Natj food log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

natj

Natj food log

Post by natj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:06 pm

I would like to start an electronic food journal using the No S techniques (hopefully most of the time). Here is what I ate today:

S Day
Coffee with organic cream and Splenda (7:30am)

B- (9am) 2.5 organic eggs fried in organic coconut oil, 3 slices nitrate-free bacon, 1/2 piece organic low carb bread; Didn't need the extra piece of bacon

*28 min Kettlebell workout

Snack (1:00pm)-Starbucks shaken iced tea (no sweetener)

L- (2:15pm) 4 Smokies, few bites of organic broccoli salad, 1/2 piece organic organic low carb bread with organic pb; Didn't need the bread with pb

Snack (6:30pm)- Atkins m&m's, 1/2 diet soda; didn't need- eating just to eat

D- (8pm) - 2 Hot and 1 BBQ wing with and ranch, piece of cheese off of pizza- eating just to eat

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:43 am

Hi! Looks like a 'good' S day :) My crave yesterday was ginger - and I managed to nibble my way through a whole bag of crystallized ginger pieces)

How long have you been doing No S?
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 pm

S Day
Coffee with organic cream and splenda (7:30am)

B (9:00am)- 2 flax and cream cheese pancakes fried in organic coconut oil with coconut oil "syrup", 1 sausage patty (satisfied)

*20 min arm lifting routine

L (2:00pm)- 3/4 small chicken breast, a few bites of roast beef with mozz cheese and peppers; a few bites of cucumber salad, a few bites of coleslaw, and a few bites of caesar salad (satisfied- left some beef and chicken on my plate)

Snack (4:30pm)- low carb brownie mug cake (been wanting to try- was pretty good)

D- Bites of food while making lunches: 1-watermelon; 1- honeydew melon; 1- ham; 1- broccoli salad and a lick of tuna salad; lots of sunflower seeds (was not hungry at all for dinner, but still ate, just to eat)

Hi Rawcookie (I like your name!),

I have been doing No S on and off for about 10 months, but I throughout this time, I have continued to practice No Snacking (3 meals a day, except on the weekends) since I prefer being hungry for each meal.

natj

Post by natj » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:19 am

N Day

B (7:00am)- coffee with organic cream and splenda, left over cream cheese and flax pancake spread with organic coconut oil and organic pb

L (12:00pm)- tuna salad with cheese "crackers"; broccoli salad

D (6:45pm)- bun-less bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms, onions, sautéed in organic coconut oil; small salad with oil and vinegar; low carb iced coffee with whip

Fail (8:30pm)- 2 handfuls of pistachios

Mindset- horrible day at work
Last edited by natj on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 am

what time did you eat the pistachios?

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 am

N Day
Coffee with cream and organic sugar (7:00am)

B-(9:45am) 1/2 Organic greek yogurt with a few strawberries, blueberries, some chia seeds and a drizzle of honey

L- (12:30pm) Soba chicken noodle bowl (2/3rds); 2 bites of baguette with butter

D- (6:15pm) 3/4 Grilled chicken cobb salad; glass of wine; low carb iced coffee

Mindset- better day today

RAWCOOKIE, I ate those pistachios last night at 8:30pm (well after dinner)... :twisted:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:16 am

Glad your day went better. Your food looks yummy. Kind of how I eat! Hope tomorrow goes well too!

Linda :D
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

natj

Post by natj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:57 am

N Day

Coffee with organic sugar and cream (didn't finish it)- 7:00am

B- forgot to eat (busy at work)

L- (12noon) Whole foods salad bar (yum!)- a few bites of chickpea salad; a few bites of quinoa, edamame, and lentil salad; a few bites of rotisserie chicken, lettuce, cheese, and bacon salad; a few bites of melon (was pretty full afterwards)

Iced coffee with cream and sugar-free syrup- 5:30pm

D- (7:00pm) Taco salad; guac and cheese "chips"

Lpearlmom,

I would like to first say that I have truly enjoyed reading your check-in! You are very inspiring, self-aware and deeply honest. It's funny you should say that we eat similar because I have noticed that too. I have recently started to change the way I eat due to no weight loss on No S, hence the reason for my posting at this stage in the process. I'm hoping that through some small changes paired with the accountability and clarity of posting my food intake, I can finally start to lose some of this weight (I have about 40 lbs to lose).

After only losing 2 pounds on No S for 6 months, I tried a variation of No S with strictly low-carb for the past few months or so. This got me 1 additional pound. As a result, i have just dropped the strict no carb and have decided to focus on all habits of No S instead, while trying and eat real, unprocessed foods. I am not strictly low-carb anymore as I didn't really feel that great doing it, and can't believe that a piece of fruit could be "harmful" to one's diet. Only time will tell if this will work, but I just can't drive myself crazy over strict "rules" and by cutting out entire food groups. Thanks for your support!

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 am

I eat similar to you... kinda lower carb :)
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

natj

Post by natj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00 am

N Day

Coffee with organic cream and sugar (7:00am)

B- (9:30am)- 1/2 Organic greek yogurt with blueberries, almonds, and chia seeds

L- (1:30pm) Lettuce wrap with turkey and bacon; diet coke

D- (6:30pm)- 1/2 grilled bacon cheeseburger (no bun); gluten-free breaded chicken breast; lc iced coffee; was starving

Mindset- up and down day at work (very emotional)
Last edited by natj on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:47 am

Thank you so much natj! I too did nos for a long time without losing much weight but of course I was afraid to weigh myself so it's hard to know. It's funny though when I look back at my food logs I realize I was eat quite a bit of food and a lot of heavy food at that so not exactly surprising that I didn't lose much weight. Still it was all about getting the habit down which I definitely did.

Anyway I'm sure you'll start losing now that you're changing your food up a bit. We do low-carb but that doesn't mean no carb. It's really about better carbs and fruit is definitely on the menu so yeah I think you have good instincts about what's healthy.

Keep up the good work!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:17 am

N Day

B- (10:00am)- 1/2 Organic greek yogurt with blueberries, almonds, and chia seeds

L- (12:45 pm) Grilled chicken cesar salad; diet coke

D- (6:00pm)- 2 smokies; asian coleslaw; pork chop

I have been starving the past few nights at dinner. Not sure if physical or emotional.

S Day tomorrow!

Not sure what I want to do about weighing myself. I can get so demotivated from doing it, but also want to see if what I'm doing is actually working.

lpearlmom, I read your post about the quantum scale. Are you still satisfied with it?
Last edited by natj on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:22 am

I didn't weigh myself for my first 21 day trial... I'm doing it at the end but I'm kinda clueless on my start weight. Want to get the habits down, then worry. I'm going to read what you guys decide about scale... :idea: that way I can get ideas from you all!! Thankful for this thread! :D
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:52 am

Scales are optional :) You can always use other markers. A few ideas:
How do your clothes fit
Use a tape measure and track inches
Note In a journal or log how you feel eather physically or psychologically
Is it easier to walk up stairs or otherwise exercise.
Do you just feel better?

