Jammin' Jan's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:36 pm

We're baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!
Jan and her smiley brigade!
LOL...
Maybe you hit "disable smileys" or something...

Hope you're having a Jammin day Jammin Jan!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:45 am

Saturday, Oct. 1, 2005

Happy S-Day everyone!

S-Day treats for me: 4 Oreos, a can of Coke, and some honey on bread that was a snack.

No formal exercise today, but I do have about 7500 steps from moving around here and there.

Hey Deb, you figured out how to do the quote! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:54 am

Sunday, Oct. 2, 2005

Happy S-Day! :(
Exercise: :D

Too much food overall and more junk food than I usually eat. Thank goodness for no-s days!

Exercise: 5000 steps; 14 minutes shovelglove; 20-move stretch routine.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:12 pm

Monday, Oct. 3, 2005

No-S: :D :D

Dinner was at a Chinese buffet that daughter and I have been wanting to try ever since our family moved up to this area. Wonderful food...not greasy and no MSG. Anyway, I limited myself to just one plate of assorted foods (pre-no-s would've been three trips back to the buffet), so I gave myself a double smiley for that.

Exercise: chi kung in the morning, about 25 minutes; a stretch & strengthen program in the evening, about 30 minutes. Only about 5000 steps on the counter; guess it will be time soon to put it away for the season and shift to indoor activities.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 pm

Jan,

The few times that I've had chinese food that one plate rule has required effort. :D :D

Well done with your one plate. I love decent Chinese food too!!!!

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:01 pm

Jammin Jan has a will of steel!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...

Chinese buffets, and especially good ones, must only be visited on S days over here! Wow I am in awe of your self control!!!

Have a great evening and enjoy your double smileys!!!
You certainly earned them!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:14 am

Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2005

No-S: :D

Dinner: bbq chicken, cauliflower, small nuked spud, wheat bread

Exercise: 20-move stretch; upper body dumbbells; bunches o'crunches.
Thunder and lightning and raining buckets today.

navin

Post by navin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:43 am

Thunder and lightning and raining buckets today
Wait, aren't you in Minnesota? I thought it'd be snowing by this time of year. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 am

Actually, they were predicting snow for today at one point, but instead it's just pouring down rain. This whole area is flooding, because this part of MN is low-lying swamp, and the rain is supposed to continue all day.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:02 pm

Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2005

No-S... :D
Exercise... :D :D

Dinner: daughter invited a friend over for dinner, and husband was back from his out-of-town meeting with the Bishop, so my table was filled, and I am happy. :D Dinner was spaghetti with chicken and marinara; home-grown (but not by me; the people in this parish really feed us well!) cucumber; broccoli

Exercise: the 24-hour deluge we just came through left Minnesota's Ten Thousand and First lake in the church hall, offices, and classrooms. So I rented a shop vac at the hardware store and spent the whole afternoon sucking up water and hauling it outside to dump. I should get lots of exercise points for this. Tonight is our first night for religious education classes for this school year, so we really needed to get it done quickly. Boy, I am tired and sore!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:56 pm

Yeeesh Jan!!! You *never* stop!!!! LOL...

Get some rest and replenish that potassium and calcium and magnesium to help reduce soreness...
Love,
8) Deb

The Church is lucky to have such a whirlwind on their team!!! :wink:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:56 am

Yes, the Church here is very lucky, but the whirlwinds are not me...they are two very hardworking ladies named Kathy and Cheryl. I don't do a fraction of what they manage.

No soreness today. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am

Thursday, Oct. 6, 2005

Exercise: :|

Dinner: Shrimp sauteed in olive oil, butter, and garlic, over rice; vegetable egg rolls; green beans. It was a good dinner, and I wish I could've invited y'all to join us!

Exercise: no formal workout, but too busy for a rest day.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:19 pm

Oh Jan that dinner sounds fabulous! Wish I could've been there :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:10 am

Thursday, Oct. 7,2005

Exercise: :D :D

Dinner tonight was tuna-noodle casserole; green peas; whole wheat bread

Exercise: 40 min. chi kung, split between morning and evening; Urban Rangering, 2.5 miles; shovelglove, 14 min. I wasn't wearing my step-counter today, but hubby has 12,000 on his, and we have been walking around together most of the day, so I maybe would have about 10,000.

I decided that I needed a part-time job, so I spent the afternoon doing computerized applications at Target and Walmart. My brain is fried, and the very basic motions of shovelglove feel really good tonight!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Dear Jan,
I heard that Costco pays pretty well... Something like 18 per hour...
You might want to check them out as well, if that's in your neck of the woods...

