NoSnacker Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

I haven't checked in in a while worthy o hear your struggles. Seems like when your in the wave it's hard to see an end to it! There is a light it will calm down, and you are doing what I would do focus first on not binging then small steps to no s. Someone else mentioned starting with not eating at night. I try to focus on not eating after dinner and focus on how nice it is to not wake up feeling sick.
Praying for you sister.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi hope your week is going well. How did it go in Boston? You're in my prayers.
Blessings,
Patty
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Just checking in with ya. Hope all is well!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Hugs to you. ((((((:wink: ))))))
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Are you still in the valley of darkness? I know you were feeling discouraged. Did you find something that has helped you rein in your eating? You so need some relief!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Deb,
Just thinking about you today, miss you. Happy New Year to you and yours.
((hugs))
Patty

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Hey hey NO Snacker, how is it going? What are your plans for 2012?
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 am

I'm going to welcome you back before you even post here on your own thread. I've thought about you so many times. I'm glad to hear you're back, though I wouldn't have minded if you had found the key to food peace for you. Everyone deserves to feel like a normal eater! We're totally on your side.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 am

Oolala, you certainly are awesome..thanks for the welcome..

I have 2 days green so far...I truly have to beat the night time eating. My best friend and I text each other...when I want to keep eating I text her..so far we are inspiring each other.

I come to realize that binging, definitely does NOT fill any voids or deep needs in me..just makes me feel worse...

Thanks again pal!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

Welcome back and best of luck!
Permasnacking in the evening was a habit for me too.
I never thought I would beat it, but the novelty of starting something new got me through at first.
Now 3 meals is a habit, but I still have to remind myself.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 pm

WELCOME BACK FROM ME , TOO, DEB! Just spent some time reading your thread here and I am sorry to hear of your husband and your little cat (Hope I am not reinvoking old memories here, if you know what I mean, and if I have done so, I sincerely apologize! ) I just wanted to know I was mad at myself for having not read and therefore responded sooner to your posts at that particular time. Anyway, just wanted to let you know again that it is great to have you back in the No S fold and all the best with the plan; this is such a supportive place!

Take care!!

((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 am

Deb, Welcome back, I missed you! Congrats on two green days, keep it up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:13 am

Smart tactic to have a buddy to call regarding the night eating. The difficulty won't last forever.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Journaling

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 am

I'm also starting something new, journaling, the really stuff to find out when all the binging started for me. I have come to a new found awareness that binging really does nothing for me anymore. So with that awareness what will I do with it.

I also wanted to journal because what happens is once I start to lose weight and feel better all the bad things seem to not come to mind so easily...like having a baby, some of us have more..totally forgetting the pain until it starts again.

I want to get down to the nitty gritty of why and what I'm going to do about it.

Being totally aware of how bad physically and mentally being overweight is my goal. Every step that is hard to take, every pair of pants that don't fit right, every night after the binge when I'm remorseful, and the crowning glory is the realization, it just doesn't do anything for me anymore..

When I'm bored find something to do, when I'm stressed relax or find something to do..

Just realizing that binging only makes my days miserable with every step I take.

I don't think I ever really paid attention, I thought I did, but I didn't..I brushed my feelings under the rug and would start the next day..well the next days are getting less and less.

So with my keyboard in hand, I will be sure NOT to forget all the terrible feelings of what all the extra food at night is doing to me physically and mentally.

Oh ya, when on spark I was tracking my food even when I binged..holly molly....anywhere from 2,500 - 3,000 calories a day...mmmm, even seeing those numbers did not stop me...let's say I ate 1,500 during the day and the rest of the calories were from my binging...

No more, I have enough information to know...moving past it and back to No S is my only way.

Mmmm checking back at my habitcal, seems I left No S in November..wow that is 4 months ago...I was going strong with the green, then the red started to creep in....I think I just gave up.

I think incorporating the emotional healing will be a big change here for me.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi there. Just wanted to stop by and welcome you back to No S (I'm returning after a short break as well), and wish you the best of luck.

It sounds as though you are on the right track and ready to take on the challenge of developing healthier eating habits.

I've been binging since I was about 14 or 15 (I'm 40 now), so I know how you feel when you're trying to change life-long habits - not an easy feat at all! About a year ago, I did some soul searching and it was as if a bell sounded in my head.....I suddenly realized why I started way back when and why I continue to do it to this day. Countless times I would be eating so much, knowing I would feel so bad about it the next day, but I just kept on eating. The scale just keeps going up, and I've finally come to the same realization that this is not an option anymore. It just isn't.

Ooops....sorry to go on and on about myself on your thread....just wanting you to know there are others out there who feel as you do - and you are not in this alone. Just imagine us No S'ers along side you, cheering you every step of the way. We're going through it with you, and reminding you that you DO have the strength to overcome these habits and replace them with habits that will leave you feeling happy and content. :)
Last edited by gk on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

The realization that the bingeing really doesn't help even if it is pleasurable in the short run is priceless. One thing I saw at the beginning of No S was that I spent more time thinking about how good the food would taste and feel than on the later consequences. I think I thought then that thinking about the lousy feelings later was the same as being guilty and that doesn't help. But I saw that I could be objective about it. I just felt crappy later and regretted that I didn't give myself the chance not to feel better. It was rather rational. Just keep realizing a few hours after your N day meals how fine you feel. When I would start to think about the delight of my binge foods, I would just shift my thoughts to remembering that feeling. It wasn't easy but it got easier and it becomes... habit. For a long time when I would walk past those foods in the market, my heart would still give a jump! But now, nothing for almost all of them. And that's good enough!

No matter what discoveries you make about the causes, which is also a great journey, there is always something else better to do than eat-- sleeping and crying included. But tap into your spiritual foundations then, too. You're more than all of this.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 am

Today is day 4 back on No S, I ate pretty good today, but fighting the darn urge to continue eating....for no reason mind you, just because.

But it is 9:00 p.m. and I'll be hitting the hay very shortly and plan on waking up feeling like I succeeded.

Sometimes it is hard to get over the empty kind of feeling inside, even though not really a hunger feeling..I guess my body was so used to me binging it has to adjust to just being normal..with that said..

good night...hide from the food i will
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 am

I just want to encourage you, so if this doesn't help, toss it!

I have been feeling so much better and more satisfied since I started this recent challenge (I'm on day 10) and I'm adding a lot more fruits and veggies to my meals. An apple is so much more satisfying than say chips or a granola bar.

