Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 am

Good job!
Lisa, mom to 7

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks!

Today, Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk and 1/2 sliced banana
L - leftover baked eggplant parmesan, sliced strawberries
D - broiled salmon, piece of bread with butter, olives, cherries

I haven't done my exercise yet, but will do 15 pushing hard on the stationary bike and 15 of weights. As much as I hate to admit it, I think 15 minutes on the bike like that is as much as I can do. 10 was pretty hard last night. It's much, much harder for me than walking, which is mostly the only form of cardio I've been doing.

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:15 am

Do you ever go cycling? The Bay Trail is great. No traffic, and almost all flat.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:35 pm

I have a bike that I haven't ridden since I moved here a year and a half ago. I'm not even really sure why. I'd really like to get back to doing that. I'll definitely check out the Bay Trail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday, Wednesday, SUCCESS.

B - cereal with milk and half banana
L - (take out) chicken quesadilla, about a dozen freshly made tortilla chips with salsa, fruit leather
D - (emergency substitution after my sandwich managed to get ruined and I was stuck at work) lara bar, cherries

Walking and abs work.

Julie

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm

You seem to incorporate fruit at the end of each meal. I do the same for some reason it really ends the meal and keeps me full/satisfied.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I got my bike out this year and wiped the dust off and bought a new helmet. The old one had been in the closet so long that the lining had deteriorated. However, I only rode it a couple of times. I challenge you to ride your bike this weekend and I will too. :mrgreen:
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 am

Haha, ok, deal, Jean. Although I might need til Monday to get my ride in, but I'll make that my deadline.

B - cereal with milk and 1/2 banana
L - cheddar and avocado on sourdough, potato chips, strawberries
D - brie with whole wheat crackers, few olives, few cashews, few doritos, cherries

Not the healthiest dinner ever, but I had a really stressful afternoon at work with some drama with a contractor we work with so I'm pleased with myself for keeping to the general plan.

Had a nice, but short (15 minute) walk this afternoon, and 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 15 minutes of upper body weights after dinner.

Julie

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:48 am

Sounds like a good day. I like the variety of movement.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 am

Sounds like you worked in lots of exercise. WTG!
Lisa, mom to 7

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks! It felt good to get all that in. Today I haven't gotten in much at all. It's been a long, rough day and although it's only 5:15 I can barely hold my head up. I'm giving myself the day off exercise and will guarantee it being made up tomorrow.

But, still, a SUCCESS for the day. Last year at this time I would 100% for sure gotten a sweet of some sort for breakfast (or more likely a part of breakfast) after a very unpleasant and much dreaded early morning meeting. This year it crossed my mind and was quickly ruled out as an irrational idea and unnecessary waste.

B - (at work, because I was there at 7:30) oatmeal with pecans and brown sugar, 1/2 banana
L - (out, because I was at work at 7:30 and bringing one meal was success enough :) ) tuna on rye with cheddar, potato chips
D - cereal with milk

I'm reserving the right to have fruit later tonight if I want. I actually think I'm going to fall asleep insanely early so just skip it, but if that's not the case I'm ok with adding that bit to my virtual dinner plate.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:11 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Pretty good. Two treats, but each in moderation. And a lot of walking.

B - cereal with milk
S - fairly small homemade brownie (the one I put in the freezer from the batch I made two weeks ago)
L - homemade banana pancakes with butter and real maple syrup, chicken sausage, cherries
D (out, with friends) - shared thai food in perfectly reasonable portion until a little less than full
S - (out, with friends, immediately after dinner - about 2/3 of a dessert crepe (2 shared among the 3 of us)

Walked a ton today and ending the day feeling good.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:01 pm

I got my bike ride in this morning, but I had to force myself. However, it was actually pretty pleasant so I am glad I did it. I am sure I would not have done it without challenging you to do it. Hope you are able to get a ride in too!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 am

Congrats, Jean! I'm proud of you for doing it. I got my bike tires filled and the bike cleaned up and will go for a ride tomorrow, as promised. I won't let you down on this. I'll come report my success on your thread tomorrow. :)

I did pretty well today and feel good about the week overall. And ready for another strong one to start tomorrow. I have a whole bunch of meals out this coming week so will need to keep an eye towards health and calories as I go, in addition to general vanilla No-S.

