

Hope your holiday starts looking up :)

NoSnacker

Peace

Post by NoSnacker » Wed May 09, 2012 10:49 am

So amazing, stayed up until 10:30 last night, ate dinner at 7:00 and I didn't feel like I needed to eat something. I did have some diet soda that I sipped during the evening.

I watched my DH eat his bowl of ice cream. Didn't even phase me to have any...not even a taste..okay well I thought of asking for a taste, but who wants a red for one taste :)

I have a peace about me during the week now...following No S Vanilla is really starting to feel normal to me...no binging since 3/19, except for S days of course. But this time around I'm not letting them derail me...

My first time around felt like I was on a diet, felt deprived all the time..but being away for a few months and trying my old ways again, did not work and only led to gaining a lot of weight...counting calories is a killer for me now...

K, off to do some cleaning!!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Enjoying my vacation, even if the weather is not permitting us to fish liked we planned. Able to try new recipes and enjoy the freedom of not being at work.

Went on a 10 mile bike ride, trying to get in shape for next months 17 mile bike ride...when I say shape, not referring to losing weight..I have a long ways to go, but one can be overweight and in shape health wise from exercise.

Tonight we are going to the movies and to dinner as a date night.

K, off to do some laundry and plan out the rest of our day...:)

NoSnacker

Red Lobster

Post by NoSnacker » Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Today I was pretty active, did another 10 mile bike ride and washed my car by hand and dried it...boy am I tired now...

Went to Red Lobster for dinner yesterday about 3:00, put 1/2 of my dinner away before I ate. Enjoyed every mouth full slowly and mindfully...the best I ever had...and even better...the other 1/2 was my dinner that I had around 8:00...my husband said smart move..

Funny after seeing the full plate, putting 1/2 away, I actually was quite satisfied both physically and mentally.

Still waiting for better weather to get out there fishing...supposed to be nice next week...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am

Saturday started off good, had a great breakfast. My daughter and family came over to do some landscaping and I was starving so grabbed for some nuts and then a chocolate cupcake I made for them (right!), so when my daughter and husband left as I was going to babysit so they could go to a party, we ordered pizza, had 2 slices....then the rest of the day was history and today I woke up feeling like sh_t! When oh when will I learn..

I won't let my weekends cause me to leave no s again...I saw what happened when I did,,,gained weight...right now I'm maintaining and have a great relationship with food on my N days.

A work in progress..hope to have a better Sunday...even though I'm making cheesecake today to take with me for mother's day dinner...that I can leave behind...

deb

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 am

Sunday was no better..but today is Monday :)

I'm on vacation still this week, and sometimes it feels like a weekend..so I have to remind myself what day of the week it is.

Not sure how I can have 9 weeks of No S Vanilla to have such terrible weekends...how long does it take I wonder for the nastiness of S days to cause change in me?

Great day for fishing....sunny, no wind..so we'll be heading out for sure..hoping to catch a walleye for dinner!!!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Good luck on this vacation week! I totally understand! I get that weekend feeling with vacations too, but I also do when my 4 kids are out of school and I have only 2 weeks left of "normal"
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 am

I guess the water is too cold in the part of lake erie we fish...nothing....oh well...

My best friend who started recently said boy, Monday's are sure hard to get back on track..Of course I agree, but they do get easier the longer one sticks this out. At least I can let my friend know my experience of giving up because of my S days. I'm nowhere near where I would like to be with my S days, but I'm hopeful that they will get better.

Off to read and have some tea!

determined

Post by determined » Tue May 15, 2012 12:26 pm

If I was a fish, I wouldn't be doing much fishing in Lake Erie right now...I'd be on the bottom, with a coat on and a cup of hot chocolate in my fin....brrrrrrrr.....

Have a great Monday!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Just stopping by to say HI and keep on keepin' on.. We're in this thing together Nosers :D
Berry

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Another morning of catching no fish..

I'll prepping for a test tomorrow which requires that my last meal was eggs/toast, and just had some cottage cheese..then no more food until after my test tomorrow morning.

Funny but in the past I would look at this as a great way to drop a pound or two, now I don't think of it that way at all anymore....

It is cold and damp today..!!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 pm

You haven't had much luck with the fishing - hoping your test goes well!

NoSnacker

Red Alert

Post by NoSnacker » Fri May 18, 2012 9:19 am

First red yesterday...not too bad, but still red....

Breakfast: at Denny's (1/2 bowl grits, 1 egg veggie omelet, few bites of fruit)
Lunch: popcorn and yogurt

Red food: 5 pepper ridge farm saulsalito cookies, handful of chips.

Wasn't hungry: mac and cheese from wegmans...didn't even taste good at this point!!!

