I was feeling insecure about not being on the "cloud...

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

I was feeling insecure about not being on the "cloud...

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:16 pm

But then I read my current vps hosting provider's take on it:

http://rimuhosting.com/vps-servers
BUSTING THE BUZZWORDS: CLOUD COMPUTING; UTILITY COMPUTING; GRID COMPUTING

There are a lot of buzzwords out there. 'Cloud' and 'Utility' computing are hot topics in the blogsphere. We think these marketing terms are something to do with lots of servers somehow hosting a site or a service and curiously immune to anything short of a cataclysmic asteroid collision.

We may be a little uncertain about what these terms actually mean. But we are in fine company. Richard Stallman says "It's stupidity. It's worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign.". Or Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO) who says "The interesting thing about cloud computing is that we've redefined cloud computing to include everything that we already do. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have no idea what anyone is talking about. What is it? It's complete gibberish. It's insane. [Oracle] will make cloud computing announcements. I'm not going to fight this thing. But I don't understand what we would do differently in the light of cloud."

At RimuHosting we like to call a spade a spade. So without the marketing-speak: we provide Xen-based VPSs. You can set up new servers in real time. You can add memory, disk and bandwidth on demand. So you can have servers of the right size, when you need them.
Now I can roll my eyes whenever people talk about the cloud and feel even more superior than I would being on it (whatever that means). Plus (even better!) I don't have to do anything.

Reinhard

P.S. Rimuhosting isn't just a source of witty FAQs -- they're also an awesome hosting provider. Uptime is fantastic, you get total control, and when you screw something up with that total control, real, smart human beings will quickly and courteously bail you out.