JEAN'S 2012 Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

Welcome home! :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks Amy! I spent some time reading posts, and it looks like there are a few more people posting. Good to see!

The last 2 days were rough. I went out of town for two days for work which sort of put me back in a lazy vacation mode. I was technically green for eating but I ate out too much. I usually pack food for my lunches. I also had a red day for exercise on Wednesday. I allow myself one yellow a week For exercise but rarely use it. I did not exercise my half hour minimum yesterday after coming off of 2 weeks of straight yellow. (I do not track at all on vacation; I just try to eat reasonably and be active.)
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Getting back into a routine can be tricky, right? I'm sure you will get back on track though, and pick up where you left off. Have a good Friday!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Friday was a yellow day but today is green unless I blow it before bedtime. I also got back on track with exercise ... 7 miles.

Sometimes when I get back from vacation, I just go for as much green as I can get during the first 10 days or so without regard to weekends.

+40
Last edited by r.jean on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Today was green for food and exercise. 2.5 miles. Also lots of cleaning and other work around the house.

+40

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 am

Today was green again for food and exercise...5 miles.
I need to make better food choices though.
Still struggling back after vacation.

+44

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 am

Sounds like you are getting yourself back on that green track! Yay! :mrgreen:
Just out of curiosity, if I may ask...what do the numbers mean at the bottom of your posts?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Amy! I do feel I am getting back on track. I take 2 or 3 long vacations a year and many small trips. For the long vacations or for an extended period of crazy eating (such as Christmas week this year), I have found a recovery solution that works for me. I simply stay green every day until I feel I am in control again. I do not take my S days for a week or two. This is what got me back on track after Christmas and after my February trip. Both times I struggled to get back on track until I used this tactic and gave up S days briefly. I am still somewhat indulgent even on green days, but at least it I am getting away from sweets and snacks and seconds and reestablishing habit.

I also weigh myself daily until I am back to where I was when I left. The number is what I gained...converted to ounces just to be quirky. After it is zero, I will quit weighing daily and will take my S days again. This is the closest I get to diet type behavior, but it is temporary. Also, I do not feel deprived in anyway because I still get three yummy meals a day.

+34

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 am

Oh - ounces! LOL! :D Actually I really appreciate you explaining this - we are going to be gone for a month this summer and I've been wondering about how best to handle it, knowing how difficult it is when out of my normal routine and environment... helps to know how you do it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:17 am

Out of town for work Tuesday and Wednesday but stayed green and took sack lunch first day and kept the eating out meals a little more moderate than usual. Exercise was green: 4 miles Tuesday; 4.5 miles Wednesday.

Exhausted.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 am

Way to go! Have a great Friday!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for stopping by...yesterday was a good day, even though the thoughts of just not complying were there..but if I could just hang onto how great it feels to not binge...how easy I can forget..
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm

can relate to this one! i love the feeling of not being bloated which is how i feel after a binge. i need to try very hard to not feel overfull because it feels great to eat just the right amount
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh you can say that again. You get that wake up feeling without regret and bloat and bad taste in the mouth (maybe that's me?).
And you're like, "please remember this forever"! It feels so good.
One meal at a time.
Good job!
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:29 am

Thursday and Friday were a little off, but I think I will call them green. I had routine medical tests and procedures that required fasting so my meals were at weird times. I also ate some weird things. However, I had three meals and stayed within the basic rules. Exercise was fine Thursday (4 m.) but S day for exercise today.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am

I still feel a little off for the whole month. It has been so busy personally and at work and I am still playing catch up at work from my vacation. I love summer, but summer presents a lot of eating challenges for me. Beer, Brats, Burgers, BBQ, pasta salad, potato salad, etc. There are lots of good vegetables in the summer too, but that is not always what makes it onto my plate.

However, I am stabilizing so to speak and plan to meet my goal of maintenance this month.

+16

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Summer parties and bbq's ARE hard. But honestly, so are holidays from November-October... :shock:
I guess that's why it's all the more important to instill good habits. To put on "our armor", so to say for the challenging times!
I struggle, maybe like you, on the food laid on a table, get a decent plate instead of going back and forth business.
We can do this, though!
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes i agree! Every season does bring unique eating challenges and many people say they gain weight in cold weather more than in the summer. However, summer brings my favorite foods and favorite gatherings so it has always been more of a challenge for me. It is easier this year than last year and hopefully will continue to get easier year round!

