NoSnacker Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I took a break from the boards also....and it didn't bode well for me! Let's do this together! I'm just sick of saying I'm gonna do it and not following through. Day 1.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:20 am

Yesterday was not a good day food wise..I did do my elliptical and walked on my lunch hour.

Funny thing about the scale, I surely don't feel tempted to get on it when I'm not doing well. So green for the scale and exercise..RED for food yesterday.

Not sure what is going on with me...using food for comfort I'm guessing...as No S is not a hard lifestyle to follow..truly it isn't, it is me and my not dealing with my relationship when it comes to emotional eating or just plan eating just because...

Oh well, today is another day...I have things planned out food wise...

No exercise this morning..too bummed about binging yet again. :(
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am

Hi there...

It IS hard! We're not just battling food, but battling all the emotional things that have gotten twisted up with it at the same time. If this was an easy fight then no one would be struggling with it.

Hang in there....try not to give up....I did that a few years ago & I truly regret it. I can't believe I added another couple of bad eating years to my body. Just work on today....just today....

Hugs to you...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 am

NoSnacker wrote:Not sure what is going on with me...using food for comfort I'm guessing...as No S is not a hard lifestyle to follow..truly it isn't, it is me and my not dealing with my relationship when it comes to emotional eating or just plan eating just because...

No exercise this morning..too bummed about binging yet again. :(
I know exactly how you feel. It sounds so simple, but overcoming habits with food can be very difficult (and frustrating!).

Hang in there! You'll reach your end goal.....this is just a little bump in the road on your way there. :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:32 pm

You can do this!!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:26 pm

glad your back. I am still trying to figure put how to manage Internet time.
I am considering only posting on three peoples checkins a day and rotate between new people and old friends. still playing with ideas.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 am

Tuesday - failure

Well I decided to weigh in to see how much damage the last 2 weeks caused and I found I'm up 3-lbs...not as bad as I thought.

When I went to bed last night I thought, wow I'm so uncomfortable..what the heck is wrong with me..the food going in my mouth is not helping..the taste doesn't solve anything only makes things worse for me emotionally and health wise.

Normally I would give up on something by now, but I find I really don't want to yet even though I'm struggling to get even one day under my belt again...kind of feels like a diet, trying to get back on the wagon...

Journaling might help...

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

I PM'd you...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I have absolutely been there and your thinking is part of the binge eating cycle. It might be tough but it's doable and you can do this!!!! we need to be hard on ourselves before the binge and if it happens brush the crumbs of and move on.
I really believe this is the solution though progress has been soooo slow for me. I am glad for this check in because I look back at where I have been . you have done this and been successful before and you can again.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Normally I would give up on something by now, but I find I really don't want to yet even though I'm struggling to get even one day under my belt again
Good job......persistence is key here. It may take 2 attempts, it may take 20.....but in the end you will get there, and you will be glad that you stuck with it.

Hang in there!! We're all here rooting for you. :)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Just wanted you to know I'm with ya. I totally get it. We just have to dust ourselves off and put one foot in front of the other. There's no excuse. We need to dig down deep for a little self-control....and each day gets a little tiny bit easier!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I have had two failures in a row and have yet to make an entire week. What other options are out there for me continue to binge out of control counting calories points or carbs....or keep on with this?
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Thought some sayings from Flylady are appropriate here... You are not behind, you don't have to catch up, just jump in now as if you are starting.
:wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:34 am

Wednesday - failure

I watched the Biggest Loser from this week that I taped and I sat there thinking to myself that I have 20lbs to lose to be healthy and feel energetic, and I truly need to say to myself when I go to grab that extra food "STOP, your health is at risk here". Heart disease runs in both sides of my family and with having high cholesterol and not able to take the meds I have to eat and exercise right to live..I guess I really need to focus on that to get back on track.

Janie suggested I can start back with baby steps, green for when I go from breakfast to lunch and another green when I make it from lunch to dinner, and of course the worse time for me green from dinner time to bed...

It truly is embarrassing to post my reds because I remember the day when I was so excited at how easy it is to follow the No S plan with an occasional red..

So I pray to find that groove again...maybe today will be the day..

P.S. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT RECENTLY FROM EVERYONE, IT TRULY INSPIRES ME.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:30 pm

I am glad you are sticking to it!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 am

It's going to get better. Give yourself a hug and ask yourself, if my friend were going through this what would I tell them? Now be your own best friend, tell yourself those things.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:10 am

Thursday - failure

No excuses or comments....I'll get there sooner or later.

I did order new 8# plates for my dinners and a small 2 cup bowl...very pretty..I like change and maybe my incentive will spike!

Ordered them from Pampered Chef, the white dishes with colored polka dots...

Today I'm hoping for green and I am the only one that can make that happen!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 am

Sweetness wrote:It's going to get better. Give yourself a hug and ask yourself, if my friend were going through this what would I tell them? Now be your own best friend, tell yourself those things.
Great advice!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:01 pm

I've been out of the loop and will be again soon--gong on a backpacking trip. No posting!

Sorry you're struggling. Me, too. Had a failure last night after I had to rush to eat before a class. Came home planning to have just enough to fill a virtual plate, but went beyond it. Not terrible, just not vanilla. And I wasn't even hungry when I came back from class.

Author Daniel Kirshenbaum cites a study that showed that 58% of people involved used eye drops according to directions to prevent PERMANENT damage to their eyesight. And only 28% who had not adhered correctly (enough to have already gone blind in one eye!) improved their adherence to the regimen. And that was just putting eye drops in 3 times a day. He was trying to show that people really resist change, even to the point of damaging themselves.

