Animated's check-in.

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

animated

Post by animated » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:11 pm

It's been just over 2 years since I've been around these parts.
NoS has been a huge help to me in the past, and got me on track with a proper frame of mind when it comes to food and health.

After my marathon in 2013 I gained back a bit of weight but found a pretty good balance.
I slowed down on my running a bit. doing over 50Km per week is a bit much.

All was well until last summer when I injured my elbow in Tae Kwon Do. I had to stop training because of the injury - which in turn made me pretty bummed out.
I also had to end the bicycle ride to work and back. The pressure on my arm is just too painful.

Then in February I had a few personal challenges come up. My grandfather passed away, and my wife was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

I totally spiraled after that. I ate my problems. I ate my sadness. And drank them too.
So it's been a pretty crummy four months, but I've made some personal discoveries along the way.

1: However much I might think that eating junk makes me feel better, it actually doesn't. It makes me feel worse.

2: Running brings me great joy. I should always run. Not always enormous distances, but I should run for the mental health it brings me.

3. Drinking. I like beer. A lot. But liking beer a lot shouldn't mean I should have a lot of beer. Just like the overeating - it may feel good for a minute or two - but it leads to sadness.

So here's the plan:

No Snacks.
No Sweets.
No Seconds.
Except Saturdays, Sundays, and the odd Special day.

I weighed myself three weeks ago and found that I was well above my starting weight from 2013. 245lbs. So I stopped the non-S-day consumption of beer, and started running 5k 3 times a week. Same way I started last time.

I'm back down to my official starting weight from last time - 239.9lbs.

So it starts again.

Re-Start Date: June 7, 2015
Current weight: 239
Goal weight: 199
Height 6'0"
Start Date: Aug 27, 2012
Start Weight : 239.6 lbs
Current Weight : 206.5 lbs
Goal Weight : 199.9 lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:40 am

I had to smile at this post because it hit home for me even though I am a 59 year old female vs a 35 year old male. I like my running and I like my beer. I have had a few semi significant injuries to overcome and keep running. I have done No S through the injuries and various other life challenges over the last 4.5 years and have always recovered from any subsequent eating relapses. Yet I am still struggling with my last 10-20 lbs of extra weight.

Fifty K a week is a lot. I am training for a half and only only have worked up to maybe 30 k a week! Good luck to you!
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Sorry to hear you had a pretty crappy period and still some challenges. Your attitude, however, is completely inspiring. You can do it again. And 239 or not- you sound pretty fit, which is half the battle. Welcome back!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

animated

Post by animated » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks all!

I have to admit - the positive attitude is pretty new, and pretty forced these days.

It's similar to noS though - the more days in a row you have with a positive attitude, the easier it gets to maintain it.

r.jean - 30K is a great distance to train at. The trick is to have a "maintenance" schedule - where you can keep going for a long time, and a ramp up period - where you gear up for a certain race or distance. If you stay at mega training distances, you're going to get hurt.

eschano - thanks for the vibes! I think mental attitude can be a habit - just like eating. It can be a good or bad habit. It's up to the user.

Also, day 1: yesterday, SUCCESS
Height 6'0"
Start Date: Aug 27, 2012
Start Weight : 239.6 lbs
Current Weight : 206.5 lbs
Goal Weight : 199.9 lbs