Good luck!Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:25 am

Saturday, Oct. 8, 2005

S-Day... :D
Exercise... :D

S-Day Treats: pre-breakfast goodie, bagel with cream cheese; pbj sandwich for an afternoon snack; bowl of oatmeal & raisins for an evening snack.

Exercise: an easy day today, just 10,000 steps.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 am

Sunday, Oct. 9, 2005

Happy S-Day! :D
Exercise: rest day

Today was a very special S-day for our family, as it was our daughter's Confirmation day. Our grown kids came from out of town for church and dinner out afterwards, and I am so happy to have everyone together. Tonight they have all gone to see Wallace and Grommit and tomorrow they will go to the Mall of America together. A very happy S-Day indeed!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:02 pm

Monday, Oct. 10, 2005

Lunch was the main meal today. Hubby and I, being childless for the day, went to lunch at Don Pablos where I had the biggest chile relleno I've ever seen, some refried beans, and a scoop of sweet corn cake. I ate 3 chips with salsa before the meal, which is pretty good restraint for me.

Exercise: Mall walking and outdoor rangering, 10,000 steps; shovelglove, 14 minutes.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:11 am

Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2005

Lunch: when our grown kids left for home this morning, they forgot to take their Famous Dave's ribs doggie box with them...hooray for forgetful kids! Them ribs made a mighty fine lunch!

Dinner: leftover tuna noodle casserole; peas; spinach

Exercise: 8800 steps + 14 min. Shovelglove + 20 min. chi kung = a very happy day! :)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Hello Miss Jan!!

I just wanted to say "Happy Birthday"!!!!

I hope you had a good one.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:48 pm

Feliz Cumpleanos Jammin Janita!!!!!
Hope you enjoy it fully and feel great!!!!
May this year be blessed with Health Happiness and Love!!!! :D

Your friend,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm

Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005

S-Day: :D
Exercise: :)

Birthday lunch at Olive Garden: cappelini pomodoro, minestrone soup, breadsticks, hazelnut Italian soda

Additional treat: one piece of magnificent Ghiradelli chocolate

Exercise: chi kung in the morning; 20-point stretch in the evening; only about 4,000 steps on the counter.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:11 am

Thursday, Oct. 13, 2005

Dinner: crockpot chili con carne (ground turkey, tomato sauce, red beans, seasoned with garlic, onion, chili, cumin); tortillas; corn

Exercise: 2 chi kung sets in the morning (12 Moving Forms, and 8 Breathing Chi Kung), about 30 minutes; 9700 steps on the counter.
This kind of daily exercise seems to me to be a fountain of health and youthful feeling.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:03 pm

Happy birthday, fellow Libra!

I'm happy to see you've overcoming your 15 year seasonal snacking habit with barely a bump!

Like me, it sounds like the only thing that can ever get you now is social pressure (the ladies from Church buying you the ice cream). It's wonderful to be down to that level of problem, because it's really not much of one. If fact, if you don't have that problem, at least to a degree, it's probably a sign of fanaticism and a (bigger) problem in itself.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi Jammin J!!!
Hey Reinhard... did you know that you guys are actually
"Librans"?
That almost looks like librarian! LOL..
Love and Astrological silliness,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:29 pm

Hmmmmmmm...once I was a high school librarian. Then a few years later I was a college research librarian. Currently I am the parish librarian.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:13 am

Friday, Oct. 14, 2005

No S: :|

I gave myself a "neutral" smiley because of a snack attack earlier this evening. Dinner was going to be late and I was really and truly hungry. So I had a glass of orange juice and a couple of breadsticks left from the Olive Garden on Wednesday. Dinner was salmon patties, boiled potatoes, and green beans, but I ate a smaller than usual meal because of the snack. So...it wasn't too bad.

Exercise: 13,000 steps and 30 minutes of chi kung. The steps are probably why I got so hungry so suddenly.

Ooooo, tomorrow is an s-day, so I can have another piece of birthday chocolate! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:48 pm

Saturday, Oct. 15, 2005

S-Day: :D

S-Day treats: buttered bagel for an afternoon snack; one piece of birthday chocolate

Exercise: 30 minutes chi kung; 10,000 steps from rangering.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:00 am

Sunday, Oct. 16, 2005

Happy S-Day: :D

S-Day treats: we had a pig roast after Church today, and I had a truly wonderful square of apple crisp for dessert. Tonight after dinner, I ate one more piece of birthday chocolate.

