FunnyGirl's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FunnyGirl

FunnyGirl's Daily Check In

Post by FunnyGirl » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 am

Hi

Right now I'm feeling cross and frustrated and need to sort myself out. The stories on this website seem to be genuine and heartfelt.

New month, new start and I've a fledgling new business that I am busy marketing and promoting.

So, I've read the blurb and started my Habitcal and the first one I choose to focus upon is three meals a day. That's it!

Will be back tomorrow! Tattie bye....
Starting 1st September 2014. Going to give this three months. Totally new to No S. I don't like strict bossy rules so am using the guidance as suggestions.
: )

Starting weight: 10st 10.4lbs

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 am

Hi, FunnyGirl,
Welcome aboard! I'll be looking at your check-in thread with interest, to see how the gradual implementation thing goes (assuming you will want to add the other 2 rules to the 3 meals, no snacking rule). It seems like going in gradually is a good idea!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

FunnyGirl

Day 2

Post by FunnyGirl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am

So, yesterday went really well and I slept soundly which is a good thing! Managed to have three meals (as per my promise to myself) and marked a nice big green square on my habitcal.

All going well today, I am really enjoying having mayonnaise and granary bread (not together!) but those are things I have tended to avoid in my previous life. Funny how we can have automatic responses, I was packing lunch today and a grape fell out onto the table. I put it in my mouth and then remembered my no eating between meals!! So I put it on a side plate for later! Tee hee!

Osoniya - thanks for your words of encouragement. I look forward to getting to know you better! : )

TTFN
Starting 1st September 2014. Going to give this three months. Totally new to No S. I don't like strict bossy rules so am using the guidance as suggestions.

FunnyGirl

Post by FunnyGirl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm thinking of leaving this forum as I don't feel there is enough support for me. Regular posters seem to have lots of replies.....

Unsure....

osoniye

Re: Day 2

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:57 am

FunnyGirl wrote:All going well today, I am really enjoying having mayonnaise and granary bread... but those are things I have tended to avoid in my previous life.
Hi again, FunnyGirl- I'm glad you're enjoying eating things that were "off limits" on previous diet plans. That is a really nice thing about NoS- as long as it's not sweet, at meal time, you can have any kind of food you want, if it doesn't cause you problems in any medical or trigger way.
Sorry you don't feel supported here. I'd say give it time, let people get to know you, read and comment on others' check-in threads, ask questions on the main board. There's the risk that sometimes it may feel like you give more than you get, but ultimately, I personally have found this to be an inclusive and supportive board.
Wishing you the best today in your 3 meals!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 am

Hi FunnyGirl,

I'm sorry you don't feel supported either. I remember when I started on the boards I commented (when I felt I had something to contribute or have a question not senselessly) A LOT on other people's threads and it went from there. Like friendships: you get what you give.

We'd be delighted to get to know you better if you stay.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi FunnyGirl,

I think the best way to look at these daily check-in threads is as a personal journal. When people comment, that's a bonus. If you look at other people's threads, even longtime posters will often have several posts in a row without any comments from others.

Is there something special you're looking for support for? Do you particularly struggle with snacking? Are sweets your downfall? Are you a serial dieter, or have you not tried a structured way of eating before? It's easier to get support if you ask for what you need.

For my part, I'll say that you absolutely can do this. This is by far the most manageable eating plan I have ever used in my life.

Gwen

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi, FunnyGirl, I think because people are posting from all over the world that the times everyone responds are very different. I usually only check once a day, but there are some days where I keep refreshing the page hoping someone has replied :lol:

For me, when I re-started (a month or so ago), I would just post on my update, and as people started cheering me on and responding, I would go to their check-in and make sure I returned the favor. Then, as time went on, I just naturally started new threads or commenting on some check-ins. The general discussion forum tends to see a lot of action.

Also with the check-ins, there may be less to respond to. I do think gwen is right with the check-ins as more of a personal journal.