You can use whatever marker feels right for you. Good luck and kind regards.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:01 pm

The weighing question is a hard one! I didn't weigh myself for the first year & it got to the point where I was afraid to weigh myself. I felt that I had lost a little weight but was afraid of being disappointed so I didn't weigh myself.

By the time I finally stepped on the scale it was after a short break from nos where I think I gained some weight. I felt really discouraged but decided to do NoS again. Mainly because it's the only y solution I've ever found to my constant obsessing about food & my body. It's the only time I felt sane/normal around food which is huge. Unfortunately at over 200 lbs & only 5'3" I really needed to lose weight & needed to find a way to gauge this realistically.

My mind has a way of playing tricks on me & I tend to think I weigh a lot more or less than I really do dependIng upon my current mood. That's where the quantum scale has been great. It really helps me to be more objective about the numbers. It can still be disappointing when things are slow to budge but it doesn't make or break my day like seeing the whole number there used to do especially now that I. Getting used to normal fluctuations.

Anyway that's my story. Hope it helps you guys some!!

Linda :)

natj

Post by natj » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:30 pm

S Day
Coffee with organic cream and sugar (7:30am)

B- (10:15 am) 2 organic eggs fried in organic coconut oil, 2 slices nitrate-free bacon, 1/2 piece organic low carb bread; 1 mini sugar free pb cub

*28 min Kettlebell workout

L-(2:30pm) Small DQ Blizzard; bowl of Doritos

Snack-(4:30pm) Sunflower seeds; 4 oreos; small piece of sourdough toast

D- (8:00pm)- 6 slices thin crust pizza; 1 hot wing

Tacosdiscos- I like the 21 day idea, but I know I will be so bummed if I don't lose or even gain.

Ginerpie- thanks for the other "markers" of success... good idea. I am noticing that my clothes are already fitting a little looser and that I am feeling better during my weekend workouts.

lpearlmom- I appreciate your candid"ness" about getting discouraged when the weight loss is slower, even on the quantum scale. Sigh. Need to think about it some more. All I know is that I started to weigh myself when I first started No S some time ago and it greatly discouraged me so I stopped. Then I started strict no-carb and weighed myself- it greatly discouraged me so I stopped. So here I am again... For now, I guess will wait.

Update
Oh boy, floodgates opened today. I had a complete What the heck day! With a few schedule changes, we ended up having ice cream for lunch, which I would have been ok with, but then I pushed the limits with other foods I haven't eaten in months. While I'm sitting here with a sore tummy, I'm trying to find a silver lining...Ok-let's try this- I was surprised I didn't eat more junk and turned today into a total binge. I know it's an S day, but it's not an excuse to treat my body poorly. I need to remember how I feel right now, and just mark this and move on.
Last edited by natj on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't get the quantum scale till recently. When I said I was very discouraged after not losing on NoS that was on the old scale. Once I got the quantum scale I started to lose weight.

Not that I attribute my success all to that but being able to see my progress in a non-threatening way has definitely been helpful. I had days in the beginning where I felt frustrated but it's not like I used to feel--completely defeated & full of self loathing. I'm able to just keep it in perspective and it doesn't ruin my day. In fact I don't even know exactly how much I weigh and I love that. I only know I've lost 32lbs and so I'm just focused on the positive.

Sorry for going on so long but just wanted to make sure I wasn't selling the scale short. I used to think throwing out my scale was the way to go but that made me feel even more anxious and frankly I fooled myself about my weight. This scale is the happy comprise I was looking for.

Okay gl with whatever you decide!

Linda

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 pm

>>>2.5 organic eggs fried in organic coconut oil, 3 slices nitrate-free bacon, 1/2 piece organic low carb bread; Didn't need the extra piece of bacon <<<

That is a beautiful breakfast.

As far as losing or gaining is concerned, as many people (other than me) have stated, it is habits you build in the beginning. What habits? Driving through town and skipping the fast food dens of iniquity. :lol: I live in a town where fast food is everywhere. Other than a once or twice a month order in pizza for dinner, I very seldom hit a fast food place. Normally, when I do, it is Taco Bell, or Subway (not that there is anything necessarily more righteous with those establishments). In fact, I cannot remember the last time I ate a fast food burger. Another habit, breakfast. That is a habit I have formed, and at times forced myself to take on. And being a cereal hater, I usually eat eggs, or a breakfast sandwich. (That is where Subway comes in...) More habits? exercise. I know there is Cto5K and Cross Fit, P90X, and all that, but for many, walking to the mail box and back is a good start. You can find the Charles Atlas program online, work yourself up to 200 Atlas Dips a day and you will have arms and shoulders Rachel McLish would be envious of.

Build the habits, don't worry about the crash and burns, and the weight will come off.
[/i]
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

natj

Post by natj » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 am

lpearlmom,

Thanks for your updated post on the quantum scale. Even before you wrote back, I had it in my shopping basket (especially since many of the colors are out of stock). I just now need to hit "buy". Can't figure out why there is so much drama around this for me. grrr.

Over43,
Thanks for your support and encouragement! I love your focus on habits and relaxed style about eating on No S. I took a look through some of your posts and imagine that you are truly enjoying your meals! Congrats on your success and I hope that I will come to have that relaxed style one day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Oh I know. I really wanted the pink but had to settle for green. I do think it's important to focus on the habits first and once that's firmly in place you can mess with the content of your plates for optimal weight loss. When people try to do it the other way around, it often sets them up for failure.

My plates were piled really high with heavy foods for quite awhile before I messed with the what part of my plate but it was fairly easy to do once my habits were strong. The only reason I wished I had weighed myself during those early stages is because I think seeing that I wasn't gaining (& probably even losing very slowly) would have calmed me down and help me stay the course instead of temporarily getting sidetrack with another plan (intuitive eating) in which I definitely gained weight.

You're right this stuff is complicated but I promise you once you build those habits, so much of the rest falls into place! Whether or not you want to weigh yourself during that phase is entirely up to you. Just make sure your expectations are realistic. Very small weight loss (although everyone's different) with huge gains in sanity and emotional health around eating issues.

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:23 pm

S Day

Coffee with organic cream and sugar- (8:00am)

B- (10:30am) 2.5 organic ham, egg, and cheese cups; 1/4 avocado

L- (2:00pm) bunless cheeseburger with fresh garden cucumber; a spoonful of guac and some broccoli salad

Snack: a strawberry; a couple of blueberries and a bite of honeydew melon

D- organic low carb bread with pb and sugar free jelly; sunflower and pumpkin seeds

Snack: piece of sugar-free chocolate; cheese "chips" and guac

Woke up feeling like garbage from a carb fest coma yesterday and I sure learned my lesson. I don't know if I just needed to push my boundaries or something, but I hadn't had carbs/any junk food in over 2 months and I now know why-They make me feel BAD. The lesson isn't so much about anything I may gain weight wise, but more about how my body feels. I just feel so much better eating real foods- I'd forgotten about this horrible bloated feeling that I haven't had for so long. The good news is that I am not beating myself up and have just continued where I left off. Hopefully it only takes a few days of eating real foods to start feeling better.

