Jean's new check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Jean's new check in

Post by r.jean » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I have decided to start a new check in because I feel like I am entering a new phase. The first 4 months was a learning phase, and I lost 23.4 lbs...a little over 10% of my weight. Now I am entering what I will call the settling in phase. I am settling in for the long haul.
MONTH 1: -7.8 lbs
MONTH 2: -7.4 lbs
MONTH 3: -0 lbs (BUT NO GAIN!)
MONTH 4: -8.2 lbs
MONTH 5: -5.4 lbs
MONTH 6: -1.8 lbs
MONTH 7: -3.6 lbs
MONTH 8: -4.0 lbs
MONTH 9: -2.2 lbs
MONTH 10: -1.6 lbs
MONTH 11: -0.2 lbs
MONTH: 12: -2.8 lbs
Total 1 year loss: 45 lbs
Last edited by r.jean on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:34 pm

that's fantastic! & very motivating!

slowly but surely this NO S diet brings very powerful life-lasting results!

it is a simple yet brilliant system!
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:37 pm

I posted a red on habit cal today. It was not a big failure, but I just cannot call today a successful day. I had lunch with a friend and let her choose the spot. We went to a smorgasboard where you walk through a line, and they give you each choice on a separate little plate. Portion control is difficult that way and after lunch I pretty much knew I had exceeded my virtual plate.

Supper tonight was not much better. I ate leftovers from Easter, and they were so good that I ate a big plate full.

Easter was the biggest eating day that I have had in months.

The good in the middle of all this bad is that my excesses in the last 2 days are still less than the amounts I would have eaten before I started No S.

Back on track tomorrow. :mrgreen:

gk

Re: Jean's new check in

Post by gk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:35 am

r.jean wrote:I lost 23.4 lbs...a little over 10% of my weight.
That is awesome! You are doing great! :D

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Wowie! Good for you!

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 am

I seem to want to eat everything in sight this week but other than Monday, I have stuck with Vanilla No S. Thanks for the encouragement, I need it during weeks like this!!! :mrgreen:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 am

I am on call this weekend and yesterday was a busy day. I did not eat much during the day but overdid it after dinner with some chips and salsa and Easter candy. For some reason, Easter has been my toughest holiday to get beyond.

I am sure I am still doing well enough to maintain so all is good. I want to lose this month, but I will settle for not gaining.

Hopefully today will be a milder S day. The day has started out well with 4.5 miles under my belt so far I did a 3 mile walk/jog at 37:26 and 1.5 miles at 29 minutes walking the dog.

Maintenance is progress!

gk

Post by gk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 am

I am always so impressed with those who have such a busy schedule and still manage to fit in the all-important exercise. Way to go!!

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Wed May 04, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks gk!!

I am in the exercise mode right now, but I go through phases. The positive comments help me to keep going! I also did the April Challenge which I found pushed me, but I was glad when April was over. I do not like to be committed to doing any type of journalling on a daily basis. The habit cal calendar is enough!!

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 am

This has kind of been a strange week. I was on call last weekend folllowed by half the week off and half the week out of town for training. I treated a friend to a spa day and lunch for her birthday and then took my husband along on my training trip. Tomorrow we go home.

I have exercised like crazy since I was off early in the week and made sure to jog/walk in preparation for a Mother's Day 5K. Now I am in the big city where you walk everywhere because there is no parking. I have no doubt that I walked at least 10 miles yesterday and at least 7-8 miles today.

I have also been no S compliant even if I am eating out 3 meals a day right now. I did eat leftovers for breakfast from the night before, and ate stuff from the grocery store for one meal. However, the key is I have had no snacks and no sweets.

My alcohol calendar is not looking so good with 2 yellows and 2 reds. oops

gk

Re: Month 5

Post by gk » Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 am

r.jean wrote:I have exercised like crazy since I was off early in the week and made sure to jog/walk in preparation for a Mother's Day 5K. Now I am in the big city where you walk everywhere because there is no parking. I have no doubt that I walked at least 10 miles yesterday and at least 7-8 miles today.

