Question for daily or sporatic checksters

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

heatherhikes

Question for daily or sporatic checksters

Post by heatherhikes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Hello y'all.
I am keeping a daily journal with a food log, and inspirational ideas, motivations and other helpful tips to myself. While spending a substantial amount of time on this each day and still having only mediocre results with NoS Vanilla as of late, I am considering a change.
Would some of you be so kind and tell me how helpful and in what way the regular check-ins have been for you?
Do some of you keep up with journaling at the same time?
I am trying to get my focus and "thought energy" away from the food; maybe more-less regular check ins would work better for me. Any input is much appreciated. :?

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm

I started off checking in every day, I find that the accountability helps and when I didn't check in or log for a while, I was having more and more red days.

I've recently switched to a weekly check in for some accountability and to record progress, but only providing a daily entry for a red day. I think it has a term... something about if you know you have to disclose a failure, that knowledge might help me make the decision not to fail!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 pm

milliem wrote:I started off checking in every day, I find that the accountability helps
I did exactly the same. I've never logged my food, as I got my fill of that on previous calorie counting diets. It also puts too much emphasis onto the food itself: is it "healthy", was it too much, etc. If it fits on a plate, I call it good and don't think about it until the next meal. The exception was for red days - I always document what made them red. I do keep track of colors in HabitCal.
I've recently switched to a weekly check in for some accountability and to record progress, but only providing a daily entry for a red day. I think it has a term... something about if you know you have to disclose a failure, that knowledge might help me make the decision not to fail!
Me too. With a small baby, I wasn't prepared to make time every day for posting (except right now when he's up and down all night so I get bored and post from my phone). It puts me off having a red day, partly from the hassle of having to document, and partly due to having to publicly acknowledge what I ate. It also really helps limit red day "damage". It's one thing to write "I had some marshmallows", it's quite another to say "after a couple of marshmallows, I went home and spent an hour face down in the pantry".

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

I do best if I check in on this site every day or two but I do not always post. Sometimes I just skim the "posts since your last visit" link. I was consistent with my habit cal too until recently. I hate logging anything so No S was the perfect choice for me.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Thank you for all your thoughtful suggestions, sharing from your personal experiences!

In my journal I have been logging loosely (:lol: ) the food items, sometimes the amount, never the calories. It has helped me in so far, as I can go back and see, for e.g., the number of meals over time, why I wouldn't lose weight, woke up the cookie monster, again, etc. I do enjoy the log but know that I need to wean myself off of it, but won't try to do something new before the holidays. The Dec challenge is all I can muster up right now.

I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.
Love and a peaceable time for all of us

Gepetto

Post by Gepetto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Heddi,

For me, the less thought I have to invest, the better. No S and associated habits are (becoming) just that for me - habits - things that govern my life in a more or less automatic fashion, so that I don't have to think about them.

As the father of a large and still young family, a full time career, volunteering, etc., I just don't have the mental cycles to spare. In previous (and failed) diets I've used journals, food logs, calorie-counting apps, measuring scales, measuring tapes, weight scales and accountability partners.

For me, the every-couple-of-days posting here on the daily board and reading through the successes of others is enough to help me build and maintain the habit. I wish you all the best as you find the right level of activity!
Start Date: 11/12/2012
Start Weight: 323 lbs.
Current Weight: 320 lbs.
Last Signature Update: 11/25/2012