Instead of using this as an excuse I hope it galvanizes both of us. We have everything to gain by sticking with No S.

BTW,I'm going to post about the study and some other facts on the big board, so don't be surprised when you read it again, if you see the thread.

One more day to be green before the weekend!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:44 pm

MMM, I could be one of those eye drops statistics...my doctor prescribed eyes drops for borderline glaucoma and I really was terrible using them..he decided to take me off at my request and now I go to see him every 3 months..which is worse, drops every month or the doctors every 3 months..go figures...drops are easier!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:42 pm

determined wrote:
Sweetness wrote:It's going to get better. Give yourself a hug and ask yourself, if my friend were going through this what would I tell them? Now be your own best friend, tell yourself those things.
Great advice!

janie
I agree - great advice! :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:52 am

Friday - failure

I'm so glad to see a nice clean habitcal for October!! My hopes are high that I'll fight this fight and get somewhere this month...

2 weeks of non-stop binging is hurting me...emotionally and physically as well as spiritually...

But I'm a fighter and have won many a battles in my life and overcame many obstacles and this one has been hanging around a long time..and must go..

I need to do this for me!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Deb...Thanks for the PM. We'll conquer this - I absolutely believe it!

Have a good weekend...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:46 pm

NoSnacker wrote: 2 weeks of non-stop binging is hurting me...emotionally and physically as well as spiritually...
I know what you mean. Whenever I've binged for awhile, I can tell the difference in my entire outlook.....I feel weighed down (physically and emotionally), sluggish, frustrated, etc. etc......but when I stop for even a short while, I feel healthy and in control, and I'm much happier. You'd think knowing that, I just wouldn't binge anymore. But, it's SO hard!!!

Good luck to you this month! You can do this!! :D

Sweetness

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:30 am

Hope you had a great weekend. Go for the green this week. YOU CAN DO IT!! :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

Here's to the start of a new week!

I'm looking forward to the sanity and feeling better by end of week...my body needs detox. :lol:

To all my friends,,,here's to the green ":mrgreen:"

tobiasmom

habitcal

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 pm

I, too, was happy to see a clean Habitcal month...another fresh start!!! Let's do this!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 pm

So far so green..

Breakfast: yogurt
Lunch: salad/grapes
Dinner: 2 sloppy joe sandwiches (my son's for dinner)/apple

Went to visit my son and he made dinner, normally I wouldn't eat sloppy joe's but they were pretty good..

Hopefully tomorrow will be another good day...

All up to me..

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 am

:mrgreen: Yay for you!!
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 am

Way to go! :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 am

Wow, finally, after 2+ weeks of binging not including my S days..I found a green day.

I did find that while I was driving yesterday I felt the urge to stuff something down with anything thing I could get my hands on food wise. And I thought, ya know feel the feeling know that you have a lot going on in life right now and food is not going to help for long..just temporary and the regrets will set in among the other emotions. It feels great not to wake up regretful from a binge.

I'm the only one that can decide if giving in to the food for emotional reasons helps or hurts...and if it hurts enough maybe I'll find the strength not to do it.

Waking up with my tummy feeling better or going to bed without pains in my tummy feel so much better than a binge..

Today is another battle with emotional eating, but I truly want to get thru it, without food.

Here's to today a new beginning!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:28 pm

NoSnacker wrote:So far so green..

Lunch: salad/grapes
Dinner: 2 sloppy joe sandwiches (my son's for dinner)/apple

Went to visit my son and he made dinner, normally I wouldn't eat sloppy joe's but they were pretty good..

Hopefully tomorrow will be another good day...

All up to me..
Hi, I'm just looking again at what you have down here food wise. Your breakfast and lunch look a little light, unless you had a lot of yogurt for breakfast, and a big chef salad for lunch. I'm just thinking maybe you should give yourself more food till you get a couple green weeks under your belt. I eat quite a lot at meals, and that's key to my success in not snacking. Also, why would you normally not eat sloppy joes? That said, I'm proud of you, go for the green! :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Ohhhh funny, my breakfast was just yogurt as I was still full from my binging :)

Lunch was a larger salad and lots of grapes so I was pretty stuff...

Surely looking at my menu would lead one to believe I was eating like a bird but I didn't...thanks for caring.

Oh ya I have high cholesterol and not able to take meds so fatty beef is something I try to avoid...even though I LOVE BEEF!

Usually when I'm not binging I eat more breakfast...most of the time I want to skip but have something little.

Trending green today:

Breakfast: yogurt/english muffin
Lunch: chicken noodle soup/banana
Dinner: pasta, small salad

Exercise: 30 minutes
Last edited by NoSnacker on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:35 am

Looks like a green day for you!! You can do it! Thanks for your comments on my thread, you're my best cheerleader. I had an S day today...and I feel a bit bloated, but it was a good day. Looking forward to more green tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 am

Woot!! Woot!! Great job, No Snacker !! :wink: :wink:
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:06 am

Sweetness and NoSRocks Thanks for stopping by and for the atta girl!

I do have to say last night albeit a green day was hard won..

After dinner I was okay for a little bit then the snacks I bought for the weekend started to call my name...and to top it off we had company last night so after they left the calling started again.

What I said to myself to get past it
  • You don't need to eat that now, you can have it on the weekend.

You can't even make it for another green day, there ya go again.

You'll have to report a red to your friends.

Remember how good it feels to wake up feeling empty.

Remember how good you'll feel emotionally.
There was another part of me that said "It will never happen for you, so why bother, you are too old to lose weight." which I had to counter with "maybe I'll never be skinny but at least I'll feel good". I also told myself that I only have 20lbs to lose and even if I only lose 1lb a month, it is certainly better than gaining 20lbs.

