Not Going to Give Up

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

Not Going to Give Up

Post by Ruthie71 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 am

I started Nos for the umpteenth time yesterday and failed today. I have 2 young children and I eat when stressed and tired. I had a small piece of slice
after dinner. I will start again now but start counting my 21 days tomorrow. I want to weigh 54 kilos (8 stone 7) but now weigh 62 (137 pounds). I want to be fit and healthy for my family.

harpista

Post by harpista » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:21 am

Speaking as someone who has repeatedly failed (I have never made the 21 Club YET), I can tell you, though, that just trying your very best can also give you a very modest result and is worth doing.

I'm not saying stop trying to have successful n-days AT ALL, because of course that would be best! Just that, if you're anything like me, a "failure with real effort on No S" day is way better than a regular pre-No S day.

This year I am trying to adopt the attitude that noncompliance is not an option, but- I honestly think that trying, over and over, has built up my willpower to a higher level, so that I can try being a hard case!
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!