anndelise's monthly check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anndelise

anndelise's monthly check in

Post by anndelise » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:34 pm

September 2008 results:

No S-ing:
19 green days (counting today as green day as there's no reason it would become a red day)
9 yellow days
2 red days

No Entertainment w/ Food:
16 green days (more likely for today to be a green day if I already count it as one...due to being too lazy to want to edit this, :lol:)
9 yellow days
5 red days

weight:
starting weight = 196.4 on Monday 9/01/08
highest weight = 197.4 on Wednesday 9/03/08
lowest weight = 189.4 on Thursday 9/25/08
ending weight = 190.4 on Tuesday 9/30/08
goal weight = whatever current habits settle it as

Note:
The 2nd version of HabitCal was another 'duh' moment when I saw the month set up in table format instead of in monthly days. I've created my own table to be printed and marked off each day that will include No S-ing and No Entertainment with Food habits, as well as some new fitness activity once a day and clearing home once a day. This will be on printed paper instead of jumping on line each day and feeling guilty for not wanting to jump online just to mark the calendar.

At the end of each month or each week I can jump online and put it all in at once....or just not do it online at all. Hence why I'm doing a monthly check in thread which counts green, yellow, red days, and any weight changes that may have occurred.

I'm going to be trying to reduce the amount of being on the computer as much as I can without going crazy. And this will help reduce that. (alas, it also means I won't be checking the forum as much either, but i'm sure ya'll can get along just fine without me, lol ;) )

Also note: S days are now Friday evenings and Saturday all day. Sundays are now No-S days. As it turns out, we really need that Friday evening unwinding to enjoy the weekend more. And Sundays as N days help us get back into the groove for the coming week.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 pm

anndelise,
Down six pounds in one month. That's terrific! I was down three, maybe, but my plates looked like Mount Olympus. It's great to customize this philosophy to suit our individual personalities and social life.
Kathleen