NoSnacker Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

oolala53 wrote: (or add some, if you already have a program). You can't really plan to go for the long run and not have some consistent exercise in your life, so you might as well wait until you have the advantage of the kit and caboodle. Just MHO. I think the exercise and food components go so much hand-in-hand that it's hard to judge the value of one without the other, exceptions here on the board notwithstanding.
Hi there, unfortunately I exercise 6 days a week and take Sunday off. I either walk 3 miles or do my elliptical at least 30-45 minutes. I used to lift weights, but became lazy about it and have since stopped..maybe I can add that back in.

I think my food intake is higher than what I need, and not really willing to do more than what I'm doing as I always tell people..what ever you change your lifestyle to it has to be something you can live with when you are 70, 80 years old.

I finally had a green night and those hunger feelings have subsided just like last month..so I will be watching closely the calendar..if I feel this happening again, I may change me S days for a couple days...we'll see.

Thanks again for the info on exercise..truly appreciate it.

have a good one.
deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Naebird

Post by Naebird » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I like this idea of living in the glory of a new number for a while. I think it is nice to take the time to enjoy what you have accomplished before focusing on what still needs done.
SW - 220 (started July 21, 2011)
CW - 208.4
GW - 165ish

5'11, 35 year old, girly girl

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle

Naebird- Getting healthier everyday!!

gk

Post by gk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:01 am

Naebird wrote:I like this idea of living in the glory of a new number for a while. I think it is nice to take the time to enjoy what you have accomplished before focusing on what still needs done.
I agree completely!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:17 am

There is something wrong with me...man did I eat like a weight lifter yesterday and not stuff that was good for me...I feel it this morning..which of course means I won't overindulge today because I don't feel like it.

September 10 will be 3 months on No S and I don't see my S days calming down yet. I'm maintaining my weight due my N days for sure.

I guess I just want it to go away and know I'm the only one that can make that happen, but it is obvious, not bad enough..but I sure like to complain about them....but again, not enough to stop it...

Binging for so many years and continues on my S days... :(
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:07 am

There's nothing wrong with you! Behaviour like that doesn't just stop, think how many years you've been practicing the binging habit!

Maybe it's time to try out a mod or two for the weekends, or paying attention to what you buy and actually have in the house, if you are unhappy with what you are eating? I find if I buy a huge pack of kettle chips or a pack of 2 giant muffins, that's what I will eat. If I buy an individual portion of something sweet or a small packet of something to snack on, I'm quite satisfied with that. It's funny (well not THAT funny) how we keep on doing it even though we know we don't actually enjoy it, definitely not the day after anyway!!

*hugs* you'll get there, remember it's the N day habits that are most important right now, when you feel you have those down well, then you can really look at your S days.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:46 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Binging for so many years and continues on my S days... :(
Hang in there! I've read on numerous posts that it takes at least 6 months to really get into the swing of things with No S. You'll get there!

As for bingeing, I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. I started bingeing when I was about 14 or so, and here I am at 40 years old and I'm still doing it, no matter what I try. It's gonna take some time to work through this. I honestly think that No S is the most sane diet out there and I refuse to try anything else. A bad habit that has been with us for most of our lives will just take a long time to overcome.

It says alot that you are doing great during your N days. It shows that you have control and are containing your overeating to S days (which technically IS allowed those days, remember - no rules). You also haven't given up on the diet for three months. I see that as a HUGE accomplishment!!

Take a deep breath and remember that you are not alone in this! We are all here trying right along with you. You can do this. It will just take time. Just focus on what you HAVE accomplished, and the rest will come eventually. Chin up! :)

determined

Post by determined » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:38 pm

I agree! Try to think of it this way - you are NOT binging 5 days a week! For me, that alone is a great accomplishment!!! Even if your Sday are still difficult, you are making more progress than you know....hand in there!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

success

Post by Sweetness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm new here, but I think its great that this is working for a self confessed former binge eater, that you can be maintaining your weight and not gaining. You actually lost a few pounds and are maintaining, right? So if you keep this up, losing a few pounds and maintaining, eventually you will find your right weight and maintain.

I was just wondering if it would help you to focus on the "sometimes" in the rules of the no s diet, especially since you seem to be doing well on N days. "Sometimes" is not the same as bingeing. Perhaps if on S days, you allowed yourself one snack, one seconds and one sweet... just a thought. Maybe its having no rules that makes you go overboard.

cheering for you for more success!!

NoSnacker

Re: success

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:38 am

Sweetness wrote:"Sometimes" is not the same as bingeing. Perhaps if on S days, you allowed yourself one snack, one seconds and one sweet... just a thought. Maybe its having no rules that makes you go overboard. cheering for you for more success!!
Thanks...and I think you are right, I think I have no rules set in my mind and just feel free to binge.

