Starting Today

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MartiniLeech

Starting Today

Post by MartiniLeech » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Today I have started The No S Diet. I'm very excited! I bought a new journal to record my thoughts/feelings/challenges and of course, I plan to check in to here every day I'm able.

I'm also using an app called Day One to take pictures of my meals. I think it'll help me realize exactly how much I eat, what keeps me satisfied, etc.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Welcome, MartiniLeech,
I think it's a great idea to take pictures of your meals, plus keeping a journal. I like your positive, energetic attitude! I'm sure you'll do great. These boards are a very supportive and helpful place, it's good to have you join in.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Welcome, please post often and let us know how things are going.
Berry

MartiniLeech

Monday - A

Post by MartiniLeech » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Yesterday went really really well. I was surprised that I didn't experience much hunger at all. I had a cup of coffee after lunch but more because I was cold then because I was hungry. And though I had mentally allowed myself to have a glass of milk or other beverage around 3:00 when I'm usually ravenous, I hardly noticed my stomach because I was keeping busy with some projects.

The letter A at the top is my rating for how well the day went. I was definitely able to color yesterday green for a good day when I did everything I needed to. Yay me!

MartiniLeech

Tuesday - *****

Post by MartiniLeech » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 pm

As you can see above, I've changed my progress system. Now it's 5 ***** for the best day and 1 * for the worst day. So technically I have two 5 ***** days under my belt!

I have to admit, yesterday was easy. I didn't feel hunger except for around 4:30, and knowing I'd be eating in an hour kept me from having anything else. I definitely overindulged in the rice but all in all, it was a great day. And I stuck to the rules completely.

I'm actually shocked and super pleased at how this is going. I thought it'd be much harder. But it's so nice knowing that I never have to worry about food or what to eat except 3 times a day. And because they're meals and not unplanned snacks, I'm not having to wrestle with whether to have a nice nutritious apple or whether a bowl of cereal would be an indulgence I don't need or hey, why not just have a slice of cake and call it a day?

On top of everything else, I feel like I can have anything I want, except for dessert, which I'm just putting off until Saturday. So if I really really really want a Big Mac and a side of fries, nothing is stopping me. It's not forbidden. And I'm sure I'll make that choice some time in the next few weeks or maybe even days. But not right now. Right now I'm fine with what I have at home. I'm totally loving my soft boiled eggs with soft, delicious whole wheat bread. I think back to the many times I gave up carbs and how horribly miserable I was! It was eggs and bacon, no bread with butter or a cold cup of milk. Now I'm having it all but making sure it fits on my nice square 9 inch plate. It's quite eye opening.

For lunch yesterday I had one of my faves - salmon, with a bowl of potato soup, some triscuits, and a tangerine. And I was so full I put half the triscuits back in the box!

Looking forward to another good day today. Tonight is bible study and sometimes there are delicious treats - brownies, homemade scones, cookies, etc. But I've already got it into my head that whatever they have, however delicious it looks and probably is, I can replicate it pretty much exactly on Saturday. And it will be amazing.

MartiniLeech

Wed *****, Thurs *****

Post by MartiniLeech » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:06 pm

As you can see from the line above, this is going really well! Wed night, as I suspected, there were brownies and apple pie! Two of my faves. But I didn't go near them, telling myself, just think how good both of those things will taste on Saturday. I really didn't even want them. It didn't bother me a bit seeing everyone else chowing down on them.

Yesterday - I don't remember much, just that I totally stuck to plan. I did have a cup of homemade hot cocoa before lunch. I felt a little light headed and didn't want to lie down, which is what I usually do. Yesterday was just a weird day. I didn't feel great, and I did end up napping for an hour or so at work. I'm a nanny for two teens, so naps are allowed on the job :) And at the time, neither of them were home anyway. It was the girl's text to pick her up that actually woke me up. Winter is always rough on me. I seem to sleep a lot when it's cold. I think that's because I'm from Florida and even after 9.5 years up here, I'm still not used to it.

So I've made it four days in a row (four green blocks on my calendar!) and I am confident I'll do it today.

Tomorrow. I really do so well not having seconds or snacks but I sure do miss desserts. So that's what I'm going to do. If I have snack/seconds, I'm still going to put a yellow block on my calendar, but I'm going to try not to as long as it doesn't bother me or I don't feel resentful or deprived. The one plate thing is really good, as it helps me control my portions, not feel stuffed, and not feel like I'm missing out on whatever my husband is eating.

Sunday. I'm not sure. Because here's the thing. I have been on a calorie counting diet with a nutritionist since August and lost about 14 pounds. But the weeks I ate within my calories and then ate whatever I wanted both Sat. and Sun, I gained, and then had to fight all week to get rid of those gained pounds. I want to lose weight. So I'm not sure how I'll handle Sunday. Maybe I will consider it an S day but do as I'll do tomorrow - no snacks, no seconds, but desserts.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Wild S days and initial gains are common for many people, but there is another S to keep in mind....sometimes. It is okay to treat yourself on S days but going hog wild every weekend will obviously affect your weight. Personally, I would not put any rules on weekends other than to evaluate each indulgence as it comes up. Ask yourself, do I really want this snack or sweet or second or am I just eating it because I can?
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

MartiniLeech

Friday *****

Post by MartiniLeech » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:49 am

That is great advice, r.jean. Thank you. I'll think about that at each meal this weekend.

Another amazing day today. I'm really looking forward to the weekend. Imagining a weekend with "some" indulgences and no guilt. That'll be nice for a change.

MartiniLeech

Saturday *****, Sunday *****

Post by MartiniLeech » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I had a fantastic weekend. I tried to just enjoy my food without a ton of restrictions. I won't go into details but I feel like I did really well. I'm excited to get back to my 3 plate a day eating.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Way to go! Eventually moderation becomes a habit!

However, I still have my gluttonous moments....like yesterday. :(
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

MartiniLeech

Mon ***** Tues *****

Post by MartiniLeech » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:06 pm

r.jean, I suspect we will always have those. I know I will. But if I can make those moments less and less, it'll change my life in huge ways. Physically, mentally, emotionally.

I've had two wonderful days. I am completely shocked at how well this is going. I have a HabitCal on my fridge and it's so encouraging and inspiring to see all those green boxes with two yellow ones and no red ones!

I love eating 3 times a day. I love the simpleness of it. It's just so easy. And I enjoy my meals so much more. I loved meeting a friend for breakfast yesterday and having a simple ham and cheese omelet (it was small and I only ate 3/4 of it), a serving of bubble and squeak potatoes (it was a New Zealand cafe), and a bowl of fruit and being satisfied and not resentful that my friend was eating pretty much the same thing and I wasn't suffering through with a cup of coffee or a cup of fruit like I have in the past. This is so life changing!

The scale is going very slowly down, down to where I was back in August. My goal this holiday season is to just maintain, so I'm fine with the scale crawling. In November it was back up to 236 and now it's down to 233. My low weight that I'm successfully getting back to is 228. Starting in January, I will start meeting that goal. I also have a hamstring injury, and my go to exercise is walking which I'm forbidden to do. I can swim, and I can do the elliptical, but I don't as much as I used to walk. But I'm praying that will heal soon and I'll be able to strap back on my pedometer and start getting those 12,000 to 14,000 steps a day again.