Green yesterday; S day for Fathers Day and a family birthday today. Green for exercise (3 miles each day).

+22

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am

I find summer easier in general (all the fruits and veggies) except when we are travelling - being out of routine is a killer.

Sounds like you are getting back to where you want to be - good job!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 am

Good grief! Yesterday was a wild S day! I have not had a day like that for awhile!

Today was green for food and exercise (3 m.). I am not breaking any records. It is hot and I am sluggish.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 am

Hope the week went well for you!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I just realized I had not posted all week! It has been crazy busy at work, and I did not feel great on top of it. (Nothing serious.). Wrapping up the week I had 2 S days and 5 N days, but my overall eating pattern was too much even if it was technically compliant.

I have one week left to achieve maintenance for this month. I don't know.....

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:35 am

So the week was a success, right? Even though you felt you ate too much?

I am gearing up for the last week of the month, too - I want it to be good - solid green.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:37 am

I guess it was a success Amy, but it did not feel like a success. I am doing much better now. The last two days have been A plus green days versus the barely passing with D green days I was having last week. I would settle with B's or C's!

Good exercise. Weight work both days; 4 miles yesterday and 5 today.

I am checking in less because I am so busy at work and personally. This is also why I am struggling with food (and beverages). I decided to spend less time on the computer temporarily, but I am still out here lurking!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 am

I have been doing well all week ... green for food and lots of exercise. My monthly weigh in is Sunday, and I am hoping for maintenance after a 3.6 loss in May followed by a 2 week vacation with lots of challenges.

I am thinking about weighing tomorrow instead. Weekends are not a good time to weigh.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:11 am

I went ahead and weighed in for the month 2 days early and then took a well deserved S day. I took the day off work to support someone else on their rough day. I really did not stray that far from the No S plan, but I ate a lot of junk during my meals. I had hospital food, fast food, and a restaurant meal with a shared appetizer for my 3 meals and a couple Popsicles on top of it all. So...only the small shared appetizer and the Popsicles were S's. I also only got in one mile of walking in today so an S for exercise too! That is rare.

HOWEVER, I am pretty happy that the scale today showed a 1.2 lb. loss. That is great for a month with a vacation in it! I also started training on 6/21 for a half marathon on 10/21. This time I am taking it slow and hoping to avoid injuries.

Glad to be back on track! I have never left No S but I have been a little sluggish.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Gotta love a new month!
I usually set new exercise goals, but I already set up my half marathon training plan. I may have been a little ambitious and may need to scale back a little!

I need to freshen up my eating goals though. I am more successful when I restrict carbs..not eliminate..just restrict. If I focus on meals that contain mainly protein, fruits, and vegetables, I am much more successful. I cut out as much as I can in the area of breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. I do eat potatoes as a cut up small part of vegetable dishes so I minimize them rather than eliminate them, but the others I restrict as much as possible. I am going to work on that this month.

PS. I do not count carbs! I do not count anything.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi that is what I want to aim for as well, have more veggies, fruit, lean meat with minimal carbs. I think what set me off this last time was I was indulging in white pasta as I missed having it, I usually have whole wheat, but for some reason craved the white stuff :)

Today I had a nice brunch and some jelly beans as a snack, I know pure sugar, but I bought the single serving one as if I buy more than that, that would go as well..right in my mouth..

You are doing fantastic, is it mostly from increased exercise and lower carb intake, the white stuff that is..their is something that I read somewhere on the 5 white foods to avoid; sugar, white flour, white rice, salt, and white pasta, something like that.

So here's to July and a fresh new start...for me :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 am

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly with your half marathon training! How exciting!

It sounds like you've got yourself in the right frame of mind to do really well with No-S in July - I'm inspired! :mrgreen:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I had a Wild S day yesterday which I think was the result of a lot of walk/run mileage on Saturday (10 miles) and some general stress and sleep deprivation over the past week. Exercise is key to keeping my weight in check, but it sometimes causes me to be ravenous the day after a good workout. I have also been working a lot and have some extended family stress due to health issues. This means tired and extreme tired means I want to eat!