I'm going to really focus on my N days and try not to obsess about my S days as one friend told me.

For me living in the sanity turning the week and insanity on the weekends don't go hand in hand that is for sure.

Thanks for the input and stopping by!

gk

Re: success

Post by gk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Sweetness wrote:"Sometimes" is not the same as bingeing. Perhaps if on S days, you allowed yourself one snack, one seconds and one sweet... just a thought.
You know that is exactly my END goal for S days....one of each S on each S Day. I agree that we should take it one step at a time (just focus on N Days) and let the rest of it be "whatever" right now.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I have no real help to the situation....but I'm with ya. I have the same S day issues. So I just wanted to stop by and say, "You're not alone." This is a process....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks everyone..

I like that, on the weekends allow myself 1 of each.....

Had a green day yesterday...I had to eat dinner early because I was starving..this time food hunger..

I guess the weekend binges is bringing this on as well. My stomach has to shrink all over again on Monday's. mmmm...

Heading for another green day.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Hey...let's make a pact to have a totally sane weekend this week. I will do the one of each S. Is that both days or one of each S over the two days? ha. Not trying to make rules or anything. Just wondering if it truly will help a bit in the area of crazy S days for us!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Re: hey

Post by Sweetness » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Hey...let's make a pact to have a totally sane weekend this week. I will do the one of each S. Is that both days or one of each S over the two days? ha. Not trying to make rules or anything. Just wondering if it truly will help a bit in the area of crazy S days for us!
I was thinking of both days: one each of S for each of the two days (max 6 esses total). I'm in for that, I'll pact with you. I had an unsatisfying S day Sunday, mostly because I didn't stick to my 3 normal size meals and ate something I would never normally eat for lunch (a burger and fries). I was miserable afterwards. My stomach hurt and I felt sluggish. Then later I just had to have my ice cream, which didn't help my stomach any. I was so glad to get back to an N day. So I'm all for sanity on the weekends. That "sometimes" is in the rules for good reason!!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Sweetness and tobiasmom

Okay girls let's do it this weekend...let's make it fun...both days..

1 snack, 1 dessert, 1 seconds..and let each other know what that was...

We can do this..

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Sweetness and tobiasmom

Okay girls let's do it this weekend...let's make it fun...both days..

1 snack, 1 dessert, 1 seconds..and let each other know what that was...

We can do this..
That sounds like a really good idea to try.

One idea for you, NoSnacker, I think changing one small (no matter how small) thing is enough to get in the habit, and then build from there. My dietican taught me that with exercise. Even a goal of 5 minutes a day is a starting point. So even if you just do one thing and make tiny bit of progress at a time for S days, its still progress!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 pm

herbsgirl wrote:That sounds like a really good idea to try.
I found a couple recipes for chocolate cupcakes that I plan on picking one and make this weekend...freeze what I can..desserts should be special so I'm sure these will be special.

I know what you mean about making something a habit..I have been exercising for years and love it now..there are mornings where I have to argue with myself but I end up going for it..

Do you plan on making anything special?

For the month of August I had 3 red's so that is not bad at all, and exercised 6 days a week (not Sunday's) and missed 2 days..now the tracking of the scale a lot of splashes of red..I'm hoping for a less red month in September.

Feel's like it should be the weekend already!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 am

NoSnacker wrote:[
Do you plan on making anything special?

!
I got a Taste of Home cookbook from the Library and I am already planning a wonderful icecream pie with peanut butter ect! Enjoy your chocolate cupcakes! Dont worry Im not planning on eating the whole thing, Im gonna have lots of help, hubby and 4 kids!

Exercise is so important, sounds like you really are in the habit more than I am! Exercise actually makes me get periods more regular, as I am 29 yrs. old and have PCOS, so it is medically important for me to exercise anyway, besides all the other good reasons, for weight loss and also mood boosting!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 am

[quote="herbsgirlI got a Taste of Home cookbook from the Library and I am already planning a wonderful ice cream pie with peanut butter ect!

Exercise is so important, [/quote]

You certainly have that right about exercise it is life saving really. I'm 54 and could swear I had that medical condition but of course I had to figure it out on my own..now I think I'm past that at least I believe so.

I so hope you totally enjoy your special treat and I'm sure your children willll...

My kids are all grown and have their own kids...so it is me an hubby..

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Herbsgirl...Im 51 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18. I had some really messed up glands when I was really young, but overall, I've been very healthy. It took me a long time to really understand the whole PCOS thing, but that was my own fault...I just didn't do enough research. Sorry....didn't mean to change the subject! LOL....