Linda, thanks for your post. It gives me a lot to think about. I keep leaning towards not weighing myself, but I the little voice on my shoulder keeps saying that I'm just being "wimpy." I've decided to wait a week and make the decision after another week has passed. We'll see what I've come up with then. :roll:
Last edited by natj on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:57 am

Sorry about the rough S day. I've had more than my share of those. I think your plan of waiting to weigh for nowis a good one.

Have a great week!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:10 am

N Day

B- (9:00am) 1/2 piece of organic low-carb bread with organic pb

L- (12:30pm) 2 organic egg, ham, and cheese cups; garden tomato; a couple of strawberries and blueberries

D- (6:30pm)nitrate free smoked sausage fried in organic coconut oil sautéed with cabbage and onions; low carb iced coffee

I really wanted to "snack" around 3:30-4:30pm, but I avoided it(yay)!

Already starting to feel better now that I'm back to my "normal eating".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Great job! Monday's are always a little tough because you're coming off from snacky S days but you did great. :)

natj

Post by natj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:02 am

N Day

B- Organic greek yogurt with berries, nuts and a drizzle of honey

L- Organic ham, egg, cheese and veggie cups with 1/4 of an avocado; few bites of melon; Cola essence flavored La Croix (weirdly delicious)

D- Cheese stuffed meatloaf; low-carb version of cheesy oven hash browns (used spaghetti squash instead of hash browned potatoes); green salad with ranch. Low carb iced coffee.

Meat loaf was kind of a fail (it turned out really greasy) but the spaghetti squash oven hash was delish.

Linda, it was almost "easy" to get back on my normal eating pattern after that tummy ache this past weekend.
:)
Last edited by natj on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 am

Oh yeah eating yourself silly will make you run to N days with open arms! I love me some spaghetti squash! :)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:52 am

natj wrote:S Day

Woke up feeling like garbage from a carb fest coma yesterday and I sure learned my lesson.
The same thing happened to me this week. I was on a residential course at the weekend and just had a few cookies at break times, a yukky creamy dessert - just generally ate stodge and sweets - felt so bad on Monday morning that I couldn't eat any breakfast! It's Wednesday now - and I feel normal again!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:55 am

N Day

B- Organic greek yogurt with berries, nuts and a drizzle of honey

L- Organic ham, egg, cheese and veggie cups with 1/4 of an avocado; few bites of melon; 1/2 fresh garden cucumber

D- Bunless cheeseburger with mozzarella sticks (most of the breading removed). Diet coke.

Was sad to watch my hubby and kid eating ice cream while we were out at dinner, but I didn't cave. To make myself feel better, I tried on a pair of jeans I am striving to get into as soon as we got home. They are still definitely too tight, but I could at least get them up and button them up. It's good motivation for me to start to feel my clothes loosen. It's been a long time since that's happened. Maybe this is starting to work....

:shock:

RAW- aren't you so glad the tummy ache has gone away? That's also good motivation to not do it again! Hopefully I'll learn. Only about 2 days away from the weekend and the dangerous S Days...

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 am

natj - the jeans are a good motivator!
The husband has ice cream or some sort of sweet every night. Somehow during the week it doesn't phase me. Of course I tend to like savoury things, so second and snacks are more of a threat.

natj

Post by natj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:43 am

N Day

Coffee with organic cream and sugar

B- Organic yogurt with berries and nuts and a drizzle of honey

L- We had a pot luck at work today... not too many choices for me, but I had: spoonful of sloppy joe meat, spoonful of crab dip; flax cracker chips; piece of cantaloupe, green salad with asian dressing; a couple of veggie straws; spoonful of pb

D- 2 organic eggs; 4 pieces of nitrate-free bacon; 1/2 piece organic low-carb bread with cream cheese; iced coffee

Totally didn't enjoy my lunch today, so I'm glad I didn't snack before dinner! In the past, I notice that I feel entitled to eat more if I didn't like one of my meals.

Kwerp,

I know that at least one of the "S"'s will get to each and everyone of us on this board. I feel lucky that the snacking doesn't get to me, but of course, I miss the sweets. Seconds aren't typically that big a deal to me either, but it's always those sweets... I've been able to curtail it most days by making my iced coffee, which you could argue is sweet- but there's no sugar in it (and it's helping me stay on plan). I make it with a scoop of Arctic Zero (fake low-cal ice cream); a spoonful of unsweetened chocolate powder; a splash of heavy cream, a 1/2 cup of unsweetened cashew milk, 1/4 cup of cold brewed decaf coffee... I blend it all together, pour it in a glass and put some whipped cream and a drizzle of sugar-free hershey's chocolate syrup. Tastes like a coffee milkshake, is filling, and is under 100 calories!

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am

natj wrote:N Day

Totally didn't enjoy my lunch today, so I'm glad I didn't snack before dinner! In the past, I notice that I feel entitled to eat more if I didn't like one of my meals.
I totally am like this so I love how no s makes me just move on.... thank goodness!!
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

natj

Post by natj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:54 pm

N Day

B- none (too nervous to eat- don't ask, WORK)

L- Salad bar- rotisserie chicken atop of lettuce, cheese, bacon and veggies; a few bites of antipasto salad; a few bites of quinoa edamame salad; a few bites of fruit; diet coke

D- fried crustless pizza topped with bacon, mushrooms, green peppers and onions; iced coffee

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 am

You have the most delicious menus!

I too toyed with low-carb before. I will admit that I felt much better on a diet with more protein and less starch. Even though I couldn't stick with a strict low-carb diet I do make sure I eat ample protein.
~Cindy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 am

Oooh I think I may have to copy your iced coffee idea! Sounds delish and def can't be worse than my skinny mochas!

Looks like you're doing good and hope work calms down for ya! At least it's the weekend!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 pm

S Day!

Coffee with cream and organic sugar

B- Sausage patty, piece of cheese, 1 egg and a small piece of ham

Snack: a few bites of melon

L- 3 small beef sticks; several slices of summer sausage; pieces of havarti and cheddar cheese; 2 bites of organic pb and sugar free jelly sandwich

Snack: 4 blueberries; 1 strawberry and lots of licks during the making of a low-carb cheesecake (will be my dinner tonite!); bite of fresh baked bread; handful of pumpkin seeds

D- low carb cheesecake with whipped cream and berries (so, so, good!); sunflower seeds

ItsMe- I struggled on a very low carb plan, so now I allow a moderate amount of fruit and a few bites here and there of carbs. It actually seems to be working better for me than no/extremely low carb- go figure!

Linda- the iced coffee works like a charm, and it totally fills me up so I don't even want to eat afterwards! I often imagine it's similar to your skinny iced mochas that you make. If you try it, let me know what you think!
Last edited by natj on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:58 pm

Your cheesecake reminds me.... I love this one low carb pound cake from George Stella... now I want to make it... do you know his recipes? They're so good. Btw, I love how even on our S day we are still lower carb than most people! Hahaha! Wtg!
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

natj

Post by natj » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 pm

S Day

B- none

L- bunless cheeseburger with 1/2 side salad

Snack: piece of low-carb cheesecake with whip cream and a sliced strawberry on top; package of Atkins peanut m&m's

D- Sunflower seeds; a few pieces of summer sausage

Am done with the cheesecake now. Was good, but getting bored after eating it 2 days in a row. Giving the rest away!

