HabitCal version 2

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

HabitCal version 2

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:02 pm

I just rolled out an improved version of the habitcal. It doesn't have all the features people have requested, but it has enough that I figured it was worth releasing now. Have to save something for version 3, after all.

At first, you may not notice much of a difference. All the old urls still work pretty much as they used to, and show you the same calendar view that's been around since May 2007. But I've added 3 new views in addition to the traditional calendar mode. You can choose the view from the drop down list right next to the "load" button (the default is "calendar").

The new views (with links to my habitcal) are:

Table View

This is similar to the calendar view, but more compact. It makes it easier to view and edit many tags at once. Calendar view gets cumbersome if you're dealing with more than say 5 habits at once. Table view makes it easy to get a handle on 10, 20 or more (note: it may not actually be a good idea to tackle this many habits at once, so be careful and don't go nuts just because the technology makes it easy). In edit mode, you can use the "batch input" arrows to color in all the blank sqaures in a row or column.

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... &t=blimits

Stats

This gives you a statistical overview of your compliance over the selected period of time, the percentage of which you marked as success, exempt, or failure. "Special" (non-weekend or NWS) days are reported in a separate column to give you a quick overview as to whether you're abusing them. There's also a pie chart, a summary compliance score, and a personal olympics medal (if you deserve it!).

The summary compliance score is calculated by the following crude formula:

green / ( green + red ) - ( special percent exceeding 7%)

I realize that this isn't a perfect scoring system for all people and all habits, and version 3 will let you choose between several scoring systems for each tag. I already hacked something for weekend luddite so that special days aren't counted there.

The personal olympics medals are given as follows:

>= 98% Gold
>= 96% Silver
>= 92% Bronze

This is more or less in line with what I've previously recommended for personal olympics (an average 0,1,2 failures per month, respectively).

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... te&t=tasks

Export (tab)

You can now download your precious data to back it up or view it in excel or something. And if you're a programmer, you can build your own visualizer for habitcal data. The format is simple, 3 tab delimited columns: date, tag, and score (reported as 1/0/-1 for success/exempt/failure, respectively).

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... hovelglove

What's left for version 3?

A lot. The biggies are:

Timeline view: a compact but way of looking at (say) a whole year of compliance data at once. This might make version 2.5 because it doesn't require any database changes and I have a pretty good idea what it should look like.

Tag Properites Editing: a way to set things like what scoring system to use for each tag, maybe adding some descriptive text, and other options. Also the option to rename tags.

Add Note: a popular request, but tricky to add to the current interface unobtrusively. I'll probably add a "journal view"optimized for note viewing and editing and just make notes with a hyperlinked "*" or something in the other views.

Track arbitrary numeric data like weight: this is tricky because except for the pending timeline view, it's a little tricky to squeeze into the other views (what if the numbers are too big to fit in the date cell? etc).

More attractive "RESTful" urls: I doubt anyone cares about this except other programmers, but I'm a programmer after all... My primary concern is how to clean them up without breaking exisiting links, because aesthetics ain't worth inconvenience and cool urls never change.

Let me know if there are any other features you're hankering for, or if you run into bugs with the new release. It seems to work fine on firefox, safari, and IE 7 at least. (Chrome test pending)

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JackHacket

Post by JackHacket » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Reinhard,

Wow! Great new functionality. Many thanks. I already love the table view and the statistics have made me feel much worse about my failures than the regular view :oops:, so well done indeed! My hat's off to you once again!

As for feature requests, I'll repeat: the ability to rename a tag without losing all its data would be excellent.

Best

anndelise

Post by anndelise » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 pm

I love the table view. Upon seeing it for the first time I got all sorts of excited. This morning I made one that I could print off for October's goals.

Your habitcals have totally changed my 'to do' lists. The goals I set for myself are now more geared to developing a habit instead of just a final result. Result lists get a separate small folded paper to be carried around on errands, etc.

Also, the light system makes me more desiring to get a green instead of just a checkmark. Also, having the yellow days allows me a chance to 'plan' off days instead of being so sick of always doing it that I start the habit of skipping on days.

Everything on the habitcal seems so 'doh' i shoulda figured that out already'. Their like so obvious, and helpful. :o

I'm glad I ran into this site last month.
Thank you

ann

kbits

Post by kbits » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm

*applauds*

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm glad you all like the changes -- and no bug reports yet.