Determined
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 am

About making something special this weekend... I decided a long time ago it was best for me not to make desserts, its just too hard for me not to eat them all. Even if I put them in the freezer, they call my name. But I will probably go out for an ice cream some time on the weekend, and I love cookies, so maybe I will have a cookie or two.

I walked around the lake again today, that's a little over 3 miles. I should start tracking the exercise.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 am

Sweetness wrote:About making something special this weekend... I decided a long time ago it was best for me not to make desserts, its just too hard for me not to eat them all. Even if I put them in the freezer, they call my name. But I will probably go out for an ice cream some time on the weekend, and I love cookies, so maybe I will have a cookie or two.

I walked around the lake again today, that's a little over 3 miles. I should start tracking the exercise.
Thats funny my husband just told me we are going to the drive-in this weekend for icecream too! I agree, if its not a huge pie plate or dessert pan full, its not there to tempt you later!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 am

NoSnacker did well last night :)

Went to bingo and had pizza there for dinner..came home and had a glass of OJ and off to bed..

Off for 4 days now and getting ready to head out for a walk.

almost tempted to get on the scale..

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 am

Looks like your doing good! glad for your success!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:47 am

You're doing great NoSnacker!!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 am

Had a green week, and a good start for September not weighing in...feels the urge is very strong first thing in the morning..but I talk reality to myself and the urge passes.

Friday

breakfast; scottish oatmeal with peanut butter
lunch; bagel and fruit salad
dinner; green beans, potatoes and filet mignon...I try not to eat red meat..but this was super good..

Saturday, facing a birthday party and Sunday a wedding...food food everywhere...normally I binge on weekends but plan on trying to have
1 snack, 1 dessert, and 1 seconds both Saturday and Sunday to see if that helps me NOT to binge.

Off to the weekend I go...

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:01 pm

you are doing great, we can do this one of each s...
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:00 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Had a green week, and a good start for September not weighing in...feels the urge is very strong first thing in the morning..but I talk reality to myself and the urge passes.

Yep you can do it! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:03 am

Yesterday one of the events I have going on this weekend "a birthday party"...I did not do so well...but that is okay, it was an S day anyway...I'm doing so well during the week that I'm sure my weekends will catch up...

Today we have a wedding to go to..so I think this will be more manageable...

Went to sleep at like 7:30 p.m. last night and got up at 5:30 a.m. must have really needed it...or it could be all the food just made me sleepy...

One problem with yesterday is there was no food until 4:00, we were there at 1:00 and ate snacks...at dinner time of course I was not hungry at all, but ate anyway. I hate when I do that..that was head hunger not tummy hunger for sure.

I do feel all my hard work during the week get's blown out of the water by these weekend episodes.

And if you don't have a binge problem or never did..then you would not understand this kind of eating at all...I have done this at parties for years and years...glad there aren't many.. :)

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 pm

NoSnacker....Just wanted to drop in and remind you how well you're doing. I absolutely understand the strength of binging...it's indescribable to those who've never experienced it. Remember that you are breaking something very strong...and you might not believe it, but it's clear that you are winning. You might be struggling on 2 days a week, but you are NOT binging on 5 a week. You ARE doing the work to be free of this and you ARE winning. Hang in there...you are much more than this. You are a thoughtful, encouraging person & you WILL win this battle...I'm convinced of it.

Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I hate it when I know I am full and will feel terrible but I just don't stop eating. It happens more so when I eat out now than at home, especially when I eat at a really 'nice' restaurant. I don't eat out often (maybe 1-2 times per month) and it's usually a treat but I get this mindset that is partially 'head hunger' as you put it - I'll eat because I'm there and there's food. I also get this feeling that if the food is really good, I should eat it because I don't get the opportunity often. Which leads to me eating 3 courses of fairly large platefuls when at home one plate would do me!

Just remember that these times are limited, and the longer you do NoS the more limited they will be, so your good work on N days is not going to be entirely undone by your S days :) Keep at it!

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:34 pm

I understand NoSnacker! I understand!
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I think its important to' remind myself its not a destination but a process with no start or end, when I fall into traps lime you described I often say screw it ill start tomorrow and go gangbusters. Jeep putting one foto in fro t of the other.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 pm

My typing. Is spazy becuase of my iPad not becuase im illiterate. It keeps editing my typing and i forget to' check sometimes.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:42 am

snapdragon wrote:My typing. Is spazy becuase of my iPad not becuase im illiterate. It keeps editing my typing and i forget to' check sometimes.
First thanks for the encouragement...I'm beginning to hate parties!

I hear ya and totally understand and actually made sense of what you said :)

for me I'll type something than go to re-read it (next day) and see strange things like I went to type what and see that, the older I get the more this happens..I'll say how did I type that word???