Usually we eat light at supper, but tonight I used the big plate, it was full of fresh fruit and veggies, and then the sandwich also had sauteed veggies on it. I feel so satisfied. Last night was a struggle, because I had to eat in the car, nuts, granola bars, apple, banana. I got home and was not hungry but not satisfied. Then I had 2 slices of cheese and 3 crackers. I know if I would have had veggies and more protein I wouldn't have felt that way.
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am

NoSnacker wrote:Today is day 4 back on No S, I ate pretty good today, but fighting the darn urge to continue eating....for not reason mind you, just because.

But it is 9:00 p.m. and I'll be hitting the hay very shortly and plan on waking up feeling like I succeeded.
Good job resisting - you can do this!! :)

NoSnacker

Urges

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 am

Hit the 5 day mark...seems now what I think is mmm, what do I want to eat that will satisfy me. I had a decent week, but the same struggles with fending off any night time eating. If only the evenings would be just as if it were after breakfast..I would not care about food. Would love to tap into that feeling.

I wonder at times why do most of us on these boards and any other diet struggle in the evening...

I know the experts like to blame it on the food, but really...I'm not hungry when I binge..my body seems satisfied, but the mind isn't. So who knows..I read a lot on how food tastes so good, like a drug that we need it over and over again..mmm that I can certainly agree with..but not so sure it has to do with disordered eating as I have been seeing it described lately.

I think for most, I know it has a lot to do with our relationship with food and what it meant to us growing up. We use food for all the wrong reasons most of the time...one of the most valued treasures.

And mostly the dreaded yo-yo dieting, starvation diets, all of it...

My thoughts for the morning while I enjoy my tea and get ready for my walk.

Here is to a sane weekend.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 am

Welcome Back NoSnacker! I too am back after a long absence (longer than yours :wink: ). Wishing you a very happy and sane weekend! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Deb...It's so nice to see you again! I've had a difficult winter & have been here only occasionally but I've missed you! It's good to be back & VERY good to have you here too. You're such an encourager...we can cheer each other on!

Congrats on a whole green week!

Hugs..janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Re: Urges

Post by gk » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:09 pm

NoSnacker wrote:I wonder at times why do most of us on these boards and any other diet struggle in the evening...

I know the experts like to blame it on the food, but really...I'm not hungry when I binge..my body seems satisfied, but the mind isn't.

Here is to a sane weekend.
Yeah, I've wondered that alot myself. I can be totally fine and BAM....nighttime comes and I just feel like munching for hours. I especially have a hard time on rainy days or when I settle in at night to watch a movie. Food feels almost like the physical comfort of cuddling up in a blanket or something. I don't have to be hungry---I just like the sensation that the food gives me. Weird. :roll:

Well, that can and WILL be a thing of our past. Binging be gone - we're DONE with that!!!

I started off this weekend fine, but slowly with the cloudy skies, and the kids home on time off, I feel the "munchy monster" rearing his ugly head. All we need to do is keep busy and repeatedly remind ourselves why we're doing this. Sometimes I mentally fast forward about 30 minutes whenever I'm thinking of eating....actually try to feel how I would feel if I went ahead and ate too much. That stuff actually works sometimes!

Just you wait - spring will be a great season for us - lots of green outside AND on our habitcals. 8) :D

Have a great weekend. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Eating at night can have to do with childhood issues or even adult ones, but I have the thought that these things can be almost endless. I am almost constantly looking at my emotional issues in life. I've got a lot of them, I've come to see! Especially because I've discovered that my innate temperament and talents in life do not match the workplace very well, so in some ways, I am very often up against my weaknesses in life all day long, and I have not found many outlets to counteract that SO FAR. But I've found that the food can be dealt with to some degree separately through No S because it forces me to divorce the two, and it turns out I can. Eating started as a comfort but eventually just became paired with the thoughts, feelings, and situations/environments of evening/nighttime. So now, I'm still affected by my day and don't necessarily spend the evening as a happy camper singing about my life, but I don't eat anymore, either. And I don't believe at all that I've avoided solving a problem by not having the food alert me to it. I've found that I can cope even though I am not in a position to solve the problem in the moment.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Evening snacking is something more simple for me I think - habit and boredom. When my mind and/or body isn't active I reach for food to pass the time. When I'm watching TV I automatically look for something to munch on. Years of doing that takes time to break I guess! If I'm out for the evening doing something then I might not even think about food or hunger.

Maybe I should just try and make my life super exciting :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:12 pm

I have a lot less trouble with evening temptation here in Mexico. The reason is the eating schedule. I have breakfast around 10, dinner (the big meal) around 2 or 3 PM, supper about 7 or 8PM. I go to bed about 10:30 or 11, so I have fewer hours to be hungry in the evening. I think I just might try to stick closer to this when we get back to the states.
8)
Patty

KL

Post by KL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 am

Yay! NoSnacker - you're doing awesome...

I heard somewhere that night eating is simply due to stress. For me, anyway, it is that easy. I want to release the stuff from the day by self-soothing.

It's imperative that I eat a satisfying dinner so I don't feel deprived in any manner and want to continue on with the "nurturing". Ha! what kind of nurturing is it to avoid a problem with turning to the food. Then I have 2 problems. And the first one is buried even deeper. :lol:

I agree with milliem - it was a habit. I needed to make a new one and stop with all the excuses. Now I brush my teeth and sometimes have tea. Do you have a ritual at the end of meals? May help some.
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

NoSnacker

S Day not gone wild

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08 am

zippadee, determined, gk, oolala, milliem, sweetness and KL, thanks much for your recent comments and valuable feedback and mostly for your encouragement...

Yesterday was an S Day NOT gone wild. I decided that I'm sticking with my 3 meals..and I allowed myself a candy bar. I did a strange thing for dinner, I had 4 garlic stuff olives (nice and salty), gulten free pasta/sauce (fake carbs :), and a slice of goat cheese that was rolled in blueberries (kind of dessert)....so I hit a lot of taste buds.

KL, I don't really have a night ritual...but I'm looking into something. I tried things but gave up.

Milliem most definitely my biggest as well is bordem eating which turned into habit. Looking to change up my habit :).

Oolala, you have got that right...childhood and adult issues can be endless..food is definitely not the cure..meant to be pleasurable and enjoyable and to live...as that saying goes, some eat to live and others live to eat.

gk, that good sensation from food has definitely shown it's true colors to me..it still leaves that darn hole, and the feeling that that sensation will never be satisfied..work in progress :)

Sweetness - I'm sure that nice habits you are learning in Mexico will be carried back to the USA with you...you are blessing many in your walk so I ask for many blessings for you..one is your continued success in keeping your habit...

I might try doing something each night of the week when I get home from work, like something reinhard said on here about index cards..have to listen to the podcast again.