Thankfully there wasn't any mozz cheese left or I might have ate that.

I just read chapter 20 in the beck solutions book about "Get Back on Track". She has a illustration of how a 500 calorie slip turns out to be 3,500 calories. 'It's destructive to continue to eat in an unplanned way for the rest of the day just because you ate something that wasn't on your food plan" Here is the response card she suggest one read after slipping.

Get Back on Track
If I've eaten something I shouldn't, I haven't blown it. It's not the end of the world. I can start following my plan again right this minute. Just because I made a mistake doesn't mean I should keep on eating. That makes no sense. It's a million times better to stop now then to allow myself to eat more".

I have read, heard all kinds of things, but for some reason after the first 2 cookies I envisioned the illustration...things could have been much worse for sure, but then again, I was stuffed and couldn't eat another bite of anything....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat May 19, 2012 9:47 am

Was a tad bit harder yesterday for some reason I was hungrier earlier than normal, could be because of my procedure on Wednesday..after these next 2 S days I'll be starting my 4th 21 day cycle.

Trying to really think hard of what I can give myself as a special treat and try to stay 3 squares...and perhaps a snack..but then again we'll see...I'll have to allow myself the freedom to decide.

Back to work this Monday, which means more structure...hard being home when it feels like a weekend.

Going for a walk this morning and hopefully do a little fishing as well...next year we will wait for a while...thankfully I have plenty of time left.

Have a blessed weekend!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi, Deb. I was out of town in New Orleans and missed some updates.

I had a good time even with food. I do better when I'm on vacation and with others. Sure, part of it is not wanting others to see me overeat, but a lot of it is just having fun and doing fulfilling things. But I did have a few moments when I was alone that I had the URGE to wolf down some chocolate, but I got past it. The rest of the time N days had done their work. Even though I had access to great food, I felt I was reasonable. And I snuck in a weighing. Holding steady. Good enough.

I don't want to mess with your head, but I'm starting to think that bingers might be able to be more proactive with S days without necessarily having backlash, when they weigh the cost and benefits. In other words, I mean they should consider having a plan for S days rather than free falling. I came to this after reading about a book for bulimics and bingers. It was based on cognitive behavioral principles (not the kind I'm used to from Beck) used in British treatment programs. They recommended planning, though not necessarily all food at every eating event. So I've come up with my plan. (Remember, I've been at this over two years- not exactly jumping the gun waiting for S days to die. They've died down, but still too many compulsive events.) I'm posting this on my thread as well.

1. Mostly stick with three meals; exception, brunch with others.
2. Snacks between meals OR dessert on any one day.
3. Dessert cannot be bigger in volume than one fist.
4. Sweets included in snacks cannot be bigger than 1/2 fist.
5. Snacks cannot be bigger in total than two fists.
6. If a previous meal has left me still full when it's time for another meal, still eat, but opt for very light- broth with veggies, salad, etc.

I'm going to an event this afternoon where we always break for tea and crispy snacky things around 4 p.m. There are sometimes sweets, too. I'm going to put everything I plan to eat on a little plate or napkin today. Maybe eventually I'll be more virtual about it. I tend not to be very hungry for dinner after this, but I'm going to drop by our Senior Prom. Before I go, I'll have something and I'll play that by ear. But before I would make myself wait until I was hungry and that might take until the next day. I'm going to experiment with eating light.

Note that I am now ready to do this. For the first year, I couldn't stand the idea of modifying S days. It's really a personal call. An individual would have to see if weight loss is the prime incentive. I think that would be a mistake. I'm still very grateful for the changes that have happened but I know I'm still not as free as I wish to be. Thus the tweaking.

Hope I haven't hijacked too much!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Not too bad of an S day, but then again..being full is not

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 20, 2012 10:12 am

Yesterday wasn't too bad for a Saturday:

breakfast; 1 egg/1 egg white, mini wheat bagel w/olive oil, 1/4 avocado

lunch: sweet potato chips (in a bowl); 1/4 c. trail mix

dinner: out with a friend, salmon (took 1/2 home was stuffed); salad as opener

Not so good: finished the other 1/2 of dinner (lots of rice). I was not hungry and my tummy hurt, but I still ate.

sweet: 2 candy bars (2.8 ozs) Was not hungry, it was just because.

Eating in excess is very painful and not sure why I allow myself to do this...I don't think I could have continued my permasnacking if I wanted to...no room in the inn!

Let's see what today holds!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 20, 2012 1:36 pm

So far today, did a 12 mile bike ride and cut the grass...boy oh boy am I dying....but feels good at the same time...

Breakfast: pineapple/raspberry greek yogurt

unplanned permasnacking all day

Today is Monday..hope for a easy start...