I have also been no S compliant even if I am eating out 3 meals a day right now. I did eat leftovers for breakfast from the night before, and ate stuff from the grocery store for one meal. However, the key is I have had no snacks and no sweets.
You are doing so great! I find it so hard to stick to a diet when my schedule is all out of sorts. Sounds like your week has definately been that way, but you've stuck to it. And the exercise - wow! :)

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 pm

I got my bicycle out today. I am pretty sure that I did not get it out last summer at all except maybe to move it around to get something out of the garage. :mrgreen: I put on my helmet and the foam stuff has gotten kind of gross and it left black stuff on my forehead. :roll: Hmmmm.

I rode around in the neighborhood for a couple of miles without a helmet. That was enough to start because it was harder than I thought.

I bought a new helmet. Maybe that will give me the incentive to get it out of the garage again.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Month 5

Post by r.jean » Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Hmmm. I am going to have to post a red today. I had a hungry day today and I overate at lunch without even thinking. Every once in awhile this happens. I eat seconds without even thinking.

I could probably justify this slip by saying that I could have fit all that food on a plate if I piled it up. However, it is more important to recognize how easy it is to slip into old habits and mark it down as a red.

I am still hungry so I am thinking supper may be a bit of a big plate too.

I did the 3 mile WATP dvd with extra arm work, and I walked the dogs out in the heat so I do not feel so bad about the slip.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Re: Month 5

Post by gk » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm

r.jean wrote:I got my bicycle out today. I am pretty sure that I did not get it out last summer at all except maybe to move it around to get something out of the garage. :mrgreen: I put on my helmet and the foam stuff has gotten kind of gross and it left black stuff on my forehead. :roll: Hmmmm.

I rode around in the neighborhood for a couple of miles without a helmet. That was enough to start because it was harder than I thought.

I bought a new helmet. Maybe that will give me the incentive to get it out of the garage again.
A few months ago on vacation, I rode a bike for the first time since I was in high school!! (I'm almost 40 now.) It was funny how the roles reversed....of course, I was a little wobbly, so my kids were riding their bikes by me, giving me encouragment, saying "You can do it, Mom!". Too funny!

I must admit it did feel good to be on a bike again. Hope you are enjoying yours. 8)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat May 14, 2011 1:23 am

I have not managed to get my bike out again but I am determined to make myself do it. I live close enough to work to ride my bike in good weather and with gas prices like they are, it is silly not to do it. How many times can you save money and burn calories at the same time?

It is one week until my monthly weigh in. Exercise has been good. Food choices have been so so. I am hoping for a small loss.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat May 14, 2011 1:59 am

Cycling is great exercise, and easier on the knees than running or jogging! (Of course, the first couple of days can be brutal, but it gets easier so quickly!)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat May 14, 2011 12:58 pm

You are so right about saving money on gas and burning calories at the same time! I need to get a big basket on my bike so I can ride it to the commissary instead of driving......

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 am

Two days to weigh in. I do not expect much this month because I had a great loss last month of 8.2 lbs. I am sure I have at least lost a couple of pounds, and I am definitely feeling my fitness level going up. I have been doing the May Challenge which is once again keeping me on track with exercise.

My No S habits are becoming more and more ingrained, and I am here to stay. I have no idea why No S is working for me when nothing else has, but I am loving it! I hope everyone else finds equal success!
Maintenance is progress.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 am

Do you have a rack on the back fender of your bike? You can mount removable pannier baskets to them.

I had something like this for ages. Folded flat and had a decent shoulder strap for carrying around. Great size for groceries.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for the bike carrier idea Who Me! I do have a rack but I rarely use it. I usually just use a small back pack but that does not always work. It also can get hot.

I have not ridden my bike to work yet because I have been working at an office 30 miles out. That assignment is over at the end of next week so I need to get myself prepared for the 3 1/2 mile ride to the local office. It is easy in the morning with little traffic and a big downhill. I have to psych myself up for 5 pm when the traffic is heavy and it can be hot and it is uphill.

Got to get psyched up!!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

MONTH 6

Post by r.jean » Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 am

I AM ECSTATIC!
MONTH 5 WEIGH IN TODAY; 5.4 LB LOSS.
TOTAL LOSS IN 5 MONTHS IS 28.8 LBS.
MORE THAN I EXPECTED THIS MONTH BUT EXERCISE HAS BEEN GOOD.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 am

That's awesome, Jean! Congrats on your great work paying off!

