Help Wanted: Sweetness' New Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 am

Hi Sweetness- I miss hearing from you. Hope things are going well with your dad, and also with NoS habiit.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Osoniye, Ironchef, Auto, eschano,

Thanks for the kind thoughts, My dad is doing better, the pain is in control, but it looks like he's not going to walk again, and he will be starting on hospice tomorrow when he comes home (to his assisted living) from transitional care. Therapy has done all they can for him for now, and they're still using a lift to transfer him, he hasn't been able to stand yet. I've been the go-to person for his care and also had a lawsuit to deal with on Friday with my Mom. Property dispute...

It has been a sometimes stressful month, but I'm doing OK. I have been slipping a bit with the No S habit, but not quitting. The exercise has been a bit sporadic, but should be better now that spring is finally here. We had a blizzard with 12 inches of snow about a week ago, but today it's in the 60s and sunny. Easter was beautiful! The lake has lots of beautiful diving ducks, loons and grebes. Fun to watch! Trees are finally budding, but no green leaves yet....

My dear husband is still in Mexico, visa still in process, but praying he will be able to come up soon even if we have to pay some kind of hefty fine. He should find out tomorrow, I hope. 8) :?
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Sweetness,

I hope your husband gets his visa! All sounds quite stressful but also as if you are able to handle it. And delighted you didn't quit NoS. You'll be thankful later. I also hope you're still running as you really enjoyed running in Mexico and it might relieve some stress.

Best wishes!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

It's been quite a year.

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Well I'm back. It's been over a year since I've posted. My Dad died in May 2014, and my Mom died five months later in October. I was on a very strict anti candida diet last summer and fall because I had horrendous symptoms, so my weight was pretty stable, but I allowed snacks, the stress of caring for my parents and the grief of loss took a toll and I got out of my exercise habit, and just recently I know I gained a few pounds. Today will be day one back on no S. I looked at my testimonial that I wrote 2 years ago, and it was very inspiring to me, reminding me why I love no S and why it works! I went to the gym today and feel better already. I was hungry when I got home, but instead of grabbing a handful of almonds like I've gotten in the habit of doing, I grabbed a glass of almond milk and will wait till dinnertime.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:13 am

Hi Sweetness,
Heartiest welcome back! I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your parents. That is a hard time of life and to have both so close together is a lit to get through, I'm sure.
I trust being back on NoS will give you good balance in this (food/eating) area of life as you continue to work through the grief and life settles into a "new normal".
I hope we will hear from you on the boards, and I look forward to that!
Best wishes.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:44 am

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you knew about no-s and that this is a good place to get support as you stabilize your eating habits.

Welcome back