Walked for almost 3 hours at the zoo today... feeling a little dehydrated and am insatiably thirsty.

Taco,

I do know George Stella's recipes! I got the Living Low Carb cook book from the library and copied a lot of the recipes. I especially like his mock potato salad... I use that recipe all the time! Haven't tried the pound cake though, sounds yummy- maybe next weekend...Thanks for the cheers!
Last edited by natj on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:51 am

Looks like a good day. I'm glad you guys mentioned George Stella's book. I have it on my Amazon wish list but wasn't sure about it. It'll probably be my next purchase.

Have a great week!

Linda

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 am

His food always comes out so good!!
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

natj

Post by natj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:59 am

N Day

B- new version of low-carb bread with butter, cream cheese, and sugar free jam

L-two organic eggs fried in organic coconut oil; several slices of pepperoni; a few bites of melon

D- 3 meatballs; zoodles; 1 piece of hard salami; low carb iced coffee

20 min walk
10 min arms workout

natj

Post by natj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 am

N Day

B- organic greek yogurt with fruit and nuts

L- grilled chicken salad with bacon and gorgonzola cheese; bite of tortilla

D- baked cheesy chicken (2 tenderloins); bite of mashed potatoes; organic green salad with oil and vinegar; low carb coffee

Fail (no surprise): handful of sunflower seeds

I'm having a rough go of things today. Was a really stressful day. Well, if I'm honest, most days are really stressful at work for me because of my job. I need a career change and I think this manifests itself in other areas of my life such as my eating. I get this feeling like I want to break these restraints I have with eating. I just wish I didn't have to worry about food/eating/weight loss and I just feel cursed sometimes. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my bad day (bad job), but it's hard not to want to give up in this area and "buck" my (diet) system. Sigh. Ok, let's hope tomorrow is a better day.
Last edited by natj on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 am

But you made it? Even after a really bad day? I'd say that's something to feel good about. So sorry about your stressful job. Do you mind asking me what line of work your in? Any chance of changing anytime soon?

The good thing about NoS is you can just kind of put the system in place and not worry about it after that. Your weight should get to a good healthy place over time and it should help to give you a healthier relationship with food.

Before I even lost a pound on NoS, I'd gained so much more emotionally. I've gone from obsessing about food & dieting 24/7 to only thinking about food near mealtimes. In other words, overtime following NoS should give you one less thing to worry about so hang in there.

Hope things ease up for you soon!

Linda

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 am

natj wrote:N Day

I'm having a rough go of things today. Was a really stressful day. Well, if I'm honest, most days are really stressful at work for me because of my job. I need a career change and I think this manifests itself in other areas of my life such as my eating. I get this feeling like I want to break these restraints I have with eating. I just wish I didn't have to worry about food/eating/weight loss and I just feel cursed sometimes. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my bad day (bad job), but it's hard not to want to give up in this area and "buck" my (diet) system. Sigh. Ok, let's hope tomorrow is a better day.
I TOTALLY understand this! It has been part of my past failures on diets. I wish I didn't have to deal with all this either. But there is hope! No S is hope! You are doing great and I love reading your menus!
~Cindy

natj

Post by natj » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:13 am

N Day

B- organic yogurt with fruit and nuts

L- low-carb bread with organic pb and sugar-free jelly; fresh garden cucumber; a few bites of melon; about a tablespoon of pistachios

D- smoked sausage with sautéed cabbage and onions in organic coconut oil; low carb iced coffee

Fail: 2 bites of honeydew melon; a bite of watermelon; a bite of ham while making lunches. Sigh.

Linda,

I work on a VERY lean Human Resources team at a large organization. While I get to work on some really challenging projects/scenarios, the company has been in a downsizing mode pretty much since I've started... Which means, I'm firing and laying people off left and right, as well as doing a lot of HR "stuff" that I haven't had to do since early on in my career (since we've laid off a lot of our own HR team). Unfortunately I'm "stuck" because of another recent bad choice in a company that I stayed at briefly... but even if I could go to another company, I just wouldn't want to do this part of HR anymore. I've been doing it too long, and frankly I'm burned out. My timeframe (financially) is to leave the corporate world is just under 2 years, which I know isn't a long time. However, when I'm having a hard time getting up every more to go into work, it feels like forever. I am currently trying to figure out my next "career" and I have some thoughts, but I need to get through the end of this year to get more vacation time off to explore some other options. Anyway, I could go on forever about how much I wish things were different, but instead know I need to figure out a way to "deal" until my 22 months are up. I've tried meditation as I'd like to be more present to not feel a ticking clock all the time, but I'm having a hard time sticking with it. Perhaps I should add to my current Daily check in?? Hmmm...need to think about that. Boy, the floodgates really opened up there, so sorry for writing such a rant!

ItsMe, don't you wish these emotions wouldn't be linked to our eating? I wonder how I made the connection in the first place and wish I could easily unravel the linkage. Let me know if you find a better way to deal- I'm always open to ideas. Anyway- thanks for the cheers!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:35 am

Ugh! That's hard nat! My friend works for an hr company and it seems like her job is constantly threatened. Very stressful! And of course it sounds like you don't have a lot of positive in your job right now. I admire you hanging in there till the time is right though.

I think it's normal to seek food for comfort. A very human thing to do. Hang in there & make sure you give yourself something to look forward to each day. No matter how small!

*hugs* Linda

natj

Post by natj » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 am

N Day

B- low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jelly

L- unagi make with an iced tea; a couple bites of fresh fruit

D- 2 italian sausages with fresh mozzarella cheese; asian slaw; pepperoni slices (was over hungry since I didn't get home until very late)

I will be traveling over the next few days so not sure if I'm going to take an NWS day or not tomorrow. We'll see- I'll probably decide in the moment.

Linda,

Thanks for your kind words. It's a really challenging time and I just need to find a way to deal. The good news is that I've made a really good name for myself, so hopefully that will save me in some way- either by getting another job in the department (eventually) or at the very least, saving me from my own lay-off. Until then, one more day down... only 664 more days! Not that I'm counting. :twisted:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:04 am

Oh boy it's got to be pretty bad if we are counting days! :wink: You have a good, realistic attitude about it all so I know you'll get through it with grace.

Good luck with your traveling. It always makes things a bit tricky doesn't it?

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:11 pm

NWS Day

Coffee with cream and sugar

B- organic yogurt with nuts and fruit
Snack: sunflower seeds

L-1 Italian sausage: 2 meatballs; piece of fresh mozzarella; pepperoni; fresh fruit

45 min walk

D- 1.5 spare ribs; cucumber salad; 2 glasses of wine

Not much time to write, but wanted to track.
Last edited by natj on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:14 pm

S Day

B- 2 eggs; 3 slices of bacon; 1 sausage link

Snack: 4 mini- plums picked from a tree!