Sorry for sharing these thoughts..I'm sure there were plenty more, I just don't recall. I was paying attention last night a bit more to my pep talk to fight it off and how that one negative thought ALWAYS causes me to fall.

I hope tonight is not such a battle..but I'll surely be ready, not just give.

A friend shared: James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 am

Deb...well done! You pushed through the thoughts that would sabotage you & succeeded. Good for you!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 am

Day 3, success...battle seemed a little less today

breakfast: bagel/PB&J
lunch: salad with 2 pieces of chicken sausage/apple
dinner: 3 chicken drumsticks, baked potato, green beans, fruit cocktail

exercise: 3 mile walk

Off to bed for me..so I don't have internal battles going on to eat something...

:)
Last edited by NoSnacker on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am

Deb...SUCCESS!!!! Yeah!!! You're doing great...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 am

You're doing so great! Way to go!! One step at a time.....if we just hang in there, before ya know it, this will be "normal behavior" and "binging" will be a thing of the past. Keep it up!

Have a great day! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 am

Good for you!! You are right about the self talk, you have to counter the negative thoughts with positive thoughts! I think its also good to write it down. When you expose darkness to the light, it disappears, or at least it has to run and hide. :idea: Glad you had a good day! We can do this!
Blessings,
Patty
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am

Day 4 - failure

breakfast: oatmeal/walnuts/cranraisans
lunch: tuna sand/tomato soup/apple
dinner: salmon/baked potato/spinach/watermelon

exercise: 30 minutes

binge: 2 nestle's drumstick ice cream cones, 2 slices cheese on a hamburger bun.

When I picked up dinner I bought a box of the ice cream and said I can have some on the weekend. My other thought was I know my husband loves them and I kept eating them up on him...

I put up a very very little fight to resist..I could have just went to bed..

Today is a new day, I figured if I post what I ate that I really shouldn't have for many reasons, it might embarrass me enough to stop next time.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:13 pm

I understand. There are some things that I just can't have in the house. Ice cream treats are one of them. I wait till the weekend is here to buy them. Otherwise your day was good!

You're right, today is a new day!
Blessings!
Patty
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:05 am

Friday 10/7 RED

Oh what the heck...I need to get on track here...3 green's this week and 2 red's...not so good..

Going to meet a friend I met on Spark People...we are both struggling right now so hopefully we can inspire each other to get out of the slump.

Thanks Patty..for your kinds words!

At 54 I'll get there sooner or later....

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 am

Well, 3 greens and 2 reds is better than 3 reds and 2 greens! It's a 60% success rate :D
Keep going - one day at a time...

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 am

idon'tknow wrote:Well, 3 greens and 2 reds is better than 3 reds and 2 greens! It's a 60% success rate :D
Keep going - one day at a time...
Absolutely!!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Idon'tknow and Determined...thank you, thank you..what more can words say...

Went with a friend for a 4 mile walk, not that it will rid me of all the calories I ate yesterday but it was nice to chat as she is struggling as well. So we inspired each other...

Breakfast: cinn/raisin bagel
Lunch:
Dinner:

Exercise: 4 mile walk
Cleaned car, a lot of panting going on by me :)

Today I will make a green day even if Saturday, I had two blowout days...well maybe not a green day as I plan on a small dessert after dinner..

deb

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:06 pm

A four-mile walk is wonderful! Hang in there...you're doing better than you think you are...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 am

determined wrote:A four-mile walk is wonderful! Hang in there...you're doing better than you think you are...

janie

Let me echo those sentiments. Like I told my sister in law once YEARS AGO when she said, Who would bother with a diet and only lose a pound a week?

I replied, Anybody who wanted to be 52 pounds lighter a year from now.

Tiny steps will get you the same place as giant ones, it just takes a little longer.

Hang in there.
Berry

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Saturday was a total bust...trying again today not to give in to wanting to just eat just because of some urges that have nothing to do with being hungry.

I dug out a blanket that I started to make for my granddaughter a few years ago and I'll set my mind on that instead of food...

Went for a 3 mile walk, normally I take Sunday's off, but felt a need to get out there..it was a great morning...

Breakfast: Oatmeal with walnuts/cranraisins
Lunch:
Dinner: chicken/veg stir-fry
Snack/Dessert: WW Key Lime pie

Exercise: 3 mile walk

Never give up...
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 pm

I see you were trying not to spend so much time on the boards and I understand. Okay if you don't respond. Just wanted you to know I'm rooting for you. I spent a week away and was hiking hard for 5 days but the scale went up. It also says my bodyfat went down, but it's said that before, only to go back up again quite fast, so I'm not feeling much sense of victory. If you read my thread by any chance, you'll know I'm not happy with my eating on my trip, though it wasn't really terrible and certainly can't be helped now. But hope springs eternal, and I think that is truly warranted and not just hollow.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 am

I hope all is well!!
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 am

Sending you good thoughts! Hang in there!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I liked the day you listed the thoughts you pursued that helped you stick to your plan. Hope you can use those and any other helpful ones to have a good green day today. In fact, I think it would be just about as useful to record those as part of your daily tracking as recording your food or success. I'm going to remember them if I need them today, too. I need them more for exercise, which I've already procrastinated on today.

I think you need to forgive yourself a little more, too. Shame does not necessarily cause people to stop doing a behavior they've gotten used to doing. In fact, it is part of the cycle and can reinforce the behavior. Even Reinhard, who sometimes does talk about using shame as a way to prevent ourselves from eating heaped plates all the time, doesn't advocate dwelling on it. Use it BEFORE you engage in the behavior. Once you slip, he says to mark it and move on.