JackHacket -- "Tag Rename" will come with the tag edit panel. Thanks for the reminder.

One remaining issue: printing is (still) annoying with the habitcal. It is actually possible to get it to print out with all the colors, but you have to set your browser to "print background colors." In every browser this option is hiding in a different totally obscure place. I'll track down instructions for the big three (IE, Firefox, Safari) and link from the main habitcal page.

Reinhard

Neptunus

Post by Neptunus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 am

Reinhard,
I don't know if you've found out about the color-printing options of all the browsers, but for Safari (at least Safari 4, don't have any older versions), these images might help:

Safari how-to 1
Safari how-to 2

Simple, but easily missed (that blue button in the first image isn't very obvious, I think).
This site might help you with the other browsers.
- Your friendly neighborhood vegan, proud shovelglover!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:30 pm

I like it a lot conceptually, but I think some of the algorithms don't work for me.

I do my S-days from 6pm on Friday to 6pm on Sunday. I color code Friday and Saturday yellow as S-days on my HabitCal, and consider Sunday green if I'm back on track by 6.

For exercise, the goal is to get exercise "any five days," because my schedule is erratic. So my yellows are scattered throughout the week. I only get a red if I miss 3 in a (calendar) week.

When I run the stats, they look like I'm taking a lot of NWS... but I'm really not.

In version 3, can the algorithm be adjusted to look at the week overall? Or is that too complex?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks for the link, Neptunus, going to the main habitCal page... now.
In version 3, can the algorithm be adjusted to look at the week overall? Or is that too complex?
KCCC, I'll look into this. I think that should be possible.

I'll also update the instructions on the main page soon to describe the new v2 functionality.

Reinhard

Neptunus

Post by Neptunus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Pleased to be of assistance, I'm really quite honored to see my name posted on the main habitcal page. :D
- Your friendly neighborhood vegan, proud shovelglover!

droth

All things seen in table mode

Post by droth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Is there any way to see all habits in one table view, for example if for the month you want to see all of your habits in just one table for the month? I'd like to be able to view all of my habits on just the one calendar month table.
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm

droth,

If I understand you correctly, table view lets you do this. Just hold down the shift or control key and tick multiple habits. I meant to show this in the url above, but accidentally limited it to a single habit (I'll edit the link now).

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... &t=blimits

There's also (now) a screen shot of this on the habitcal home page.

Reinhard

droth

Too Cool!

Post by droth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks so much - you are the greatest!
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Reinhard! I just wanted to tell you that I finally got to see the new features on HabitCal, thanks to Richie showing me how to use them! LOL
I have to say they are really awesome additions to this already amazingly helpful tool!
Thanks for your work on them.
Hope you're well and enjoy your weekend with the Fam.
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm

ps.... DRoth above is totally right!
You *are* the greatest! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Deb,

I'm happy you and Richie like the new features!

It's going to be a few weeks before I can start thinking seriously about version 3 (big deadline at dayjob), but keep the suggestions coming...

Reinhard

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Can I request a JSON dump of the data?

Like a &f=json that can be appended to
http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/view/

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:02 pm

How's this, Blaze?

http://www.everydaysystems.com/habitcal ... endluddite

To generate your own, select export (json) from the view list.

Unlike tsv, there are a bunch of different ways I could emit JSON. I haven't thought about it a whole lot yet. This seems like one of the more obvious ways to do it, but I could also/instead make it record oriented (like tsv), have date come above tag in the hierarchy, break date into three levels, etc.

Reinhard

Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Man, I was hoping to be able to slack off for a while while you implemented that.

http://www.scottbrooks.ca/habitcal/
is something I'm just playing with right now.

It's using
http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... assceiling
for the source data

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Very cool!

It's is a great milestone for the habitcal that other developer(s) are creating their own views using its "API." I'm honored!

I see you generated this using Jit -- coincidentally I've been playing around with Jit, too.

Here's a "treemap" of a snapshot of the entire habitcal database:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/habitcal/tags/

Although this is live, I haven't announced it yet because there are a few finesses I'd still like to add to it (plus write the script that regenerates the data every hour or so or whatever). Also, it's a little slow depending on where you are, so I've got to compress the data somehow (it's much slower in Madrid, where I am now for a conference, than it was back home in Boston).

Reinhard