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat May 21, 2011 4:10 am

That's fantastic! Good for you!!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 am

Today is an example of why I do not weigh in daily or even weekly. I just came off of a fun S weekend, nothing outrageous, but I enjoyed myself. I am sure the scale would have been up. Then today, I had a definite red day. I thought about calling it an NWS, but it was really just a plain old red day.

It started with a potluck lunch at work to celebrate our group as we go through some organizational changes. I decided to just eat and enjoy this last week before our move. I had a large plateful of food which might have been technically okay, but I followed it up with cake. Then my husband made supper, and it was a big meal.

Again, I am glad my monthly weigh in was three days ago, and I do not have another one for awhile. :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 am

You are a super star!!! So inspiring. Keep it up!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed May 25, 2011 1:43 am

Just read your journal and am very inspired. You are doing great, glad to see that you love incorporating exercise, so do I. That's actually the easiest part for me, easier than passing up the snacks :roll:

Keep up the good work !
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! It always helps. Like Strawberry Roan, I think the exercise is essential because I still love to eat. If I cut back on exercise, I would need to cut back on food. No Way!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat May 28, 2011 2:50 pm

I had to post a red yesterday on my Habit Cal for No S and use a yellow exempt day on my exercise calendar. But I did not mean to.....

I started out my day getting up late and only doing a quick 10 minute walk with the dog and not my usual morning exercise. Then in the evening, it was raining and I was on call and it was a busy evening. Again, the quick 10 minute walk with the dog (with my phone plastered to my ear) was all I got. (30 minutes is my minimum and I allow myself one exempt day a week if needed)

Food wise, I started out with my normal breakfast and forgot we were having breakfast at work. Our new coworkers at our new office put this together to welcome our team. We were displaced by the closing of our smaller rural office. There is no way that I could not eat. I did keep the amount reasonable and then only had an apple for lunch. I was thinking of calling it a green day, but then came supper. My daughter brought over carry out, and I had already eaten a bagel and cream cheese. I ate the carry out anyway. Again, I ate a reasonable amount, but really?? I could not justify two slips in one day.

Even though this was a red day, it makes me smile to think that this is still a fantastic success day compared to the way I was eating 6 months ago.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 am

I am super stressing out right now. In a few days, I am leaving the country for about 2 1/2 weeks on a working vacation of sorts, and I am not ready. I have so much to get ready. This is my first long trip since I started No S. The great thing is, I am completely relaxed about food on this trip. I think I will probably lose weight because I will be in a super hot climate with little or no access to air conditioning and will be away from processed foods. However, I would settle for staying even for the month.

My focus right now is to stay No S compliant until I leave even if I am filling my plates more and having a few beers here and there. :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

Gonna miss ya. Have a great trip! You will do wonderful!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks tobiasmom! I will be checking out everyone's posts when I return and hope to see everyone here and doing well. I had my last day at work today and now two days to get ready. Then it is a two day car, plane, bus, and then boat journey just to get there....then two weeks of work and two days back. I have done my fair share of traveling, but nothing quite like this. I am so happy that I have 5 1/2 months of No S under my belt before doing this. I feel much more fit and ready.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

I had to visit the forum and send off one last post before leaving tomorrow. I have gotten a good start to June with walk/jogs every day at a pace that is getting better. I am not sure what will happen to my jogging goals while I am gone, but I am sure there will be a lot of walking....more than enough to meet my half hour a day exercise goal. Food should not be a problem either since we will eat all meals as a group and everything is pretty much straight from the land or water to the cooks and then to your plate.

I went ahead and weighed myself today, and I am one pound down for the month. (Last weigh in 5/20.) I have been enjoying some good meals and eating out a lot this week so not bad at all! I will weigh on 6/20 when I get back.

Walk/Jog Log
6/1: 2 miles: 23:15
6/2: 2 miles: 23:30
6/3: 2 miles: 23:15
Maintenance is progress.