What worked before for me was eating when I get hungry and my dinner ends up being later...

I don't eat breakfast upon arising but usually before 9:00, even thought I get up at 5:00.

Today is another S day and we are going to some relatives for dinner and to hang out. I'm sure I can stick to the one plate and seconds only if something is worth it.

I guess for my S days, I'm allowing somethings..but not allowing a binge like I did before.

Have a super Sunday!

KL

Post by KL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Wow! Great variety in your dinner. :) And here's to you for not going wonky. :D :D

Isn't it the best feeling when your head hits the pillow to feel blessed with all the goodness?? To know that you are treating your mind, body and soul with respect?

Keep your eye on the prize. :D
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Nosnacker *waving emphatically* good to see you back.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I lived in the Middle East in my early twenties and had an Iranian boyfriend (don't worry; much cooler guy than many Westerners) who had lived in India, so my tastes and cooking lean towards those flavors. In recent years, I was looking at a diet book called Cinch! in which the writer recommended meals with certain flavors. It matched what I was already doing to some degree. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes have something roasted with potatoes! But your meal of varied flavors and textures sounds smart to me.

Hope you enjoy today. You can live only one S day at a time anyway. Or any day, really. Boy, I have to keep remembering that one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

I don't think the queasy feeling comes from not eating. I think it's because I ate such an unusually starch-and-sweet "diet" yesterday. I'm not used to eating all dense foods, esp. not sweet/ processed things. I think if I'd had a meal with some veggies, protein, the snacky things as my starch and maybe one brownie for dessert, I wouldn't have felt queasy. But I probably wouldn't have gotten very hungry later, either. That's okay one or two days a week. But you know, sometimes, I like popping things in my mouth when they're there! And I'm willing for that to change, just like I finally got tired of the terrible feelings after eating a package of cookie dough, even though I actually still loved the eating part.

I think you are in a great place. I think you are just really tired of how ineffective eating is for the unconscious (and entirely human) purpose it had for you (and most other overeaters). That is such a high place! It undercuts so much of the romanticizing of being able to eat too much and of the vilifying of it, too. It's not wonderful or terrible. It's just what one of my ex-boyfriends would call unproductive and unnecessary suffering. But it's hard to impose the knowledge on yourself. When it comes from within, it's powerful.

I like Roth, but I recommend her cautiously because I guess I think she is overly caught up in the eating only when hungry. She hasn't had a job where she didn't have control over her hours for nearly her whole adult life. And after all this time, she sounds like she still turns all kinds of things that happen into her life into catastrophes, though in this last book, she seems to be recognizing it. I know you'll wisely take her with a grain of salt.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

S Day Not gone wild

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 am

Weekend was binge free. Also allowed myself a treat each day and a snack on Sunday. Stuck to my 3 meals.

Exercised both Saturday and Sunday.

Trying to stay focused and remind myself daily "binging is not the answer" and "will never be the answer" what binging will do for me is keep me in an unhappy place...

Off to a new week.

gk

Re: S Day Not gone wild

Post by gk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

NoSnacker wrote:Weekend was binge free. Also allowed myself a treat each day and a snack on Sunday. Stuck to my 3 meals.

Exercised both Saturday and Sunday.

Trying to stay focused and remind myself daily "binging is not the answer" and "will never be the answer" what binging will do for me is keep me in an unhappy place...

Off to a new week.
WOW!! What a great weekend for you! You should be very proud of yourself. That's hard enough during the week, but to have your weekend be that way is a great accomplishment! Keep up the great work! :D

KL

Post by KL » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Excellent - way to go. :D :D :D

I just reread Chapter 6 - Building the No S Habit - Reinhard address's the emotional eating component. It may resonate with you - sure did with me.

Keep on keeping on. :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Great weekend! You want to stay in that happy place. :wink: Both of our weekends were binge-free. Yea!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

All I remember Reinhard saying was that to the emotional eater, it seems like a good idea but that it's a very bad idea, and maybe a bit more. Well, what's new? (Actually, I just went an re-read the section and he does go into it a bit more, but along lines I think are questionable.) I LOVE the guy, but it seems rather obvious that he rarely felt that kind of pull and never developed the habit or eating just because he hated his body was disgusted with himself for getting there. (And all the other stock reasons.) He doesn't seem to be subject to a lot of self-recrimination, either, and admonishes against using it. Perhaps he's fought a lot of those demons and hasn't shared the battles much, or prefers to downplay them just to avoid giving them the power of attention? But it's not just a matter of saying emotional overeating is a bad idea or hearing it, though both are useful. We've got to live it, one experience at a time, and that is how the healing happens.

Sounds like you had some healing experiences this weekend. They are in the account!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 pm

WOW!! Excellent job, Deb! I really, really wish I could get my S Days under control as I think it would be the answer to all of my prayers! Well, maybe that was a tad melodramatic - lol - but you know what I mean!! ??

This weekend it was just snack after snack and not much in the way of proper meals for me. At one point, yesterday afternoon, I felt very bloated and rather queasy (sorry TMI!) after eating so much garbage. I then started to ponder... then fret.... what IF the No S Plan isn't for me? I can't seem to control my eating on weekends so I'm never gonna conquer this and start eating normally! I better try some other plan! THIS was the sort of panic thinking I was doing and I even carried it into today (my N Days). I promised myself I was going to have a dessert or snack after dinner since that might be how best to eat/control my weekends; no S Days just everyday the same etc. etc. BUT the strange (good) thing was, after dinner, I just did not feel like a dessert or any extras after. I feel satisfied; I am USED to N Days being in control so why 'blow' it because i am anticipating how my S Days are going to be?

Anyway, I wanted to say many congratulations on a very successful weekend. Fingers crossed, I will get through it eventually !

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 am

I don't mind long notes at all. I love No S, and love supporting people in it.

Okay, remember you're talking to someone who had serious problems with S days for nearly TWO YEARS! If I wanted to be upset, I could be even now because my S days still aren't what others might call tame, but I sense the changes and I've had some very good weekends. Given what I used to be like before No S in general, this is so much better. I was stuck in weight loss rip tide for a long time, and I'm sure I'll go there again. I'm going to plateau at some point. But N days are the anchor. And weekends are getting smarter. Plus, I'm changing my work assignment, so in a few months, I should have more discretion over my time and hope to work on some life enrichment that I think will also help.

Anyway, just have a great Tuesday, and forget the weekend until it's time to live it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am

Battle won...choked out the URGE...he died slowly, but die he did...choke it, kick it, step on it..yes a bit violent, but hey he had no mercy and neither will I.