Today:

B - cereal with milk
L - frozen thin pizza with pepperoni (640 cals for the record/size description), cherries
D - about 1/2 ounce of brie, about 1/2 ounce of whole wheat crackers, salad with lettuce from my garden (yay!! my first crop!) with craisins and pecans plus lemon olive oil and balsamic vinegar
S - cup of red velvet ice cream (yes, that's technically a double serving, but only half the pint so twice as good as the portion might have been :) )

No real exericse, but I did spend half an hour in the garden and did some shopping.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Fail yesterday. Lessons: Don't be ridiculous: no matter how small lunch was and how hungry that means you now feel, you can wait for dinner -- you just don't want to, but are stronger than that. And make sure lunch is sufficiently filling. And, finally, if you're going to "mess up," do it with an apple rather than a large cookie. Seriously? Are you two? Or actually starving? No? So enough already.

I also didn't get my exercise in and feel bad about that. Plus a little extra shlumpy today.

But it's one day, and one part of it at that, so I move on and do better today.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Oh well...we all have our days! Hang in there!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 am

Hang in there!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm always disappointed in myself when I mess things like this up for no good reason. But, I moved on and yesterday, Tuesday, was a SUCCESS. It was a 9am-midnight day, though, so I didn't do any exercise, but given the time constraints I'm okay with that.

B - cereal with milk
L - smallish serving (because a good chunk of it spilled when I microwaved it, sadly) of oatmeal with spoonful of homemade cashew butter, sliced strawberries, nectarine
D - (out with a colleague) sushi (2 pieces nigiri, 1 hand roll, 1 larger roll), 3 gyoza, few bites cucumber salad

I did get in about 20 minutes slow walk after dinner, but I wouldn't really call that exercise. It really was the best I could do yesterday with the time limits I was facing. Today is a normal day, though, so no excuse for not taking a bike ride and doing some resistance work.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk and sliced banana
L - cheese and avocado on rye, potato chips, sliced strawberries
D - tuna melt, few olives, plum

Finally took that bike ride I've been talking about. It was only 20 minutes, but I'm glad to have started. I discovered that my bike really needs some more TLC -- it's awfully creaky. I'll have to spend some more time getting it more prepared for riding longer. I also spent 15+ minutes on upper body work.

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:30 am

Funny, when I take my bike out after a long time of not riding, I'm the one that's creaky, not the bike!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Mmmm......homemade cashew butter. Do you make it in a food processor? Sounds so good! I am always commenting on people's yummy food. I love to cook! But I sound like a foodaholic!!!

Have a great day.

PS: Thanks for the encouragement!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Good job on the bike ride! I am also glad that I finally got my creaky old bike out!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:40 am

Cashew butter is super fast and easy to make with a food processor. You just throw in cashews, a tablespoon or so of oil, a touch of sugar, and a touch of salt (if you want, I do), grind it up and you're done. It took me about three minutes and is insanely better than what you can buy in the store.

SUCCESS today, Thursday.

L - cereal with milk (yes, again), sliced strawberries
D - (out, at an informal staff outing) 1/2 large cheeseburger, bunch of fries with ketchup (the full serving that came with my burger), 1/2 beer

Buncha walking urban ranger style, upper body work for exercise.

Julie

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 am

Oooh, I love home-made cashew butter. We've only made it once but it took seconds to do. Must buy cashews tomorrow and make some more.

Yum!!
When nothing goes right...go left.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm

How many cashews to one tbsp of oil?
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:07 pm

It was about a cup per tablespoon. I believe I actually did end up adding a tad more because it seemed to dry and gloppy (which is a very technical cooking term, I'm sure :)).

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks! I am definitely going to try this.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Yesterday, Friday, SUCCESS. I was feeling quite sick so took the day off of exercise (and the late afternoon through just now off of everything).

B - cereal with milk
L - leftover half of the large cheeseburger, potato chips
D - chicken soup with a matzo ball, buttered toasted bagel (sadly, didn't have cream cheese so went the butter route)

I'm not feeling perfect today, but am feeling much better.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:33 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Fine.

L - 1/2 bagel with chopped liver, last of the doritos, black and white cookie
D - mini frozen pizza, dates

Still rather sick so spent the day laying around. I'm definitely starting to feel better, though, so that's good.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Way too much and left feeling a little bit blah. I never ate lunch, but instead just snacked on sweets at the theatre. And then had too much for dinner.

B - cereal with milk and banana
S - 3 newman's chocolate sandwich cookies (like oreos,), large handful of m&ms
D - most of a small (delivered) pepperoni pizza
S - ice cream cookie sandwich (a really good one, at least)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 am

Monday, SUCCESS. Not the healthiest day, but vanilla success and that's what I needed today.