Back to work and routine!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:00 pm

The stuffing is a habit. I know it sounds crazy that we would have habits that make us feel uncomfortable, but we do. As with many habits, they hang on until we get exasperated enough with them that we hold out against them even when they cry out for caving in. Rarely do the desires go away on their own. And food habits are right up there in difficulty to turn around with hard drugs. Most of them are modern foods, just as drugs are modern substances. But I think just about as soon as humans figured out how to make wine, alcoholics emerged. So we join a grand history of humanity.

The fact that we have been miserable with ourselves over this for a long time doesn't count in the time we have actually been actively trying to combat these tendencies. The timeline is probably extended in accordance with how long we've been suffering from disappointment in ourselves.

What am I saying? Go ahead and be disgusted with the habit and not with yourself. You're new at the habit, if not the desire to be done with it. And you are really working up a distaste for the real problem, the habit and its results. That kind of clarity is really useful. I feel privileged to watch it.

Go, Deb!

By the way, I caved on nearly all my mods, including starting the day with CAKE, but kept enough of the overage in check that I am still pleased and hopeful. Am I a junkie kidding myself? perhaps, but I think the trend is still good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Starting 4th round of 21 days

Post by NoSnacker » Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 am

I found when in the habitcal if I populate the months wanted I can do print screen, copy into a word doc, make a few minor adjustments to the layout then I print in color and hang on the wall by my computer as a reminder how far I have come.

Starting my 4th found of 21 days! I'm finding it easier in the evening not to binge or have a desire to eat. Weekends will need some work...some sort of structure for sure, just how much I have not idea. One thing I do know is that overtime the habit of stuffing myself when not hungry has to be broken, this is different from a binge for sure...

Back to weekly structure...

Nibbles and tastes. Dr Oz Nutrition Tip for the day
Nibbles and tastes during meal preparation might seem small, but small bites can derail your weight-loss efforts over time if they're not accounted for. Try chewing sugarless gum to keep your mouth busy.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 am

Not to mention that nibbles and tastes ruin those first few fantastic bites of the meal when you actually do sit down to enjoy.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Day 1 of 21 (Success)

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 am

5/21 - Success (Day 1 of 21)

Success although I seemed to be a bit hollow in my tummy, can't say hungry feeling..very strange. My dinner plate was a little fuller then most days to ensure I did not binge later.

Oolala, good point...you always have good points...perhaps you should write a book? Seriously.....I would buy it :)

Off to do at least 15 minutes on my elliptical, planned to walk after work yesterday but did not and now that the warmer weather is here, I really hate the basement workouts :(
Last edited by NoSnacker on Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoSnacker

Day 2 of 21 (success)

Post by NoSnacker » Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 am

5/22 - Success (Day 2 of 21)

It sure makes a difference when I eat enough food at my meals.

It still seems to be a bit of a struggle when I first get home from work, as in the past I would grab some sort of crunchy stuff like chips..and crunch away, then eat dinner...then eat another 2 hours of stuff..

I have chips in the house as my husband likes them, but they do call my name. For dinner the other night I put a few on my plate with my dinner.

Stress sure makes one want to eat. Had to have a little talk with myself, not a fight but some common sense talk...No option, No Choice.

Then I think of the weekend and how it is only a few days away.

Then I start to think of the weekend and think, maybe if I allow Saturday to be my only S day and Sunday a normal day with one treat...instead of snacking all day...didn't realize that I turned into such a snacker, guess all the years of dieting and pushing of snacks won me over. Think back to the day where we didn't..and the shelves weren't filled to the top at the stores with snack foods.

So next month will be one year on No S, well since I have been introduced to it. Not losing weight yet, but gaining sanity and a friendship with food.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 am

I have been thinking of the same thing - having just one S day a week at some point. But not just yet! And chips are tough, arent' they? Although nice to be able to put some on a plate with a meal and really enjoy them without feeling guilty.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 am

I did exactly the same thing last night! My OH had bought some pringles in some weird new flavour, and kept offering me some. I managed to resist but left a little space on my dinner plate to try a few :) They were ok but so not worth having a red day for...

NoSnacker

Day 3 of 21 (Success)

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 am

5/23 - Success (Day 3 of 21)

Amy and Milliem - thanks for stopping by..it is always a pleasure when someone does. I'm sure we all can related to chips and the downfall they can cause..I used to sit with a larger bag and eat 3/4 of them...

I have been waiting to eat dinner until 7:00, seems to make the world of difference as I go to bed at 9:00. Didn't have the urge to put chips on my plate..funny but I know in my heart of hearts that I can if I want to and it would be okay and that is what makes a difference.

Then I thought, wow I sure ate a lot of dinner (chicken tikka masala) over rice and peas. I made the masala with coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream, color was not the same so added splash of heavy cream.