I played cards in the afternoon yesterday and could not keep away from the cheese curds and the beer. Then I bought a pint of ice cream and ended up eating the whole thing after supper. It was not just plain ice cream either. It was chocolate explosion or volcano or something like that with mini M&Ms and fudge swirls in chocolate custard (from Culver's).

Amy, I am excited about my 10 miles on Saturday. I did not plan to go that far; I just sort of kept going. I am optimistic about the October race, but I scaled by my expectations this week due to the extreme heat we have been having.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 am

10 miles? Awesome! :D I know what you mean about feeling good about it - it's that confidence boost! But yeah, that could definitely explain the hunger...especially combined with lack of sleep.

Love the way you describe that ice cream - makes it sound quite decadent! (or evil - :twisted: - LOL!)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

July was a rough month with some challenges in my life that derailed my normal habits. I did not even use my habit cal regularly. The No S habits were always somewhat there, but strictness was gone. Technically compliant days happened some of the time, but over indulgent platefuls were frequent. The glass ceiling was shattered.

August is a new month. I opted to skip my monthly weigh in because I think it would be more discouraging than helpful. My goal for August is to get back to good habits. On Sept 1, I want to weigh what I weighed July 1 because I am sure I gained a fair amount in July.

My main stress from July was being injured in a car accident. I am well now and was able to start running this week after 3 weeks off. I am very fortunate to have walked away with no lasting injuries from an accident that could have been fatal. Work stresses and health issues for aging parents will continue, and I need to deal with it in different ways than I have been!

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 am

Glad that you are ok! Take care and Happy August! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Im so sorry July was so rough for you! Hopefully August is going to be completely different. I'm glad you're ok. GReat to see you around here!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow - I am so sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time. It must have been really scary - I am glad to hear that you are recovered enough to get running again. Hang in there - I'll be rooting for you for an excellent August!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and good wishes.

The first 5 days of August have been a bit rough. The first was green. The second and third were red. I started out well, but ended up overeating for supper both days. Saturday and Sunday were wild S days due to a family reunion. Exercise has been good. I rested today.

Yet..all is good. The habits are there and compliance with the rules will return.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:39 am

I know what you mean - the base is there, it's just a question of reconnecting with it fully. And indeed, all is well!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:49 am

Days 6, 7, and 8 have been green...not always the best food choices...but green. Exercise has been good..running, walking and one dose of shovel glove.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:43 am

Good going!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Wow. I cannot believe that it has been so long since I checked in. I have even slacked off on habitcal. I am still exercising regularly but not always with the intensity I would like. I still try to stick to the basic no S rules, but I do not track my reds regularly. This is a true turning point for me. After 18 months on no S, I faltered. I did not respond well to some serious stress in July, and I am struggling to stay on track. I have struggled before and have gotten back on track. I have had various stresses and stayed with the no S plan. This time may have been more prolonged, but I am ready to get back with the program!

DAILY POSTING STARTING TOMORROW!
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 am

I can totally relate - I am rebooting myself this week, too...

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 am

Looking forward to reading your posts! Welcome back on the track :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!

Green for exercise but Red for food today. I ate a small piece of coffee cake that someone saved for me. It seemed rude not to, and it was good! I am trying to keep it at that and not give way to the WTH effect and blow the day further.

I am also getting back to vanilla No S. The rules are the rules with no extra rules and no modifications.

PS. I had a small frozen custard after dinner but otherwise held the line on the WTH feeling after blowing it early with the coffee cake!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 am

Red day. Only a little walking and some housecleaning for exercise. Had some after dinner snacking going on.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 am

Hang in there - it took me quite a few red days before I managed to really get myself back on track. Keep focusing on those basics!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Amy! I am making myself post daily...good or bad. I have already been on a short walk with the dog this morning and am planning on a longer run/walk before work. I also have my meals planned for the day. Lack of meal planning is one of my downfalls.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 am

Better day today. Green for exercise (4.5 miles). Green for food. Did not eat out or have any alcohol either.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:12 am

Awesome day. Doesn't if feel wonderful??