Exercise: 20 minutes chi kung + upper-body dumbbell workout and lots of crunches + 6,000 steps = 9,000 steps total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:06 am

Monday, Oct. 17, 2005

No-S: :) (fine, except for a little munching while I was making dinner)

Dinner: red beans & rice; corn; baking powder biscuits

Exericise: 10,000 steps. Took a nice walk last night to finish off the steps. Moonlight and starlight... I was listening for Elves singing, but it was just very quiet.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Hey Jammin!
I think it was a full moon last night! It sure looked large on the horizon!
I think you are part elf!!! LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:02 pm

Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2005

No S: :D
Exercise: :( Limited to 5,000 steps. Let's call it a rest day and change the smiley to a :) , okay?

Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2005

Dinner: turkey burgers, oven fries, cauliflower

Exercise: Urban Rangering, 12,000 steps; 20-point stretch routine tonight

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am

Thursday, Oct. 20, 2005

No-S: :)

My weight is up a smidgin, so I need to get stricter with myself. I'm going back to a smaller plate. The "one plate rule" works wonders, but not if it's too big for me.

Dinner last night was so rushed, both in the fixin' and in the eatin'. We had Beanie Wienie (that old comfort food standby), broccoli, and the last of the leftover biscuits.

Exercise: 7,000 steps and a stretch routine.

I am happy to announce that I have now joined the ranks of the Gainfully Employed. I got nowhere with Target or Walmart (applying at Walmart was a very creepy experience anyway), so I put in applications to all the fast food restaurants in the town next to ours. McDonald's hired me right away and I start Monday. I'm actually kind of pleased with the way it all turned out and I hope I do a good job for them.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Somehow I get a kick out of the thought of 'healthy eating' jammin' Jan flipping burgers for the golden arches... but why not?!

Hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you'll do an excellent job for them. I've found that any job (no matter what it is) can actually be quite fun and teach you stuff, at least for a while. I've done plenty of that kind of thing when I was a student. Watch out though - those frying machines get pretty hot.

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:24 am

Friday, Oct. 21, 2005

Exercise: :D :D

Lunch was a can of Campbell's Chunky Soup: Roasted Beef and Mushrooms, to which I added homemade dumplings. Mmm-mmm good!

Dinner was at Applebee's...ordered their Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl, but only ate half and brought the rest home.

Exercise...11,600 steps, plus upper body workout with dumbbells. Husband and I were cruising through Walmart this evening, and we found a weight bench, the adjustable kind you use with dumbbells, on sale, marked down from $48.99 to just $9.00. Such a deal! Also, I found a set of dumbbells that are completely wrapped in soft foam, and which also have a strap for the back of the hand. This is going to be easier on my fingers, I think. All in all, a wonderful exercise day!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 am

Saturday, Oct. 22, 2005

S-day treats: buttered bagel as an afternoon snack; 1 piece of birthday candy after dinner, and a bowl of oatmeal with raisins for a late evening snack.

Exercise: 11,000 steps, mostly Urban Rangering.

Sunday, Oct. 23, 2005

S-Day treats: morning snack of toast; finished the last piece of my birthday chocolate.

Exercise: played with my new dumbbells and weight bench. Also tried some new abs exercises that I found in a magazine.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:55 am

Monday, Oct. 24, 2005

Today was my first day at McDonald's. It was just orientation for two and a half hours, so that was okay. They are very big into customer service there, as well as cleanliness. I was glad to see that.

My hours will vary each day, cutting across both lunch and dinner. I am not sure how to do No-S on days like that. Guess I will have a settling in period as I figure out how to eat only 3 meals and not pass out from going without food for many hours at a stretch. I'm not only working around my schedule, but also daughter's (she works at the other McD's in town) and husband's work at the church...trying to keep the family together for meals as much as possible for as long as possible!

This sounds like another 21-Club effort, doesn't it?

Anyway, dinner was grilled tuna melt sandwiches and green peas.

Exercise on Monday was Eight Minutes in the Morning, week 4, day 1, plus about 5,000 steps.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:43 pm

Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2005

Food: I worked 11 to 2, so lunch was split, with a small carton of yogurt and half an apple at about 10, and then the other half of the apple and a couple of slices of bread at 2.

Dinner was at its regular time of 5 pm and it was macaroni with olive oil and garlic, and broccoli on the side.

Exercise: minimal steps, but I did Shovelglove before work, then week 4, day 2 of 8 Min. in the Morning and a full stretch routine after dinner.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Hey Jammin Jan!!!
No need for anything other than a full :D
for any exercise you do!!!!!
You are ahead of many slothful people by just doing a little...
Better a little than none...
I have slipped back into serious slothdom this month, with exception of some home yoga, but very minmal...
I am certain it's because I tend towards this, especially if I my life is lacking structure.... Which it is now...