I can't figure out this contender, where exactly he comes from...but I will not be beaten down anymore..

I'm a fighter and fight I will.

Can't believe I have lost this battle for over 30 years..

Yesterday was a new found victory...

Bring it on URGE, I'm not losing to you anymore!!! :evil:

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am

NoSnacker wrote:Battle won...choked out the URGE...he died slowly, but die he did...choke it, kick it, step on it..yes a bit violent, but hey he had no mercy and neither will I.

I can't figure out this contender, where exactly he comes from...but I will not be beaten down anymore..

I'm a fighter and fight I will.

Can't believe I have lost this battle for over 30 years..

Yesterday was a new found victory...

Bring it on URGE, I'm not losing to you anymore!!! :evil:
Woo hoo! You go girl!!! :D

KL

Post by KL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Yay for victories. :D :D

I'm sure you're familiar with this...

..I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do...

Paul had it going on, didn't he???

HabitMaker

Post by HabitMaker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Sounds like you're doing great, and this is an amazingly active thread! I hope it keeps going well. Keep fighting and winning! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 am

Go No Snacker!! Deb, we're proud of you! :wink: 8) :lol: :D :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:30 am

YAYY!!! :D :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 am

OMgosh, woman, you are a different person! It's great to see you developing your repetoire of coping strategies. Threatening to kick the crap out of the urge is a good one.

And to supplement that reinforcing your loving side, think back on the food you did eat and how enjoyable it was. So you fed yourself delightfully with food, and fed yourself with tough talk, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 am

ahhhhh girls, GK, KL, Habitmaker, Sweetness, NoSRocks, Oolala...thanksss..

Last night I didn't have the battle to content with...welll..maybe..

My DH went to the store for his snack and normally asks if I would like something..I said no thanks...he came back and I could see ALL the sugar (he gave up beer) so sugar must do something for him.

I said ahh what did you get, he said not for you then must have became guilty and said he had a kit kat, etc. I could have..I said nope, only 3 squares no snacks..

Well we got into an argument as he said people should eat snacks, healthy ones like oranges and stuff...told me I will just give up and gain whatever I lose as it is not normal...told him I did my research and SNACKs are not normal...oh well,,he did not sway me..

I said you commented about a winter hat I bought, so I became self-conscience and stopped wearing it..you commented about the purse I bought...too old lady like, so I became self-conscience and stopped using it..

I told him that his comment was not going to make me stop trying...

K, had to vent..sorry about that...

I hope to prove him wrong..and good thing I don't have to be self-conscience about my eating style!

Yes, Oolala, I think I will try what you suggested and pounder on the lovely food I ate all night.

Last night I did tell myself, that why worry about the urge, when I know I certainly will have my 3 meals tomorrow.

Let the battle continue!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 am

Good job Deb, looks like your really doing this not just physically but the mental work too!

KL

Post by KL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Awesome. :D :D

The URGE shows himself in all kinds of ways, doesn't he??

...He who is in your heart is not of the world...right? :wink:

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Well we got into an argument as he said people should eat snacks, healthy ones like oranges and stuff...

I told him that his comment was not going to make me stop trying...

Last night I did tell myself, that why worry about the urge, when I know I certainly will have my 3 meals tomorrow.

Let the battle continue!
My hubby said the same thing - that you should be able to eat as many snacks as you want, as long as it's fruit, etc. I don't think they get the habit that we're trying to form (quit grazing), and I don't know about your husband, but my husband just doesn't GET the whole mental war with food. In fact, he gained about 5-6 lbs. this winter. He suddenly realized he needed to give up certain foods and did it WITH NO STRUGGLE WHATSOEVER. He lost the weight already and he's perfectly content - can never understand why I make this whole diet thing into such a big deal. "Just do it, he says. You just don't eat certain things. That's it." SO frustrating when someone simplifies it like that. The concept is so easy to them because they don't have all the issues with food that we do.

Sorry to go on and on, but I am SO PROUD of you for not giving in to temptation, especially when you were having an arguement like that. I get riled up when I'm disagreeing like that and then eat out of pure frustration. And then to not give in when he's practically egging you on to have a snack......YOU ARE DOING THIS!!!!! YAY YOU!!!! Keep it up girl! :D

Oh and P.S.....the whole changing your hat, purse etc. thing because of his comments? I tend to react that way, too, and I'm really trying to change that about myself as well. My new mantra? (and one I teach my kids when other kids are mean at school)......"If you don't like it, don't look at it....I happen to like it and that's all that matters!!!" I have to remind myself to be myself, enjoy myself and quit letting others form my opinions. (Sorry, like I said this is a hot button for me that gets me going and going and going.... :) ) Oh, and you know what? A kid was teasing my daughter about a shirt she was wearing, and she actually had the guts to say that calmly and directly to him (she's a little shy at school), and guess what happened? It shut him up and he left her alone. She felt more confident, and he had to search for someone else to pick on. I figure if a 10 year old can do it, so can I! :)

Have a great day!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 pm

You have to consider the source... maybe he feels threatened and doesn't want to face that he's got problems with food, if he does. You could say you understand his concern but that you feel you are getting plenty of nutrition at your meals and don't think you are short-changing yourself one bit- which is true. Perhaps you could each agree not to comment on what either of you should or shouldn't be doing about food for a few weeks. It seems to me that couples get very used to telling each other what to do, men and women both, and on things that don't really concern the partner. This also means you can't tell him about your struggles while you sort things out for yourself. You can say that you won't consider it impolite if he doesn't offer you food outside of mealtime on weekdays. And you can always use some of the more light-hearted lines on him: Oh, I'm good. Oh, I wish I was hungry enough to want that. Oh, I'm still full from ______. Oh, I'm saving my appetite for breakfast/lunch/dinner. (One woman said she forgot she was talking out loud and told a coworker who offered her sweets, No, thanks. It's Tuesday. ) And smile. This is it. You're going to win, even when it doesn't feel like it or look like it. Keep adjusting the airplane, just like you have been.

I'm not married but on the clothing thing I guess I've thought that each person should be willing to have a few outfits they wear to please the mate, but that for the most part, they have to come to their own sense of what they like. Does he always dress to please you? Although frankly men can often use help and some of them even appreciate it. But they should get to have their own style, too, no matter how hideous it is.