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am

Hooray! :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 am

Friday was green for food habits and green for exercise (4 miles).
I ate out twice and had some beer, but technically compliant. I really wanted to keep eating during the football game with friends last night but restrained myself! Thanks for the continued support!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Saturday was green for exercise with an 8 mile walk/run plus about a mile of dog walking. It has been a mild S day. I ate out for lunch and appetizers were abundant. However, I ate some of each appetizer and my mashed potatoes and was full. I took home my entire chicken entree. I had a couple beers as well. Supper is at home, and I may splurge on a small dessert.

Stuck with the meal plan Saturday and had 1 cup ice cream with chocolate sauce.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Sunday: I felt pretty stuffed after lunch and dinner because we ate out. I also had 3 frozen fruit bars. They are only 80 calories apiece, but 3 was a bit excessive. Oh well! It is an S day.

I walked about 2.5 miles today.
Last edited by r.jean on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Monday
5 miles run/walk and 2.5 miles dog walking

Had my usual breakfast and a full big plate of tenderloin, pasta salad, and banana for lunch. BBQ sandwich and chips for supper. Some black coffee, lots of water, one diet 7UP.

No veggies. :?
Chips :(
Otherwise an ok day.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

You are such an exercise stud. I strive to be YOU some day!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks Tobiasmom! I am planning on a half marathon in October. I hope this becomes a complete half marathon versus the one I attempted in May which was shut down due to heat when I was at mile 11. This will be my first completed half if it happens!

3 mile walk/run; 1.5 miles dog walking

Green for food; usual breakfast; leftover chicken breast, 1 string cheese, tomatoes and red peppers for lunch; chicken salad/bacon sandwich; half bacon sandwich, both on light wheat and strawberries for supper; 2 beers

The good: did not eat out
The not so good: should have had veggies rather than 2 sandwiches, but I was especially hungry and craved the protein

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 am

Green day
3 mile walk/run; 1 mile dog walking
BF was the usual
Lunch chicken salad sandwich, raw veggies, banana
Supper at Applebees: small steak, baked potato, onion rings (one very filling plate). 2 beers

Supper was legal but over the top ... otherwise an ok day.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 am

Red Day
Exercise was fine; 3 mile walk/run; 1 mile dog walking.
Breakfast was the usual but it was downhill from there.
Tomorrow is a new day.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 am

I took off work early yesterday. I was upset and met others and ate lunch out and had an afternoon of getting away from it all. This included plenty of beer but no one went home drunk. The problem started with the bowl of free peanuts that you eat and throw the shells on the floor. Then when I got home, I almost minimized the damage with a normal supper, but then the chips called my name.

This just goes to show that old habits die hard.

After over 30 years of working in public safety and child welfare, I am getting burned out. The economy has been a factor in the type of problems we are seeing, and stress on families is at a high point. At the same time workers are getting laid off. A particularly bad case plus news of even deeper staff cuts hit hard yesterday. I am planning to retire at the end of the year.

On top of this, we are looking for new living arrangements for elderly parents and preparing their current home for sale. We are so lucky to have them! It is just a lot going on.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Jean,
I totally get that old habits die hard :) However, don't berate yourself. Given the circumstances you're doing well overall and should be proud of yourself. Just back on the horse/wagon/whatever works for you at the next meal.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Old habits do die hard, but also eating "cues" in certain situations are very tough to avoid: the bowl of peanuts in the shell, everyone else shelling them and munching away. Western culture seems to be full of these constant cues to eat, and it is hard to identify and resist them all the time.

Sounds like you have a lot going on right now, don't get down on yourself for a red day or two.

You are an exercising legend by the way, very cool that you are preparing for a half. I'm inspired to get back to running soon.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement!

You are right about the cues. I was eating those peanuts before I even realized it.

Iron chef I hope you do not wait over 20 years to start running again like I did.

I have found that making myself post...good or bad...is crucial to staying committed. It makes me accountable, and the feedback is helpful.

Today was better. Green day for food and exercise. Day off running but walked 3 miles with dog (split between am and pm).

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Great S day yesterday. Went to the Iowa/NIU game at Soldier Field. I could have planned better for food, could have taken healthy stuff for the car ride. I ended up eating pretty junky stuff all day, but oh well.

PS I wanted NIU to win. I grew up in Iowa but spent 6 years watching NIU football while our oldest got a masters there.

