Sleepygirlzzzz - Daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Sleepy, love the self analysis. Good for you on picking up the crumbs and moving on.
Jonas, love your comments. 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm

It is officially one month since I last posted and have completely lost my way with No S. I feel very ashamed and embarrassed to have to admit to gaining 5-6lbs over the past few weeks.

I'm not exactly sure why I decided to take a break from No S. No S definitely improved my mental state but I suppose I just started to feel like I wanted to be able to eat like a 'normal' person again. I know that 'normal' is subjective but I remember a day when I felt fed up because I felt like going to the shop for a chocolate bar but couldn't because it wasn't the weekend. I just thought 'why shouldn't I be able to go buy a chocolate bar if I want to?!'. Also I wasn't losing any weight on No S but that is very likely down to my large plates and excessive S days. I suppose it's also annoying because although I've always been very health conscious, I've never had to really watch what I eat and I don't know what's changed.

Perhaps it's linked to having my second child (almost 3 years ago now) because I think it's been since then that I started to progressively gain weight. Or maybe it has to do with me becoming a stay-at-home mom and being at home (around food) more often.

Whatever the reason, I am now at the heaviest weight that I can remember (excluding pregnancy and immediately after) and it's not good. My clothes are tighter and I'm having to choose what clothes I wear based on how much it conceals my tummy (always where my weight shows the most). For the record, I'm just over 5 feet tall and am now weighing about 112-113lbs. My norm for the past few years has been about 105-109.

So what to do now? I'm going to give No S another try. But this time I'm going to pile my plates high with yummy salads and veggies rather than with pasta and bread. I daresay I may struggle with no sweets during the week as this was always my biggest downfall. Actually that's one thing I really disliked when I was on No S (which is my fault, I'm not blaming the system) - I hated the frantic, crazed feeling I would start to get on Thursday evening until Friday midnight when I was desperately waiting for the weekend to begin so I could eat sweets. I hated that desperate feeling. Not sure how to address this. Do I just wait it out and wait for time to hopefully cure this or should I make a mod to help me get through the tough times, at least initially? Considering allowing myself a few squares of 80-85% dark chocolate to help me through it. But then I know that vanilla No S is the ideal...

Enough talk, just time to get back with the program. Just wanted to get my thoughts down and my head in order. And what better time to re-start then at the beginning of the weekend! :D

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:25 am

I allowed myself extra dark chocolate for the first few months on week days. It helped me to establish habits.

You say you didn't lose on no S, but you also didn't gain, right? The weekends eventually do tame down some.

I wish you well!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey, Sleepy, how are you? Please know that I went through some rocky times where to the outside it wouldn't have looked like I was on No S at all, but it still happened.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)