Bride's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bride

Bride's Daily Check In

Post by Bride » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 am

Okay, so I am admittedly a little discouraged already to try to start NoS again because I have consistently failed every time I've attempted any diet, including this one. Long story short, after a variety of types of abuse (including sexual and emotional) over the years, I've become a binge/compulsive eater. I thought I was doing better until the past month. I've gained almost thirty pounds in three months, the most I've weighed in almost three years. I know I need help and accountability, which is why I decided to start the thread. I hope this helps me to be consistent. :?
Not even married. But I have a Husband who rejoices over me. Isaiah 62:5

Colossians 2:20-3:4 is why I don't diet. Want my HEART to change. Doing NoS to learn discipline by His grace. Grace motivated effort. Not TO BE loved. But BECAUSE I'm loved.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:28 am

WELCOME BRIDE! ALL THE BEST TO YOU :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

determined

Post by determined » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:55 am

Hi Bride...

Welcome! I can absolutely identify with those feelings of discouragement. I've dieted & failed so many times in my life that I could never count them. I'm convinced No S is different. I followed this plan successfully a few years ago & then started getting discouraged...I'm finally back to make this work.

Have you read the book? Sometimes going back to that & reading it again is really helpful.

Again...welcome...I hope to see you here often....Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Saturday and Sunday: S days

Monday: Sort of a failure? I was at an orientation that had cookies, and I ate one without even remembering I wasn't supposed to! Will have to try to remember :(. I don't feel badly about it, though.

Colossians 2:20-3:4 is why I don't diet. Want my HEART to change. Doing NoS to learn discipline by His grace. Grace motivated effort. Not TO BE loved. But BECAUSE I'm loved.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Welcome Bride :)

It might help if you try and view NoS as something other than a diet - more like an 'eating style'.... after all, it's not something that you do until you lose a set amount of weight and then just go back to eating cake for breakfast every day! *edited to add* I'm not implying you would by the way, just that if I could get away with it, I would.... but that's not the point of NoS.

Tomorrow is a new day, good luck with it :)

Bride

Post by Bride » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 am

Today: Success.

It's definitely been hard, especially after dinner. I want to keep on eating a few hours later, but I didn't today. Hope it gets easier!

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Yesterday: Success! Wish we had a dancing emoticon.

It was definitely hard resisting those brownies, though. They are my weak place for sure.

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 am

Today marks my seventh day on the No-S diet! I can't believe it's been that long already! It helps that two of those days were S's :).

Day 6: Success!
Day 7: Success!

It's still hard because it's been a pattern SO long, but I am seeing how much more enjoyable food is becoming to me because of this. I see it as the gift I should to be had in moderation, at certain times, for certain occasions, under certain circumstances. Weird how the adjustment can revolutionize so much about not just our thoughts, but our inner attitudes and perceptions of food and its intended purpose.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:14 am

Well done on your success so far Bride, I know for a lot of people the importance of No S is the sanity it gives you in a better approach to food, more than a number on a scale. For me it's got to the point where I almost feel relieved after an S weekend, relieved to be back to N days and eating normally, what has become normal to me, again.

Congratulations on resisting the brownies, its these small triumphs which help remind us that we can do it, and of course you can still have brownies, on an S day :D
When nothing goes right...go left.

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

SkyKitty, exactly! Thanks for your encouragement :)

Bride

Post by Bride » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Day 8 (yesterday): Success!
Day 9-10 will be S days.

Bride

Post by Bride » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Day 11: Success

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 am

Awesome green happening here! I just found No S a couple months ago and already feel like a new person, not that I'm losing weight, but right now I'm enjoying the sanity of it all...

Keep on :mrgreen:
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Bride

Post by Bride » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Day 12 (8-23-11): For a friend's birthday party, I made this an S day. Kind of nice having 3 S days, but the sugar I ate just made me feel sick, actually.
Last edited by Bride on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bride

Post by Bride » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Awesome green happening here! I just found No S a couple months ago and already feel like a new person, not that I'm losing weight, but right now I'm enjoying the sanity of it all...

Keep on :mrgreen:
Thanks, NoSnacker! I haven't weighed myself recently to know if I've lost weight, but like you, I feel more sane! I feel some level of self-control, which is fantastic.

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 am

Day 13 (8-24-11) Success!

And my weight is about 139 now. Started around 145.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 am

Wow this is great...you lost a good amount of weight for just starting..way to go...I'm still at a standstill but that is okay, not gaining :)..