B - cereal with milk
L - 1/2 bagel with chopped liver, piece pepperoni pizza (leftovers from the weekend)
D - 2 pieces challah with cream cheese, potato chips

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B- cereal with milk and a bit of sliced banana
L- matzo ball soup, large piece of challah with generous spread of chopped liver, apple
D- salad with lettuce and a little spinach from my garden plus craisins, pecans, and blue cheese with poppy seed dressing, 2 slices challah with butter, 3 dates

I guess I need to make some exercise happen. I took a short walk this afternoon, but definitely need something more.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:56 am

I pushed myself to do my exercise and am so glad for it. I'm feeling so much better. In addition to my little 15 minute earlier walk I did 15 minutes upper body work and 18 pushing hard on the exercise bike. Is planned 15, but when I hit that I thought I could do a few more minutes so I did.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:17 am

You rawk!!!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk and some sliced banana
L - bagel with cream cheese and avocado, handful of cassava chips, sliced strawberries
D - (out, with the boy) virgin pad thai with tofu and shrimp

Walked somewhat slowly for 45 minutes and did 30 minutes resistance work, half upper body and half lower/abs.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Thursday, SUCCESS. Although not a very healthy eating day. Oh well.

L - (take out, for no good reason) 1/2 taco salad with chicken, sliced strawberries
D - (out, with an old friend) 2 sliders (we split a plate of 4), fries, pint beer

The taco salad was very fresh and nice with lots of lettuce and cabbage mixed in plus some corn and beans plus some not so healthy, but very tasty guacamole, and, of course, the very not healthy but wonderful shell.

About half an hour walking. Not a major exercise day either.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Friday, SUCCESS! Another day of restaurant eating, though.

B- cereal with milk
L- (out with a friend) 2 large slices nice pizza
D- (out with the boy) 1/2 horned beef sandwich, 1 potato latke

Bunch of walking urban ranger style.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Congrats on a week of success! Do not worry about the eating out, etc. You are doing it!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks, Jean! I really do feel like even though it's definitely still a struggle sometime I've gotten over the hump to where I know I'll keep doing this forever, and with that, that I will eventually also lose weight. Just slowly as weeks like this happen. But that's why I can do it forever -- because I can still go out and live life without abandoning anything.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:02 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Solid.

B (out) - good portion of a 3 egg omelette with bacon and goat cheese, really good home fried potatoes, 1/2 pieces thick, dense, wonderful buttermilk dill toast with butter and about 1/4 piece thick, dense, wonderful whole wheat toast, couple bites spinach and provolone strata, glass of fresh squeezed orange juice
L - (small and late after the big breakfast) piece of challah with butter, raisins
D - (at a friend's) olives, cheese, crackers, paella, green salad, slice of mixed berry galette, glass of wine, sprite

Some walking today, but not a ton. Otherwise, off from exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:40 am

Sunday, S-DAY. So-so. Not a disaster or anything, but I've felt better. A better/bigger lunch and no afternoon popcorn would have been a better decision.

B - cereal with milk
S - brownie fresh from the oven
L - small serving of paella leftover from last night
S - microwave popcorn
D- piece of challah with butter and nice cheddar, large peach
S- another brownie

Julie

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 am

I feel so full from my eating today, though it wasn't crazy. Just a lot of picking and no real meals. Your day sounds good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

B - large cereal with milk
L - leftover proscuitto and arugula pizza from Friday, fruit leather
D - boca burger with blue cheese on a "skinny" wheat bun, small boiled potato, grapes

Walked 30 minutes with a little bit of jogging mixed in (per R.Jean's just occasionally jog a little while you're walking advice) and 15 minutes upper body work.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:44 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

It was sugary things at the theatre day today apparently, but I kept away from them. At one point, I literally moved a plate of cookies further away from me during a meeting. Totally interrupted everything, but whatever. I felt my resistance waning and needed more of a physical barrier. :)

B - cereal and milk (surprising I know)
L - bagel with cream cheese and avocado, few cassava chips, 4 dates (literally the last fruit I had in my house)
D - (out, with a friend before going to a movie where I very easily didn't snack, probably made easier by my dinner being so heavy) cheeseburger and 1/2 order of fries

Did 20 minutes on the exercise bike this morning, my longest so far. And 15 minutes of upper body work.

I head out of town on vacation tomorrow. I'm planning to keep healthier habits generally in mind, but not institute very specific rules. It'll be an experiment -- we'll see how it goes.

Also, for the month I officially didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain any either. This is actually a big improvement for me. So far for the last year I lose a few pounds one month and then gain it back the next. Keeping it off is far superior. Plus 1/2 inch gone via measurements and I am wearing my belt one loop tighter so something is happening here. Slow going, but it's going. And I truly do feel an improvement in habits, which is really great. There's not a ton of outward, visible change yet, but I feel proud of myself because I can tell change is happening.