Just stay in that zone your in and keep on a steppin and chigonging!!!
Rock on little Jan!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:05 pm

Hey Jan,

don't forget that running around MacD's serving customers and sorting things out is also constant low grade exercise of the best kind!

Hope it's going well.
C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:03 pm

Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2005

I worked from 11 to 2 today. Breakfast was at 8; lunch was a carton of yogurt at 2:45 when I got home (unending road construction triples my driving time :( ). Dinner was on time: crockpot bbq chicken, tortillas, corn, peas.

Exercise: before homeschool this morning, I did 8 Min. in the Morning exercises for today. It was difficut because my right wrist is really really sore from dumping those heavy baskets of fries for three hours at a time. Tonight it feels actually sprained. Glad tomorrow is a day off! I need to heal. Anyway, tonight I will do a full-body stretch routine, plus maybe something extra for upper back, as well as hands, wrists, and arms.

Thank you for the kind words, Caroljo and Deb. I haven't served a customer yet, but I have made a bazillion boxes of fries! I wonder if this layer of oil that coats me will condition my hair? Prevent chapped hands in the winter?

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:54 am

could be worse! You could be in a traditional English fish and chip shop, and then the oil would be lard, and you'd smell permenently of grease and raw fish...

Hope your wrist heals up well. Just be careful that you don't develop one arm with 'tree trunk' muscles and the other one normal :lol: Perhaps you should take it in turns to dump the fries with your right and left arms? I used to pull alternate pints in the pub that way.

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:38 pm

Thursday, Oct. 27, 2005

Well, here I've been whining that with working, I have to go from breakfast at 8 to lunch at 2:30, so today I have a day off, and was happy at the thought of breakfast at 8 and lunch at 12. Had breakfast at 8, but got busy and had lunch at 2:30. The funny thing was that I wasn't even very hungry before that.

Dinner: crockpot meatloaf; broccoli; biscuits

Exercise: 8 Min. in the Morning; 6,000 steps. Mostly resting otherwise.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:45 pm

I think we get hungrier when we are under stress... Even when work is not really stressful, it's still more stressful than a day off! LOL..
It's also often more boring!
Eating
Boredom
Connected????

Love,
Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:51 am

You know what, I say to anyone who is reading this....I am absolutely 100% miserable with this job. The noise is deafening, my wrist is in pain from the weight of the fry baskets, the pace is fast forward, too much grease and salt, unhealthy products...all this for minimum wage and no benefits. I have half a mind to call them this morning and quit. Life is too short for this kind of thing.

Venting done, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:08 pm

depends why you took on the job in the first place. If you really needed the extra cash, then quitting is probably a bad plan. If you just took it to fill a little time and bring in some spare pocket money, then I reckon you should probably quit and find something else instead.

Even working in a bar would be better, I reckon. Yes, you have unsocial hours, yes, you have to deal with drunks all day, but at least they tip the barpersons in the states! It's a sociable kind of job where you get to talk to people and there's no greasy fries...

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Sorry to hear your wrists are hurting. Could you speak to your manager and say that doing just fries all day is not working out so well from a health point of view?

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Well, I felt really bad, but this morning, I called them up and told them fast food service just wasn't for me and apologized all over the place. It didn't seem to bother the manager any; I think they are used to people doing this.

Today, I'm going to walk and exercise and eat on time. I feel better now.

You never know til you try, right?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:38 pm

Yo Jan!!!
Good for you!
Sorry you had a yuck experience, but you really did the right thing...
You are a very intelligent person..
I don't see why you couldn't find a decent part time job through, possibly a temp agency, which would pay you better than minimum wage..
Good luck!

ps... In addition to looking for regular extra work, can you find out if there's any place you can set up a once a week Qi Gong class and get people to come and take it with you?.
I don't even think you would need any license for that... Just experience...
You could get a bunch of people signed up for it and charge something fair, like 80 dollars for ten classes or something...
If you get 10 people to sign up, voila!
800 bucks....
Gotta run... :lol:

Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:49 pm

Good for you Jan. I know you're not the type of person to quit lightly and I'm sure they realised that too. Sometimes it's *definately* the right thing to do though... And hey, it taught us all a new Shovelglove move too :lol:

Hope you find something better soon.
C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:28 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And now, stay tuned for...The Further Adventures of Jammin' Jan's Job...

Everything has worked out wonderfully!

