Saying hello and in a pickle

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lolla2014

Saying hello and in a pickle

Post by lolla2014 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 am

Hi all

I'm on my second day of no S.(now on day 7) I was even a little hesitant to post (hence waiting 7 days lol) as I usually don't stick with things. I'm a classic yo-yo dieter. I have been on every diet under the sun. My past is of very disordered eating. I have gained then lost 30 kg and now have gained back 10 kg after I thought I was finally "free" from dieting. I'm a total diet extremist, its either starving or stuffing myself. No S seems so normal its nearly abnormal. I hope to gain a sense of normality through this and to just "be" without being totally consumed with what I eat or don't eat. I love reading all the posts on here they are extremely encouraging! I read one post about a girl that recovered from her binge eating disorder, that was really inspirational to me! One thing that I would really love to get feedback on is how many of you weigh yourselves?? I'm definitely using the habit cal but weighing myself is so ingrained in my psyche its hard to gauge what is normal and what is not in the area of weighing myself. I would really appreciate feedback on this. Thanks everyone!!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 am

Welcome!
Everyone here is an individual, and you'll find the range from "never weigh" to "weigh daily". The question is what does weighing do for you? If weight is just a piece of information / feedback, all good. If what you weigh determines how you feel for the day, what you will allow yourself to eat or not eat, wear or not wear, and impacts how you feel about No S that day, then perhaps daily weighing is not for you.

Personally, when I first started this process, I used to weigh daily and calculate a trend (I use the one from The Hacker's Diet webpage). This is because a daily weight as a single number is meaningless - it tells you a lot more about water moving through your body than fat being lost and gained.

More recently my scales broke and I couldn't be bothered getting a new set. I now check my weight once a week when I'm at the gym. Once every 6 months I'll weigh for a few days, take an average, and report that as my weight.

Good luck on your journey to sane eating - I'm a reformed yo-yo calorie counter and I can say that although it takes time, it really is worth it :)

lolla2014

Post by lolla2014 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:09 am

Hi Ironchef

Thanks so much for your reply! to answer your question honestly, I would have to say that it is the latter. The number on the scale definitely impacts on how I feel quite dramatically . I see the benefit in not weighing and just continuing on No S and just go by clothes looser etc. I feel my success is so determined by what I weigh I feel a little out of control if I don't but I guess change is always like that. I'm very much looking forward to sane eating and being free from the obsession! I like the idea of once a week like you do, perhaps I can start with that and see how that feels :)

Thanks again!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 am

Hi lolla2014, and welcome!
I too have a lot of weight losses and gains, the most recent has been over the past 2.5 yr, bouncing around in a 20 kg range. This is from travel, which has involved being on and off NoS. But when I'm on, I consistently and slowly lose weight. I don't weight when I'm traveling and gaining. When I'm back "on", I have a new-ish system for weighing, that I'm really happy with. Every week or 2, I weigh in the late afternoon at a friend's house who has a kg only scales. That way I have a number that has no emotional trigger for me (as I am used to thinking in lbs.). Sooooo... I track a number that has no meaning for me (you know, I've eaten 2 meals that day so it's not really my BODY weight) and I can track it in a notebook and watch it slowly go down. This has been very encouraging for me. I think it's good for me to track the direction and speed of weight change, but not to have a number that can trigger me one way or the other.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

lolla2014

Post by lolla2014 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 am

Hi Sonya

thanks for the warm welcome! yes I know what how you feel about the "bouncing" around a weight range that's for sure. that's such a great idea maybe I could switch my scales to lbs to weigh as I have such an attachment to a certain weight range and whether I'm within that on not tends to dictate how I feel about myself so changing the measurement to lbs would definitely take that out of the equation. I think I will only weigh in once a week. That seems to be a good start and using the habit cal. Congratulations on your weight loss on the No S system :)

noni

Post by noni » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

I weigh weekly. Being older and not too active, 2-3 meals a day may not be enough to keep my weight steady. My meal density or S-days can be intense, so weighing myself shows me where I am and what needs adjusting.

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 am

Hello pickle!

I mean Hello in a pickle!

I'm new here too. It's really hard to get out of the diet mentality and actually allow yourself food! But it will get better, or so I've heard! :lol:

Kudos to you!
Forget everything you learned!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Welcome!

I don't ever weigh myself (except at the doctor's office), but I feel like I use the fit of my clothes as a similar gauge. When I was younger, and my absolute fittest, I weighed exactly the same as what I had weighed two clothing sizes bigger because I had lost a lot of fat but gained a lot of muscle. The density of the muscle fit all of that weight in a smaller package :D

Now, I weigh about 5 pounds more, but am a couple of sizes bigger than my lowest. Since I've re-started with NoS, my biggest success has been being happier with my weight and how I look. I don't totally stress out about it like I used to and I don't really care as much about it - I mean, I would like to lose those 5 pounds...

Redrockin

Post by Redrockin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Welcome, Lolla2014. Wow, can I relate. If you look up my first post, it took me more than a month to post it because of fear. I have a relationship with my scale as well. Used to be, if I was down a pound or two, I'd have a cookie to celebrate. If I was up a pound or two, I'd have a cookie in despair. So I don't do it anymore.

lolla2014

Post by lolla2014 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:40 am

Hi everyone!

Thanks for replying!

Exactly shadowfairy! it seemed so strange the first few days to "allow" myself food and the thoughts of how can this work running through my head. Taking a breath and being patient has helped me a lot. Just so used to extremes with food and fast results (both gaining and losing weight) so this is def a new journey! :)

I feel ya there Redrockin! if the scale is up or down its permission to either beat up on myself or rejoice, its crazy when i think about how it can dictate my day and self worth

Hi aspencer27 yes i think thats great i have been using my clothes as a gauge which i find helpful. I have decided to weigh in each saturday morning. I lost 1kg. Of course that wasn't "good" enough but that was just irrational. I want this to be for life not just a 3 month challenge or something along those sorts. I would do that and regain the weight. Constantly yo-yo-ing. I have started weight training at the gym, was a cardio bunny only before so its nice to see changes and like you said the density of muscle in a smaller package :) I love that you feel happier about how you look! thats my goal! Even when i was super thin i still though i was fat!

Hi noni yep i have decided to weigh myself weekly like yourself.I printed out a habit cal to pop up on the wall to mark off the days, i find that is a really good motivator!!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 am

lolla2014 wrote: I lost 1kg. Of course that wasn't "good" enough but that was just irrational. I want this to be for life not just a 3 month challenge or something along those sorts. I would do that and regain the weight. Constantly yo-yo-ing.
Amazing Lolla, 1kg is pretty good. And I completely get what you mean with yo-yoing. I have a yo-yoing history as well and since starting NoS that has completely gone. I am in a +/-2kg range now with a steady downward trend. It's frustratingly slow but the difference in 2 years is amazing (just unearthed old photos of me!) and there is no yo-yoing.

So good for you - doing well!!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021