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Good luck on your travels and HAVE FUN. You sure deserve it after all your hard work. We will be here when you get back!!!
:lol:
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 am

I am back. It has been an incredible 16 days. I spent the last two weeks on a (volunteer) working vacation in the rain forests of Guatemala. Today just happens to be my monthly weigh in, and I managed a 1.8 lb loss this month. The No S habits I have developed served me well. I did not consciously track anything, but looking back, I was still avoiding sweets, snacks, and seconds when I could.

The challenges:
It was difficult to get any formal exercise, but we were on foot all the time and the area was hilly.
We ate in restaurants 3 meals a day.
Although there were many fruits and vegetables available, we had to be careful which ones we chose to eat.
Meals tended to be high fat and high carb.
Sugary drinks tended to be the norm, and to stay hydrated, we took what was offered. We drank bottled water a lot but that was not available all the time.
Although we ate in restaurants, choices were limited.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Way to keep with the habits you've developed! But it's back to reality now, huh?! ha. I'm sure you're glad to be home. But it sure sounds like great fun!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:18 pm

First time browsing here. You are an inspiration to us all. I can't believe losing weight on a work/vacation. On to the next month. Can't wait to see what progress you make this month.
I'm baaaack.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks for the good words Pangelsue and Tobiasmom! It helps to have encouragement to stay on track.

You are so right Tobiasmom. It is back to reality. Today was pretty easy because I was too busy to think much about food. Fitting in exercise was the hard part. I eked out 30 minutes of walking. One day at a time!!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 pm

So reality is here. I went back to work today. I resumed my No S habit calendar and my exercise on Monday, but not my alcohol calendar. I was still off work Monday and Tuesday and I just kept that exempt for vacation until today. (My goal on that calendar is to drink 2 days or less a week.)

I am pretty hungry right now but have not slipped yet. Off to dinner. It is nice to be back and to have the support of reading this board each night and doing my habit cal.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 pm

I did a 5K today and it was a hard one with hills, humidity, and heat. I did fine but did not do much the rest of the day. :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 pm

I got back from vacation late on Sunday, 6/19 but did not go back to work until Wednesday, 6/22. So this week is my first full week, and it is dragging. I have so many little things to catch up on at home and work, and I just feel like being lazy. My exercise and No S plan have met minimum compliance standards but not much more.

The weather is beautiful so why do I feel so much in a rut?
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:02 am

TOMORROW IS A NEW MONTH! HERE'S TO A GREAT JULY! :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:52 am

r.jean wrote:TOMORROW IS A NEW MONTH! HERE'S TO A GREAT JULY! :mrgreen:
Yeah, who says we have to wait for a new year for a clean slate?? I say each month is a fresh start! Enjoy these warm temps! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:22 pm

I usually gain weight in the summer. I love the summer get togethers with beer, brats, burgers, etc. The beauty of it this summer is that I can enjoy all of that and not feel guilty. I may not lose as much during the summer months eating these foods, but I am being restrained enough not to gain. I go back to my mantra, "MAINTENANCE IS PROGRESS."

Like some others whose posts I am reading, I have settled in for the long haul. The weight loss will happen when it happens. I have been blessed to find the happy medium. I continue to lose; yet, I do not feel overly deprived. I suspect that I am also blessed with a decent metabolism.

I have continued daily walks of a minimum of 2.5 miles until my sore back clears up. Then I hope to start jogging again.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:46 pm

I just LOVE this post. That's what No-S is all about. We are in this for the long haul together! The weight WILL come off eventually....but in the meantime, let's enjoy the ride!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 am

In spite of the holiday weekend, I did not have any S events until the end of the day yesterday. I ate a fair amount but was still within the rules most of the day. In the evening, I decided to eat some ice cream my daughter had left here. We had gone out for dinner and hunger was not involved. I felt really over full afterwards and regretted it. Lesson learned for next time.

745 pm: So my lesson was not learned. I spent today eating generous meals and then topped it off at the end with a couple of small brownies. Once again, I felt overly full after that and regretted it. I did get a lot of exercise today though... :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 pm

The eating continues...
I have been off this week due to family matters, and today I fell off of the No S wagon. I have already eaten 3 times today, and we are eating with family in a couple hours. Hmmmm.