Hope your husband is doing okay. I know the surgery didn't go as well as hoped. Maybe this is an underlying trigger? You know eating won't help the situation, but if it's been the go-to soother before, it will be pretty automatic and unconscious. Yet you can out-think and out-behave it, I just know it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Just want to send good thoughts your way.Wish I had some deep insightful thoughts but I don't. Just a :D .
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am

oolala53 wrote:Hope your husband is doing okay. I know the surgery didn't go as well as hoped. Maybe this is an underlying trigger? You know eating won't help the situation, but if it's been the go-to soother before, it will be pretty automatic and unconscious. Yet you can out-think and out-behave it, I just know it!
Thanks Oolala, ya, we are going to Boston in a couple weeks to see a surgeon that is well known..not sure what he can do for my husband as the surgery just did not hold..after 6 weeks all the mesh tore out. He is disabled basically and can't do anything so financially only my income..I'm sure a lot has to do with my eating.

I will surely keep on keepin on..this is the only sensible way to lose weight..I know..as I just can't go back to calorie counting or any other diet for that matter.

thankssss..

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 pm

You know, you really *are* doing well. You're aware of what you're eating. You're making a point of staying active.

And from what I can see, your "failures" aren't all that bad. Maybe you need to stop being so hard on yourself? Do the best you can. Celebrate the successes, and take note of the things you'd like to change.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Who Me? wrote:You know, you really *are* doing well. You're aware of what you're eating. You're making a point of staying active.

And from what I can see, your "failures" aren't all that bad. Maybe you need to stop being so hard on yourself? Do the best you can. Celebrate the successes, and take note of the things you'd like to change.
Thanks...it is funny how others see us, verses how terrible we can view ourselves...this has definitely motivated me to do well today...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Going for the greeeeennnn...., was good then turned reddddd..

breakfast - bagel/cottage cheese
lunch - can soup/watermelon
dinner - turkey chili/mixed mango w/blackberries

exercise - zippo

Hope to find my way tonight to no binging!

Oh ya, I had to go to the gastro today as my digestive track is really acting up again...and I can't believe it, I fessed up to him that I have been binge eating and if that could be causing my pains recently..and he said yes, when large amounts of food pass thru it causes pressure when you have IBS-C, so if I ate 6 small meals I would be better off for it. Well I can't eat 6 times a day, then that is 3 times more likely I might binge.

Anyhow, it felt good to tell him...

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Good morning!!!!
So what are you going to do today instead of eating and thinking of eating or thinking of not eating, or thinking of your weight.

Do you have any chores you have been putting off or have anything fun planned? Time to enjoy life.

have a great day!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm

snapdragon wrote:Good morning!!!!
So what are you going to do today instead of eating and thinking of eating or thinking of not eating, or thinking of your weight.

Do you have any chores you have been putting off or have anything fun planned? Time to enjoy life.

have a great day!!!!
mmmm,,,i work from 7:30-4:30, usually get home around 5:00..sit around for an hour checking out my posts or watching something i taped from tv. not sure about dinner yet, but my breakfast and lunch were good..wanted to keep on eating after lunch but was distracted by work so that was good.

i did buy the book that blithe mentioned on my binge post..will start to read that (have a kindle) in hopes i find even a tad bit of something to help me..

thankssss so much for stopping by..

going for the green so far!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Wednesday - GREEN or RED?

Breakfast- bagel/yogurt
Lunch- turkey chili/mango w/black raspberries
Dinner- 2 eggs/toast, 1 chicken sausage, 1/2 c. cottage cheese and watermelon

Binge - almonds, ice cream, chocolate, fake onion ring chips, :( maybe fessing up might help....

Exercise- 30 minutes elliptical.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 pm

It's OK, you can do this!!
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Hang in there g'friend....you can do it...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

yesterday was red, but i read a few posts and keep getting inspired.

today is friday and of course i have to face the battle of going to dinner with friends and having only one plate at the chinese buffet...

i told myself this morning even if my life is not really all that great right now and my husband is facing a lifelong medical issue that really has made him disabled and being the sole bread winner,,, might surely have something to do with me using food to comfort myself...but truly i can only make matters worse if i get sick from being overweight...

so what am i going to do during this time in my life...perhaps go to my creator for comfort and strength which i rarely do when it comes to my food issues..seems like there a bigger life problems than my food ones.

i need to ask myself do i want to succeed or fail? do i want to stand my ground after dinner and say no to the food....yes i do..so next step is make a plan on how to get there.

just a little venting on my part..

i'm thankful for my health and another day of life.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 am

Just checking in with my buddies! I'm still here and still struggling, but I AM HERE!!! Sorry you're struggling too. We are real people. Life happens. We CAN and WILL get there!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 pm

My partner is paralyzed and I'm the sole bread winner. I totally know what you mean by comfort food.

Maybe you need to be a little less hard in yourself? Maybe you should reframe the language you're using? What if you say "unplanned snacking" instead of "binging?". Now, I know NOTHING about binge eating, but it seems you're eating unplanned food, and then beating yourself up for it afterwards. Can you punish yourself less, so that there's less of an emotional roller coaster?