After homeschool this morning, hubby and I walked downtown to get the newspapers and the mail. While we were at the little grocery store, I asked the owner if she had an opening for a store clerk/cashier, and she did! She hired me on the spot, will give me all the hours I want, and will pay better than minimum wage! And she insists that I wear jeans and sneakers to work! Does it get any better than that?

It is a quiet, friendly place. I will get to serve everyone in town (population:1275), and it is right here, where I live, no more driving out of town to work.

The Lord heard my cries of distress and had mercy and compassion on me. Deo gratias!

gj

Post by gj » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:36 pm

Wow! That new job actually sounds cool. From evil multinational to small independent - respect.

Love the dress code :-)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:58 am

Brilliant! Fantastic!!!

The Boy No-S (Navin's fault) and I can honestly say as employees of large multinational companies...

...Well Done You! :D

That's great news Jan. You are right that you have been blessed.
C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:45 am

Friday, Oct. 28, 2005

Food: lunch at Applebee's was the Weight Watcher's tilapia with mango salsa, rice pilaf, and barely steamed fresh veggies. Also, a club soda with lime. Dinner was some virtual plating: small carton of yogurt, a glass of apple juice, and a meatloaf burrito (thin slice of leftover meatloaf doused with taco sauce, wrapped up in a tortilla. Strange, but tasty.).

Exercise: Urban Rangering, 7500 steps, which was mostly from a nice walk outside; 8 Min. in the Morning, finished week 4 and will start over with week 1, day 1 on Monday.

Today I start my new and wonderful job. And it's an S-Day, too!

Have a great day everyone!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:28 am

Saturday, Oct. 29, 2000

Exercise: Rest day :D

S-Day Treats: syrup on my French toast.

Exercise: 6000 steps on the counter, but not much else.

First day on the job...love it! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:15 pm

Sunday, Oct. 30, 2005

S-Day treats: a little syrup on my bacon omelette this morning.

Exercise: 6000 steps and chi kung practice.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:12 pm

Monday, October 31, 2005

Made chili con carne for dinner, with salad and baking powder biscuits. Did not touch any of the Halloween candy!

Exercise: only 4500 steps on the counter plus the 8 Min. in the Morning exercises for yesterday. I am still recovering from some McDonald's strains to arms and upper back and so am resting a bit more than usual.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:53 pm

Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2005, Feast of All Saints

No-S: :)

Didn't eat enough at lunch, so I ended up adding a couple of slices of bread and butter an hour later. Shall we call it a snack, or just virtual plating???

Dinner: baked chicken with almonds; peas; potatoes

Exercise: negligible steps on the counter; guess ti's time to put it away for the season. 30 min. chi kung this evening. My back and arms have finally stopped hurting, so I can get back into my exercise routine. McDonald's was really a killer; I'm glad I quit when I did!

(editing to update exercise)
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi Jan,
So glad you got that job at the store in your town, congradulations! :D I live in a very small town also. A new Credit Union is opening here and I had my first enterview yesterday and today I got a call and have a second interview tomorrow. It is part time Mon-Fri. 5 hrs a day. I have a strong desire to get this job, I will know by the end of this week, Friday. Keep up the good work, you are going great!

Hugs!
CarrieAnn :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:30 am

I hope you get the job, Carrie Ann...sounds like it will happen if you are going for your second interview. Best wishes!

Vicky

thank you Jan

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 pm

Hi Jan - Thanks for responding to my message - I think it is out of place - so I was coming in to thank you - I like what you did on the smiley faces - it seems so much easier to express. I think I will do that also, that way I can see where there is improvement - you sound like you have really done well - it is encouraging - I struggle with chocolates and sweets and snacking on sweets - so I do thank you !! Vicky

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:52 am

Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005 All Souls Day

Racing around in many directions on Wednesday, so I put Polish sausage and sauerkraut in my little crockpot -- it was only going to be hubby and me for dinner -- and then cooked some green beans and new potatoes to go with it. Yummy dinner!

Exercise: 30 minutes of chi kung, which was very calming for a hectic day.

My reward for all the activity was that my grown kids spent Wednesday overnight here and they were able to go to Minneapolis together for the day and evening for a fun event. Son asked if I would fix French toast for breakfast. As they say here in Minnesota: You betcha!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Ooh kielbasa potatoes and sauerkraut!
Am I coming over for leftovers???

You betcha! LOL...

Have a blessed day little Jammin Jan!!!
Hope you are enjoying your new job..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:59 pm

Thursday, Nov. 3, 2005

NoS: :D

Lunch and dinner were leftovers. The Polish sausage is really really overcooked by now, but the flavor of it has really gone deep into the sauerkraut. Wunderbar!