I went shopping several years ago with a savvy friend and it really helped me determine what I think looks good. Colleagues sometimes give advice, but if I don't particularly like their taste, I just say thanks, and wear what i want. But I do ask for advice from those whose choices I like. If you think he might have a point, ask an honest, smart friend. If you think he doesn't know what he's talking about, just ask if he's really embarrassed to be seen with you. Then still do what you want! Tell him he'll get over it. It's not like you're doing the equivalent of a man insisting on going out for lap dances!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey deb! Well done you for sticking by your guns! My DH has also lost a considerable amount of weight since the beginning of the year.... doesn't seem to be as much of a struggle for him, either and I believe he likes to snack.... Or perhaps he is just less vocal about it than I am :P

Snacks may work for some people.... but I found that whenever I started one of those 'grazing' diet plans or eating 6 small meals per day, all I could think about and WORRY about was food and what to eat etc, etc. Didn't work for me.

BTW, GREAT JOB!! You're in a very good place!!

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 am

Hey Deb!
Great job for sticking to what you want to do for YOU. It has to be difficult when you don't feel supported by the one you love the most. Hope you had a great day today!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 am

Had a pretty good night...what I find is if I put just a small slab of blueberry covered goat cheese on my plate..it feels like dessert and leaves that goat cheese taste behind which I love..so the urge to have anything else leaves..

Funny goat cheese as a way to end a meal and cleave to the palate!

Mmmm, probably not good for the cholesterol....seeing I can't take meds...

Here is to a great Thursday, heading out shortly for a walk..love working from home as I can walk early on those days..

11 days straight of exercise...walking/elliptical...keeping the green going...I'm normally one that likes to exercise so not a struggle like dealing with food.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:04 pm

The French end their meals with fruit and cheese often, so you are just being chic. They also eat more dairy than other Mediterranean cultures and have the lowest heart disease. Milk, full fat, in coffee only in the a.m. Black coffee other times. About an ounce of cheese at the end of a meal, savored. Not a burrito dripping with three day's worth of cheese and wolfed down. The French LOVE their food but that doesn't translate to them to eat a lot of it fast.

I read a series of books written by an American who spent a year in France and it turned around her attitude. She's a terrible snob about being thin, in my opinion, but her words on chic French women's attitude about food have often helped. A French woman would enjoy her piece of pizza, for example, probably cutting it up to eat it and reveling in the flavors of the sauce and cheese, and the texture of the crust. She would never be thinking, oh, this is going to make me fat. And she wouldn't keep eating just because it tasted good. She wants to feel good, not stuffed, while she sips her coffee and savors a small square of dark chocolate. And she would never keep a stash of candy or horrors, a protein bar, in her desk drawer. She wouldn't want to ruin her appetite for much more delicious food later. C'est fantastique!

Oh, do I envy you about the exercise. I didn't even do my 10 minutes yesterday. And I'm off work right now! Got NO excuse.

Keep up the good work!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:17 pm

It's funny how people insist that snacking and eating all day is 'natural' and must be good for you! Clearly, if snacking was good for me I wouldn't be overweight :lol: :wink:

Anyway well done on staying strong and sticking to the plan :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

Had a great night, no binging..that is my ultimate goal...which of course will result in weight loss. Since leaving No S I was up to 187, between struggling counting calories and returning to No S, I weighed 180 this morning...

I was hoping to weigh monthly, but I always feel fat in my tummy even though I'm doing good food wise so for now I'll weigh weekly, need that little extra reward by not gaining or even better losing a tad.

Just the 7lbs loss of what I gained I feel better already.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Nice work, NoSnacker! However I'm a little afraid if you weigh on a bad day and you have a gain. I'd hate to see you go into a tailspin over such a known enemy.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gk

Post by gk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm

oolala53 wrote:Nice work, NoSnacker! However I'm a little afraid if you weigh on a bad day and you have a gain. I'd hate to see you go into a tailspin over such a known enemy.
You have a VERY good point. I was feeling great and having no problems with temptation whatsoever, and then I weighed myself. Gained a pound after drastically changing my food and eating this past 1 1/2 weeks. Just that measly ole' pound has totally changed my mood and I'm considering a binge (like that'll help!), and it's 9:45 in the morning!

Not that you asked for it, but my advice? Keep your weigh-ins to monthly.

Oh, BTW.......NICE JOB on the weight loss NoSnacker!! Woohoo :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm

I agree about being careful weighing. Not to do it often.
I used to be obsessed with it. Weighing every morning. I'd strip down and step on and off and on and off until I was SURE of my exact weight.
But to be honest, if it were a bit lower, I'd realize, "oh great! maybe i can eat a little more today! (esp. if i had had a few treats the day before)".
And if it were high, I'd be sad, put on the reigns, and then rebel.
So it's kinda a lose-lose, but once in awhile great to get on to check progress.
Just my experience. good luck!
Liz

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Oolala, ibb and gk...i hear ya on all accounts. I think I will weigh in on the 1st of the month instead of weekly.

I know I have thrown in the towel in the past based on the scale. Doing so great with beating down the urges and eating my 3 squares and taming my S days, hate to fail cause of a number at this point in time, matter of fact at any point in time.

Funny I usually won't weigh myself when I'm not dieting because I hate to see the damage I'm doing...

oolala thanks advice taken...i surely do not want a tailspin as we all know them toooo well...

ibb, i do the same thing, strip down, expect for my undies of course and get on like 3 or 4 times until the number is the same for the last couple.

gk, i know it can be discouraging, but hang in there...I'm going to commit to weighins on a monthly basis.

See now I can weight April 1...etc. etc.

I know how obessed and controlled by the scale I can be..

thanks all
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Congrats on the weight loss! You are doing great! :mrgreen:
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:50 pm

good job on losing 7 lbs! What a boost!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:41 am

Made it thru another week, found eating my dinner yet again later at night helps keep binging at bay....eating my breakfast between 8-8:30, lunch usually between 12-1, and dinner at 6:30-7:00.

Last night my husband bought some candy, Nutfulls they call them...came into the living room and pulled one out to hand it to me...it was in my hand..I said "thanks hon, but I would like to save until tomorrow"..he said sure, put them back in the pack and put them away.

So the temptation was there...for a second or two..just have it, it is so small..then I thought oh heck no, why do I want to blow a green day for a piece of chocolate..anyway I can have tomorrow...

Eating my 3 squares can be challenging but rewarding at the same time...and I keep in mind what Oolala told me, reflect back on the good foods I ate during the day...I do that now which helps me to realize I had plenty of good stuff...and I know tomorrow is another day of good food...no deprivation just working towards a normal relationship with food.

So with that said, I'm getting ready for my walk..

My best friend lives about 45 minutes away, so we do our phone walks...fun, feels like she is right there with me....

Here is to a SANE S day...

HabitMaker

Post by HabitMaker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:39 am

Great job on resisting the temptation of the sweet offered by your husband!

