Jean's new check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Exercise: 3 mile jog 34:38 (11:33)

I have decided to change my weight loss postings to percentages rather than pounds. I think this is a more accurate representation of the change that has occurred. Pounds are less relevant because the starting weight, sex, age, and height of a person has to be considered.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:12 am

r.jean wrote:I only ended up walking one mile yesterday. I ran short of time in the morning so I just did the mile. I am on call after hours this week and used this as an excuse to procrastinate. I took my weekly allowed yellow for not doing at least 1/2 hour of exercise. Today I did the 2 mile WATP DVD.

The weather and the newspaper delivery are screwing up my routine, and it is funny that my great new exercise habits have a negative side as well. I do not seem to be very flexible. We have a new carrier so the newspaper gets here 30-45 mins later. My routine is to have some coffee and scan the paper before heading out to exercise. I cannot do that now that the paper comes later. It makes me late for work if I wait for the paper. I also have to check the weather and bundle up which disrupts my precious little routine. Routine and habits are good, but I need to build in some flexibility!
You could call the paper and tell them what you told us, they want your business. My hubby did that when the carrier started to come to our house later. They fixed it.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am

WATP 2 mile DVD today.

I am slowly adjusting to cold weather and a later newspaper and other changes in routine. The newspaper thing is just something I have to accept since the current carrier delivers it 20-30 minutes before the promised time. I was spoiled by the previous carrier who had it there an hour or more ahead of the promised time.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 pm

FRIDAY
Red across the board Friday. I ended a week on call which is always disruptive to my routine. So I got someone else to cover Friday evening so I could enjoy the office party. I enjoyed a bit too much on the food but it could have been worse.

I also only got in 1 mile walking. I could have done more inside, but it was cold and slick outside.

No big deal! Moving on!

SATURDAY
3 miles 33:45 (11:15 pace) today
It was cold and windy and there were icy spots so I was pretty happy with my time.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Exercise:
2 mile WATP and dog walking throughout the day

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 am

MONDAY
3 miles 35:48 (11:46 pace)
It was warmer today and my head wanted to run, but my body rebelled. I am not sure what I did to make myself so sore this weekend, but I am sore. I felt successful just getting through it and staying below 12 minute miles.

TUESDAY
2 mile walk

It is one week to my one year weigh in. I hope that gives me the incentive to do well this week because this has been a mediocre month. I most definitely want to avoid a gain since I have made it 11 months with no gains at my monthly weigh ins. I have stayed the same or barely lost some months, but I have not gained.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am

WEDNESDAY
WATP 2 mile

Eating remains compliant but plates are pretty full.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:37 pm

THURSDAY
3 miles. 34:06. (11:22 pace)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Go Jean Go!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am

LOL..thanks Who Me!
I took a NWS day today but debated on making it a red. I have been to two retirement lunches with buffets and one open house this week. I managed to stay within No S rules until the open house at work this afternoon when a coworker brought my favorite ... Texas sheet cake. I caved. I decided to call it NWS rather than red since it was one splurge for 3 events.

Tomorrow I am taking off for a 3 day weekend in downtown Chicago. This is an annual Christmas season trip with my husband. It was a year ago in Chicago that I picked up the No S book for about $2 at a bookstore that was closing. I started No S the first day home. I almost did not buy the book because the line was long, and I only had that one item. I am glad I waited.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 am

Enjoyed the 3 day weekend away and then had one day...Monday..to get rid of the Weekend bloat for my one year weigh in today.

Monday
Did 3 miles (34:26). 11:29 pace
Drank a lot of healthy beverages but ate sparingly.
It paid off.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 am

r.jean wrote:Enjoyed the 3 day weekend away and then had one day...Monday..to get rid of the Weekend bloat for my one year weigh in today.

Monday
Did 3 miles (34:26). 11:29 pace
Drank a lot of healthy beverages but ate sparingly.
It paid off.
Down 20%!!!!! Congrats! Also congrats on one year of No S!! You're doing great! :D
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for noticing Sweetness! I am pretty happy with my one year result. I will probably be off the boards for a few days for the holidays and I am pondering year 2....
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:25 am

Yay, great work!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you Thtrchic! I am so amazed that it has been a year! It helps to see the same people hanging around day after day.

I have had a terrible week food wise but a great Christmas! It goes to show that even after a year it is hard to shed all of the old bad eating habits.

I regularly see people refer to "starting over." For me that term is part of a diet mentality that I do not want to go back to. The need to start over implies (for me) the need to do something perfectly. No S is the first time in my life that I have actually never started over. I have owned my failures and learned from them and have gotten myself back on track. The simplicity of the plan has been the key for me.

So...it is time for me to be posting greens again instead of reds and yellows!

I am going to start a new thread for 2012 so see you there!
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:11 am

GREAT post, r.jean!

Just popping in to wish you a very Happy New Year and all the best for 2012.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

gk

Post by gk » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 am

r.jean wrote:I regularly see people refer to "starting over." For me that term is part of a diet mentality that I do not want to go back to. The need to start over implies (for me) the need to do something perfectly. No S is the first time in my life that I have actually never started over. I have owned my failures and learned from them and have gotten myself back on track. The simplicity of the plan has been the key for me.
Wise words. Will try to make that part of my approach in 2012 - chuck the whole diet mentality for good!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Yay gk! Here's to a great 2012 for all of us!