Hotel Room Edition

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
fwinter

Hotel Room Edition

Post by fwinter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Been thinking of sneaking an SG into the room whilst working away, but feel I might look like some kind of axe fiend - too weird.

Anyone get creative in the abscence of having an SG to hand?

fungus

Re: Hotel Room Edition

Post by fungus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 am

fwinter wrote:Been thinking of sneaking an SG into the room whilst working away, but feel I might look like some kind of axe fiend - too weird.
Isn't that what the 'glove' part of the shovel is for?

"It's just an old wooly jumper on a stick"

What we really need is a telescopic handle to make it small enough to fit in a suitcase.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm

I'll revert to 14 minutes of bodyweight exercises in situations like this (mostly pushups and squats, dips if I can find suitable furniture, jumping jacks, and if I completely run through everything else I can think of, the much loathed situps and crunches).

It's amazing how completely you can exhaust yourself in just few minutes with the simplest of exercises. Be careful with the squats, especially -- you won't be able to walk for the rest of the week if you overdo it (I speak from experience).

Though intense, such a routine is pretty boring compared to actual shovelglove. I'm always happy to get back home to my hammer.

Reinhard

koopa

Re: Hotel Room Edition

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm

fwinter wrote:Been thinking of sneaking an SG into the room whilst working away, but feel I might look like some kind of axe fiend - too weird.

Anyone get creative in the abscence of having an SG to hand?
I've brought my sledge to a hotel before. When walking into the hotel, I put my jacket over it, and then carry it close to me. It looks like I am just carrying my stuff with me, and make it safely into the hotel room.

I've done this several times. In the summer, a teeshirt works too. No one cares what you are doing when walking to your room, the idea is to not have it stand out too much.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 am

Burpees are a fast way to get a good workout in when you're sans sledgehammer.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 pm

I know I've seen free videos of cool bodyweight exercises that seem much more interesting than the traditional ones. Maybe not as functional as shovelglove moves, but they look like they'd be good for you! Seem especially good for men because they seem to take a lot of upper body strength. Adam Steer and Ryan Murdock are the names I remember. You don't have to buy their stuff to get some free looks at their work, or you didn't used to. Beats carrying a heavy hammer.

I also do one day a week in which I hold some positions for 45-90 seconds.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)