I love the goal of the normal relationship with food. I find that this way of eating is very helpful for that. I feel a lot more balanced around food already, and it's been less than a month.

It sounds like things are going well. Keep up the good work! Enjoy your sane S days. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:38 pm

Regarding my recent weight loss, I was still having a hard time (actually still not easy, like N days are) with S days, so I decided that for three weekends in a row, I would curtail the eating. I think I tried eating from hunger, which I meant I would sometimes go from lunch on Saturday to late breakfast Sunday because I just wasn't hungry before I went to bed. I pushed through for 3 weekends because it struck me how much easier it was not to eat at night by the 4th night.

Christmas and New Year's were pretty easy. I was on break for another week and one time I went 36 hours without eating. Not one iota of hunger. This is always after eating sweets or something richer than usual.

However, this is not particularly fun. Some people dream of not being hungry. I don't feel wonderful about it and am still grappling. I want to eat more often than I'm hungry on S days, and I often still do, though I will wait a lot longer than I was before. It's almost as if the years of N days has made it so that any richer or more refined foods take forever to process, but I still want the mouth pleasure of eating them.

And none of the difficulty makes me able to accept the idea of just treating S days like N days. I want pancakes sometimes! But if I eat them, even just a regular portion, I don't get hungry for 8-10 hours. That might sound like heaven, but it's not because I still have that URGE to eat. And it happens on weekends and my weekends are just hard. I should be doing work for my job, I procrastinate, it hangs over my head, I have few friends to hang with, I don't plan fun things, then I do go do something and then feel frantic because I still have hours of work to do. So you can see why that desire for pleasure hangs around. Not trying to "poor me" you. It's a bit of an embarrassment that this is such an issue for a very grown woman.

This is bothersome but life is still so much better! The problem with food is now concentrated to just two days each week and not all of those days. This is certainly bearable, as life could be much harder, and I'm actually pretty lucky all around. Most of my problems are in my head, my thinking. I'll take this cross to bear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:46 pm

I don't know if it's related or not, but I only officially weighed in a few times in the last 6 months. I did sneak a few peeks in, but only a few. So, I was not determining my success most of the time by the scale. When I did start to lose, it showed up in my pants. A few weeks ago, I finally donated a lot of clothes which included some pants that I had always kept around in case I needed bigger sizes.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Oolala, really sounds like you are pretty much just being in touch with your body and mind. We really shouldn't eat if we are not hungry and if one get's to that place that is awesome.

I do seem to base my next meal on when I'm getting hungry which is usually a good 4-6 hours in between....

I have been reading a lot on today's wheat and about wheat belly's...amazed that the whole wheat we eat today has a higher GI than a snickers bar..and the excess sugar turns to belly fat or in general fat...can you believe it.

The book said they have altered our wheat so much it really isn't true wheat anymore...just a cousin of sorts.not like the biblical times of manna.

I lost 3 lbs this week, but when I look back (before the book) I wasn't eating breads/pasta, more veggies/meat, brown rice, couscous, etc. oh ya and salads, olive oil..avocado...

We are what he says, addicts to wheat products....interesting.

The more natural the food, the better...like I didn't know that..but everyone pushes whole wheat this and that...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:01 pm

WOO HOO! No Snacker!! FANTASTIC JOB ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!

Many, many Congratulations ! :D :D

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:05 pm

BTW - oolala: I am feeling confident that today might be THE day to attempt the eat only when hungry strategy that you use. I just thought about it.... after having a seven layer bar (small slice !) for breakfast :oops: :oops: My excuse? It had been in the refrigerator for ages and it was about time I ate it! Ha!

Feeling really stuffed and since I am working again today (Sunday) I will try to see how long I can go before I get truly hungry again. I had a pretty moderate S Day yesterday so I feel slightly more confident than usual but we'll see..... !!

Thanks again, Deb and oolala for your wonderful and inspirational posts! You both keep me going strong ! :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 am

Be very careful about food prejudices prematurely. You seem to be doing pretty well without undue restricting. Just remember every person writing a book is going to have his/her viewpoint. They have subjective temperaments. There's nothing wrong with that. It is the temperament of most artists, scientists, and academics. It is in their nature to develop a point of view and then share it with the world. But the world can be interpreted in so many ways. I think i told someone I was browsing looking for a book about how to handle undisciplined thoughts on sticking to food plan and I stumbled on a book about all the toxins in foods. I swear, I went through the whole restrict/binge/regret cycle in my head right in the store. Down deep I was saying frantically, but what am I going to eat? Just eat moderate portions of foods and be very honest about your reactions. is it just the placebo effect? I've found so many things they say are true aren't true for me. Snacking did not stop me from bingeing. It made it more likely. Being very hungry for my meals doesn't make me binge. If anything, I feel I get full faster. I eat much less sugar than I used to and even have some very sane days with it! Maybe I'd be a lot thinner and would never crave sugar if I didn't eat wheat, but I'm not going to find out very soon. I've had so many good N days eating a chunk of fantastic artisan whole wheat bread or a whole wheat tortilla. Why aren't the Italians suffering from wheat problems? (Maybe they are?) They are wheat freaks, bread and pasta, though not large amounts of either one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 am

Yesterday was able to do my elliptical in the am and walked on my lunch hour..

Breakfast 8:30: yogurt/strawberries

Lunch 1:30: crab/avocado salad/pear

Dinner 6:30: Chinese (1/2) Steamed veggies w/chicken over white rice and curry sauce/applesauce

Last night was a bit of a struggle, the URGE, but I told myself I'll be going to bed soon and waking up happy I did not give in..and yup, woke up this morning feeling pretty good.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Congrats on the weight loss!!! :D

Interesting this talk about waiting for hunger on S Days. I did the Weigh Down diet once, which is based on this. I guess it is similar to intuitive eating. I have the hardest time finding "true" hunger. I could go forever without eating because I just wouldn't feel hungry enough. I would always question it. Am I REALLY hungry or could I wait a bit longer? I feel hungry, but am I hungry enough?? It was so difficult for me! 3 square meals no questions is so much easier for me! I go by the clock. It's meal time I eat. Now, I have no problem with the "full" feeling. I can decipher that easily. And am uncomfortable when I pass that.

Keep on keepin' on NoSnacker! You are doing awesome!

Diets Don't Work.

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 am

WTG on not giving in to the URGE. What a great feeling, huh?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 am

Nice job on using your thoughts to combat the URGE. No strangling needed last night! I think it's starting to learn.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

BertinHouston

Post by BertinHouston » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Congrats on withstanding the urge to give in to temptation, it pays you back double with eventual weight loss and increase in determination.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 am

Yesterday was another double exercise day: elliptical in the am and walked on my lunch hour. Walked at a slower pace as my co-worker didn't have sneakers.