Managed to get in a 5 mile walk/run and a mile of walking before leaving along with the normal walking you get in any time you go somewhere in Chicago. So...green for exercise.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Sunday was another great S day with family centered activities. I ate moderately until a supper cookout where I had seconds on potato salad and also 2 brownies and some beer. Other than a little dog walking, I took the day off for exercise.

Labor Day was a charity run (5K for me; 5 miles for some). It was sunny, hilly, hot, and humid so I was fine with a rather sedate 36:48 time. We are planning a marathon relay in 3 weeks with 5 of us splitting the distance. Luckily my share is the shortest at 3.3 miles. Hopefully it will be cooler and faster!

Labor Day also ended up as an S day with another cookout.
Walked 1.5 miles with dog also.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 am

Tuesday was green with moderate eating and 3.5 miles walking.

Wednesday exercise was WATP 2 miles plus 1.5 miles walking and eating was green...not fantastic, but green.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 am

Thursday: 5.5 mile run/walk plus 2 mile walking.
Green for food; barely compliant but green..
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Friday: Storming this morning; stayed inside with WATP 2 mile; 1 mile walking later. S day for annual after work party with my team. Had a fantastic time!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Saturday: S day for food and exercise. Walked one mile. (My exercise minimum to call it green is 30 minutes.)

Sunday: 7 mile run/walk and 1.5 miles walking
S day for food. This is my second week with an extra S day...need to quit that!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am

I woke up today inspired to do better. I want to be ready for a half marathon in 6 weeks, and I need to look a little more at what I have been putting in my mouth. I have been eating too many sweets on S days which is unusual for me, and I need to lay off the alcohol. Recently I have been with people who drink more, and I join in to be social. This is adding daily calories and making me sluggish. I do limit my drinks per day but I need to consider how drinking more days in the week adds up calorie wise. I am just going to log my consumption for now which keeps me honest about it. As far as the sweets go, I need to just cut those out entirely for awhile. Sweets are not normally my weakness, but once I get into the habit of too many sweets, I eat them mindlessly.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 am

3 miles walking
Green for food and exercise.
Helping family paint after work then out for pizza.
2 beers.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 am

Green for food and exercise: 3.5 miles walk/run and 1 mile walk. 2 beers at a sporting event.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 am

Green for food and exercise. 3.5 mile run/walk and 1 mile walk. One beer
Maintenance is progress.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

You really seem to be doing well....happy for you!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks Snapdragon! I have been reading your thread as well, and it is good to see you posting again. It has been a rough summer, but I do feel like I am headed in the right direction again.

Today was definitely red though! Went sort of crazy tonight. Green for exercise with 4 mile walk/run and half mile dog walk. Three (oops) beers.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Had hand surgery yesterday to repair a torn tendon and cannot use my right hand for 6 weeks. I was also told not to run. I guess I will not be doing a half marathon this fall, but I will be going along and walking the 5K races. Life has had a few bumps lately.

Green day for food Friday..only ate once because of surgery. Yellow for exercise.

Walked 6.5 miles today (Saturday).

Saturday ended up being green for food also. I had an ice cream treat in the fridge but was full and gave it to my son when he stopped by.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Here's to a speedy recovery, rjean!

Hope you're feeling better soon :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks Roxy!

Sunday I had another green day just because nothing especially tempted me. I was also green for exercise with 4 miles of walking.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

Monday was green for food and exercise but only did 2 miles.

Tuesday was green for exercise but I had an S event with a piece of cake after supper. I am calling this an S event rather than red because I was green all weekend and because it was a sick day. I went back to work today and did not make it through the day due to pain. My DH brought me a baked potato with fixings and a piece of my favorite cake for supper. I sometimes save the treats he gets me, but this one I ate and I relished!
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 am

Hope your hand is feeling better soon - that must be very painful, having surgery on it.

I've had one heck of a rough summer too...trying to regroup and get my life back on track in the direction I want it to go now...

We can do it, in spite of the setbacks. We just have to keep plugging along, right?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 am

Hi Amy!

I definitely will keep plugging along and hope you do too. Helps to see some of the same people hanging in there.

I had a green day for eating and exercise on Wednesday, but today was a red. My son was here when I got home and after a day of pain, relaxing with a few beers and good food seemed the way to go.

They tell me the pain subsides after 2 weeks!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:55 am

Friday was green for food, but I took a yellow for exercise. This has been an exhausting week.