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I too am struggling with eating due to recent life events and I agree with Who me that you need to be kinder to yourself. By the way, as Reinhard says, he never said how many meals a day you should eat. He just said don't eat in between those meals. So 6 is OK if you and your doctor think that is best.
I haven't even tried for a green day for about a month now. I am trying to relax and figure out where I am and where I really want to go next. While I am doing that, I am not trying to force feed (pardon the pun) a diet on myself. And you know what? I am maintaining. I am not going crazy and eating everything in sight. I am leaving all options open for the first time in my adult life. I am deciding what will make me happiest, most relaxed and help me stop obsessing. If I decide to eat everything I want and grow twice the size I am now, I will accept that decision and the health consequences that go along with it. I have found out so far that I can trust myself not to make that decision. Yay!
If I decide to continue doing what I am currently doing and maintain and eat reasonably healthy while not exercising much or partying too much, so be it. I will move on to other aspects of living and enjoy myself.
And if I should decide to tackle habit and emotional eating and lose some weight, I will do that.
Long and short of it is, we can't make ourselves do something we don't really want to do. Where dieting is concerned, I have been mixing up should do and want to do all my life and it has led to about 50 years of unsuccessful dieting and beating myself up. During that time, I have managed to gain and lose many pounds with a gradual gain over the years. How much living time has that cost me? And what have I gained from it but a feeling of failure. Obviously, I didn't want to change my diet all those years or I would have. I have accomplished many other things. Just not that. End of story. So now the choice is truly mine. I will start doing it or I won't. Either way, I will be finally be who I truly am.
I think in this country we have made such an issue out of weight and food that no one any longer enjoys eating anything without guilt or asking ourselves if it is good or bad for us. We worry if we are eating it at the wrong time, the wrong place or on the wrong day. Does it agree with our blood type, our metabolism, our family health history? Good golly, miss molly, where does it end? It is just food!! It is meant to nurture and that is all. Our lives should be filled with so much more than food and yet we continue to obsess about it. Weird. I am sorry to be preaching on your post, NoSnacker but there are so many of us here who judge how worthy we are as human beings by what we stick in our mouths. You are not doing anything evil when you eat out of plan. You are just not into following it right now. That's all. Look for stuff you do well. Congratulate yourself and be as kind to yourself as you are to all of us. Love and prayers to you and yours.
I'm baaaack.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Regarding Who me's post, I also have wondered about the use of the term binge eating. True binge eating is pretty serious and involves gorging to the point of discomfort and sometimes involves purging. It is not just permasnacking...another term I have seen on this forum.

From what I have read, some people on the forum do have true eating disorders and some have received professional treatment. However, a lot of us just plain eat too much too often and need some structure to get it under control. I am not a binge eater, but I engaged in a lot of permasnacking in the evenings before No S. I grinned the first time I saw that word because it fit so well what I did. Other terms that fit are grazing, mindless eating, etc.

For the record, I also HATE the word OBESE. I know it is a clinical term, but the first time I saw it on a medical record of mine, I was mortified. I am no longer obese. I am just overweight, and that feels good.

Find a way to be successful. Make your goals attainable. Pat yourself on the back. Gloat over a success. Everyone here will support you.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 am

r.jean wrote:Regarding Who me's post, I also have wondered about the use of the term binge eating. True binge eating is pretty serious and involves gorging to the point of discomfort and sometimes involves purging. It is not just permasnacking...another term I have seen on this forum.

From what I have read, some people on the forum do have true eating disorders and some have received professional treatment. However, a lot of us just plain eat too much too often and need some structure to get it under control. I am not a binge eater, but I engaged in a lot of permasnacking in the evenings before No S. I grinned the first time I saw that word because it fit so well what I did. Other terms that fit are grazing, mindless eating, etc.

Find a way to be successful. Make your goals attainable. Pat yourself on the back. Gloat over a success. Everyone here will support you.
Well said, I agree!
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:48 am

Mmm a lot of good feedback here...

rjean..I guess I figured that if I ate when I was already full to the point of being uncomfortable that I couldn't eat anymore that was binge eating days, weeks, sometimes months at a crack? At one point in my life I did try to purge, but it hurt to darn much so that never happened..thankfully. I do believe I fall into this category which is much different than bulimia.

http://helpguide.org/mental/binge_eating_disorder.htm

And Pangelsue2 is right on here....America surely has a strange obsession with diets/weight, etc. I guess under all the stress in my life even No S feels like a diet "after dinner that is", strange I know..

WhoMe....nice to know someone understandssssss....such life struggles..it can only makes us stronger people for sure...

tobiasmom...glad you stopped by...i know i just want to be normal whatever that may be :)

One day at a time is all I can give right now...I need to come out of the pressure pot so to say...

thanks again everyone...

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22 am

Just to clarify No Snacker...I was commenting on the use of the term binge eating in general..not on your use of the word. For many, it is a valid term, but for others it is not. And I agree with Who Me that positive reframing of terms we use can be useful in some situations.
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:19 pm

I hope you have a great weekend!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Deb, I looked at that website. One of the recommendations is to get support. We're here for you. I can relate to the binge eating. I once had a deep depression that lasted 5 months, I turned to food for comfort and gained 50 lbs in 5 months. Keep doing one day at a time. Today is a new day, hope its a good one.
Blessings,
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 am

Hi rjean, who me, sweetness

Morning! Thanks for stopping by again...I certainly have a lot of reading to catch up on a couple self-help books..

I know surely when we label ourselves in such a negative light it will stick to us..so perhaps changing that up a bit will help me to stay positive.

Riding out the storm is the most difficult..but I have done it before and hope the storm passes sooonnnnn..