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:58 am

Wedding yesterday was fine until the cupcakes..which lead to other desserts...thankfully no more parties for a while..just don't get it..I guess I need to learn some self-discipline!

So glad it is Monday...

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:53 pm

I absolutely love parties now, but I understand the I hate parties feeling. It took me awhile to get to this point, but now I make special activities part of my eating schedule for the day and I enjoy the good food that I did not have to prepare! Today I did a 5k with a free breakfast afterwards...ate at about 930. Then we are invited to a BBQ at 3, and I will be good and hungry by then. Because of the odd times, I had a banana at 6 am and will have something light in the evening. The early morning banana is technically a snack, but I am calling it a green day anyway if I make it through with only that planned deviance. I needed something to eat pre-run. Since it is a holiday, I may end up with an S day if there is an irresistible dessert at the BBQ. :mrgreen:

So..after you have been at it a little longer, I am sure you will become more comfortable with the various challenges. I am finding that each season has unique challenges, and I feel like I need to get at least a year of No S under my belt in order to have completed a cycle of forming new habits.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 am

Yesterday I was more hungry than usually and I'm sure it was from the weekend...but I made it thru.

Back to work after being off for 4 days..that was nice...I like structure that is for sure.. mmmm if I like structure than why not on the weekends...oh well, someday it will happen.

Off to start my workout and the off to work!

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 am

Have a great work week NoSnacker.
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 am

Hey, Buddy. Have a great week! Just wanted you to know that I did do one of each S on both S days! I just kind of blew it Monday and today, though.....

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:28 am

Stopping in to say have a great Week! :D :D Motivation gets us started Habit keeps us going!

I think I need this article about the scales, but maybe you'll find it interesting anyway!

http://www.anytimehealth.com/blog/11546 ... e-rule-you
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Re: hey

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 pm

No Snacker, I think if you beat yourself up about things that's the worse thing about S days for you. You are doing well and succeeding!
tobiasmom wrote:Hey, Buddy. Have a great week! Just wanted you to know that I did do one of each S on both S days! I just kind of blew it Monday and today, though.....
Good for you, tobiasmom, I did too, Sat and Sun, one each of S because we had pacted to do this.... Then I made Monday an S day as well, because there was a picnic, but had more than one of each S. I listened to Reinhard's pod cast on S days gone wild, and I think I will take his advice and not try to modify the rules for a while since I'm new. I think for me I'm liking the sanity of the week too much to mess it up a lot on S days. My plan though is to try to make sure I have three good meals planned, just like during the week, and sometimes one of the meals will be at a party. Then beyond that I will allow myself esses as well.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 am

It seems the more I get into the weekday mode the easier it gets. After having crazy weekends it can seem harder at times to get back on Monday..

I'm also going to start limiting my time on No S, I did get off of spark people already. I spend way too much time on here and in the beginning it was good to be on here..I definitely needed the encouragement to keep on keepin on since my S days aren't so good..but I know they will get better.

I'll check in daily and keep my habitcal..and check in with some of my new found friends...other than that, I have my book and a life to live....

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Totally understand, I hardly do Spark anymore because it sucked so much time every time I logged on, it really got unmanageable! I used to go on the living binge free team mostly....perhaps we have met before :wink:
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. Gotta spend less time on the Internet. Tobias tells me, "Mom, close the computer." Poor guy....

So as long as you still come check in here and let us know how you're doing and you still come "see" me sometimes..........ha!

You're doing awesome!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 am

Today was a good day and green!

Breakfast - cheerios/banana
Lunch - egg salad sandwich/soup
Dinner - Turkey meatloaf/couscous/brocolli/strawberries

Walked 3 miles.

Tracked on my tracker..

Stopped by some friends posts!

I going for the green!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 am

Whoo Hoo!! I walked three miles too! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 am

Way to go!!
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 pm

NoSnacker...Three miles is terrific!!!

Have a great day!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:39 pm

NoSnacker...Just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I've appreciated your encouragement. You seem to have a positive word for everyone & I wanted you to know how many times you've brought a smile to my face. I enjoy reading your posts & am so very grateful for the support.

We're in this to win this!!!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:31 am

determined wrote:NoSnacker...Just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I've appreciated your encouragement. You seem to have a positive word for everyone & I wanted you to know how many times you've brought a smile to my face. I enjoy reading your posts & am so very grateful for the support.

We're in this to win this!!!

Hugs...janie
Dittos to that from me too!!
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 am

Yes, yes and yes...my week was green..and I checked and last week was green as well.

9 days and no scale...let me tell you I think it is like talking myself out of eating something that I want really bad...but nope I want to see for myself if I can actually go a whole month without weighing in...