Saturday was an S day but the only S was 2 cookies after dinner.
Exercise was minimal but probably met the half hour minimum.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 am

S day. Pretty disorganized eating day. Feeling a little bloated.

Good day for exercise. Did a marathon relay with family. I was originally told that I could not run for 6 weeks after my hand surgery, but then I got the go ahead. I wrapped it well and was cautious but turned an okay time for my segment. As a 5 person team, we came in a little over 4 hours. It was fun.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 am

Monday was green for food and exercise. 3 miles
Tuesday was green times 2 as well. 3.5 miles
Wednesday was green for food and yellow for exercise. I am call this week and put in lots of extra hours Monday and Tuesday and needed to sleep in.
Thursday was green times two. 3 miles.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Took my S days on Friday and Saturday.
Exercise was green both days with 2 miles Friday and 7 miles

Sunday...red for food green for exercise...2 miles
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Sounds like you are doing well and hanging in there - glad to hear your hand was healed enough to do the relay!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm

I am hanging in there Amy, thanks!

In spite of the stresses, I am at least maintaining my weight and that is amazing!

Hope you are hanging in there too!

Green for food and exercise today..3.5 miles
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am

I'm doing my best to hang in there, too - thanks! Stress makes everything seem so much harder, but I guess we just have to push through it...

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Wed. Green for food and exercise...3.5 miles
I am working on speed running versus distance since I decided to do a 5K rather than a half in Des Moines later this month. Of course speed is a relative term given my age and level of fitness.

I am going to a conference in Chicago the next 2 days and anticipate some food challenges. However, we had a potluck at work yesterday, and I did okay. I stuck to my one plate and had no sweets.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 am

Thursday was green. My meals were pushing the limits and I had some beer but it was a green day. Walked many miles on a beautiful day in downtown Chicago.

Friday was an S day for both food and exercise. The conference had good meals and I went ahead and enjoyed extra bread and a dessert at the luncheon. Then came the trip home so I only got in a little walking.

That means today or Sunday needs to be green since I flex my S days between F, S, S.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Started Saturday the right way with a 7 mile walk/run (1:19:31) plus a mile cool down with the dog.

Started with a reasonable breakfast and lunch and went downhill from there. Definite S day.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

Sunday was green for food yellow for exercise. I walked with the dog but it was less than the minimum half hour.
Maintenance is progress.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi there, just stopping by to wish you well. You are so consistent with your exercise, that is great to read! Strong bones will pay you back tenfold as you age. Hope your hand is feeling better :)
Berry

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Congratulations on your success, and thank you for the advice in my journal (re: learning which posters to skip and which to read). :)
~ Laura ~

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:45 am

Hi Berry! Thanks for the good wishes. The hand is slowly healing and I am getting pretty good with my left hand!

Best of luck Tunafishkid!

Green for food and exercise...7.5 miles.
It was a busy day and I just finished supper and now am going to bed. I know this is probably not the best idea but At least I kept it a small supper.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

Tuesday was technically compliant but I ate out twice with not the best choices. Exercise was green. 2.5 miles
Last edited by r.jean on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 am

I did not realize I had not posted since Tuesady.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were all 2-3 miles per day.
All three days were green except one S event. I had a piece of homemade apple pie for a friend's birthday treat today.

I need to get some running in.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 am

Friday was green but not great. Meals were large. Exercise was 2.5 miles walking. It has been a stressful, tiring week. I have not run since Monday.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Ran/walked Saturday (5 m) and Sunday (4.5 m). It felt good.

S day both days.

I feel like I am finally back on track. Now I would like to start losing some weight again.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:04 am

Monday was a really good eating day. I ate less than usual yet felt satisfied. I also ran and walked (4.5 m)

I did not get much sleep. Today will be a walking only day.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 am

Green eating days Tuesday and Wednesday.

Walked 2.5 miles Tuesday and 1 mile Wednesday (yellow)
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

I have a cold, and I always want to eat more when I have a cold. I have learned to just go ahead and eat more while still trying to be no S compliant. If I try to fight it, I usually end up losing the battle and end up with a red day. I also try to walk but I forego vigorous exercise.

It is cold and rainy which does not help!
Maintenance is progress.