Breakfast 8:00: mini wheat bagel w/PB; yogurt

Lunch 1:00: crab/avocado salad; piece swiss cheese & turkey; mango/mixed berries

Dinner 7:00: fish, mashed potatoes, asparagus, pineapple

Stopped on my way home for work to pick up milk and bought my DH his nightly snack, was feeling a tad bit sad that I didn't get a snack to :)

That darn URGE to keep on keepin on with the food is crazy...I was totally pleasantly full from dinner, but pasted fairly quickly. Watched The Voice that I taped from Monday, went to bed later than normal.

Here's to hump day!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am

Deb, so far, I didn't need a root canal. Thank goodness for x-rays to tell that the root was okay. The dentist did take off a little of the tooth and the one above because he said my bite was putting too much pressure on the tooth to allow the tissue to heal. I'm also finishing my antibiotic series. I have to actually tap on the tooth on purpose to feel an extra sensitivity.

However, I'm almost wishing at this point the dentist had told me I had to puree all my food instead of filing my teeth because I failed again yesterday after my daytime fail. More cereal and, I've got to say it and it's really hard to admit, but biscuit dough with sugar. I'm freaking out over not making myself work when I absolutely have to. I cannot go back to work on Monday without having these papers graded. We will hit the ground running with new work to take in and I have at least 4 assignments, some of them packets of papers, from 66 students to look at. Some of the work was handed in over a month before the break. This is really as big an problem in my life as eating was. It's been true my entire work life. And to some degree, spending time online on this issue is part of the problem, I realize. I don't eat as much but my obsession isn't gone and it is even affecting my worklife. I've got to face this down, too. The only reason I'm allowing myself to do this now is I refuse to let myself get back in the habit (yet) of waking up to work in the middle of the night. I've got to hold out for the belief that I can conquer this as I have near-conquered food. I just can't see having to give up my career in these last few years, but if I continue the way I am, I may have to. A teacher has to be able to get work done outside of class. I can do the prep, but the grading! Wish me luck. I'm going to go back to bed for awhile, and try again today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am

I was a tad worried that because I ate dinner so early I would want a snack, although the desire was there, I said nope, can't give in.

Then the old thoughts came back, "been down this path before, you'll just quit again", I'll never be thin, I'm just getting too old", yada yada.

This morning, I woke up and saw my tummy and was like, "that is never going to go away".

All the years of dieting, doing well, failing, etc, repeat, repeat, repeat has caused so much doubt in my succeeding. Truly stinks.

I plan on doing some beck cards..for these thoughts...as these thoughts and my URGE combined can be deadly to my success.

I did not eat last night and the urge passed thankfully. So now I'm looking forward to the weekend...for what, eating all the crap I don't eat during the week does not make me feel any better.....

Breakfast 8:00: oatmeal/walnuts/cranraisans

Lunch 1:00: bean soup/slice mester bread

Dinner 6:00: salmon, corn on cob, green beans, 1/2 yam, 2 olives/goat cheese

2 more days and I'll have my 21 days...and off to the next 21.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 am

GREAT job resisting, Deb!!! Doing a happy jig for you this morning! We CAN do this! This is different. This is sustainable for life! Life changing stuff!! Happy Thursday!

Diets Don't Work.

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 am

Deb, I am looking forward to the weekend, too. Missing my popcorn, especially during Survivor last night. lol You can do this. I know I haven't been at this long but I know already how bad the urges to snack can be. We can do this! YOU can do this! :)

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Yay for you for not giving in to temptation. :D

As you know, each time you say NO to the URGE, it get's quiter and smaller.

Aim to focus on each meal at a time - it can be overwhelming thinking about the future. This time IS different. :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Great job resisting.
Push the negative voice aside. It never helps. You will not see physical differences for awhile, but isn't your mental state so much better?
And, the other physical benefits of not feeling ill from food?
Like KL said, just take it one meal at a time.
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I wonder how your tummy felt after not having that snack?

I think you were saying you actually don't care that much about getting to eat snacks and sweets this weekend. It sounds like you are getting to the point where you see there is no more satisfaction in the experience of extra food, especially rich food, than there is in having just enough. Life is either good enough as it is or it isn't. Enough food makes lovely contribution, but more doesn't really change anything.

Look out. I think you may be breaking out of food jail...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Oolala - you bet my tummy felt better! And I'm more than willing to get out of food jail...

Ibb - surely do feel like my state of mind is much better off..and I hope to push the negative thoughts behind me..and look for some more positive ones! :)

KL - thankssssss....you got that right the URGE has no choice but to get smaller each time I ignore or or tear it to shreds :)

Ann_48 - thanks Ann.....I plan to have popcorn this weekend, my favorite fresh popped with some coconut oil...yummy..can't have butter.

ZippaDee - thanks for the jig.....and you got that right life changing..not focusing on dieting is great..although once could easily turn this into an obsession :)..I did last time for sure.

Bertinhouse - thanks for stopping by to say hi and the encouragement!

Everyone thanks for the encouragement! Hope to do the same for you!

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Deb, the coconut oil is probably a lot better for you. I love my butter, but may have to try that sometime!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

Had another :mrgreen: day. My eating was off schedule due to an afternoon doctor appointment.

Breakfast 9:00: slice wester bread with swiss cheese/avocado/olive oil/pear

Lunch 3:00: bean soup/1/2 slice mester bread/pineapple

Dinner 7:00: popcorn/coconut oil/diet root beer

I know popcorn wouldn't be considered dinner, but I do recall Reinhard saying if you want to eat something considered junk food for a meal it was alright...at first I felt guilty, but then I thought not a sweet, nor snack, nor seconds..so I'm good. Plus this is suppose to be about guilt free eating.

K, with that said I still don't feel good about it, but it was sure satisfying and not a binge.

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:28 am

Deb, we must have been on the same wavelength last night because I had popcorn for dinner, too. But I had one slice of pizza with mine, as well. Not a nutritious choice, but it got rid of that craving for it. Before this new way of eating, I would usually eat popcorn at least every other day, if not daily, so I feel really good that I went three days in a row without it. :)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 am

I LOVE popcorn! And I never considered this. :idea: I'm afraid for me though it may be a trigger food. I could easily get out of control I'm afraid if I did this. Glad that you both can still enjoy it on N Days! Great!!