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Wow this is great...you lost a good amount of weight for just starting..way to go...I'm still at a standstill but that is okay, not gaining :)..
Haha, yeah, but I seem to fluctuate a lot!! I wonder sometimes if I need a new scale because it's so screwy.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Every time we use the toilet, our weight fluctuates.

Just sayin' ...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Who Me? wrote:Every time we use the toilet, our weight fluctuates.

Just sayin' ...
This is true, one day could be 2lbs more than the last...last time I got on I liked the number so now I'll stay off for a bit :).

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

LOL!!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Day 14 (8-25-11): Success!

Yesterday was super hard. I wanted my Double Chocolate Chip from Starbucks. But I held out for the weekend :)

It's now been TWO WEEKS!! Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

U R doing great!!

Post by Sweetness » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Bride,

This is really amazing, you say you were a binge eater and you are doing so well for 2 weeks. You inspire me. I'm just starting and I'm really liking it. Look at all your success, and keep it up!!

Love your verses too,
Patty

Bride

Re: U R doing great!!

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Sweetness wrote:Bride,

This is really amazing, you say you were a binge eater and you are doing so well for 2 weeks. You inspire me. I'm just starting and I'm really liking it. Look at all your success, and keep it up!!

Love your verses too,
Patty
Sweetness, it has been a lifelong battle, an enemy that lies and deceives but cannot make good on its promises. I praise God for helping me for the past two weeks! It is His love that motivates me to change.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't know how to do the quote thingy, but I just love what you wrote. HIS love motivates me too! You're doing awesome!

Bride

Post by Bride » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:24 am

Day 15 (8-26-11): Success

It was a tough one! Friday nights are hard because that's when I wanna call it quits for sure! But I made it through.

Day 16 (8-27-11): S-day. I actually didn't take much advantage of my S-day. I felt like I ate pretty wisely. I did have some seconds, but they were small, even to the point of my family telling me I should eat more. And I had a Klondike bar. Never overate or felt too full. Was so great!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:05 am

Bride wrote:I actually didn't take much advantage of my S-day. I felt like I ate pretty wisely. I did have some seconds, but they were small, even to the point of my family telling me I should eat more. And I had a Klondike bar. Never overate or felt too full. Was so great!
Wow now this is great and inspires me...I'm a binge eater and always starts if I have a snack...which I ended up doing yesterday.

Today I hope for a day like you had yesterday... :D

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Day 17 (8-28-11): S-day

Had a few sweets, but limited myself because I knew they'd make me feel pretty sick.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Sounds like a wonderful S day weekend!!!!

Bride

Post by Bride » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Day 18 (8-29-11): Success!

All went well! Cooked dinner for others and wasn't tempted to eat during the prep stage, which has always been a challenge. It was worth the wait.

Enjoying the freedom.

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Day 19 (8-30-11) Success

Day 20 (8-31-11) I was sick, so I didn't really do No-S. I wasn't hungry enough at one point of the day to actually eat meals, so I did more of a light snack here and there. Then, by dinner, I was hungry enough for a meal with birthday cake. I guess I could could consider it an "S-day". I feel kind of bad for eating as much sweets as I did on a day that wasn't supposed to be an S-day. I know I was sick, but still. Trying not to dwell on it. Not sure what to consider it-- a failure, a success, a non-day, whatever! Trying not to get caught up in labels!

Day 21 (9-1-11) Today marks my THREE WEEKS on NoS! Success! It has definitely become more natural now. The problem I have had for the past few days is having salads for meals. Usually, I am good eating a salad of greens, chicken, and some dressing, but on NoS, it is NOT working out. Anyone else had this problem? It doesn't fill me up enough, especially when it's my dinner. I need to rethink how to go about eating salads and really strive to make my meals "count." This is where I think I'm doing the worse and why it's sometimes harder to want to stick to the pattern.

Bride

Post by Bride » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 am

Day 22 (9-2-11) Success

Day 23 (9-3-11) S-day. I made it past Friday this time! It was hard, but today was pretty good. Extra piece of pizza. Icecream. Mmm.

