Well here I am...AGAIN

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nbh76

Well here I am...AGAIN

Post by nbh76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:21 pm

So I've lost a ridiculous amount of weight on my own. I had fifty more to go but was stalled so I turned to weight watchers however I've been dabbling with the NoS mentality for awhile. I have made some habits stick (exercise) and now I am just plain tired of worrying about counting anymore of my foods in any fricking form. My true self starts to fight it and I end up eating things I wouldn't normally eat. I am going to give myself up to the NoS way for the rest of the year. I'm not afraid of gaining just a little concerned about the loosing but I am now only 35 away from where I want to be and I've been on this road for 2 years now so.... HERE WE GO NOSDIET!!!!

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, I hope No S works well for you.

You may find that your weight loss slows down, but hopefully as you let go of previous diets you will start to find that you can relax more around food generally, enjoy it more and generally feel more sane in relation to food and eating.

No S hasn't given me a big loss in weight off the scales but it has helped me lose a great deal of weight off my shoulders.
When nothing goes right...go left.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:14 pm

THAT is exactly why I haven't been able to take the NoS plunge...the slowness everyone talks about. However When I look at how long it's taken me to get here ( just about two years ) I averaged it out THAT would have been considered slow too! I have been feeling lately like I'm letting these last pounds drag me down and make me feel like a failure esp. since going back to Weight Watchers this summer ( too much focus and competition). I don't need THAT mindset I need this one! (or a mind...LOL ......whatever comes first!)
Last edited by nbh76 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Also Skykitty I love what you said..

"No S hasn't given me a big loss in weight off the scales but it has helped me lose a great deal of weight off my shoulders."

I'm going to remember that when I want to go back to being crazy!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Welcome!

Here's my 2-cents...someone wrote here that what NoS teaches is maintenance first. That's part of why the weight loss is slow. I've done WW (as well as all sorts of other diets), but I never learned maintenance - not that I ever got to that point anyway...lol. BUT, this plan goes from weight loss to maintenance because there is no difference between the two! I'm losing slowly losing weight and at the same time I'm gaining the skills I need to eat this way the rest of my life.

Second...Have you read the NoS book yet? I think I've read it at least 5 times & I get something new out of it every time I do. If you haven't read it, it's definitely worth the very small investment.

Oh...third...welcome! This is a great forum for being supported & encouraged. I'm sure I'd be struggling more without this great group of people.

Hope you see you here often...Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 pm

determined wrote:Welcome!

Here's my 2-cents...someone wrote here that what NoS teaches is maintenance first. That's part of why the weight loss is slow. I've done WW (as well as all sorts of other diets), but I never learned maintenance - not that I ever got to that point anyway...lol. BUT, this plan goes from weight loss to maintenance because there is no difference between the two! I'm losing slowly losing weight and at the same time I'm gaining the skills I need to eat this way the rest of my life.

Determined
Welcome, nbh 76! I dont know If I would say No S is always slow weight loss, it depends on how you eat. I have lost quite a bit scince starting, and I have eaten some pretty big portions sometimes. But all in all, everyones different too.

Determined, that is a GREAT concept about Mantenience, but thats probably partly why it works so good for people!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:01 am

Best of luck!
No s has been fantastic for me. It is something I can do the rest of my life ...not just temporarily.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am

I agree with everyone..for me it has been slow, but that is okay...I have never gotten anywhere with any other diet..never reached goal on WW either.

I love the sanity of this way of life. I'm dealing with my S days as I am a binger trying to change her life..and N days are helping me tremendously with that.

I think when we all come to a place we realize we have had enough, we come back here to the sane place.

Hence why I have the turtle tracker....albeit slow, he always get's to his journey..
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:19 pm

so......
Last edited by nbh76 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Feeling pretty pumped about no s right now...also doing a 21 day challenge just because I LIKE A 21 DAY CHALLENGE...LOL...going to do a workout now and getting off this computer....I SAID I AM GETTING OFF THIS COMPUTER.....oh help.... :shock:

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm

NOS...

SLOWLY going strong...going for a walk with Frankie in this brisk fall air...yay I love fall.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Fall is my favorite season toooo....

Hope you enjoyed your walk and glad to see you are going strong!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:22 pm

I did enjoy my walk..THANK YOU!

Everyone have a great day...enjoy!
Kindness is the only way.

nbh76

Hmfff

Post by nbh76 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I am fed up with being fed up. I am going to NoS everyday except special occasions because I don't like this weekend thing at all. Also I think I will stop reading on this board for a bit because I don't want to read anymore things like not loosing/gaining etc. I feel like this should work... period. I don't want to have the negatives in my head. I want to embrace the freedom this has been giving me M-F days...I am also having snacks but my list for snack options is very small...has to be a fruit or yogurt. "My" Nos will be no sweets or junk except on days that start with S...there is a "sometimes" in there and I am going to give that a bigger role in this design. So have a great week everyone...I'm out for a bit.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 pm

"Sometimes" is important!