One thing that I have been doing on S days is having a sweet in place of my breakfast instead of in addition to. Like I may have chocolate chip cookies and milk for breakfast. I know not healthy, but it's better than having my breakfast AND the cookies right?! YES...guilt free eating. It works for me and it is within the rules. Love the simplicity of this!!

Keep on keepin' on, Deb! :D Happy Friday!

Diets Don't Work.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:45 pm

I often have popcorn for supper. Just because its considered a snack food, doesnt mean you cant have it at a meal. With the coconut oil, it's good for you, too!! 8)
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:59 pm

You won't do this forever, and No S has never said you need to start with "healthy" meals. I think it's about getting it out of your system. As Reinhard implies, it's unlikely you're going to be able to look at popcorn dinners as a good idea night after night. Over the course of a year, it will balance out, unless you're kidding yourself. And that he has no cure for.

It is a little funny to me that he thinks shame will stop people from overloading their plates just from seeing them. Has he never been to a Hometown Buffet?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:51 pm

The popcorn worked out well as I ate way off schedule, and very healthy for you, fiber :). I know for me the one food I probably won't give up.

oolala - as for shame...since being on No S, my first plate was overflowing and my husband commented about it being a nice diet...so I guess that time I was shamed and went back to my 8 1/2 inch plate :)

Zippedee, I hear ya about things being a trigger food. I have been stating what I will do and then making myself stick to it. Now, IF I had tuna noodle casserole on my plate or in my house, I'm a gonner..when I first started No S last time, I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...and swore that I was sick of it..but that was months ago...I think I could do it again. Popcorn was my dinner and I put the fence around the fact that it would just be the popcorn that was it. I didn't miss a meal as I ate dinner so darn late.

Ann_48 - too funny I think when we were talking about it that morning or something like that, it gave me the hankering for it...it was a great dinner....and filling..:)

Sweetness - so glad it wasn't chips, although I would not have a problem sitting down with a bag of chips for dinner, the whole thing...thankfully my crunch was satisfied...glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks popcorn is a great dinner...in all reality it does have plenty of fiber, no fat, or salt..unless of course one adds it. I have been enjoying the extra virgin coconut oil, so good, great with fish as well.

Was able to leave work at 2:00, love it...the sun is shining and I'm starting a new book called "The Hunger Games", going to see the movie next week so want to read the book first..everyone at work loves it.

You just get to the point that diet books and self help books get pretty darn boring!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

We saw the movie Hunger games last week. It was entertaining. I haven't read the book.

Guess what I'm eating for supper? Popcorn! plus a little more of the perfect papaya! yum!

8)
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 am

When I first moved to San Diego, there was an old-style movie theater that showed two movies a night. And often different ones from day to day! I loved going to the movies after work and having popcorn for dinner.

However, that did not blossom into moderate eating...

What's funny is that I almost never get anything when I go to the movies. It's not being mean to myself. I usually go after dinner and I'm just not hungry. Not the fun it used to be to eat just because of the environment- thank goodness.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

determined

Post by determined » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:17 am

YYYUUUUMMMMM...I love popcorn! I just started making microwave popcorn by putting 1/4 cup of kernels in a paper lunch bag & sealing it with tape. 2 minutes & 25 seconds later I have popcorn! I love it...cheap & no chemicals or oils. (I have four kids & I especially like the "cheap" part!).

I think I'll have some popcorn this weekend!

Hugs all around...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 am

Friday - I have got to find a way to stick to eating dinner as close to 7:00 as possible..if I eat too early I think that the world will end if the kitchen is closed..NOW how can that be, when I can go 4-6 hours maybe meals..what a strange thing, especially when I usually eat when I start to get hungry and after dinner 90% of the time I go to bed not hungry, i like waiting until I start to feel a little hungry as we all know food tastes so much better...

Breakfast 8:00: mini wheat bagel/PB, yogurt

Lunch 12:30: chick pea & zucchini salad, mango & mixed berries

Dinner 6:00: fish taco (homemade); baked lays; 2 slices of goat cheese

Janie - funny but that is exactly how I started making popcorn, in brown lunch bags, I fold my over and it holds pretty good..then i drizzle the coconut oil on it...gives it a yummy hint of coconut if you buy the right kind...i get the extra virgin, some don't have a scent as my friend found out.

oolala - mmmmm makes me think what will i do when i go to the movies, a friend from work and myself plan on getting something to eat first so i will hope my mind is set by then for NO popcorn, that stuff will kill you..i can always take a treat, but then i might not be hungry. p.s. I bought the book about willpower...love my kindle and cloud reader...in just a few seconds I have a book! Now to find the time to read...

sweetness - is papaya the stuff that has the seeds in it? if it is i tried one not too long ago and boy oh boy must wear red clothes! good though for sure...hope you enjoyed your popcorn!

Ann_48

Post by Ann_48 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Deb, I am with you on eating as close to my "times" as possible, no more than within 30 minutes is my rule because I know if I eat too early, I won't make it. I also am early to bed and that really helps.

You ate great yesterday!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 pm

21 days! Yahoo!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

S Day Gone Wild

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 am

Saturday to me was a complete blow-out, I do not want to end up like I did last time letting my S days completely throw me. But I'm the only one that can change them.

Now, I'm going to fess up here about what I ate all day yesterday:

Breakfast:
whole wheat soft shell with egg/avocado/swiss cheese/olive oil/tomato, hot sauce (very good)

Lunch (B-day) party:
3 wings/tiny blue cheese (buffalo wings best in the world :) as I say this cause the buffalo chicken wings started here in Buffalo at the Anchor bar.
1 small square of pizza
some veggies and tad bit of dip
2 pieces of pepperoni/2 pieces of cheese
small piece of birthday cake (way too much frosting, but I ate it anyway)
tad bit of buffalo chicken wing dip/few taco chips
tad bit of cool whip fruit salad
2 chocolate suckers

Wasn't hungry, but later in the day:
Dinner
3 potato perogi (spelling - ya think I would remember as I'm 1/2 polish)
taco chips
baked lays

So boy that was a lot to remember,

I have to remember that this time can and will be different. I was able to succeed during the week with some effort but doable. Always lurking is the disordered eating.

One thing I know is I'm one of those people that once I blow something in my mind, I continue on...as one might say, I drive the car into the wall.

But today is a new day, and I'm going to go for my walk and to church and find my place back to moderation and habit.

deb :oops:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Was going to blow off exercise..why not I think I ate like a piglet yesterday, but I did it, walked 4 miles...in an hour..so that is like 15 minute miles..not too bad...

Will dust my bike off hopefully today and start my training for my bike trek in June..

I still don't feel redeemed in anyway :)