Auti's Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nurseauti

Auti's Check in

Post by nurseauti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Hello everyone I am new to the forum but not new to NOS. I am however new and begining the program with regularity.

Today is A1of no S. Still early 11am in San Diego, I will let you know if it was success. I have happy hour from 4-7pm I plan on just having dinner (one plate) with a drink (wine) ;-)

nurseauti

Day A1 Failure

Post by nurseauti » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Day A1 Failure

I think that I have realized something about myself that is profound. I have tried forever to break this habbit where I eat wonderful during the day but want to snack at night.

I love the feeling of having something solid in my tummy when I go to bed and I realize now that Tea won't do, even Milk won't do and since I am doing NoS a solid snack is a "snack" so that won't do.

I have been fighting this for so long, going against my body for a long time. I realize now that an early dinner is just not for me.

When I eat my dinner early, even if it is 7pm by 9:30 I want more. I want some food and I opt for junk of course. It is not the junk I want so much but to have a nice full tummy before bed. Well that is something I can work on but it hit me. Rather than eat dinner early and then fight to change the habbit I have of being full when I go to sleep then I am going to push my dinner to a later time.

So I normally eat breakfast early even though I am not hungry, then I have an early lunch. Well I decided I am going to try something new, try working with my body. I will push my meals to a later time.

I never work well on Tea after dinner in order to prevent my 9:30 eating, going to bed early may work but early for me is 9:30 or 10pm. I am not sure if I will ever go to bed at 8pm but that can come later once I get the 3 meals down.

So breakfast will be closer to 10am or 11am and I will have my tea in the morning instead because that works for me. A good size lunch will come around 4pm or so and I will have my dinner around 9pm and be nice and cozy full by 9:30 when I retire for bed. There by preventing me from having a hungry tummy and opting for junk.

I am sad I failed but I am not because this is the best idea I think I have ever had and it is simple and came from this failure. I love three meals, they work and I pick very healthy food because that is what I like my problem has always been late night eating and I am sure it would not be a problem if I just ate dinner later and that way it is still part of my meal plan rather than (in addition to).

I love to exercise, I love healthy foods and I love to be nice and cozy full when I go to bed. So I am going to work with that and push my dinner back a bit.

Wonderful isn't it, simple and no torture!!!!!!!!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:32 pm

nurseauti,

I think adjusting your meals to times that are suited to your lifestyle and needs is a great idea. I adjust my meal times according to what is going on in my life. Sometimes I eat earlier but sometimes I am getting things really late in the day like you laid out. I pretty much just stick to my 3 one plate meals a day and don't worry too much about what time they are. I think this kind of flexibility has helped me a lot!

Welcome, and glad you are here,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

nurseauti

Post by nurseauti » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:02 pm

B1 success

I moved my meals back later, at dinner a bit later and made sure I was nice and full after dinner. It helped to start my meal with an apple. So no binge.

nurseauti

Post by nurseauti » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:06 pm

B2 Success

It was an S day so it was a success as in Successful S day, I had some cookies and chips while I studied for my state nursing exam with a friend.

Spoke to my friend who has quit smoking, she said the only way she could do it was cold turkey. Well I realized that once I start eating junk cookies and even some chips I don't stop. Moderation at least in this point of the game when we are talking sugar is not part of my vocabulary just yet. I feel that my S days would be better off not to include sugar.

I just do not have just one. Later I may be able to moderate after the habbit of eating a lot of sugar has been nipped but for now no sugar.

nurseauti

Post by nurseauti » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:27 am

B3 Success

This was a successful S day. After listening to the "s days gone wild" podcast I decided to lift my no sugar ban on myself and focus on "n" day compliance for a month and keep my "s" days.

In the future I may toy with capital S days and lower case S days or having 2 or 3 S episodes per s day but for now no extra rules. My focus is on "n" day compliance.

I am a happy girl and tomorrow I may try shovelglove/broom ;-)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:06 am

Just wanted to pop in and say "hi". I'm working on Week 9...but still consider myself beginning this jouney. You're so smart to analyze your triggers. Mine is sugar too...especially ice cream. I could just eat & eat & eat that all day. As I've continued this though, the cravings for sweets has diminished so much that I cdon't even think about them during the week. And the only time I have some on the weekends is if I've made a dessert for the family. THIS is amazing to me. Anyway....I didn't pop in to talk about me...just to send a cyber-greeting.

I hope your weekend went well & welcome to the forum...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

nurseauti

Post by nurseauti » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 am

B4 Success

No funny business, I am in the groove and just keeping things simple KISS is remarkable and what I needed to do.

Performed 14 min exercise this morning with a 4 min jog/sprint after... It was wonderful and I felt invigorated.

Hubby and Little man were sick today poor things.

auti

oolala53

hi, neighbor

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Just wanted to say hi, because I am getting involved here and I also live in San Diego. I think I've only had one N day so far, but even my failures are so much better than many days before that that I'm not abandoning the effort. Hearing that you are in the grooove is good news.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)