30 min walk

L- taco dip with 2 tortilla chips; blueberry vodka lemonade; vodka on the rocks

Snack: 4 potato chips

D- small piece of grilled chicken; brat; 3 bites of potato salad; small bit of fruit salad[/b]

natj

Post by natj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:21 pm

S Day

Coffee with cream and sugar

B- Sausage and cheese biscuit; hash brown

L- 2 slices of pizza; 3 breadsticks

D- Small hot fudge sundae with nuts

natj

Post by natj » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 pm

N Day

B- 2 organic eggs with 3 pieces of nitrate free bacon

28 mins kettlebell workout

L- saganaki; greek salad with gyro meat with 2 bites of pita bread; cup of chicken broth

D- 2 pieces of thin sliced deli ham; 2 fritos; low carb iced coffee; sunflower seeds

On a vacation day today, but still going to try for an N day. Not too difficult to do. On Friday when I had one, I only snacked a little on the car ride. Not bad.

Anyway, I did it again this past weekend on my S day. For months I didn't let a carb pass my lips until just the past few weeks. I ended up eating a tons of carbs yesterday that all started with breakfast on my drive home. The good news is that I ate generally 3 meals- only had one snack and didn't really overeat for any of the meals, I just ate outside my normal low carb fair. For the record, I had a severe tummy ache...

On another note, I'm really starting to panic because I have a trip coming to Hawaii with my extended family coming up at the end of November. I just feel so horrible about myself at this size and I think it will ruin my trip because I will be so self conscious that I won't be able to enjoy myself. I can barely stand wearing summer clothes as it is now because I feel so bad about how I look in them. I have been actively trying to lose weight since February via low carb and have noticed only the loosening of my pants- not even a move down to the next size. It's truly discouraging because I feel as though I'm eating so little (and confirming it by my tracking), yet I watch people in my family eat 2x the amount I do and stay slim... don't know what else to do besides throw my hands up. The only plan I have is to try and workout more (even though I"m not sure how I'll fit that in with my schedule) mediate- work up to 10 mins a day and just eat moderately, I guess. Sigh. :(

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:01 am

I'm so sorry nat! I definitely feel your pain. Last summer I met up with my mom & sister in Vegas and it was about the hardest thing I ever had to do. I don't get along with my size four sister very well as it is and then to have to spend the weekend with her by the pool, in my size 18 swimsuit oh my, it was so stressful especially since she used to give me a hard time about my weight when we were growing up.

If you continue to stick to NoS, you should be down a few pounds by then but I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything more drastic as it will probably backfire. One thing I notice is that people usually will follow your lead on these things. If you act like you're comfortable with yourself and not bothered by your weight then they'll relax and be comfortable with it too.

I've got plenty of overweight friends & not bothered the least by their size. I'm too caught up in thinking about my own body to start worrying about someone else & im pretty sure most people operate like this. Somjust try to focus on enjoying your surroundings & company and maybe the next time you all get together you'll be at a weight you're more comfortable with.

Of course if you have one of those mean people in your family that love to comment on your weight & put you down, that's a whole nother story. We'll have to think of an entirely different strategy for that.

As for the carbs, do you think you might be better off allowing yourself a few more carbs during the week so you don't binge on them over the weekend?

Unless you have some kind of medical reason, you should be able to lose weight when eating less food. It may take time though so hang in there. Also, it didn't seem to make a big difference on my weight loss whether or not I exercised so don't stress about that too much but I do think finding ways to incorporate it will benefit your health & stress levels.

Okay sorry to go on so long & I hope I don't sound too bossy. Hang in there & good luck!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 am

N Day

B- organic protein shake

L- low carb tortilla with Justin's chocolate Hazelnut butter

D- Taco salad with organic ground turkey; low carb coffee
20 min walk

Linda, thanks for the pep talk. While everyone in my family is very judgmental about weight, it is also ME that I have to get past. These past few years as a heavier person have been very difficult for me since one of my hobbies is fashion, and I haven't been able to indulge. In fact, I've actually shied away from it since every time I go into a dressing room, I end up leaving feeling horrible about myself. I wish I was one of those people that could love themselves at any size, but I can't. It's a huge blow to my self esteem when I can't feel good in my clothes. I guess I'm just so used to how I used to look that it's hard to see what I've become. Anyway, I think the hardest person to please is myself, and I'm just not sure how to get past that right now. In the meantime, I'll keep soldiering on.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:39 am

Oh I completely get it. I was a size 6 in college and my email at the time was fashncop@. You get the idea. Flash back just six months ago. All my clothes were dark & baggy. Trying on clothes would bring me to a near & total breakdown. Now I'm down a few sizes, enjoying clothes again (fitted & colorful) and things are SO much better.

I really really convinced myself that it was just genetically impossible to lose weight again. Clearly it's not and, although I still have a ways to go, even this is so much better than when I first started. You can do this. You can make it happen too.

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:30 am

Hi ladies!
I totally understand this. I was a very slim youth and young adult. I had a terrific figure. Then age 27 came and...well....here I am now. I wonder if it is a different struggle for people who have been heavy most of their lives vs people who have been slim most of their lives but gain weight? It is still a struggle regardless but probably a different set of demons to fight.
~Cindy

natj

Post by natj » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:51 am

N Days

Wed

B- Organic protein shake

L- 2 organic ham, egg, cheese and veggie cups; melon

D- meat and veggie sautée in organic coconut oil; low carb coffee

20 min walk

Thurs

B- Organic protein shake

L- Lettuce wrap with nitrate-free ham, mayo, lettuce and tomato

D- home made mozzarella sticks; veggie cheeseburger (no bun); fresh garden salad (cucumber, tomato, banana pepper with organic olive oil and salt)

20 min walk

Linda and ItsMe- I think you guys are right- it's probably harder for those of us to have this new identity that's much...larger. My hope is that with consistent, repetitive behavior something will start working for me. I'm going to try and control my calorie intake a little bit at breakfast time with the protein shake. Let's see if that makes any difference. Onward and downward... hey, that rhymed!
:P

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 am

N Day

B-low carb tortilla with organic pb

L-organic ham, egg, cheese and veggie cup; a few bites of fruit; organic protein shake

D- bunless cheeseburger; 2 chicken fingers; 4 french drys; low-carb iced coffee

Got home very late from work; ate more than normal at dinner because I was soooo hungry.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:20 am

Doesn't look like too much to me and you managed to keep it green. Way to go!

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm

S Day

B- 2 organic eggs with 2 slices bacon; a couple of bites of melon

L- 2 bowls of cereal... which started a binge: 4 oreos; graham cracker; 1 piece of chocolate; 2 pieces of sugar free chocolate; 1 package of fancy cakes (yuck) my tummy hurts.

D- 1/2 ham sandwich; cup of decaf with cream and sugar

I know this binge is probably due to many things: more than usual calorie restriction this week; emotional about my child starting school; HATING my job; much more.... I think that overall, I live a very restricted life. Not only do I control what I eat, but I feel trapped/restricted in my job, and even my free time to some extent (I don't have much of it). When I do have some, I feel guilty for not using it better. Sigh. I need a change, but just not sure how to make it happen. Overall, I'd just like to enjoy my life more....