I thought of making this a NWS day, but it really is a red day. I had no real excuse for eating so much today.

later:
I finished out the day better than expected with just a salad and some garlic bread for supper instead of pigging out on spaghetti and dessert (even though I had already blown it.)
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I decided to drop down to 2 calendars today. No S and exercise. The no alcohol calendar really seems to have no impact on my alcohol consumption. The goal was to have two floating S days each week to drink alcohol. However, my drinking is sporadic and does not fit a certain pattern. I drink more in the summer when a cold beer on a hot day tastes good. I drink less in the winter when it is cold. Keeping the calendar does not really impact my habits. If I want a beer I have one. So.....maybe this is a habit that I am not really ready to change, and the calendar is gone.

I have naturally decreased how much I drink when I do drink just like I have decreased how much I eat. However, I do not feel a need to put in a drink ceiling because that is not a huge issue for me.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:52 pm

You're doing GREAT, r.jean! Sorry I haven't posted for a while - just wanted to say well done on your current weight loss. I enjoyed reading your latest posts and hope you had a good time in Guatemala, even though it was a working holiday.

Have a great Sunday too!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 am

Sounds like you have a fairly moderate attitude to alcohol anyway, I guess if you don't need to monitor it then it is a bit of a waste of time!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:48 am

Well done on not splurging on your red day!

I think I'm in a similar place to you with alcohol consumption - I've never felt the need to track or 'control' my drinking because it happens so sporadically. I might go a few weeks without an alcoholic drink, or I might have a cider one evening and a couple of glasses of wine another. Last night I had one too many glasses hehe, but it happens very rarely. Hooray for moderation I guess? :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 pm

The past few days have been a challenge. I had a red day last week and a very self indulgent weekend. That left me feeling hungry all day today as I returned to sanity. I did okay but not great. It is a green day as long as I make it through the evening without slipping.

Again...summer is hard!
Last edited by r.jean on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:14 am

Hang in there, Jean! You can do it!

julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 pm

I made it through yesterday but I am just as hungry today. Supper is cooking. I am pretty confidant that I will stay on track but the supper plate will be full.

I am going to try to log my exercise because it keeps me going. I had been logging it on the monthly challenges, but I don't think there is one this month.

Today
2 mile walk jog at 24:02
About 1.5 miles of dog walking split between am and pm.

I keep reminding myself how I usually gain weight in the summer so even minimal compliance is good...as long as I stick with it.
Last edited by r.jean on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Exercise
2 mile walk jog, 23:21
1 mile walking dogs

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Great job on the running! I need to get my treadmill fixed so I can start my walk to run program!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks Tobiasmom! Exercise is the only thing keeping me from gaining with my summer eating.

Today
4.5 miles..2.5 dog walking and 2 mile walk jog on lunch hour (about 25 mins). It was a beautiful day so I could get away with noon exercise. Back to 90s tomorrow.

Ate out with my sister so pushed the limits for supper.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am

Great job on the exercise. Especially exercising in 90 degree temps. You are dedicated to walk in that weather. Good self talk too. Sounds like you are becoming your own life coach and I guess that is what we are all shooting for.
I'm baaaack.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks pangelsue2!

I had to go to work early today so I chose the 2 mile WATP DVD with mods (3 lb weights during entire DVD vs 2 lb weights for less than half of DVD)
Also about a mile of dog walking today. TGIF
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 am

Hi r.jean! I'm with Pangelsue: you are doing just GREAT!! Well done!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks for the good words, Roxy.

I am in need of a little encouragement as I get through the summer. I blew it big time last night. We went to a ball game and got home late and then I did not go to bed right away. Somehow I found myself eating...not just a little but enough for a full meal. It had been a green day before that fiasco. My downfall used to be the evenings. I really never stopped eating from supper until I went to bed. That was the hardest thing to conquer when I started No S. I sort of had this deja vu feeling last night and I do not want to go there again.

Today I decided to stick with weekday rules after my huge red yesterday. Lunch and dinner were a little more indulgent than during the week but compliant with No S rules.