Exercise: did 3 days' worth of 8 Min. in the Morning exercises; am now caught up for the week! Also some chi kung in the morning. Hauled groceries in from the garage, too, since no one was home to help me. Everything counts!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:07 pm

It sure does Jammin Jan!!!!
Lets see you make a big muscle now!!!!
Rahhhhh!!!!!

LOL..
Have a great day!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:49 pm

Congratulations on the job, Jan (and sorry about the last one). My only concern is, is this one going to inspire you to come up with any new shovelglove movements? :wink:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:59 pm

Don't know yet...stay tuned!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:18 am

Friday, Nov. 4, 2005

Had lunch at Applebees: tilapia with mango salsa (which makes me think of the Geico cavemen :lol: ), rice pilaf, and barely steamed fresh veggies.

Finally finished up the Polish sausage and sauerkraut, leftover green beans and potatoes.

Exercise: 40 minutes of perfect beauty (chi kung practice this morning) and my 8 Min/Morn. exercises for the day. I'm learning a new chi kung set called Moving Harmony and having a great time of it!

Tomorrow: second weekend on the job and maybe an S or two! :)

Inge

Post by Inge » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:29 am

Have to say how much I enjoy reading your brief but tasty recipes -- keep them coming!!

Inge

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:41 am

Saturday, Nov. 5, 2005

S-Day treats: potato pancakes and bacon for breakfast, with a little syrup.

Exercise: 40 min. chi kung. Lots of squats (Hindu squats, I think) at work. When there aren't any customers, I go through the aisles and straighten up the items on the shelves. There are shelves almost at the floor, so I am up and down, up and down, to neaten everything up.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the weeks go by? Seems like I am always posting my s-day treats.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:30 pm

Sunday, Nov. 6, 2005

S-Day treats: a little syrup on my bacon omelet. I think that was all!

Exercise: rest day.

Monday, Nov. 7, 2005

No-S: :) Some funny business with breakfast

Exercise: :D 30 min. chi kung this morning, 2.5 miles Urban Rangering

Breakfast funny biz: daughter had an orthodontist appointment at 8 am and with road construction on the highway, we had to leave 'way early, so I had a bowl of oatmeal & raisins before we left. But then I was hungry when we got home, so I had a couple of pieces of toast with blackberry jam. So....was this two breakfasts, or one big breakfast split in two? Only the Shadow knows....

Dinner: grilled tuna melt sandwiches; green salad. I am going to try to make these sandwiches on my George Foreman grill instead of the electric griddle.

The job is going well and I have decided that I like grocery store work. The owner gave me my smock this weekend, so I am now Officially There. Guess that's my Jammin' Jan's Job Jacket. :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:56 pm

Hi Jan:

Man, I am so out of the loop. I was checkin on you in your check in and found out that you aren't at McD's anymore. I don't blame you. One of my first jobs when I was 15 was at a Fish and Chips place. I could only take it for a few months as the grease and the smell got to me.

I'm happy that you got the grocery job it sounds so much better!!!!
You realize that you will get the dirt on everyone!!! LOL :lol: I live in a small town too and everyone is inter-connected. It is weird to me since I grew up in LA.

Best of luck,
Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Yo Jammin Jan!
Congrats on your Smock! LOL..
Do you use good *real* maple syrup???
That stuff is so expensive, but considering how sparse you are with it, I bet a bottle would last you for a few months...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:21 pm

Deb, I love real maple syrup, but it doesn't last long around here! I may use it sparingly, but hubby and daughter love it too!

Inge

Post by Inge » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 pm

I always have real maple syrup on oatmeal, if I have it for breakfast. From what I've read on the website, this isn't considered an S, unless you're using it excessively. The real stuff is so intense, just a dribble sweetens the whole bowl!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 am

Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2005

Breakfast was a little smaller than normal, so lunch ended up being a little larger than normal. It more or less mostly fit on the plate, though!

Dinner: I oiled the big crockpot with olive oil, then put a whole chicken in it. Seasoned it with garlic and onion powders and dried rosemary. Then piled peeled potatoes and carrots on top. Cooked it on low all day (9 hours). Added a bowl of corn at the table. A feast!

Exercise: 20 min qigong this morning (8 Piece Brocade); 2.5 mile walk this afternoon; 15 min qigong this evening. What a wonderful day this was!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:49 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2005

No-S: :|

Dinner was pulled pork in bbq sauce. This was leftover and frozen from the pig roast at the church a few weeks ago. Very yummy cooked all day in the crockpot in Famous Dave's bbq sauce! Also cauliflower and new potatoes.