Edit: ok- feel a little better now that I got some endorphins from exercise and took a probiotic capsule. I did a 28 min kettle bell work out and a supercharged mile walk (Leslie Sansone). I still don't feel like eating dinner. If something changes, I will, and will be moderate about it.
Last edited by natj on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 pm

I had a semi-binge on Bombay Mix (a salty, spicy Indian crunchy snack mixture - carbs, fat, crunch, salt) this evening: I had planned to have about 50g of it, and ended up eating about 200g I reckon! I tipped the remainder of the packet in the bin to stop myself eating more of it!

Sunday will be a 'moderate' S day

No guilt on S days - right?

Interestingly, I was also, like you, feeling a bit bleargh today - miserable about my job and impending changes involving a loss of income - just generally feeling down and what you wrote resonated with me. xxx

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Raw- thanks so much for commenting! You said just what I needed. I think we all have days like this. And yes, it is an S day, so I can't really get a Red. Thanks again! :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:00 am

Good for you for recognizing what is behind your binge. I think NoS really brings these issue to the surface since we spend most of the week finding other ways to deal with our difficult feelings.

I hope you find a way out of situation soon. It makes me realize life is just hard sometimes. Whether we work or stay home, whether we have 5 kids or none. I guess we each have our struggles.

Enjoy your down time--you deserve it!

natj

Post by natj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:21 pm

S Day

B- 2 eggs fried in organic coconut oil; 1 slice of sprouted toast with butter; 1.5 slices of bacon

Snack: Costco samples! bite of salmon with organic tzaziki sauce; sip of organic watermelon lemonade; bite of organic french baguette with butter

L- summer sausage; cheddar cheese; handful of dark chocolate covered blueberries

45 min- 3 mile Leslie Sansome walk with resistance band

D- grilled greek flavored pork chop; grilled banana peppers with garlic and olive oil

Snack: (will be) Dove ice cream bar

Ok, today was much better and very moderate (Rawcookie, you were right!). I have decided to loosen up on my carb restriction even more, especially on the weekends. Hopefully this will not give me a license to go crazy, but let's face it, I have been going crazy for the past few weekends anyway. Based on how my emotional state has been manifesting itself in other places in my life, I also took some much needed free time and worked out, and also went to the library by myself, when I usually take my little guy with me. I found some books that I hope will provide me with some perspective or at least some patience around these "issues" for the near future.

Linda, thanks as always for your support. You are right, No S shines a spot light on some of these issues (which sometimes I'd prefer to ignore) :)
but it's so important for personal growth. I think I need to just realize when I'm about to figuratively "snap" and give myself some self care in whatever way I need it (i.e. more time, an NWS day, more carbs!, etc). I'm guess I'm a work from progress.

natj

Post by natj » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:02 am

N Day

B- Organic protein shake

L- 2 salami, pickle and cream cheese roll-ups; 1/2c of organic cottage cheese; 2 olives; fresh garden cucumber

D- low carb pizza quesadilla; handful of almonds; handful of pepperoni; raspberry flavored low carb iced coffee

natj

Post by natj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 am

N Day

B-Small cup of chia banana pudding; low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jam

L- Small green salad with a few bites of chicken breast; 1 small scoop of organic quinoa and lentil salad; 1/2 cup of cottage cheese

D- Bunless veggie burger; fresh garden cucumber with salt; small asian coleslaw salad; low-carb coffee

20 min walk

natj

Post by natj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 am

N Day

20 min walk

B- low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jelly

28 min kettle bell workout

Fail: "tastes" of my slow cooker sauce (over and over)

L- 2 ham and cream cheese roll-ups ; 1/2 grilled chicken breast; fresh garden tomatoes and cucumber

D- slow cooker pork "Marsala"; a small serving of Dreamfields penne; low carb coffee

(another 20 min walk)

Fail: one ritz cracker and a piece of cheddar

I usually do a lot worse with the "what the heck" factor. So even though it was a red day, I'm still good with it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:11 am

I have so much trouble not tasting my food numerous times when I cook. I imagine at some point I'll have to get a better handle it but I've gotten away with it so far.

How'd your pork come out? Also what's in your low-carb coffee if you don't mind sharing?

natj

Post by natj » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:42 am

N Day

B- low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar free jelly; 1/2 c cottage cheese

L- 3 oysters on a half shell (I can't believe I've never had them before! Loved them!!); 3 pieces of cocktail shrimp; 2 small crab claws

D- Buffalo chicken bake; two garden tomatoes; 2 slices salami and a piece of cheese; glass of wine

20 min walk

Hi Linda,

My low carb coffee is like a fake mocha; "steamed" cashew milk, tsp instant decaf coffee; dark chocolate powder; Splenda; whipped cream with sugar free syrup. I make an iced version too, but I blend cold brewed coffee and Artic Zero in with only about 1/3 c cashew milk and blend it. Good stuff to help with a "sweet tooth" I have on most nights. Oh, and the pork was really yummy. I basically use thin pork cutlets in place of chicken in a typical chicken Marsala recipe. I double the mushrooms because that's what I love the most- so good!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Ohhhh yeah that's similar to my sugar-free mocha but I use almond milk. I will have to try that iced version. The pork sounds good. I love me a good slow-cooker meal!

Looks like you had a good day. I LOVE oysters too!! I think you either love them or hate them but I can't get enough of them. There's this place right on the beach in San Francisco where you can get oysters straight out of the ocean. You can bring a bottle of wine and condiments and have a feast. Between us and one other couple went through 100 oysters--I know!

Hope you have a great weekend!

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 am

N Day

B- (not so good) banana chia pudding made with 1/2 banana; cashew milk and chia seeds; low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jelly

L- chicken green salad from (subpar) salad bar (sigh, another unsatisfying meal); handful of almonds

D- 3 hot wings; 4 small slices thin crust pizza; low carb iced coffee

Linda, I will be dreaming about that place in San Fran where you could go to the ocean and eat oysters from the ocean! Sounds like an amazing meal (experience)! The two things I regretted about my first oyster meal were: 1. not having more! 2. not being able to have a glass of champagne/wine, as I had to go back to the office afterwards. The next time I have them, I really hope I can have a (real) drink with them! YUMMMMMMMM!!!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 am

That's the same breakfast you had on 19th August - why is it 'not so good' this time? looks OK to me.
You are doing amazingly well on your low-carb diet!

Thanks for the book recommendation you posted on Linda's thread - I'm going to check it out. I'm feeling very much in a 'funk' with my work!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:50 pm

S Day

28 min kettle bell work
30 min walk

B- 1 organic scrambled egg; 2 pieces of nitrate free bacon; 1 blueberry muffin top with organic butter (heavenly!)