Exercise was the same as yesterday..2 mile WATP with mods and 1 mile dog walking It so hot out there.
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:41 am

Aw r.jean - just sending big (((((hugs)))))) and let you you are doing fantastic! I know what you mean about evenings. I used to be an evening binger for many years. Still struggle with evenings now. You have done so well, I figure you are more than entitled to a night off! Have a great Weekend.

Best wishes, Roxy x

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:54 am

The good thing is realising that you don't want to go back to eating that way on a regular basis - so you must be in a totally different place from where you were when you used to eat like that every day!

I finally got round to getting the NoS book this weekend and reading it - just thought I'd mention something that I read about not taking away S days when you've failed on an N day. I think Reinhard's point about that was that it puts you firmly in 'diet mentality' where you make bargains with yourself ('if I eat this now I'll be really good tomorrow') to give yourself permission to eat a bunch of crap. I definitely see where he's coming from - that could be a slippery slope to more failures on N days because you tell yourself that you can 'make it up by not having an S day'. And it's also punishing yourself for eating, which again is diet mentality....Obviously you don't have to gorge yourself on S days, but I do think it's probably important to allow yourself to have them even if your weekdays aren't great.

Anyway sorry for the ramble, I hope your weekend is a good one!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Just hang in there. Don't let the bumps in the road throw you off the wagon.
Lisa, mom to 7

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Milieum...I actually had the same thought as you about giving up my S day, and it is the first time I did that on purpose. However, there are many S days that I really could call green days. I am not much of a sweets person and I rarely snack any more so my weekend splurges are more about what I eat in my meals. Sometimes I eat more than a plateful but more often I splurge on what I put on the one plate or on what I drink.
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 am

Same exercise again today (WATP with mods and 1 mile walking.) It is too hot to run!
Last edited by r.jean on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Same old WATP this morning and obligatory dog walking of about a mile.....the heat wave continues.

Tonight I ended up going to water aerobics with my husband. It was about 50 minutes and was a decent workout. Unfortunately, the timing of the class meant not eating supper until 8 pm which left me wanting to eat everything in sight. I got through without going crazy but will have to plan ahead and eat my lunch later if I go again.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Today was weigh in day. I was ecstatic to see a 3.6 lb weight loss! I am up to a total loss of 34.2 lbs in 7 months! This month my loss is more about exercise than good food choices (although I am still eating much better than in the past). I had a couple reds this month; my plates were definitely more full and food choices were more indulgent. Summer is also a time when I am more likely to drink beer, and this month I did indulge. However, I was saved by an increase in exercise...both in time and intensity. My goal remains 30 minutes of any type of exercise and that was met every day and usually exceeded.

I have a family reunion in a month. If a have good month, I will only be overweight and not OBESE in time for the family reunion. What motivation!

In spite of the heat I did 2 miles outside this morning with the dog (27:37 time). I mostly did a brisk walk but added a little jogging. WOO HOO!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 pm

You are awesome!!!!! Wonderful job!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss and the incredible exercise record. Have fun at that family reunion and as KCCC said to me "bask in your own virtue" the whole time. You deserve it.
I'm baaaack.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Yay! Congratulations -- keep up the great work!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 am

Thanks everyone! "Bask in your own virtue." I will have to remember that one. That is sort of what I feel like I am doing right now, and you are right...it is okay to do that sometimes.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Exercise log:
Got outside again today even though it was a killer as the heat continues. Mostly did a brisk walk with just a little jogging. Went a little over 2 miles because I missed my turn and had to double back. Time: 29:32

Half mile dog walking in the evening.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Exercise log
AM: 2 miles brisk walk the first mile and walk jog the second mile..total time 26:23. This is slower than I would like but more than acceptable to me considering that the heat wave continues. Also did a half mile cool down walk after that and drank water.

Half mile walk in evening too.
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Amazing... You are doing great, love to see someone share my enthusiasm about exercise. I have a real "pull" to exercise and get very anxious if I cannot do it.

Cannot exercise out in the heat, however. I have hypotension (this morning 88/54 with syncope so I need to be close to home during this weather.) Those orders come directly from the top - no, not my doctor, he says I am fine. My husband !!!

