Day one check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jessnomi

Day one check in

Post by Jessnomi » Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi, checking in on my first day! 40lbs overweight, constant snacker and fed up with calorie counting and quitting!

Wish me luck! 😀

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 am

Welcome to our cheerful little group. I hope you find what you are looking for here.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat May 30, 2015 4:16 am

Good luck, Jessnomi! And welcome. I trust you will find NoS to be a very helpful system of moderation that is more simple to follow than calorie counting, yet effective. These boards are a great place to check in, ask questions and get support.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Welcome Jessnomi to the most sensible approach to ridding yourself of bad eating habits and "diet head" there is (and hopefully allowing you to drop extra pounds along the way)...not to mention the super friendly and helpful message boards here!
Something to keep in mind - NoS is a lifestyle that requires time and patience from most people to fully take hold. It's not a quick fix, doesn't provide instant results, or promise you to drop-weight-quickly like most fad diets out there. But. It. Works.
Best wishes with your NoS journey and don't forget to come back for help or encouragement if you need it.
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Congratulations on this marriage to a great lifestyle.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jessnomi

Day 3: success

Post by Jessnomi » Sun May 31, 2015 7:07 pm

Well I started on a Friday, and it was successful, no snacks. Then yesterday and today were S days, and I haven't eaten any snacks except for some chocolate at the movies last night. No snacks yet today, but probably will next weekend.