Now today is Saturday, going for a walk with a couple spark people friends that live near by..it was nice to hook up with area people. We'll go to breakfast..then later I have a baby shower....grrr another party.....I always overeat..but maybe I need to change that mindset and think,,,nope I'm not going to.

I did buy a special dessert for the weekned, so maybe if I can convince myself that I will have that later if I don't overdo at the party..mmmm might be enough incentive.

3 months in and I'm loving it...I know on other plans if I stuck to it I would be down 10lbs..but I can't stick to them, so this is my only chance to succeed long-term.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:59 pm

NoSnacker wrote: 9 days and no scale...let me tell you I think it is like talking myself out of eating something that I want really bad...but nope I want to see for myself if I can .

3 months in and I'm loving it...I know on other plans if I stuck to it I would be down 10lbs..but I can't stick to them, so this is my only chance to succeed long-term.

Kudos for hanging in there not weighing!

I agree, I couldnt stick with the other plans long term, so this our chance to succeed!!!!!! Even if it takes years to get there, it is at least maintenence, because status quo was gaining wieght, for me, at least. If I wasnt losing wieght, alot of times I was gaining!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Okay, ladies, looking good for the long-term here! I'm reinspired by looking at you all and by glancing at parts of the (curses! No! a diet book? yes!) Cinch! by Cynthia Sass. I can't remember what prompted me to take a look but she recommends 3 meals and a snack, and her recommendations for meals are very close to what I had worked out for myself between The Omega Diet, The Zone, 40-30-30, Volumetrics and WW. She's too rigid for many beginners on the road of no dieting forever, but I gotta say, her meals sound tasty. I say fie on her snack idea; it does provide good nutrition but you can sneak the best stuff-- the phytonutrients of veggies and fruit-- into other meals. And I have my trusty mocha between meals for safety. She also recommends hunger! I haven't read her chapter (one chapter!) on ending emotional eating. And her book is a 30-day plan. How does she suggest you live with real choice for the rest of your life? Of course, I haven't read it all. But I will always be true to our true love Reinhard, who does it all without resorting to nutrient science or metabolism or any other time wasters.(I chastise myself here.) Bascially, eat three meals a day with a few exceptions forever! Exercise 5 days a week! That's it! Now go out and help librarialize the human genome, have a mate and children, read good cookbooks and biographies, and get a little spiritual jazz from the non-heathen traditions. Share with others!

Sorry to hijack your thread but many of my favorite people are here.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 am

oolala53 wrote:Okay, ladies, looking good for the long-term here! I'm reinspired by looking at you all and by glancing at parts of the (curses! No! a diet book? yes!) Cinch! by Cynthia Sass.
Thanks but I'm just so done with reading diet books..maybe if this doesn't work for me, which I have to believe it will..I might visit this book.

I did the hunger books, as well..and it just causes soooo much stress, am I hungry, how hungry am I, okay did I eat enough,,on what scale am I full..and as far as snacks..I can't...only leads to binges for me..which I'm finding out with my S days...

Working on the emotional stuff as food surely doesn't help with that but for a second.

Another party today and not happy about it....I know I'm the only one that can stop the craziness, and I will...when my mind allows it...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 pm

"But I will always be true to our true love Reinhard, who does it all without resorting to nutrient science or metabolism or any other time wasters.(I chastise myself here.) Bascially, eat three meals a day with a few exSeptions forever!"

This is all I should have written. I'm on your side and don't mean to divert at all.

Hope things go well enough at the party.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh, and this. " Bascially, eat three meals a day with a few exceptions forever!" (The quote feature doesn't work on my computer, or at least I can't get it to work today.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 am

yes the start of the week...and no parties planned all weekend...

i feel like i'm living a double life, monday-friday the person in control naturally and then the weekends...it is like i'm a different person...

k, 3 months in and the weekends are killing me...

enough complaining...i'm the only one that brings on such agony for unknown reasons right now...

but i always have hope!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I am certainly not an expert since I am really struggling with snacking (healthy but often). Something that worked for me on getting weekends under control was inviting the snack or treat to a conference. Get the ice cream, chips, cake whatever but before you eat it, stare it down for a while. Think about how this item or items have ruined what you want for yourself, your body or your health. Look at the treat and recognize the power you are giving that inanimate object over your happiness and well being. If you still really, really want it, commit to coming up with a reason you still want it and try to justify it to yourself. I am not suggesting you not eat the item but have a reason in mind why you are going to eat it. It can't just be "I want it because I want it." It has to be a concrete reason that makes sense to you and makes it OK to give up on your goals. Like, "I want to let loose and feel free for a while." or "I have been obeying rules all week and I don't want to obey the rules right now." or I had a cruddy day and I want something in it to be good." When I started doing this, it seemed stupid because most of the time, I had the treat anyway. But it must have started some sort of process in my brain because eventually, when I kept coming up with the same lame excuses for having it in spite of how badly I wanted to lose weight and change my life, I started slowing the weekends down. I haven't had a really wild and crazy one since. Now I have 1 or 2 small treats and no longer have Monday morning remorse. Those talks with the treats took their power away and made me realize how much I really wanted my dream.

