S day thoughts

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

S day thoughts

Post by Sweetness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Today, an S day for me I ate something I had not eaten for months -a burger and french fries. I ate half of a large 10 oz burger with cheese and most of the fries. I knew I would feel miserable afterward...my stomach still aches a little.My body is not used to so much unhealthy oil and fat. I did enjoy eating it, but I enjoy the feeling that healthy foods give me more. Hmmm I know how to eat healthy and know how good it makes me feel, but having no rules for the day made me want to break with my healthy eating patterns, already established. Do others have similar experiences?

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 pm

oops! I meant to post the previous on my daily check in, not start a new thread, I have no idea how to correct this.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Sweetness. Welcome to the daily check in. I think you will like it here. As to the answer to the question, yes, I for one eat healthy and when I splurge on an S day, I feel weighed down and yucky. I used to do it all the time on weekends and had Monday morning regret. But the good news is, I am doing it less. Feeling good feels so much better than breaking the rules just because I can.
Good luck.
I'm baaaack.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 pm

I also used to do this a lot. I would make a point of eating something really sweet or fatty, in a way it was almost to give myself a reminder through the week of what that bad feeling is like, to make it easier to stick to the plan.

I think I've mostly conquered that, and that's mostly just time. The more you follow the plan the more you get used to the idea that you don't need to go totally overboard every weekend just because you can. The next weekend is only 5 days away!
When nothing goes right...go left.