While eating I started to think of what I ate all day and started the calculating calories in my head...then stopped thinking "it doesn't matter, counting is not an option". What I did find when I go off all diets I would eat 3 squares (smaller portions), but snacked, and had sweets....which led to binges. So even if I'm eating 3 squares that are more food then I'm used to, it is still well below everything I ate while I was bingeing.

And finally I said to myself yesterday, my body is what it is today and I'm in no race, rush to lose weight, when it happens great..but my focus is on habit and sanity.

Trust me I have callings here and there by food..but I rather not have a red day for just one taste...and in all reality, just one taste turns into a binge.

Same as cigs when I smoked, when i quit I would say just 1 more for the road, and would start smoking again in full force..and I'm talking after a 10 year and 7 year quits...

So here's to habit and not having any other option "NO CHOICE" :)

Off food topic...last night I was bite by a spider in my bed (yikkk) and I felt it as it woke me up and I grabbed and threw something...it started to sting and I could not sleep so got up and put some sting stuff on and took ibuprofin. This morning seems all good, the bump that was starting to form is going down.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 pm

So here's to habit and not having any other option "NO CHOICE"
Amen to that!

To address your recent calorie counting episode...I found that when I did my little calorie counting experiment (I hate to keep bringing it up on this board, but it did open my eyes since I had lost touch with calories and portion amounts) that my breakfasts and lunches rarely amounted to too many calories. When I relearned to fill a plate at suppertime in a reasonable way, it usually averaged 400-600 calories. The snacks and desserts that I wasn't eating could have easily added up to 800-1,000 calories extra each day. Wow! That's quite a savings! The habit of snacking is really terrible for pretty much everyone.
I found something else really interesting a long time ago when I first found NoS, and that was the number of food items I needed at a meal. For some reason, a breakfast or lunch with just two items (even if they filled a plate) never fully satisfied me. Having three items did. How strange is that?!
A sandwich and chips on a plate wouldn't do it for me, but a sandwich, a few less chips, and half a banana on the same plate would... I have no explanation for that, or why it works for me, but it does. I guess I'm just weird!
My friend who taught me to make jewelry told me to always string beads using odd numbers - never even. It looks better visually. Think the same principle applies to plated food?! :roll:

Hope you have a good day!
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm

YIKES! Sorry about the spider bite!
LOVE the "No Choice!". FIRMNESS is the key!
That is true about one bite...leading to no-good!
I like eating a little later, too. It helps me feel settled for the night. I don't like going to bed feeling hungry.
Take care and have a good day!
Keep up the good work!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:07 am

I find I like to have two different colors of vegetables in a meal. and a protein, starch, and freggies. If I don't have all three, I feel like I haven't eaten. I don't eat out too much for various reasons, one of which is that ti's too expensive to get good quality of all three at one meal!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:22 am

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the spider bite!

I notice I am much more satisfied with a balanced looking plate as well - and I also think that we are probably saving many more calories from not snacking than we are getting by having full plates!

NoSnacker

Day 4 of 21 (Success) Strictness

Post by NoSnacker » Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 am

5/24 - Success (Day 4 of 21)

I have been throwing a few prunes on my plate for dinner or sometime lunch..it really helps curb the sugar cravings.

Yesterday re-read about strictness in no S and some stuff in the beck solutions book...my little pile of 3x5 cards has grown and reinforces my thoughts about this whole process.

From No S: Strictness

When you're strict, there is no decision to be made, nor wrangling, no "I can? I can't?". You're pre-disapproved so forget it and move on to something else. The prohibition passes from something merely rational to something reflexive. It becomes automatic and easy.

I read something very very similar to this in the Beck Solutions..and seems they are both in agreement. If you don't give yourself a choice, it is just No Way, No Choice..that reinforces not giving in to the behavior.

Over time, it just becomes natural they say..and I can see that happening with me...just not an option, so no sense in arguing with myself :)

It is so about the mental part of this whole process..I have fought the battle of dieting solely dependent on what I ate, that the thought patterns that got me there were never addressed.

A lot of the feelings come from childhood or young adult hurts, or even adult hurts that we use food to fix...but that won't work...and the feelings from being hurt won't really go away, they are scars.