Hope everyone had a great weekend so far.

deb

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Deb,
Thanks for stopping by my thread too. GO FOR THE GREEN TODAY!!! :mrgreen:
Patty

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:58 am

How are you doing? I feel your pain in your struggle. I too have been struggling recently. In that book I talked about on my thread, (You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought), they suggest that rather than working halfway on 50 things in your life, you make a list of 10 that are the most important and that you want most to work on. That includes fun goals and challenges. Then, they suggest you put those 10 goals in order of importance, willingness to work on them and on your ability to accomplish or change them. If you can't change them or accomplish them right now, scratch them off the list and move on. Then shelve all but a couple of those goals. Leave them for another time. Again, let them go. Then you move forward on the couple you have chosen as doable, important and either fun or necessary. So many of us on these boards are over achievers. We want to accomplish too much. We attempt too much and therefore we can only do a so so job on any project. We get discouraged at our progress and think we have failed when in actuality we just are expecting way too much of ourselves. You are always here to support so many of us. That is terrific. You are a blessing. Be there for yourself too. I know it is a rough time for you. Maybe if you determined what you can change, what you want to change and what you have to let go, you would find progress toward a goal of your choosing easier. Best of luck and hang in there.
I'm baaaack.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am

Pangelsue...More wise words!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 am

I'm still struggling and don't want to sound like a broken record or discourage any newbies. We are all different for sure and have different struggles.

Pangelsue2 You are so right....I might check out that book..Right now I'm reading "The End of Overating" Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite". So I'm hoping to find something that will click!

Sweetness that you for always stopping by!

But I'll get back up..I know it..when I hope soon...

Thanks pals!

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

Deb....Just dropping by to bring you cyber hugs....

Janie
Winnie the Pooh

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Saw that you're reading The End of Overeating. he shows that so many processed foods are engineered to bypass the body's natural appestat to tell you to stop eating. It helped me a lot to see many foods this way and not assume I was incredibly weak. However, I also have found that except for sweets, I can include say, one, processed food- I'm talking like a biscuit or restaurant mashed potatoes-- in a meal of meat and veggies and be fine. Going slowly helps, too.

I know you are going to turn this around. Celebrate EVERY hour of not eating that you get through in a day for several days. Really! It's better for your spirit. If you can already go two hours, start there, and let yourself just be there for a few days. Then inch it up. I know this is going to work again.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi and thanks for stopping by my posts and leaving such a nice message. And no, you weren't complaining. You are, like me I think, a very realistic person. You can't pretend that all is well when it isn't. I have a sister who is just in denial about anything unpleasant in her life. When she has the right to be upset, she won't talk about it but she blames everyone around her for how she is feeling. That ain't me and I don't think it is you either. Right? I tend to blame myself if I am miserable. But as the book we discussed says: recognizing when something is negative is good, doing something about it is good. Adding negative fuel to the fire is unhealthy. So I am trying to change that.

Anyway, this will probably get long but you asked about the snacks I have added to my diet. (This actually turned out to be very long. Be careful what you ask for from a gabby gus like me. LOL) There is a lot of very real stress in my life right now. When I am stressed, I eat. There is stress in your life as well. I am just finding it impossible to stay vanilla No S and I will no longer take the rap for that. I backed off, admitted I was no longer doing No S until I knew what I wanted to do next and that I was willing to do it. Snacking and sugar are my worst things. I never had problems with seconds. I am a grazer. So I looked for healthy lifestyles on line that didn't involve eating lettuce all day long and fat free cheeses and discovered the Mediterranean diet. This is not a diet. It is a healthy eating style that fits in very well with No S. While reading about that, I discovered another site called MediterrAsian diet. Again, this is not a diet. It is just a healthy eating plan with lots of recipes etc. They recommend 2-3 small snacks a day and they are yummy foods I love. I already eat lots of Mediterranean food and I love, love, love Asian food. So I figured, win, win, win. I can stay with No S, eat the foods I love and at least temporarily work in the snacks until I feel more in control. Then I will decide what to do about snacking.

Now regarding what your doctor recommended for your 6 mini meals a day, here is a direct quote from Reinhard about that very subject:
The No S Diet has a little known loophole just for you. If you look closely at the site, you'll notice that nowhere does it specify the actual *number* of meals. Now most people will make a certain assumption, and most people had better stick with that assumption. But if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat more often, you can still do so and be a proud No S dieter. Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course. As for the rest of you, pretend you never read this. It's for people with doctor's notes only
So you are all set to have 2 snacks with your doctor's and Reinhard's blessing as long as your meals are smaller to compensate.

Regarding what I am doing for those snacks, please check out the website at www. Mediterrasian.com Lots of information and recipes although I use some of theirs and some of my own from many other eat healthy cookbooks I have already. When you are on the website, click on Health and Wellness and then click on 7 day plan. I am using the suggestions for snacks listed there. I am also making myself choose one sweet for each S day and one only. It will be yummy and eaten slowly and without guilt. I loosen up a bit on weekends now but I try not to be an idiot. I think a lot of binging is self loathing and that is why I am working on getting rid of failure mentality. I also obsessed about food all week long thinking about all the NO's. That is why I am trying a positive No S or as I am calling it :No need of S. My mental chatter was "don't think about sugar. Don't think about a snack. I are not really hungry. What is the matter with me that I can's stick with this easy plan. I am so weak. etc" Now I am shooting for thoughts like " I have no need of sugar in my life. I have no need of a snack right now. I will look for something else to do. I can be friends with food if I get past this obsession phase. Food is not the problem here. My thoughts about it are. I can change my thoughts. No S taught me that I can have whatever foods I want. I just have to know why I want more than I need. I can work on that. etc"