I am also posting my decision here in advance for the upcoming holiday weekend:
I am actually going to make tomorrow, Sunday, a non-S day because of my sick day earlier. I am also not going to make Monday, Labor Day, an S-day. So only one S-day this week, which was today. Got my fill of sugar, so I don't even think I'll want it the rest of the weekend. I'm sure by Thursday, though, I'll be feelin' it!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Bride wrote:Day 19 (8-30-11) Success

The problem I have had for the past few days is having salads for meals. Usually, I am good eating a salad of greens, chicken, and some dressing, but on NoS, it is NOT working out. Anyone else had this problem? It doesn't fill me up enough, especially when it's my dinner. I need to rethink how to go about eating salads and really strive to make my meals "count." This is where I think I'm doing the worse and why it's sometimes harder to want to stick to the pattern.
I usually eat my salads at lunch and dinner I have a good meal that will keep me satisfied. Salad digests too fast in my tummy.

Are the salads satisfying? If we force ourselves to eat healthy it can back fire...have some mashed potatoes and a nice steak....

After years of dieting, we tend to gravitate towards diet foods..

Just my assumption of course..Have something good for dinner!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Well done on a brilliant week!

I normally don't feel satisfied with just a salad, although I do love them - they just don't fill me up for long enough to get to my next meal without being overly hungry. I would usually have something with the salad, either a bread roll if I wanted carbs, or maybe a yoghurt and some extra fruit. Or I'd make sure there is a lot in the salad - a huge plateful of just green salad leaves just wouldn't fill me up, I'd need chicken and avocado and maybe egg as well as a bunch of different veggies!

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:03 am

Okay, I'm back! It's nice having a long weekend.

So, I totally FAILED to do either of the things I set out to do from my previous post for Day 24 and 25! I made both Sunday AND Monday S-days, which I guess technically, I was "allowed" to do, but it wasn't what I intended. Was discouraged for a day or two.

Days 26 (9-6-11), 27 (9-10-11), and 28 (9-8-11), however, have all been successes :).

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:07 am

Bride
So, I totally FAILED to do either of the things I set out to do from my previous post for Day 24 and 25! I made both Sunday AND Monday S-days, which I guess technically, I was "allowed" to do, but it wasn't what I intended. Was discouraged for a day or two.
Hi, we really shouldn't be too hard on ourselves about the S days..

Discouragement is our worst enemy when trying to succeed...

I never intend for my weekends to be so crazy and some day they won't but WOW the weekdays are full of sanity and I love that...

Weekends I'm a work in progress..

You seem like me a perfectionist..because you switched up a day does not make you a failure..not at all.....girl, don't let those old diet thoughts creep in telling you that you failed..you did not..

Here's to better thoughts for you..cheer cheer... :lol:

I changed my scripture message below just for you and a reminder to myself..

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Bride wrote:Okay, I'm back! It's nice having a long weekend.

Days 26 (9-6-11), 27 (9-10-11), and 28 (9-8-11), however, have all been successes :).
Hang in there! No such thing as a failed S day! Yay for the greens!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:00 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Bride
Hi, we really shouldn't be too hard on ourselves about the S days..

Discouragement is our worst enemy when trying to succeed...

I never intend for my weekends to be so crazy and some day they won't but WOW the weekdays are full of sanity and I love that...

Weekends I'm a work in progress..

You seem like me a perfectionist..because you switched up a day does not make you a failure..not at all.....girl, don't let those old diet thoughts creep in telling you that you failed..you did not..

Here's to better thoughts for you..cheer cheer... :lol:

I changed my scripture message below just for you and a reminder to myself..
Thanks for all of the encouragement! That verse is so precious to me, too.

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Had a pretty great weekend! Friday was the hardest, as usual, but I made it through.

Day 29 (9-9-11): Success
Day 30 (9-10-11): S-day
Day 31 (9-11-11): S-day

A month of No-S!! :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Bride wrote:A month on No-S!! :)
How cool is that..a month on No-S and you are doing fabulous!!!!

Yes, we have to remember not to allow condemnation in our lives.

Let's bask in God's Grace!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

You are doing great!

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm

NoSnacker wrote:
Bride wrote:A month of No-S!! :)
How cool is that..a month on No-S and you are doing fabulous!!!!

Yes, we have to remember not to allow condemnation in our lives.

Let's bask in God's Grace!
I just thought I would check on you and I agree you are doing wonderful!! I'm proud of you. Keep it up!!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:21 am

Okay, guys, so I didn't update you once all week! But thankfully, I kept track of everything and I'm so excited to tell you about my week. Here's what happened:

Day 32 (9-12-11)- My first real failure! I came home rather emotional about some circumstances in my life, and I chose to resort to eating a (quite delicious) pumpkin muffin from Starbucks as an escape. This is a pattern from my old ways, and I was a bit discouraged to see it resurface, but SO encouraged that there is so much hope for me still! I didn't despair or plunge in to binging. So a failure, but not a defeat.