I have tried this method on my problem snacking but so far have had no success. I think I may have to take your route and never snack because I can't control it.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:12 pm

NoSnacker wrote:yes the start of the week...and no parties planned all weekend...

i feel like i'm living a double life, monday-friday the person in control naturally and then the weekends...it is like i'm a different person...

k, 3 months in and the weekends are killing me...

enough complaining...i'm the only one that brings on such agony for unknown reasons right now...

but i always have hope!
By "I'm the only one" do you mean you think that no one else is going through what you do on the weekends? If so, that certainly cant be true! I listened to the podcast on no S days gone wild, and I know there are more. Maybe you should start a special thread for S days gone wild....
And I want you to know I'm pulling for you...
It will get better! :wink:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Just a passage to encourage you: Titus 2:11-14. What I love about this passage is that it is God's GRACE that teaches/trains us to renounce ungodliness and live uprightly before Him! It's not more effort, more striving, more working. It's more grace! It is knowing His immense love for us that brings about true change in our lives. I pray His grace would be at the center of your meditation today and that it would teach you.
Not even married. But I have a Husband who rejoices over me. Isaiah 62:5

Colossians 2:20-3:4 is why I don't diet. Want my HEART to change. Doing NoS to learn discipline by His grace. Grace motivated effort. Not TO BE loved. But BECAUSE I'm loved.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Just remember this is a process. I hope the best for you
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:43 pm

No Snacker,
I'm glad you posted what you are eating on the S days. I think you are doing great!! If this were mine, I would be fine with it. You need to stop beating yourself up. Keep reading that verse you have posted! I repeat, YOU ARE DOING GREAT!! Thanks for being my No S cheerleader.

Love you,
Patty
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi NoSnacker! Just wanted to say KUDOS to you for not weighing the past 9 days!! Wow, that is amazing, well done!!

I am thinking on following suit myself since I weighed this morning after TWO S Days and was disappointed by the 'inevitable' weight gain! Now, I realize i am just being irrational since it is only natural after a few days of letting loose (even if it were 'just' a decadent dessert in the evening...plus a few nibbles here n there!) that one should expect a gain. It will only be a temporary one (fingers crossed!) but all this toing and froing with the scales is making me antsy and preoccupied with weight again. Not going to make any sort of declaration but I will, when the time is right, give the no weighing another try again. Even though I want to be 160 lbs by Christmas! LOL!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:50 am

Morning NoSnacker!

My solution to the scales situation is never to weigh myself. I know that doesn't work for some people, but I had such an obsession about the numbers that I would get excited & then depressed about every pound lost or gained. I know I'm not over that so I haven't looked at the scale in years. My dr. knows my weight, but I try not to care. I'm doing what I need to do....and I'm trying to get healthier, but the numbers are my enemy.

I think you're doing great....you're making more progress than you think you are. Remember...you are learning maintenance now & that is a life-long skill! Just think about how you were eating a year ago & you'll see how far you've gone.

Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Hello friend!

Hang in there with the S days thing. My solution for myself is to tighten the buckle on the N days before I put restricitons on S days, and also exercise more, or more strenously. I recently have been studying that if we put weights on while we walk. (walkvest) it revs up the metabolism and you burn more calories with walking.

The free S days is what makes this system work so well for me! Instead of holding out and being strict, then giving everything up, like I used to do!

I read someone on here said it took them a year to settle down their S days.

Have a wonderful day!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi NoSnacker,

Some random thoughts on dealing with the scale... first, it's ONE measurement, and not always accurate. Partly because it's a "lagging indicator," partly because it's influenced by so many other things (water retention, time of day, etc.)

One thing that helps is to find other metrics. Some ideas:
- Days on habit (well, obviously, right?)
- Measurements. This is a really good one. When I was losing, I would hit "plateaus" where my weight didn't change a bit, but my measurements would during that time. It was like my body was deciding it really was this new weight, and was adjusting its size accordingly. If I'd only looked at the scale, I'd have been depressed. As it was, recognizing the pattern let me see how much I was succeeding.
- Alternate behaviors. Track the times when you found things to do other than eat. Times when you comforted yourself differently, or celebrated differently, or handled stress/boredom/tiredness/task-resistance differently. (These usually evolve in a positive direction when one stops self-medicating with food.)