I also want to add one more thing. I also took off about a month from any dieting and promised myself I would not go crazy and eat everything in sight. I had been on diets for over 50 years and never successfully lost and kept off any weight. I took that month to decide if I was 1) happy being fat and would never diet again and would stop obsessing or 2) was happy maintaining and would put in enough effort to stay where I am and be happy with that. And stop obsessing. or 3) find a lifestyle I could live with that might or might not bring me weight loss. It would be healthy, doable, fit in with No S and make me stop obsessing and blaming myself for my weight problem. Notice a common thread here? Obsessing. Whatever I decide to stay with, it will bring an end to obsessing. There is so much more in life than food and diet but when I am obsessing, that is all I can think about. So I stayed away until I knew for sure that my weight is not my fault. No diet can make me lose weight magically unless I stick to it. It is my metabolism, heredity, emotional state and habit. I can't change the first 2 but I sure as heck can work on the last 2. I also finally know there is no perfect diet that fits all people. No S is the best I ever found but for me it was not perfect. So I am making it fit me better. And I am not feeling like a failure, or like I am weaseling out of the rules. We are grown ups here. We have a problem we are trying to solve. We should do whatever it takes to solve it but not feel guilt, failure, pressure or unhappy. Mark Twain once said "If your morals make dull, depend on it, they're wrong."

Anyway, NoSnacker. That is what I discovered for me so far. You will have your own journey. Please personalize it to fit your needs. Love yourself more. Blame yourself less. Let time pass to take you out of your current situation. In fact, it is probably good for your diet to work on your stresses right now rather than worrying about diet at all. To that end, I have another suggestion. About 7 months ago, my daughter's whole life fell apart. She was shaky even before that happened but after she lost her job, we really feared she might have to be hospitalized for her mental state. She didn't have enough money to seek therapy but she found Catholic Social Services (many other churches have their own version of this). They charged based on income. She pays only $10 a visit and it has been a life saver for her. She is a changed person and more in control of her life than she ever was before. So if things are really, really bad for you just now, maybe think about either counseling, talking to someone at your church or take a class is meditation or yoga. All of these could be of some help.

Anyway, sweetheart. Hang in there. You are doing the best you can. Trust that and believe in yourself.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Just read your thread to catch up, Pangelsue2 has a lot of good things to say. Deb, we're all pulling for you, you are such an encouragement that you keep trying in spite of difficulty. Keep trying! You will get there. Victory is just around the corner!

About wanting to throw in the towel. I just heard something the other day. The expression "throw in the towel" comes from boxing. Who throws in the towel? The manager does when his guy can't take any more. If Jesus is your manager, He never gives up on you. He never throws in the towel. He knows you are more than a conqueror through Him. He believes in you. He does say to come to Him if you are worn out and He will give you rest. Matthew 11:18-20. There's a way we can rest in Him and trust even when we're in the battle.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 am

Yesterday was not a green day or red day,

I'm calling my non-binge days yellow.

Had an upper GI test done yesterday so hopefully I'll hear something today.

Thanks for all your support..I'm still not giving up hope for me...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 am

oolala53 wrote:I know you are going to turn this around. Celebrate EVERY hour of not eating that you get through in a day for several days. Really! It's better for your spirit. If you can already go two hours, start there, and let yourself just be there for a few days. Then inch it up. I know this is going to work again.
Thanks Oolala, definitely taking this too heart...I think I'll call the days that I did not binge Yellow days, if I have a green day awesome, but for now I'll work on no bingeing.

The book is a little confusing at this moment all this fat on fat on sugar, etc.

But I think I understand totally about snacking on desserts, eating out, etc. Makes you not want to eat out :).

More to come I'm sure!

So really to beat this diet thing, eating as close to natural is the way to go...definitely keeping eating out to a bare minimal....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 am

Sweetness wrote:Just read your thread to catch up, Pangelsue2 has a lot of good things to say. Deb, we're all pulling for you, you are such an encouragement that you keep trying in spite of difficulty. Keep trying! You will get there. Victory is just around the corner!

About wanting to throw in the towel. I just heard something the other day. The expression "throw in the towel" comes from boxing. Who throws in the towel? The manager does when his guy can't take any more. If Jesus is your manager, He never gives up on you. He never throws in the towel. He knows you are more than a conqueror through Him. He believes in you. He does say to come to Him if you are worn out and He will give you rest. Matthew 11:18-20. There's a way we can rest in Him and trust even when we're in the battle.
Thankssss soo much Patty...Yes He certainly is and most certainly will not give up on me :)....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 am

Pangelsue2 wrote:Anyway, NoSnacker. That is what I discovered for me so far. You will have your own journey. Please personalize it to fit your needs. Love yourself more. Blame yourself less. Let time pass to take you out of your current situation. In fact, it is probably good for your diet to work on your stresses right now rather than worrying about diet at all.
Anyway, sweetheart. Hang in there. You are doing the best you can. Trust that and believe in yourself.
Thanks so much.....I'm taking heed to your suggestion here...ya know I have been to therapy for years and years, with different Doctors, they never really seemed to help with my eating..maybe more of my life situations..I think I might need to find myself on this one..

I think the key here, is trusting and loving myself enough to move towards sanity...