The rest of my week looked like this:

Day 33 (9-13-11)- Success
Day 34 (9-14-11)- Success
Day 35 (9-15-11)- Success
Day 36 (9-16-11)- Success

Yay!! Okay, but the part I am really excited to tell you about is actually my S-days. Here's what happened yesterday and today:

Day 38 (9-17-11)- S-day... that I didn't use!!! I ate absolutely normally on this S-day, not to make up for the failure on Monday, either! Just because that's what I felt like doing. I didn't want seconds or snacks. I didn't even want sweets. I just went to bed pretty satisfied with what I had eaten for the day. So cool!

Day 39 (9-18-11)- S-day... that made me sick!!! So, today, I ate rather normally. I skipped breakfast and had seconds for lunch. I had a normal dinner, too. We had company over, so we had some sweets-- chocolate cake-cookies and a lemon cake. I had one cookie and felt great! It was totally worth it. But then, I ate a second, and I didn't feel so great anymore. Partly out of duty and partly out of desire, I ate a small slice of the lemon cake and that put me over the edge! I could FEEL the sugar in my body, and it wasn't appealing at ALL! Normally, I could eat that way more than that amount of sweets and not feel too bad, but it made me feel absolutely gross. I think this is a good thing :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am

Just stopping by, you are doing so well!! Keep that green streak going!
blessings, :P
Patty
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 am

Wow, guys, I have been gone for WAAAY too long! But don't worry; it's not because I fell off the bandwagon and went back to my old ways. Instead of showing you what each and every single day has looked like I'll make it one quick read:

Days 40-57 (9-19-11 to 10-6-11):

SUCCESS!!!

No, I'm NOT lying! It's been going SO well! It's like it was just meant to be this way! I don't feel odd anymore at all not eating between meals or reserving my sweets for the weekends. It just seems right. I'm almost up to three full months of No-S, and I am starting to see progress in my behaviors/desires (pushing away food on S-days) and in my weight. I am currently down to 135 or so. When I first started, my scale read 155, but my scale was definitely a little screwy, so if I had to guess, I was probably around 145-150 at the start. So, anywhere from 10-15 pounds lighter! Somehow! I don't know how!!!

The weight will now come off a lot more slowly since 135 was my normal weight BEFORE all of that gaining a few months ago. But let's give it a shot!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:58 am

Gosh, it is great to hear your good news!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:08 am

Good for you! keep it up!! I love hearing this! :mrgreen:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:54 am

Well! I've been gone for an entire month.

I went home for a visit last month, and it threw NoS out the window, and then I never got back on it. :(

I am going back home tomorrow, too, so I know I need to get back to the groove of things. Need accountability and some encouragement, so I'm back to posting! :) I know I do better when I post daily, so I'm aiming for that again.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Bride...

Nice to see you posting again...I do better when I'm here often too. Getting back on track is so hard...but you can do this!

Go for it!!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:00 am

You can do it! :mrgreen:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Wow, picked a busy time to try to be posting regularly, but now I'm going to do it!!

Monday (Day Whatever): Success! It's good to be back. I had to eat four times instead of three, though, because I was so hungry!

Tuesday: Success! I was SO hungry all day, though. Being back on NoS has been good (sanity is returning), but my stomach's not yet used to only eating at meals. Probably be good by the end of the week.

And today... good so far ;)

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Wednesday, November 30: Success

Went well. I feel so much better.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:08 am

Welcome back and good for you on three green days in a row!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 am

Wednesday was a Success.

Thursday was NOT. have no good excuse. Just wanted sweets. Sigh! It's hard starting over.

Friday: Success, despite a really emotional day, which is good because that's often a reason I drift into binging.

Saturday: First S-day back and oh my goodness, did I take advantage of it. Had way too many doughnuts, plus some ice cream, plus a hot chocolate. Doesn't even feel good. Hopefully will regulate and balance out a bit soon.

Giving myself grace because I know God does :). Really want to keep going!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 am

You are doing great, 4 out of 5 is success!! :mrgreen:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Monday-Wednesday: Success!

Thursday: Took an S-day today for my Christmas party at work :)

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 am

Well, hello, all! It's been quite awhile. I'm going to start posting again here :)

Bride

Post by Bride » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:57 am

So far, so good. Enjoyed my brownie today :). Now back to N-days.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:34 am

welcome back
:mrgreen:
Patty

Bride

Post by Bride » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 am

All going well so far! Had a good weekend. Hoping for a good week, too.