Snack: pumpkin seeds

L- 4 slices of salami; 3 pretzels; 1 small piece of thin crust; 5 bites of raisin bran

D- grilled chicken breast; 3 bites of scalloped potatoes

Dessert: small ice cream sundae

Very productive day. I've been wanting to send back some stuff I ordered online for 3 weeks now. In addition, I was able to pack and deliver things to Goodwill.

Also, tried a pair of jeans on that are a size smaller and they fit!! Such a good feeling. Things are finally moving in the right direction.

Raw, the banana chia pudding tasted bad yesterday- I used too much cashew milk and not enough chia seed. I also added too much stevia which made it bitter.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 am

Awesome--so happy for you! Sounds like a great day and your eating looks very sane. Glad things are going so well!

P.S.

Here's the link to the oyster place in case you're ever that way;)

http://www.tomalesbayoystercompany.com/gallery/show/2

natj

Post by natj » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:48 pm

S Day

Leslie Sansome 3 mile walk with weights

B- 2 pieces of leftover bacon from yesterday

Snack: Sunflower seeds

L- bunless bacon cheeseburger with guac; 5 pretzel bites dipped in cheese sauce

D- small bowl of cereal; Sunflower seeds

Dessert: 6 Twizzlers; 1 package Atkins peanut m&m's; 100 calorie pack of chocolate covered blueberries

I was heavy on the dessert today, and I'm sure it's due to two things: I'm exhausted from getting up so early this morning and not having a good night sleep in several days (we waiting for our new bed but got rid of the old one); but the good news I didn't go into a full-out binge which I thought could happen, especially since I didn't eat much breakfast. Phew.

Linda, thanks for the link! I LOVE places like this- relaxed, casual, and of course, the oysters!

natj

Post by natj » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 am

N day

B- Barbara's Puffins cereal with almond milk; 1/2c cottage cheese with pineapple

L- grilled chicken salad; piece of wasa bread with a smear of Justin's organic hazelnut butter

D- meatloaf topped with mushrooms and onions, green beans, 2 bites of mashed potatoes; low carb mocha

N Day

B- Barbara's Puffins cereal with almond milk; 1/2 apple with a smear of pb

L- grilled chicken salad; cup of chicken noodle soup (low noodles)

D- a few pieces of Havarti cheese; 3 pieces of salami; fresh garden cucumber; pretzels (took seconds-FAIL); a few chocolate covered blueberries and 2 pieces of sugar-free chocolate (FAIL); low carb mocha

25 min walk

I emotionally ate this evening- not that bad, but it's definitely emotional. I am laying off more employees tomorrow and it continues to get harder and harder for me to do. I wanted to keep eating, but went for a walk with my little guy instead.
Last edited by natj on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 am

How very stressful!! I'm glad you were able to find an alternative to eating. A walk with your little guy sounds perfect.

natj

Post by natj » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:47 am

N Day

25 min walk

B- Barbara's Puffins cereal with almond milk

Kettlebell workout

L- 1/2 piece of grilled chicken; red cabbage salad; 1/2 slice of bread with a smear of pb

D- FAIL- Baked pasta with garlic bread; all of a sudden, I was a bottomless pit and couldn't stop eating garlic bread. I ate around most of the pasta (ate the meat and cheese) but then I couldn't stop eating the garlic bread; had 2nds; then thirds. Sigh.

What an awful day. Not only with the layoffs I had to do, but there were other dramas at work too numerous to even discuss. I'm so tired. My soul feels crushed. Need to keep hanging on just a little longer. Probably overate for emotional reasons, but maybe because I was tired? Who knows.

Gingerpie, thanks for stopping by. Yes, this job is pretty stressful (and awful), especially right now. I had a very frank discussion with my husband earlier this week and we decided to adjust our financial plan to allow for a change in my career next summer. So basically I have just 9-10 more months doing this. I hope I can make it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:34 am

I'm SO sorry you're job is getting even more stressful. Glad your DH is supportive of your career change. It must help to know there's an endpoint but I'm sure 10 mos seems awfully far away at the moment. All you can do is hang in there as long as possible.

*hugs*
Linda

natj

Post by natj » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 am

N Day

B- low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar free jelly

L- Bacon turkey lettuce wrap; almonds

D- 2 Italian sausage; low carb tortilla; serving of cheese crackers; low carb raspberry coffee.

Linda, thanks so much for your support. Sometimes we send our feelings out into the universe, not necessarily expecting a response but it felt good to get yours- thanks again.

I'm convinced everyday that I'm in the wrong career, and probably have been for too long. At least I am working towards changing that, however, and it gives me some comfort, for sure.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:10 am

Np! Hope today was okay. Yay for the weekend!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 pm

N Day

B- Barbara puffins cereal with almond milk; 1/2 c cottage cheese with piece of melon

L- 1/2 grilled chicken salad; low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jelly

D- 2 pieces of pizza; and 3 breadsticks- plate piled too high

natj

Post by natj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 am

S Day

B- Lemon Blueberry Ricotta low carb pancakes; 2 pieces of bacon

45 min Leslie Sansome walking workout holding 3 lb weights for first half and then 1 lb weights for the second half

Snack: Starbucks latte

L- 1/2 ham sandwich on pretzel bread

D- Chipotle bowl with chicken, lettuce, sour cream, black beans, hot salsa, veggies; a few tortilla chips with guac

Glass of wine; 1 toasted marshmallow

I've noticed that I've lost a little more weight since another pair of pants have loosened. I'll take it!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:28 am

Yay for the baggy pants! and Yum for the great S day food :)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 am

S Day

28 min kettle bell workout; 20 min walk

B- Pretzel croissant with 2 pieces of bacon

Snack: 1 piece of cheese; 1 piece of summer sausage

L- 1/2 chicken breast; a few slices of zucchini; scoop of cucumber salad;2 bites of corn on the cob; scoop of tomato, mozz, cucumber, and olive salad

Snack: a handful of popcorn

D- pretzel croissant; italian sausage; 2 breadsticks

Dessert: 2 WW Choc Rasp bars; 5 twizzlers; 6 chocolate covered blueberries

I wouldn't say that I binged today, but I ate past fullness in the evening. Really not even sure why. I don't know if I"m just testing myself, or sabotaging myself, or what. Either way- a wild S Day for sure today.

natj

Post by natj » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 am

N Day

B- 1/2 TJ's blueberry high-fiber muffin; 1/2 c cottage cheese with a few blueberries

L- low carb tortilla with tomato, basil, and mozzarella veggie burger; cucumbers and tomatoes; TJ's fruit bar

D- (leftovers) 2 slices of pizza; 2 breadsticks

20 min walk

I almost had a what the heck moment after I ate pizza for dinner. I had another dinner in mind that would have been much healthier, but I got home late and was STARVING. So, I ended up taking the smallest piece and a medium size piece and then went for a walk after dinner. I also didn't have my low-carb coffee to offset the heavy calories from dinner. Problem? Nope- solved.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:22 am

Yay awesome job!! Doesn't it feel great to push through those moments? :)

natj

Post by natj » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:24 am

N Day

B- Barbara's puffins with almond milk; yogurt

L- Organic salad bar small salad; edamame; handful of almonds

D- italian sausage with mozzarella cheese, green peppers and onions; 2 bites of potato salad; cucumber, mozzarella, tomato and olive salad; low-carb coffee

