Day 1 of posting again

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

This path is my life

Day 1 of posting again

Post by This path is my life » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm starting my thread over today.

Day 1 of posting again.

I feel that it will be a success. I have learned so much since joining unofficially in January 2006, but I started posting April 26, 2006. So I'll consider that date my one year anniversary. I've been doing No-S diligently I'm proud to say but I haven't been posting consistently which is something that I feel would help me smooth out these last kinks in my habit sticking plus I miss the amazing people on this incredibly supportive board. Onward and upward. This path is my life.
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 pm

So brkfst, lunch, and dinner were fine though right after i had my 1 plate at dinner i stood in front the pantry and wanted something else, but then i took my cup of tea upstairs and starting thinking about other things and the urge completely disappeared! That felt great to realize! Just one day at a time. Anyway I'm done for the night.

Day 1 SUCCESS!!

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:48 am

Day 2 SUCCESS

The no snacking and 1 plate boundaries that I've put on myself were impressively well set today even in a social situation with lots of pizza and such. I'm proud of that. Today was a good day.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:01 pm

You're off to a good start. Keep going!

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:39 am

Thanks Jan! It's good to be back on the board even if I never left no-S. I'll drop by your check-in soon.

Day 3- SUCCESS! (s-day)
I've decided that I will only fail on S-days if I let myself feel guilty, which I often do. Today was quite an s-day but that's ok b/c it only happens once a week (for me, I only have 1 s day per week, I tried 2 and wasn't happy with it). My personal olympics goal for next month will be to only eat sitting down and absolutely everything on a plate, even on s-days, no more mindless snacking out of bags/boxes/containers. Tomorrow is a new day.

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:56 am

hey, I was wondering where you were! Welcome Back!

Zoolina

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:38 am

Day 4- Monday Success
Day 5- Tuesday Success

Today could have been better, could have been worse, but Monday was great. I just need to work on stopping immediately when I eat too much instead of feeling guilty eating more, feeling worse, eating more etc. Anyway tomorrow is another day and the key is to not let myself get discouraged and instead simply continue with my routine.

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Day 6 Wed SUCCESS
Day 7 Thurs SUCCESS
Day 8 Fri SUCCESS
Day 9 Sat SUCCESS
Day 10 Sun SUCCESS
Day 11 Mon SUCCESS

Day 12 Tues- Today

I am going to be kinder to myself. I've noticed that whenever I feel negative my eating is also worse and unejnjoyable and i feel much less in control. Now everday I am going to focus on one positive thing I did that day. For example, yesterday I went to two bars and only had two drinks total, also I ate some extra, but it could have been MUCH worse. So yesterday was a good day and today is a new day now. I am going to focus on the big picture.

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Day 12 Tues- SUCCESS
Day 13 Wed- SUCCESS
Day 14 Thurs- SUCCESS
Day 15 Fri- SUCCESS

Day 16 Today
I decided to post this on my check-in from another thread b/c it's relevant:

I've lost 20 lbs. since I've been on No-S which has been about a year since I was lurking for awhile before I started posting. It has been incredibly enjoyable and liberating when I let it be, in other words, when I don't put extra restrictions on myself that cause me to binge more, and when I stop feeding the guilt monster. Where I am now is being gentle with myself and kind to myself and not putting any restrictions on myself except the bare bones 3 No-Ss.

A point to note is that I do do a modified shovelglove which I call my "morning movement" (mm) in which I do yoga or kickboxing or stretching or weightlifting for 14 mins and I walk an hour a day. I think exercise is key to making this plan work and I used to think that it had to be something intense and not that enjoyable like running, but walking does the trick just fine and is amazingly enjoyable. Through No-S I have discovered what a joy walking is and I know that has helped my weight loss tremendously. I am 5'6 and 140 lbs. and I could be comfortable at this weight, in fact it's the weight that I always said I wanted to be. No-S has really changed my life for the better in every way. I'm thankful everyday.

czechens

Post by czechens » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Wow! You're doing great! Wish my success record were as gorgeous as yours! I'm printing your 2/3 comments on guilt and walking for daily inspiration. Those are two of my big "issues" as well, and you have stated the case exactly. - Carol (czechens)

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks Carol! Though It's taken me about a year to get to this point. You'll get there as long as you keep at it. I mean Reinhard has been doing this for what? 5 years now? So it's totally doable. This is definitely about the long haul and about finally making peace with food. Good luck!!

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:19 pm

For Feb. my personal olympics monthly resolution will be:
Focusing on the positive (I know this sounds abstract and unmeasurable but it's something that I would really like to focus on, so go with me here.)

Gold medal: List one positive thing about the day, Zero binges (which are usually a direct result of guilt and negativity)

Silver medal: 4-6 days a week of positive posting, 1-4 binges

Bronze medal: 3 days a week of positive posting, 5-6 binges

No medal: less than both of those things.

I need to be kind and gentle and flexible with myself. I deserve that. When I start thinking negatively I want to stop myself and replace it with the positive. The guilt monster is my enemy and I will kill it!!!

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:45 am

Jenn,

Let me know how your positivity resolution goes. I'd like to be more positive and take setbacks less seriously. And I know it has something to do with my binging too. Good luck with it. If it works for you I'll try it next month.

Hoe gaat het met jou Nederlands?

Zoo

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:08 pm

::Deep breath::

Day 1