Good luck! I hope when you do step on the scale, that you will be ready to accept what it says without over-reaction in any direction.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:03 am

KCCC wrote: One thing that helps is to find other metrics. Some ideas:
- Days on habit (well, obviously, right?)
- Measurements. This is a really good one. When I was losing, I would hit "plateaus" where my weight didn't change a bit, but my measurements would during that time. It was like my body was deciding it really was this new weight, and was adjusting its size accordingly. If I'd only looked at the scale, I'd have been depressed. As it was, recognizing the pattern let me see how much I was succeeding.
- Alternate behaviors. Track the times when you found things to do other than eat. Times when you comforted yourself differently, or celebrated differently, or handled stress/boredom/tiredness/task-resistance differently. (These usually evolve in a positive direction when one stops self-medicating with food.)

Good luck! I hope when you do step on the scale, that you will be ready to accept what it says without over-reaction in any direction.
I like the measurements..but it is so funny because I never get the tape measure in the same spot "so I think in my head"..but worth a try again.

I also like the alternate behavior tracking...I think I'll pull out my notebook.

Thanks for the sound advice!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:07 am

herbsgirl wrote: The free S days is what makes this system work so well for me! Instead of holding out and being strict, then giving everything up, like I used to do!
I couldn't agree with you more!!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:13 am

Yesterday was a good day food wise, I think I ate a little bigger portions but overall everything I ate was great!

Breakfast: Bagel with PB&J
Lunch: Sauerkraut, Turkey Sausage, mashed potatoes, piece bread, apple
Dinner: Broccoli with egg noodles (olive oil), apple

Exercise: 30 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes upper body weights

Getting ready to go for a walk once it get's a tad bit lighter out.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:55 am

Just popping in to say "Good Morning" & I hope you have a lovely green day!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello! Have a wonderful Green Habit day!

:D :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Hope you do well today!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 am

Stopping by to say hi and to cheer you on :D

I weigh morning and night, don't measure for the same reason, I am never sure exactly where to put it. :shock: I do watch my clothes carefully and that is my best gauge - can I comfortably tuck a blouse into a pair of dress slacks that zip and button - no elastic? If not, watch it. :roll:
Berry

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am

I'm thankful for green days!

Yesterday we stopped at a store on our way home from a study and my hubby asked if I wanted any cheese popcorn...I said nope it's the weekday..and it felt so freeing to say that. He readily accepts my weekdays and he loves when he can buy me something on the weekends.

He never saw me binge as I would get up and go in the kitchen or when he was on the computer I would bring the stuff in the living room..sneak eating..I told him that I binge when I snack..so I can't during the week..and that my weekends over time will get better.

I'm grateful I didn't let the red days over the past couple months tear me down and make me quit.

This is also day 15 and no scale...but I feel so fat...yuk...

I only have 15 more to go....if I can make a month challenge to myself I will be very happy.

deb

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:05 am

You conquered the cheese popcorn!!!!! Good for you!!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:07 pm

NoSnacker wrote:I'm thankful for green days!

He never saw me binge as I would get up and go in the kitchen or when he was on the computer I would bring the stuff in the living room..sneak eating..I told him that I binge when I snack..so I can't during the week..and that my weekends over time will get better.

I'm grateful I didn't let the red days over the past couple months tear me down and make me quit.

This is also day 15 and no scale...but I feel so fat...yuk...

I only have 15 more to go....if I can make a month challenge to myself I will be very happy.

deb
you sound like me! I would sneak treats in and binge, and I usually didnt binge in front of my DH!

15 more days for no scale you can do this!!!!!!!!

Have a great day!

~ Amanda
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:00 pm

No Snacker I wanted to stop in and say I am enjoying your check in. Love your scriptures you post too. :wink:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 am

Went to dinner yesterday with a couple I didn't know personally but my husband had crossed their paths...instantly we connected. They have been thru some rough times, her hubby has lung cancer and mine just had major surgery that didn't work as well as planned..so everyone had a lot in common, as well as our faith..instant botherhood/sisterhood. God is great in how He plans such events....they also blessed us unexpectedly as they had been blessed which blew us away...again God meeting one's needs.

This morning...I got on the scale :lol:...stayed the same. Also having been a red day yesterday I know I shouldn't have gotten on the scale..I should know better...

But that is okay...I will survive the red...I could of course take it as a special event, but nah, that would be messing with my No S vanilla.

Today is Friday and I forgot we have a 65th B-Day to attend...boy oh boy will I ever get a break :).