Oh well, just rambling!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Yes, NO CHOICE is a great one! My colleagues have chocolate or cookies or something for everyone at lunch just about every day. I never even consider any of the offerings, though I have put lemon bars in the freezer at work to take home for the weekend. I was gong through a phase a few weeks ago in which I started to eat right after school again, but I pulled out of it. Weekends are still it and I've been listening to the podcast on No Solitary Snacking for a little brainwashing.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri May 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Love the reminders re: strictness. It sure eases decision making when you already are 'pre-disapproved'.
I think that's been my source of much anxiety of years of food obsession. "What's my thing? What will I eat there? How much sugar? How many calories? Dessert or no?".
SO MANY DECISIONS about trivial stuff. Love this one and done.
I need to adopt the flashcard thingy!
Good luck today.
Liz

~reneew

Re: Day 3 of 21 (Success)

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 25, 2012 4:35 pm

NoSnacker wrote: And finally I said to myself yesterday, my body is what it is today and I'm in no race, rush to lose weight, when it happens great..but my focus is on habit and sanity.
Yea! That sounds sane. A year will come either way.
NoSnacker wrote:Trust me I have callings here and there by food..but I rather not have a red day for just one taste...and in all reality, just one taste turns into a binge.

Same as cigs when I smoked, when i quit I would say just 1 more for the road, and would start smoking again in full force..and I'm talking after a 10 year and 7 year quits...

So here's to habit and not having any other option "NO CHOICE" :)
Cold turkey to snacks! That's just what I was thinking this morning! I'll send you a private message.
Please pray for me

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:20 am

I started reading Beck recently and trying to implement the daily tasks. I also just read day 20 and thought that pyramid was a great visual for how bad the WTH thinking is, and I do it so much! I have to stop thinking that just because a day is a failure at 2pm that I should make the most of it and go on a binge. I also really like her suggestions for fighting cravings. I'm not one to have just a taste of something sweet and I do believe it just intensifies my cravings. I think that's why Mondays are so hard, getting back on the wagon after being on a sugar high all weekend. My S days are mostly over the top so I'm hoping the Beck strategies will help. The "no choice" thinking really works! When I first started No S I did great for the first 24 days. Then I started giving myself a choice and of course I usually would make the wrong one! I'm tired of strengthening my "giving in muscle".

NoSnacker

Day 5 of 21 (Success)

Post by NoSnacker » Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am

5/25 - Success (Day 5 of 21)

This food thing is all in the thoughts, and unless we can conquer the thoughts, we will never conquer the food and weight....I'm finally convinced of this.

Not sure why it took me so many, many years of dieting and fails to come to this place. I know for sure No S and a lot of books I have read recently point to one place "our thoughts" and "habits". And the other thing is I have come to accept my weight where I'm at now. I don't like what I see and how I feel, but that will change over time...even 1 pound a month is better than gaining, and over a year that can be 12 pounds.

Saturday, May 26
Today is Saturday and usually my free for all day. For the most part what I plan to do is track what I eat here and make my special dessert. My goal will really eat the foods I love and wait until I'm hungry...I'm coming to appreciate hunger cause then the food tastes so darn good and I seem to be getting fuller faster as well.

Breakfast: 2 pieces of Ancient Bread toasted; 1 hard boiled egg
Lunch: brown rice/fat free refried beans, cheese, salsa on top of lettuce; watermelon
Dinner: Tilipia; broccoli & cauliflower; baked potato; had my dessert

Snacks: 1/2 c. trail mix (Had 1 c. of trail mix while watching TV - not hungry)
Dessert: Peaches and Cream Cheese pie (recipe)

So that is my plan, but will I stick with it is another question. No pressure weekend I'm aiming for.

My friend is coming over and we are going on a bike ride! Practice, practice...

To all of my virtual friends, have a great weekend!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sun May 27, 2012 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Sounds good, Deb. Esp. that pie!

I'm hoping for a good weekend.

I agree about the thoughts. If you don't have the right thoughts or purposely think them while you are establishing the habits, you probably won't establish them! Then thought it less involved. Your thought that bingeing and whatever pleasure came from it have never actually done any real good is a great one to think at good times and rough ones. Lots of others, too.

I'm so glad for you that you have found some acceptance with weight right now. I don't think that automatically makes people eat less, but I do believe it helps take the pressure off. Then you can concentrate on just what food will be the most satisfying blend of pleasure and smart-enough nutrition? And how much of it will leave me feeling vital for several hours?

Did you see the thread on the article about the mathematician who has studied the weight gain in the US? He found that cutting 100 calories from your normal food intake (which the experts will tell you will result in a 3,500 calorie deficit in 35 days, and you should lose a pound, so it would take ten months to lose ten pounds) is way off. Because of how the body processes food more efficiently, it would take 3 years! No wonder people struggle with this so much. It sure makes realizing you just have to find a way to eat for the long run a blessing.