It was hard resisting the urge to snack this afternoon, but I managed.

Exercise: chi kung this morning, and then 2 miles with Leslie Sansone this afternoon.

Adding this on Thursday: finally gave in to the snack attack and had a small yogurt on Wed. night. But, at least it was because I was really physically hungry, and not just mindless munching, and it was yogurt and not junk food.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:14 pm

Thursday, Nov. 10, 2005

Dinner: "Macaroni and Cheese Surprise" (the surprise was the cut-up hot dogs mixed in); green peas

Exercise: about 40 minutes chi kung morning; an hour and a half of pushing my shopping basket through the Super Walmart, then hauling the groceries from the car into the house.

No funny business today! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:36 pm

Friday, Nov. 11, 2005

Dinner was just scrounging leftovers from the fridge, so nothing too interesting.

Exercise: 30 min. chi kung in the morning; 14 min. Shovelglove in the evening. I am going to try to get back into that routine on a daily basis during the school year. Maybe I'll try for a 21-Day Club for SG.

Saturday, Nov. 12, 2005

S-Day treat: syrup on my bacon omelet.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:06 am

Sunday, Nov. 13, 2005

Happy S-Days!
No exercise...rest days.

I worked 11 hours today at the grocery and really didn't have any s-day treats, but I think I ended up with four meals instead of three, so s-day flexibility was really welcome.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Monday, Nov. 14, 2005

Dinner: trying a new recipe tonight: put broccoli florets and thinly sliced beef into the crockpot. Mix 1 envelope brown gravy with 1 cup water. Pour over beef and broccoli. Cook all day on low. The kitchen sure smells good!

Exercise: Chi kung, 30 minutes this morning; Shovelglove, 14 minutes this afternoon.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:07 pm

Here's a friendly tip for anyone who's reading: don't ever, ever, ever, make that recipe I posted yesterday. Broccoli is not meant to be cooked all day in a crockpot. First it got mushy, then disintegrated completely into the gravy, except that the gravy took on a kind of radioactive greenish tinge. No, no, no, my friends, don't make this recipe.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:19 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!

That sounds really yucky!!!
Thanks Jan!
LOL..
Love,
8) Deb

(the crock pot is the polar opposite of quick stir fry in a wok!)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:42 am

brussels sprouts are good done that way though, cos they stay mostly whole throughout, yet get a good mushy texture and soak up all that gravy....

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:09 pm

Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2005

No-S :D
Exercise :)

Dinner on Tuesday was somewhat better than Monday...it was liver (except I forgot to cook the onions), a buttered roll, and lots of cooked spinach.

Exercise: I got a new qigong book with a couple of new sets in it. I had a lot of fun working on those last night (Tues.). Never got around to doing anything else, though. Fortunately, the sets are fitness routines, and I felt stretched and toned when I was done.

Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2005

Dinner is a fun little recipe that I have made before; daughter loves it. Here's the paraphrase version of it:

BBQ Cups

Either buy a can of refrigerated biscuts (8 to 10 biscuits), or make you own in that quantity. Flatten the rounds, and press into muffin tins. Fill with ground beef/ground turkey that has been cooked, drained and mixed with barbeque sauce. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake until browned at 425 F. for about 12 minutes. Oh yum, this is really good. And it's finger food, too; what more can you ask for?

There are endless variations on this theme: veggies and pepperoni/sausage and pizza sauce; spaghetti sauce and mozzarella; taco sauce, add onions & green peppers to the meat, etc. Have fun; play with your food!

Exercise: 2 sessions of the new qigong set I'm working on. I can really feel this in the backs of my legs today! Also will do dumbbells this afternoon. Right now, in fact. Bye.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michele

Post by Michele » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:17 pm

The BBQ cups sound good, I will have to try it sometime. :)
It soundsw like you are doing real good this week, thats great. I need to start my exercising again.
Peace and joy to you!
Sr. Michele :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:26 pm

Thursday, Nov. 17, 2005

No S: :)

Funny Biz: a glass of orange juice this afternoon. Dinner will be late and very rushed and I have thirst that I don't think water is going to quench.

Dinner: venison, cooked in the crockpot with tomato sauce, garlic, onion, and pepper; green beans; new potatoes; French bread.