Winter I love to take early morning walks - don't do the running thing. :D

I admire you for tackling the weather head-on, keep hydrated girl !!! :wink:
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks Berry! Like you I feel funky if I do not exercise which makes me more likely to use food as comfort which makes me feel even worse. It is a vicious cycle. Before starting no S I had lapsed into a period of barely exercising and was gaining at an alarming rate. Thank goodness I found No S when I did! Unlike you, high blood pressure is my issue and vigorous exercise helps. I have decreased my medication level since starting No S with the weight loss and increased exercise.

Exercise log today
It was a bit cooler so I was able to meet/exceed my goal of 12 minutes per mile. My walk-jog was 2 miles at 23:05. I then did a half mile cool down and drank water (20 oz).

Half mile evening walk too.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Exercise log
It was storming so I did not exercise until noon. Thank goodness it was still overcast and was only 79. This time I started with a half mile brisk walk...then 2 miles walk/jog (22:41)...then a half mile cool down.

...and half mile evening walk.

I hate logging what I eat but logging exercise pushes me to do better for some reason.
Last edited by r.jean on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Have you always been an exerciser or did you somehow turn yourself into one? I'm really impressed with how consistent you are and how you keep pushing yourself to do more and better.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have always been an exerciser, but I sometimes get lazy, especially when it is hot. I do great in the spring and fall and okay in winter but not as well in the summer. I also like summer foods so summers are dangerous. This is my first No S summer, and it is a lot harder to stay on the plan. I am glad I had 5-6 months under my belt before summer started.

I feel like I got over a big hurdle the last couple months and nothing can stop me now! :mrgreen:
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:29 pm

You are right. NOTHING can stop you! You are awesome!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks Tobiasmom! I am really working hard for that family reunion in August! My immediate family members all live here except one sister, but there will be a lot of extended family. I hope your family time goes well this week.

Exercise log
Took a break from walk/jog and did 2 mile WATP with usual mods to intensify. Also did a half mile walk outside with the dog and will do the same in the evening.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 am

Exercise log
I was a bit sluggish this morning and decided on just a dog walk rather than adding any jogging. Went 2 miles in about 33 minutes.
Tonight was water aerobics (50 minutes) with my husband. It is good to add in something different but once a week is enough. My husband goes 2-3 times a week.

I have a good feeling about this month. Six days in and it is going so much better...so much easier than the last 2 months.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:33 pm

I decided to weigh myself weekly this month because I am on a mission to lose 4.8 lbs this month (7/20 to 8/20) in time for a family reunion. Since starting No S, this is the first time I have set a specific weight loss goal and I probably will not do it again. However, this is symbolic for me because my BMI will drop to 29.9 with a loss of 4.8 lbs, and my weigh-in day just happens to fall on the day of the main reunion event. I am concentrating more on increased exercise than food, but I am making small changes with food choices. Week 1 weigh in today, and I am down 1.6 lbs.

Exercise log today:
3 miles total; 1.5 miles walking; then 1 mile jog (11:06 time); then .5 mile cool down. I met a goal today to jog an entire mile without stopping. I set a slow pace so my time was nothing stellar, but I did it!
..and half mile evening walk.

I am so happy to have found No S!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Exercise log
It was storming off and on this morning so I opted for WATP 2 mile with usual mods to intensify. I also managed to get in a quick half mile dog walk between rains.

..and the usual half mile dog walk in the evening.
Last edited by r.jean on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 pm

GOOD LUCK ON REACHING YOUR GOAL, r.jean! YOU ARE DOING JUST GREAT!!!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Exercise log
I felt so good about jogging a mile without stopping on Wed. that I aimed for it again today. It was warmer and more humid so I had doubts. Start up was 1.5 miles of brisk walking with a few short spurts of jogging to warm up followed by a mile jog (10:30) and a half mile cool down walk with the dog and water. I do not look at my time until the end so I was happy to see the 10:30. Still no speed demon but probably the best time I have run in my 50s.

On the down side I had a big grab bag of chips for lunch yesterday and 3 beers last night (and I do not drink the light stuff). I try to make good food and beverage choices but obviously do not do it all of the time.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Exercise log
No formal exercise, but did the normal dog walks and walked all over at a street fest so I am calling it good....definitely over 30 minutes of walking.