Of course, over the course of a year, I think someone on No S would end up, averaging over a week, cutting more than 100 calories a day, so the loss would be a little greater but it explains how so many long timers here didn't lose all the weight in a straight line and then maintain. For many, it's still declining. I might get to the low end of my BMI by the time I'm 60! but I don't have to.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat May 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Sounds delicious, Deb.
I'm glad you have it planned out. I, too, am going to plan my S day right as we speak.
THOUGHTS are everything. I realized how ingrained our former thoughts are as last night as I was eating dinner and was determined to eat every last bite because that's what I'm used to. But my body was saying, "stop"! It's crazy how many years I have gone through not listening to my body and its fullness.
I stopped and was still extremely full. Baby steps.
Take care this weekend!~
Liz

NoSnacker

Day 6 of 21 (Not too bad)

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 am

5/26(S) - Not too bad (Day 6 of 21)

Eating my 3 squares and planning those squares helped a lot. Made my dessert which was okay, but the recipe varied from the one I had from my friend that I lost, so I'll ask for the original recipe from her.

I had planned 1/2 c. trail mix if I was hungry...but as watching TV I said I'm allowed my trailmix...I was not hungry but did it anyway. Later I had another 1/2 c. and threw in some sweet potato chips. So I had my planned stuff and the 2 extra things.

Still not too bad compared to what I normally could do.

I was real busy yesterday, about 2-1/2 hours of bike riding and messing with some new accessories for my bike kept me busy.

My friend was over and she loves to bake/cook so I had her make the dessert as I cleaned up behind her. She is on No S now and lost 2lbs at her last Dr. appt. When she read the part in No S about snacking, she started to pay attention while she prepares food..and to her dismay, she did a lot of it during preparing and then would have her meal.

She would joke while preparing the dessert...opps would have cleaned that spoon off, opps would have licked the mixer twisters :), the last of the batter in the bowl I would have cleaned that clean and would have my normal size dinner. She said, if not on a plate, she won't eat it.

So the harmless pickin during prepping can keep one in the fat zone...

She is not a computer person, soooooo we talk and she reads....

LOVES No S, said easiest thing she has ever done.

I just wanted to share her story for my friends here that might be nibblers during prepping, it will surely add up.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

NoSnacker

5/26(S) (Day 7 of 21)

Post by NoSnacker » Sun May 27, 2012 2:28 pm

5/27(S) (Day 7 of 21)

Couldn't think of anything I wanted to eat for breakfast and then decided to have a piece of my peach/cream cheese pie for breakfast...really hit the spot seeing I was not in the mood for yogurt or anything healthy.

Breakfast: Peaches and Cream Cheese pie
Snack: Hazelnut Chocolate bar
Lunch: continued eating all day up until bed..WAS not hungry...it was the moment and I did not care about the future at the point.
Dinner:

Didn't workout today, resting.

Did a little gardening, waiting for the rain they said we were going to get...
Last edited by NoSnacker on Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

sounds like a great breakfast to me!
have a good S day and thanks for your support!
you are wise!
Liz

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks for posting the name of the book on my check-in page. I hadn't checked in for a few days so I just saw it.

I spend way too much time on SparkPeople. I have forced myself to slack off on the nutrition log, but I still seem to keep a mental note of my calories. I have a huge appetite, seems even more so now that I limit myself to 3 meals, so I fear consuming an abnormal number of calories in 1 sitting. I've tried to stick to 500 calories per meal, but that doesn't always happen. Actually, it rarely does except for breakfast. But now that I'm reading Beck I'm paying a lot more attention to my hunger and cravings and distinguishing the two. It's helping.

Way to go on the 2.5 hour bike ride! I rarely get outside on my bike anymore and end up riding it indoors on the trainer to save on time and convenience. I don't like riding alone and I'm not nearly as fit and fast as all the people I used to ride with when I was training for triathlons.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Deb, that sounded like a wonderful 2 S Days - well done!! :D

Yesterday wasn't to bad of an s Day for me - for once! :roll: but today has been horrible! lots of nibbling and mindless eating! Wasn't even hungry but kept on eating anyway! oh dear, oh dear!

NoSnacker

Day 7 of 21 (Not a good S day)

Post by NoSnacker » Mon May 28, 2012 9:28 am

5/27 - Terrible (Day 7 of 21)

Well the day started with good intentions, but it was horrible, after lunch it was all down hill. I didn't even eat dinner as I polished off my dessert and kept eating...for some reason didn't care. That is the problem with binge eating....not caring during the binge episode.

Did try to plan my food, but ended up changing it all as I went along. Seemed Saturday was better as I did plan the whole day and stuck too it except my extra 2 snacks.

Getting ready to go fishing..not hungry so will just have some tea and then coffee..ate so much that I might not be hungry for hours :).

Thankfully today is Monday or I would have had a huge red!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

NoSnacker

Day 8 of 21 (FAIL)

Post by NoSnacker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 am

5/28 - Fail - (Day 8 of 21)

Yesterday was kind of like Sunday...just didn't care, ate whatever, non stop. Was thinking oh ya technically a holiday, could mark as S. But who am I fooling...