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Have fun on your b-day event! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:12 am

NoSnacker wrote:
This morning...I got on the scale :lol:...stayed the same. Also having been a red day yesterday I know I shouldn't have gotten on the scale..I should know better...

But that is okay...I will survive the red...I could of course take it as a special event, but nah, that would be messing with my No S vanilla.

Today is Friday and I forgot we have a 65th B-Day to attend...boy oh boy will I ever get a break :).
I got on the scale today and it went up! I'm waiting to weigh tomorrow before I believe it. But I had an extra S day and a red this week, so maybe its true. :oops:

How was your Bday party?
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am

Ahhh, the weekend is here...and my hearts desire is to live it moderately without excess.

My small weekend goal is to have 3 squares, 1 homemade dessert, and perhaps a snack in the evening...

We bought a NuWave Infrarer countertop oven...we so far love it...chicken which I always seem to dry out so far has not been dry with this new toy of ours..

Never made it to the bday party yesterday..I just couldn't bring myself to leave the house once I got home...plus I'm just partied out.

My grandson's football game is today so I'm looking forward to that...and tomorrow a little road trip to visit a Pastor friend..so hopefully not too much food around calling out my name...

Have a great weekend everyone..

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:52 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Ahhh, the weekend is here...and my hearts desire is to live it moderately without excess.

My small weekend goal is to have 3 squares, 1 homemade dessert, and perhaps a snack in the evening...

This sounds like a great goal!!! Let us know how it goes. 8)
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am

Weekend was a bomb, except Saturday was pretty good.

Sunday forget it...

But Monday is here and I feel the sanity :).
Last edited by NoSnacker on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Food wise I think I did pretty well...I do consider this a mini binge as I really didn't need the ice cream or additional cake at all.

You are doing just GREAT. 8)
3-0-7 girl

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 am

FANTASTIC JOB, NoSnacker!!!!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 am

I just wanted to post a good bye for now, I'll be checking back in on January 10 my 6 month mark.

I'm not giving up No S..just not jumping on the posts for awhile. I do plan on using my HabitCal and continue to work on taming my S days down without impacting my N days that are pretty much a habit now.

I wish all well and continued success in building your habits.

Deb

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 am

Deb....

Whatever works for you is the very best choice. I hope the next few months are wonderful for you...

Cyber hugs....janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Good luck!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 pm

ALL THE VERY BEST, DEB!!

MISSING YOU ALREADY :((

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:11 am

Deb,
We will all miss you. I know what you mean about it taking up time. Have a great season, and go for the green. Many blessings,
Patty
Patty

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 am

I wish you the best. One thing to consider is that though you might not need to get support but your support and ups and downs might help others. One other thing....the support you give others might be what's helping you. just a thought.....I know this sucks time out of the day. I think I need a habit cal for Internet time!
Not trying to sound preachy but give you some food for thought.
hugs!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:20 pm

MMM, I found not being on here I end up binging..this was not a good week for me...so off to a new start.

Perhaps I feel accountable in a way being on here.

:(

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:08 pm

I totally understand the accountability thing. I too am not ready to solo. As they say on Biggest Loser, I am not ready to leave the ranch and go home to do it on my own. Best of luck. Hopefully we can inspire you as you inspire us.
I'm baaaack.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm

NoSnacker wrote:MMM, I found not being on here I end up binging..this was not a good week for me...so off to a new start.

Yes, I notice a BIG difference in my eating when I'm not checking in. I usually approach my eating differently when I know that I will have to report in at the end of the day (excluding this past week, of course - YIKES!). Plus, the support here is amazing, so that's a big plus. :D Good luck on your new start! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 pm

I am definitely with everyone else that this forum helps me stay focused. Some days I scan quickly and other days I read and post a lot. However, I am checking in almost every day unless I am out of town.

Welcome back!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm

NoSnacker wrote:MMM, I found not being on here I end up binging..this was not a good week for me...so off to a new start.

Hey Ladybug: We can do this. This works, I know it does, it worked for me for years before it had a name and a whole community of folks to share and cheer each other on.

:D
3-0-7 girl

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:21 am

Deb, Welcome back!
Patty 8)
Patty

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:17 am

GLAD YOU'RE STILL 'HERE'!! WELCOME!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

NoSnacker

9/26/11

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:38 am

So after a week of binging and a weekend to top it off, my goal is to make today a green day. I feel so much better when I don't binge..spiritually, emotionally and physically. Well maybe not emotionally or I wouldn't be binging.

Monday's food plan
breakfast: yogurt/banana
lunch: salad/grapes
dinner: salmon/sweet potato/watermelon

exercise: elliptical 30 minutes

Thanks for all the warm welcomes...I'll stop by to say hi after work...

Have a great Monday!