The Phatsister Returns...

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thephatsister

The Phatsister Returns...

Post by thephatsister » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:50 am

So I read the posts each day just didn't post my own. I had a pretty good first week. Weekend not so good and had a struggle getting back to the plan today but still down a pound. Not too bad. I wish there were a magical formula that worked overnight. Wish me luck this week as I continue to No S Week 2!!
The Phat Sister, that's phat not fat!!

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 am

Good luck with your second week!! :D
Susieokla

No S Diet Start Weight 10/6/08: 165 lbs

Current weight as of 10/14/08: 160 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:34 am

Have a good week Sis :)
Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 am

Sister,
I sent you a message in the private message section last week on Thursday, Oct. 9, as a welcome and included some info for you. Maybe you don't have your profile set up to receive those. Look at the top by the word Profile and see if it says "you have a new message" or something like that.

Hang in there--you'll do fine.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 am

Week #2! That's an accomplishment!

I agree, it would be wonderful if there was a magic weight-loss wand. Talk about being able to make a fortune!!!

This plan might not be magic, but it's definitely changing me from the inside out. I'm on Day 80 and can't imagine myself trying anything else...ever. I haven't a clue what I've lost...it's enough to be wearing clothes from the back of my closet....but since I know I can sustain this plan indefinitely, the emphasis on my weight has dramatically decreased. Yup, I still want to lose this weight, and yup, I still struggle to keep on target, but my stress level about it has gone down so very much. To me it's an amazing change.

So good luck with Week 2. The first few weeks are hard, but if you hang in there, you'll not be disappointed.

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

thephatsister

Post by thephatsister » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Thank you for each of your replies. I don't understand what everyone means by the green squares and red squares?? Where are they?? I understand that green is good and red is not but where do you keep track of these? I had asked before but has anyone tried Curves and found it helpful in getting fit?? It is the only gym close and I would love to add a fitness routine to my plan. Any Curves users out there?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

The green, yellow & red squares are part of the HabitCal(endar) at the op of the page. It's a system that lets you keep track of how many successful days you have. I love tracking my days on the HabitCal, but some don't...it all depends on what works for you. Many times I don't snack because I know I'd have to count the day as a failure...or Red day and I don't want to mess up my calendar. Just click "HabitCal" at the top of the page if you want to take a look.

I don't belong to Curves, but my sister thinks it's great. She loves going whenever she wants and feels as if it's really helping her get in shape.

Hope this helps!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

thephatsister

Post by thephatsister » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:06 am

Just checking in to say things are going okay. Not great, not horrible just okay. I am still struggling with snacks. But I am sticking with it.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Sis,
I notice you said snacking is a struggle.. I will say this is the one habit that hasn't ever been any problem for me, but I see my mom doing it all day long, and occasionally my Son has a problem with it. This is only when stuff is out in the open.
I believe that snacking is simply a knee jerk impulse to stuff you see laying around, most of the time. But impulses are quick to pass too..
Make it easier on yourself by trying to put stray bags of whatever snack foods you like away. If you really actually feel you want to eat that stuff, as long as it's not a sweet, then make it a part of your meal on your plate.
I am willing to bet that most of the snacks you have you might not even consider eating if they weren't beckoning you by being "in your face".
Have a nice weekend :)

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

play_outside

Post by play_outside » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 am

I am still struggling with snacks.
That has always been the worst for me too, and not just when things are out on the counter... I almost always know what is in my pantry, fridge, AND freezer. So I have to watch what is in the house, and also try to get "snobbier" about what I think is a worthwhile treat. (Coming from a childhood where we had dessert every day, sometimes twice a day, plus snacks, often generic storebought cookies & milk... I have not been very snobby.) Today I asked my husband to remove the candy he bought over the weekend from the house.. I trust myself more than I used to, but not enough yet. :)

Looking forward to your daily meals helps, and it has gotten easier over time (although not always EASY). We will persevere - at least till breakfast, and then till lunch, and then till dinner...

Just in case any of these things helps, from a fellow struggler against snacks. :)