Back to work today so hope I can get back into the groove.

Have to remember, bingeing doesn't do a thing for me, it really doesn't..just makes me sad and disappointed in myself that night and next morning.

The next morning regrets :)

Did get a 12 mile bike ride in so that was a good thing...

Here's to a successful Tuesday!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Wow! A 12-mile bike ride though! Amazing.
I'm sorry you don't feel well. Bingeing NEVER helps, you're right.
I think on days when I haven't FIRMLY decided whether or not they are an S day, I end up totally bingeing. There is no "maybe".
I know yesterday I had declared an N day and i'm telling ya, at the BBQ, I WAS white-knuckling it through to stop take seconds, to snitch, and to then dive into ice cream.
PHEW. You can do this.
Hope today is better for you.
xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:36 am

I'm trying to think I can adopt the concept of strict moderation for S days, too. It will include S's, but thre is no way I can eat as many of them as I have been and consider them moderate. You may have seen I'm going to review the podcast "Strictness."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 am

I hear you - I've been struggling with S days too. It's not easy to find balance, is it?

NoSnacker

Day 9/10 of 21 Days

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 am

5/29 & 5/30 - Success (Day 9/10 of 21)

Yesterday, we went to dinner..I had a hamburger and fries. I always feel guilty eating such terrible food, but I know it is rare for me to do. Good thing was could have had a drink with hubby but opt'd out of that and had a lite lemonade instead, he had ordered a second round of fries (I had a moments desire to have a few but didn't give in and the thought left fairly easy).

Seems I'm doing fairly okay with my N days. Heard something the other day that when we get older we need less calories/food. Gosh, not sure I can do that. I do know that I will never, ever lose weight with my S days as they are, and I do know that over time even though I say I'm reserved to my current weight, it will bring me down over time. I had 2 red's since coming back, both in this month...

Thinking, maybe having my Saturday as an S day. I seem to always binge...so if I allow a binge once a week, maybe my Sunday will be more on the tamer side. Instead of going in facing the S days with what will I do, I know I can't..etc. So if I say, well Saturday will most likely be a binge, but Sunday will not be.

I don't know, just juggling thoughts...

Oh ya, Saturday I'm traveling to PA for the bike trek very early a.m., so I'm sure I won't be able to binge in someone else's house...I can stick to my 3 squares. Sunday is the bike ride, so again won't be able to binge with 2 other people in the car ride on the way home...

So who knows, maybe this will be a pretty good weekend and perhaps binge free!

I'm sure I'll be having chocolate, as it will be in Hershey PA, and chocolate every where...I'll buy some of course and bring home :)

Ramble, ramble I did :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Good job on keeping it to one plate and resisting the second round of fries! Those never-ending fries are so hard to resist! But later you pay! I think it's nice to ONCE IN AWHILE have a burger/fries. It's like, "hey, I can be normal!".

Sounds like you're being realistic about your S days. And planning for a "binge". But if you allow that you MIGHT binge, you most likely will....

With such a busy weekend ahead full of being with people, maybe this is the time to plan out the fun treats (yum! Hershey chocolate!) with people and just do that.

Whether you think you can or cannot, either way you're right!

Take care and I'm impressed about the bike trek! YOU GO GIRL!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm not sure I would buy any chocolate even if I went to Hershey because you can get it anywhere, no? or do they have special chocolate items you can buy? I think I might get a magnet, notepad, or something, instead. A nightshirt. That I could wear but I wouldn't be the one looking at the logo.

Just out of curiosity, on a regular weekend day, when do you binge? What would keep you from planning something else to take up your time? NOt that you can go on a bike trip every weekend.

Now that I don't have the excuse of having work hanging over my head to keep me from planning to do other things as needed, I'm not thinking in terms of allowing myself the option to binge anymore. Doesn't mean I won't but I know I was leaving the option open even as I was rather dreading it every week. but I felt I couldn't impose any restriction on myself. YOu know I tried a few but none every stuck.

Then again, I've been able to use work for an excuse for about 26 of the 29 months I've been on No S, so it's about time. I will say many of the foods I used to dream about and binge on have dropped off the radar. I don't know if that would have happened or not if I hadn't given myself free rein on them, but I know I never consciously said, Oh, I'm done with that. They just stopped occurring to me as much or at all. A few months ago, I was kookoo over these thumbprint cookies baked at a local supermarket and I bought a container every week and ate at least 20 of them. Now I walk by them on weekends and they don't appeal.

But Costco cake with heavy icing still appeals! Thank goodness I won'[t buy a whole cake. No room in the fridge or freezer.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 am

Have fun in Hershey on the bike ride! I've been to Hershey, most recently in 2001 when we were living in Allentown, PA. I went to the Hershey factory when I was a kid, but going as an adult didn't seem nearly as spectacular. Oolala is right, you can get it anywhere. The only Hershey chocolate I have to stay away from is those Symphony bars with the toffee and almonds. Can't control myself after I start.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:47 am

Oh my. King size hershey symphony bars! The milk chocolate almond and toffee. Down the gullet so many times.
Bad news bears! :oops:
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 am

Symphony bars are so dang smooooth! but really, I haven't lusted after one for awhile.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:31 am

I'm with you on the S day struggle - and keeping my fingers crossed that all your biking will enable you to have a weekend you are happy with on the food front!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:11 am

oolala53 wrote:Just out of curiosity, on a regular weekend day, when do you binge? What would keep you from planning something else to take up your time? NOt that you can go on a bike trip every weekend.
Thank you all for your comments...totally appreciated!!!!!

Oolala, mmm, I would say I eat a good breakfast, maybe a tad later than I normally do, then a couple hours later I might have a snack, then lunch...after that I just start grabbing things to eat..and sometimes I don't even remember what I ate the rest of the day. See it doesn't have to be on sweets, it could just be food in general.

I feel like a pressure valve is being opened and pressure being released. But then I feel terrible that I did. Sundays are most of the time more tame, but that is if I binged the day before, if I didn't binge on Saturday, seems I would on Sunday. Who knows...

On weekends, I usually do a lot of running here and there and everywhere, I think I'm compulsive a bit :) then I'm totally exhausted by 1 p.m. that I sit around A LOT the rest of the day, eating :)

I'm hoping this weekend might be the start of something for me..to break the grip of the S days gone wild.

I weighed myself this morning and stayed at 177.6, so that is good news no gaining, but playing now with up 2 down 2, hence a standstill. But, that is okay, for now :) I'm still up from when I left at 168...

We'll see what this weekend brings....

Oh ya, my friend that is going on this trek with me, she is no a No S'r, but she doesn't seem to have the same issue. She has stopped snacking while prepping meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). She lost 2lbs so far at her last Dr. visit.

Sorry so long everyone...an alcoholic once said to me "I WANT TO WANT TO QUIT". I really want the desire to not binge on the weekends but it is there.

NoSnacker

Day 11 of 21

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 am

5/31 - Success (Day 11 of 21)

Yesterday was a good day as far as food goes. So today is June 1...

Had 2 reds in May and one S day for my birthday.

Goal is to concentrate on my N days habits and find ways to tame down my S days.

Have a great Friday everyone!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Hooray for your Thursday success! GREAT JOB!

As far as bingeing goes on the weekend, which I completely relate to, I was reading the Beck Diet book today and saw something stand out to me.

I know I always feel tension when on the verge of possibly bingeing. If the option is even open. And sometimes am just like, "I'll just do it to get it over with. Then the anticipation is done. Ahhhh. That's better."

She says in the book (pg. 31):

"The inner argument between your sabotaging and helpful thoughts can make you feel tense. The tension is unpleasant. Often, you'll try to alleviate that tension by deciding to eat. But before you eat, take note: Interestingly, what usually happens is that you find your tension abating as you reach for the food--before you put it in your mouth. However, just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision NOT to eat can also reduce tension."

Something to think about. I know when I have the inner battle going on, I"m just so anxious that I give in. But maybe with positive reinforcing thoughts, "I can binge or I don't have to....I make the decision either way. I am in control. The food isn't making me to it. I'm just feeling anxious and tense and want to alleviate it with food."

Who know if that could work, but maybe you anticipating bingeing in the first place is realistic, but also soothing because it takes away the possible disappointment you'd make yourself feel if you did.

Sorry for the rambling...But HAPPY FRIDAY!
Liz

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:50 am

6/1 - Success (Day 12 of 21)

ibb (liz); really good reminder...i'll post a note to that page in beck. i kind of have been doing that during the week "NO CHOICE" :) and it does relieve the tension, as there is no decision or debate. I will have to apply that in baby steps on the weekend and see what happens. i love the beck book as the sections are short so real quick reads. my stack of cards is growing.

I think deep down I think it will be a lot of pressure to say no I won't binge, but then again, it may really bring relief over time..even if I apply to one of my S days, live with that for awhile and then work on the last one.

The problem is snacks, once I have one I binge. So maybe if I eat my 3 squares and plan for a nice dessert that might work. A lot of mental thinking going on.

So today I leave to PA for tomorrow's event...boy my butt is already screaming ouch!

Might not be on the computer over the next couple days...

Everyone have a great weekend!