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:39 am

Baby steps sounds good. Hugs to you.
I'm baaaack.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 am

Yes, the book is You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought. It is rather old so maybe that is why it isn't available on Kindle. It is written for people with massive challenges in their lives, everything from addictions to life threatening illnesses. It talks about how these challenges can make us sick, morally, mentally and physically. It is funny, with a lot of insight and candor. Even though it makes it painfully clear what negative thinking can do to your life, it also makes it clear that we can't take life so seriously that the fun stops. I read here and there in it many years ago. Then when my daughter was having issues, I gave it to her. When I received my cancer diagnosis, she gave it back to me because she said I had more need of it right now than she did. My husband and I have been reading a chapter on every Saturday and Sunday morning. I love it. Hope you do too.
It sounds like you have been dealing with these issues for a long time too. I admire you for hanging in there when I am sure sometimes you feel tired and defeated. You are a champion. Do you know how many people would just give up? I also think you are on the right path to work on little pieces of this at a time. I too realized it was demoralizing to keep starting over and over on No S and "failing". Reality said I wasn't ready for vanilla No S so I had to decide what I could do. I think you are there too. I too have not had a perfect day even yet but I am accepting the fact that right now, I am doing more than I was a month ago. I will try to build on that or not. Either way, I will not hate myself for being whoever I turn out to be.
Courage, my dear.
I'm baaaack.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Deb...I love your decision to make no-binging days yellow instead of red. I think this is a great way to keep yourself positive & your eyes on your great progress.

Hang in there g'friend...

Psalm 57:2

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Sounds like you are loving yourself, that's good! Celebrate small victories. You could even make your first goal just no binging. And make it green. Just an idea. Did you read the post about the person who did no s gradually? Cant remember the order, but each of the rules added one at a time, a month or two on each. It was interesting and they succeeded. I'm going to look for it for you. 8)

Here it is! Hope it helps! This post is by burghermeister, and Reinhard posted the link to the thread on the No S Diet discussion.

Since I have a significant amount of weight to lose (100lbs) and since my eating was completely out of control, starting straight vanilla No S was a scary prospect. My mod is essentially the gradual integration of the forbidden "esses" one by one, for 21 days each, until total compliance.

The first habit I developed was no eating - none at all - after 8PM. This is sort of a time-limited No Snacking mod for 21 days. Next, I focused on eliminating all snacks throughout the day...I was still eating some seconds/sweets, but just at three discrete meal times. Again, 21 days.

Once I was practicing "no snacks" regularly, I moved on to adding "no sweets". This was relatively painless as I found I could wait for my S days for these sweet treats, but I did this 21 days until I moved on to....

"No Seconds"...by the time I was at this point, I had learned felt much more in control of my cravings, my eating in general. I was generally more mindful about a lot of things. So.... No Seconds has come pretty easily and I am just at 21 days of total No S!

I LOST 34 POUNDS since that first evening with no snacks!!!! Though I've only been doing COMPLETE NO S for 3 weeks, I have been modifying my behavior and developing good habits for just 12 weeks. I haven't tried much in terms of exercise, just walking for a bit after dinner, but that will be next.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 am

Friday - YELLOW

I did find out from my recent test that I also have a Hiatal Hernia and come to think of it I was told that many many years ago and totally forgot about it. So bingeing definitely can only aggravate the situation. With that said, regardless of what my mind wants my body has to take precedence over overeating. I had quite a bit of chest discomfort the next morning after overeating and it could surely be caused by acid back-up.

Yesterday was yellow day as far as No S rules, but for me was success, no binge. I did want to keep on eating mentally but had to tell myself I have been suffering physically a lot the last couple weeks...so I have to be nice to me, extra food is not being nice to me.

Snack: apple
Lunch: salad with chicken/egg
Snack: mango/mixed fruit
Snack: 7 saltines/Olivio
Dinner: 1/2 of shrimp/mixed veggies/rice (sauce on side) 1 egg roll
Snack: 1 serving chocolate

My body feels so much better. I'm going to journal what has happened recently to me physically and do research on things..so this way when I forget and start to go into mindless eating I can read my journal.

So it is the weekend and it is not a free for all anymore..can't do it.

Soooo hooray...no binge for me last night........
Hugs to me..:)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Hugs to you for sure. There was some really good thinking in your post. It is so good to hear you will be researching your health conditions and finding out how best to take care of yourself. Very positive and remember backsliding can be helpful too if you think through how it happened.
Have a great weekend.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:08 am

Good for you, take care of yourself!! :)
Patty

NoSnacker

Cat diagnosed with lung tumor....

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Sooooo on top of everything at the moment going on,,my cat of 7+ years who was 4 when a friend gave her to me...has been diagnosed with a lung tumor, we noticed since July she has been consistently losing weight and most recently not eating her food or treats. Took her to the vet, she was dehydrated and sicker than we thought. She was given some vet canned catfood and seems to be able to lick the stuff, but is not drinking water, that I'm aware of...

My husband will be devastated for sure when the time comes to put her down as they have grown very close and with him being pretty much house bound she is his constant companion, and it great with our two birds.

We are living the Job story right now...my husband is as I'm sitting here watching helplessly...

deb

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Praying for you and your hubby right now, and for the cat.
Patty

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 am

Hugs to you!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks Patty for the prayers!

Who Me, cyber hugs are great...thankssss..

This weekend wasn't too bad...Saturday was a little over the top but okay.
Sunday was much better...for no bingeing.

So much nicer seeing Yellow verses Red...my greens will be much deserved once I get there :).

So today we fly out to Boston to visit a specialist to see what he thinks of my husbands situation and will fly back tomorrow...we'll be meeting some friends there as well as they referred us because he did such a great job with her husband so far..

Looking forward to a one day get away :)

Everyone have a great week! I'm looking to have one as well...

deb

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Have a good trip! 8)
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 am

Sounds like you have made some real movement on the eating issues in the last few weeks. That is so great! Having real body problems that make you curtail your habits is no fun, but you will feel better all around by surrendering. Just reading this is also helping my resolve tonight, as I've failed yesterday and today. However, though I have to stay up and do grading, I am not going to go eat some yogurt as I was contemplating before reading your posts. I will make myself some hot chocolate, though.

Hugs for you and your husband.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23