Exercise: qigong this morning. Old-fashioned calisthenics this afternoon. Cruising through Walmart for groceries and hauling them into the house this evening.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:08 am

Friday, Nov. 18, 2005

Lunch: bacon burger and steamed veggies at Applebees

Dinner: tuna salad, French bread, orange juice

Exercise: 30 min. qigong this morning; 15 min. qigong this evening. Walking indoors at Walmart (Minnesota winter has arrived!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:57 pm

Saturday, Nov. 19, 2005

Happy S Day :D
Exercise :D

Major S Day treat: the new Bread Pudding at Applebees.

Exercise: actually got through the new qigong set I've been learning in 20 minutes. It's quite aerobic, as well as toning.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Official Report on Applebee's Bread Pudding:

Yuck.

It was cubes of cinnamon bread, deep fried, with a cloying sweetness that was not enjoyable. Did not resemble bread pudding at all.

I "collect" bread puddings from all over, so this was a real disappointment.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:27 pm

Hey Jan! I guess once you have had bread pudding from down in New Orleans there are probably not too many good ones after that...

I personally prefer really good noodle kugel....

Love,
8) Deb

ps... Cloying sweetness??? That sounds hideous! LOL....

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:20 pm

"Cloying sweetness" is repetitive, but it was just that way.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Sunday, Nov. 20, 2005

Happy S-Day!
Exercise :D

I was hungry at work when dinnertime came around, so I bought a bottle of orange juice and a banana. A grocery store is a good place to work when you want something healthy to eat! Then when I got home, I had a bowl of Beanie Weinie that my daughter had made for her and Dad for dinner.

Exercise: Shibashi qigong, also Eight Piece Brocade.

Monday, Nov. 21, 2005

Lunch was leftover chili from Saturday night, with a square of cornbread crumbled up in it, and a small helping of leftover cauliflower on the side.

Dinner tonight will be at Applebee's before we go to the Clay Aiken Christmas concert at the Univ. of MN theatre.

Exercise: I am off right now to do something while the clothes are in the
dryer and before we leave for the Twin Cities. Will probably work on the new qigong sets I have been learning. One of them is quite vigorous; the other is (so far!) slow and peaceful. A perfect match!

See y'all tomorrow!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:49 pm

Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2005

No S :D
Exercise :)

We didn't get home until midnight last night, but I still had to be up at 5 a.m. open the church for morning Mass, so I am really dragging today.
The show was absolutely wonderful. Clay (remember him from American Idol?) has really matured and is a very professional performer with a voice that has intensified in range and power.

Dinner tonight: venison hot dogs. I have no idea how long to cook these things. Also whole wheat buns, corn, sweet potatoes.

Exercise: relaxing chi kung this morning because I was to tired to do anything else. Will do a more active set this evening.

Is everyone getting ready for US Thanksgiving?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Here is our Thanksgiving Day menu:

Turkey
Dressing and Gravy
Dijon Roasted Red Potatoes
Asparagus Amandine
Praline Yams
My Grandma's Cranberry Conserve
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crisp
Sparkling Red & White Grape Juice

I'm looking forward to tomorrow...the whole family will be here; Mass in the morning...what more could anyone ask for? :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2005

Dinner: rice & beans (rice, pinto beans, grated cheddar on top; bake to melt cheese); corn; homemade tortillas

Exercise: two qigong workouts, morning and afternoon. Will do something else this evening, too.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:09 am

Friday through Monday, Nov. 28, 2005

Exercise :(

I was working at the grocery store on Fri, Sat. and Sunday, so didn't get a chance to either post here or exercise much. Yesterday's shift was 11 hours and I was really bushed when it was done. I did a little chi kung yesterday morning and some this morning as well, but didn't have time for anything else.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be back in the swing of things around here. Did you all have a good Thanksgiving?

Tonight's dinner is venison in the crockpot, peas, and baked Yukon Gold potatoes.

Kevin

Thanskgiving menu

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:29 pm

Here is our Thanksgiving Day menu:

Turkey
Dressing and Gravy
Dijon Roasted Red Potatoes
Asparagus Amandine
Praline Yams
My Grandma's Cranberry Conserve
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crisp
Sparkling Red & White Grape Juice

I'm looking forward to tomorrow...the whole family will be here; Mass in the morning...what more could anyone ask for?

Football, Jan. Many of us might ask for football. :0)

But them menu does sound terrific.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:05 am

Oh yeah...football...well, we had plenty of that, too!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:12 am

Monday, Nov. 29, 2005

Dinner: salmon croquettes; white rice with garlic and lemon butter; broccoli.

Exercise: morning and evening vigorous chi kung routine, about 15 min. each; stretch routine later tonight.