Felt more in control of eating today. Someone at work noticed that I was losing weight today. That was a nice motivating bonus today. Am glad things finally seem to be moving in the right direction!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:55 am

Yay awesome job! It took forever for someone to notice I was losing weight. It is a good feeling though, huh?

natj

Post by natj » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:10 am

N Day

B- 1/2 bowl Fiber cereal with almond milk and TJ's super seed mix; 1/2 low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar-free jelly

L- Tomato basil and mozzarella burger on a low-carb tortilla; small bowl of edamame; plum

D- Slow cooker chicken with a small scoop of pasta; banana with whipped cream and sugar-free chocolate sauce (I was craving something sweet)

Linda, YES- it does feel good to have someone notice. I have a long way to go, but it really felt good to get that encouragement I needed to keep on keeping on! :D

natj

Post by natj » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 am

N Day

B- Barbara's puffin cereal with almond milk

L- 3/4 TJs lemon chicken arugula salad; almonds

Fail: Cocoa nibs

D- Taco bake with lettuce shreds; low-carb coffee

natj

Post by natj » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 am

N Day

B- low carb tortilla with organic pb and sugar free jelly

L- 1/2 grilled chicken salad; couple of bites of an apple

D- FAIL- 4 pieces pieces thin crust pizza; italian salad... then 1,2,3 more pieces of pizza; 2 pieces sugar free candy; 1 packet of Atkins peanut m&m's... then, I went for a 25 min walk with my son to stop my madness!

I was able to stop a binge in the midst of it, by going on a walk. I know why it happened- I am emotionally exhausted from work and over-hungry. I should have realized my "state" rather than feeling bad that I was eating so much for dinner and then having that feeling lead into a start of a binge. I always think I'm so self-aware, but I guess I need to really pay attention to what's going on with me. At least I didn't do too much damage, but yet another fail this week. Sigh. Hopefully my S Days will be moderate- fingers crossed.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:01 am

Ugh--definitely something in the air but huge deal that you did stop it somehow in the midst of it all. That's no easy task. And good for you for recognizing why it happened. Now you can come up w a game plan for next time.

Glad it's the weekend and hopefully a three day one for you too!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:05 pm

S Day

B- 1/2 egg white omelet with ham and cheese; (very) small bowl of Barbara's Puffins cereal with almond milk and TJs super seed mix

Leslie Sansome 3 mile walk holding 3lb weights for 1/2 half then 1lb weights for 2nd half

L- leftover crockpot chicken breast with a few penne noodles; plum

Snack: iced coffee with cream and flavored syrup; 6 dark-chocolate covered pomegranate seeds

D- (will be) BBQ Ribs; 2 jumbo shrimp; bite of oven potatoes; a few bites of corn; glass of red wine

Dessert: Dove Ice cream bar

Linda, thanks for the encouragement! I do feel good that I've been able to stop a few of these binges midway... Hopefully it will help to break the binge "circuitry" I've created. Anyway, I am looking forward to the long weekend (yes, 3-day!), and enjoy my family, some relaxation, and some good food!

natj

Post by natj » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:54 pm

S Day

B- Fiber one cereal with almond milk and TJ's super seed mix

Snack: handful of pistachios

Kettlebell workout; walking workout (one after another)

L- Bunless cheeseburger with grilled onions; green salad; 2 grilled banana peppers

Snack: cottage cheese with berries; 2 handfuls of cheese popcorn; 3 pieces of sugar-free candy

D- Salami sandwich on a pretzel roll; small bowl of mixed cheese and pretzel goldfish

natj

Post by natj » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:18 pm

NWS (Holiday) Day

30 minute walking workout holding weights

B- 1/2 bacon and cheese omelette; a few bites of sourdough toast with butter; 1/2 sausage link; a few bites of hash brown potatoes

L- None

Snacks: handful of pistachios; 100 calorie pack of almonds

D- pork chop; 2 bites of garlic mashed potatoes; asparagus; 1 piece fresh-baked bread with butter

Dessert: 1 piece sugar-free chocolate; 5 twizzlers; 1/4 donut; 6 pieces of dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds

Never did get my ice cream today :cry:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:53 am

Looks like a good, moderate 3-day weekend! Hope you get your ice cream next weekend!

Linda

natj

Post by natj » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:47 am

N Day

B- Cereal with almond milk and Tj's super seed mix

L- can't remember

D- grilled pork chops; asparagus; small piece freshly baked bread with butter (heavenly!)

20 min walk

N Day

B- Cereal with almond milk and Tj's super seed mix;

L- Organic PB and sugar-free jelly on low carb tortilla; edamame; about 10 pretzel goal fish

D- Mushroom veggie burger; grilled banana peppers; low-carb iced coffee

N Day

B- Fruit, hard-boiled egg, bite of plain yogurt; almonds

L- 1/2 cup loaded baked potato soup; 2/3 cobb salad; small piece of bread with butter

D- piece of lasagna; green salad; piece of baguette; low carb choc raspberry iced coffee

Kettlebell workout and walk

My dad is in town, so I've had limited time to post...
Last edited by natj on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:12 am

Your food looks SO yummy!! Hope you have a fun time w your dad!

natj

Post by natj » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:21 am

N Day

B- egg McMuffin- SATISFIED

L- Turkey lettuce wrap; 1/2 bag of potato chips- SATISFIED

D- zucchini fritters with greek yogurt; grapes; chamomile tea with honey- SATISFIED

So, I recently read an article about what a naturally thin person typically eats. The article included the type of food, the calorie count, and listed typically 4 meals a day (or 3 meals an one snack) and I found myself deeply affected by this. The author stated that she typically left at least 10% of the food on her plate and even with doing that, the calorie count for this 127 lb woman averaged around 2000 calories per day. It was almost disheartening until I remembered that I was once like that. It really got me thinking that I spend so much time trying to eat "correctly" that I am not actually enjoying my food that much. Now, I don't expect that every single meal I eat will be bliss (sometime it will be for convenience sake, etc.), but I hope that I will mostly enjoy what I take in. As a result, I think I'll try and start tracking the satisfaction factor of my meals and see how that affects my journey (or not). I think that sometimes it may lead to different and "unhealthier" foods, but I think I've finally just given up on controlling my food to try and lose weight quickly for my upcoming trip. Let's see what happens.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:35 am

Hi, natj- That sounds really good! I think food was meant to be enjoyed, and if we don't enjoy what we eat, I don't think we really have a sustainable system going!
For me, it has been helpful to learn what I truly enjoy (or not) and the difference between that and "highly palatable food", ie. food with so much fat and salt in it that I sort of "enjoy" it after a fashion (because it's kind of addictive), but it isn't contributing to a healthful lifestyle and just isn't good for me. I have learned that I really do enjoy the natural flavor of many kinds of fruit, just plain cottage cheese or yogurt, the textures of whole grain breads, and the addition of fresh herbs (when I can get them) like cilantro and basil.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".