Naomi's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Grace

Naomi's daily check-in

Post by Grace » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I have "half-essed" the No-S plan at least 2 or 3 times before now, so I decided I'd start anew using my REAL name (Naomi) instead of my middle name (Grace) and just start No-S afresh, for life (warts and all). I've finally realized that up until now no diet has worked for me (including No-S, which is really not a diet, but I was treating it as such), because I've really had one major goal: to lose weight (and get to a certain *magic* number on the scale). You know, that goal hasn't worked for the past 31 years (I'm 44 and have dieted since I was 13), so why do I think that goal will work for me now?! I've *finally* realized (I'm a late bloomer!) that what WILL work for me is to make healthy habits my goal. THAT I CAN DO!! :) So, here are my healthy habit goals that I will be logging success/failure for each day: No Snacking, No Sweets, No Seconds, and Exercising (at least 4 days/week). I've just started doing 1 hr. sessions of yoga M-Th. Man, it feels great and talk about a great destresser!

So, let me go ahead and log in my Day 1 Healthy Habit stats for yesterday (June 4 - Day 1):

No Snacks - SUCCESS
No Sweets - SUCCESS
No Seconds - SUCCESS
Exercising (M-Th) - SUCCESS

GREAT to be here building healthy habits for life with you guys!
:) Naomi (aka Grace)
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! :)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Welcome and Good Luck!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Welcome! My story is very similar to yours, as I'm sure are countless others. I'm determined this time to practice NoEssing for the long haul of it!
Good luck to you Naomi!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Grace

Days 2, 3, & 4 Check in

Post by Grace » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Thank you Mimi and Butterfly for the welcome and encouraging words!

Friday, June 5 (Day 2):

No Snacking: SUCCESS!
No Sweets: SUCCESS!
No Seconds: SUCCESS!

Saturday & Sunday (Days 3 & 4: S days): SUCCESS!

On my way to joining that 21 day club!

:) Naomi
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi there.

I can so identify, I have never had a serous weight problem, just those nagging ten, fifteen, oh my gosh is it really up to twenty pounds, I lose them - I then realize that I don't need to lose any more weight,

I re gain them.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I just want to enjoy eating three normal health meals a day and then forget about it until the next meal.

I am almost at my goal weight and can already feel my inner voice saying, You can relax now, you've done fine. You can control this.

But, NO, I cannot. Not without the No S plan.

Wishing you well,

SR :wink: