plant based diet

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mrandy1

plant based diet

Post by Mrandy1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:36 pm

well i stumbled on the bill clinton interview with wolf blitzer in which wolf asks bill about his new diet....well bill lost 24 lbs going vegan....and he went vegan because his arteries were starting to clog up again...

anyway its a fascinating interview and he mentions two doctors --dean ornish and caldwell esselstyn... so i read their books...you tubed their videos..and on august 20th 2011 i went plant based----->no dairy, no meat, no chicken, no fish, no oils. i also stumbled on john mcdougall md and t. colin campbell who wrote the china study-----fascinating!!

what do i eat? lots of brown rice...whole wheat pasta....sweet potatos...frutis....green vegetables---that sort of thing.

i thought it would be hard! i thought it would be terrible!....BUT

it's great!!!!!!

august 20th 2011 weight 174
oct 15th 2011 weight 161

just freaking amazing!

anyone who is looking for motivation---check out the bill clinton wolf blitzer interview on his diet.
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:45 pm

I think a vegan diet is great, unless one is eating a lot if highly processed foods (fake mayonnaise, phony cheese, that sort of thing).

I'm a long time ovo-lacto vegetarian, myself.

There was a study out this week saying that if the world population kept growing at its current pace, we'd have to DOUBLE food production in the next fifty years. Much of this was attributed to the need to raise grains to feed livestock. A huge amount of food and energy is used to raise cows for beef. If humans could slow down in the beef-eating, the world food situation would be in better shape. (There are other challenges obviously, but the study made a point to mention that one.)