I am on call Fri-Sun which makes it hard to exercise. I am tied to the phone, must have pen and paper with me at all times, and have to be able to drop everything. It was a busy today, and I have been up since 3 am. Going to bed soon and hope tomorrow is not so crazy.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:05 am

On call duties were not quite as busy today, and I managed to get in 3.5 miles of walking...the normal am and pm half miles with the dog plus a 2.5 mile walk around noon taking my phone, pen and paper with me. It was in the 90s and sunny and humid so jogging was out of the question.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:45 am

You rock!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks Who Me! It feels so good to be successful at getting my weight under control after so many years being overweight.

Exercise log
Same as Friday; 3 miles total in am; will do at least half mile this evening. My one mile jog Portion was 10:39... Not bad. I have no specific time goal...the goal is just to jog at least one mile without stopping. it was warm and humid, and I felt sluggish from the weekend so I had to really push myself to finish.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 am

Exercise log
It was very hot again today so I ditched outdoor exercise except for the obligatory dog walking. It sounds like relief is on the way soon.

I settled for WATP 2 mile DVD with usual mods to intensify in the morning and water aerobics at night. Some friends were there so we talked a lot, but we kept moving all the time. The workout may have been less intense, but it was definitely more fun.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Exercise log
Only managed a brisk one mile with the dog this morning but will fit more in later..going out of town for work.

I did my weekly weigh in, and I am down 3.4 lbs for the month. It must be the exercise because the eating was not so great this week not to mention the beers. I am on track to meet my one month goal of 4.8 lbs in order to get under 30 on my BMI in time for family reunion. Next month I am going back to monthly weigh ins and a more relaxed approach. This is a one month only challenge to myself.

I managed 2.4 miles on the treadmill at the hotel in the evening. It took me about 35 minutes. Did I mention I hate treadmills? I am afraid of falling because I did that once. I started slow and worked up. The coolest thing was I jogged 1.6 miles straight at a pace of 11.5 to 12 mph. Slow but who cares!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:27 am

This morning I tried the treadmill again at the hotel. I did 2.1 miles and jogged most of it...maybe 1.8 miles of jogging. Again, it was slow....maybe a 12 mph pace but who cares?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:23 pm

TGIF! I was sluggish this morning after getting home from out of town at 7 followed by several hours of socializing. Keeping this exercise log is keeping me going. I feel the need...the compulsion...to at least do the minimum half hour.

Exercise log
AM: 1.5 miles of walking and 1 mile walk/jog. I did not quite have it in me to run the whole mile, but I ran the first half mile (at a respectable 4:55) and walked/ran the second half to finish up at a decent 11:00.

PM: half mile walk with dog
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Great job on the exercise. I have been really slacking in that department lately.

Have a great weekend!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14 am

Exercise is awesome, well in moderation for me of course. Sounds like you are finding your groove :).

I try to aim for 30 minutes a day, sometimes I get an hour walk in or 40 minutes on my elliptical, but I let me body tell me. Sometimes getting started is hard, but once moving something always kicks in..and then I say, I knew this would feel great.

Keep up the great work!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Exercise log
AM: 3 miles--1 mile brisk walk followed by 1.5 miles jog/walk (16:35, pace 11:03 per mile) followed by half mile cool down with dog.

PM: The usual half mile with the dog
Last edited by r.jean on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:37 pm

r.jean...

You're doing great!!!! You were struggling & got back on track....what a great job! Good for you!

Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Hear! Hear! I echo everything DETERMINED has said!! :wink: :wink:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks NoSRocks and determined! You are right that I was struggling but thanks to this forum I managed to stick with the plan. Checking in daily and sharing experiences and getting feedback has been crucial.

I am still indulging in summer foods (and beer) but with a little more restraint. Also, the exercise is pulling me through. Logging the exercise daily has kept me going.

So...Let's all hang in there!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:49 am

I so agree, the daily check in is critical. I have never been one of those who went to organized meetings like WW or TOPS or anything but I do see how the accountability would work,

You are doing G R E A T :wink:
Berry