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Good for you!!!!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:55 pm

For the record and my memory, did my exercise this morning and ate breakfast as usual. Packed a sandwich to be the base of lunch and will let myself get some chips to go with it, or dried fruit if I can find some at the airport (somehow I let myself end up with zero fruit options in my house). Dinner's harder as I'll still be traveling, but will figure out something at least vaguely reasonable at the SLC airport before getting on the plane for leg number two.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Have fun!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks! I did have fun and I did do pretty ok with food. My travel day there was green. Dinner options were incredibly limited, but I did the best I could and kept to vanilla no-s. Thursday I had 3 chocolate chip cookies and really enjoyed them. Friday I had a little dish of this dessert fruit salad that included mini marshmallows with my dinner. Saturday I had another serving of that with lunch plus an afternoon ice cream cone with my dad (so worth it). Sunday was a little crazy and more grazy than I usually am, but a Sunday and I didn't feel sick so ok. Monday my stepmom made cinnamon rolls for brunch and that's what I ate. I didn't eat again until dinner, but did have ice cream (at home, but a local really good kind) at night for dessert. Yesterday I'm calling a failure. I snacked rather needlessly and no mediocre things. I didn't crash the car, but the bumpers pretty dented.

Today, I'm back to normal. Breakfast was my usual cereal. I'm about to go get lunch (I have basically no food in my fridge at the moment). I have a work event tonight that I assume will include some appetizers and I'll likely make a plate of those my dinner. Tomorrow is opening night of the show so from dinner on will be NWS. Bad timing being just back from vacation, but the next opening isn't until mid-November so I continue to let it be ok. I will not allow anything out of normal plan until the dessert that's served with dinner.

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the other threads yet, but look forward to that too.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh, and I got my exercise in Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. One day short of the goal, but better than I've done in the past.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:02 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS.

B - cereal with milk
L - fig and procuitto panini, small serving of mixed greens with vinaigrette, grapes
D - (turned out there was no real food at the event)oatmeal made with touch of milk, brown sugar, and chopped walnuts

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:27 pm

I did well Thursday eating normally except for the inclusion of a small, nice dessert at the donor dinner. Friday, however, was an eating disaster. The lesson learned is I need to think about how to handle things when I'm very tired and my schedule is disrupted. I think I'll do better next time.

It was also an excessive food eating weekend and I feel a little blah from that. But I'm on track today and despite the sugar cravings (after way too much sugar over the last few days) know that I'll be fine with food for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 am

Monday, SUCCESS. It's amazing how quickly I can get back to feeling better.

B - (on the run) baked chinese egg bun thing
L - (working from home so could have warm food!) grilled cheese, veggie chips (the kind that's really vegetables), a few tiny carrots from my garden (the first I've got to try!), 2 coconut date rolls
D - about 2 oz. whole wheat pasta with homemade pesto (with basil from my garden!) and sauteed mushrooms, plum

This is the first time I've ever made pesto. It's definitely very easy. I'm suddenly using my cuisinart a lot more and really liking that. It means I'm actually cooking things. :)

Did 30 minutes of resistance type exercise, split between upper and lower body.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Tuesday, SUCCESS. I was feeling sick again with this same awful cold, but kept on track food wise. I did take the day off of exercise, though. I really needed the rest.

B- greek yogurt with honey, sliced banana, splash of grape nuts
L - bagel with cream cheese and avocado, veggie chips, dried apple
D - leftover pasta with pesto and mushroom, date rolls

Julie

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Coconut date rolls sounds really good!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:27 pm

They are, Snapdragon!

Wednesday, SUCCESS! I had to repeat to myself that I don't eat doughnuts on Wednesdays a few times to resist the really yummy looking ones that were sitting out at work, but resist I did.

B - cereal with milk
L - pizza (it was kind of a rough day so I ended up ordering for the staff, which, of course, included me)
D- pan seared salmon and zucchini, brown rice

Was still feeling pretty blah in the morning so gave myself another sick day on exercise. I'm feeling much better today, though, so will definitely do my work tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:09 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk
L - leftover piece of pizza, 1/2 tuna sandwich, large handful of chips, medium handful of dried apples
D - 2 TBS (ish, I didn't really measure) of homemade cashew butter, stoneground wheat crackers, large plum

I haven't done any real exercise yet, but I will tonight. Really, I will. Really.

EDIT -- Exercise done. 15 minutes pushing myself on the exercise bike and 15 minutes upper body weights.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Friday, SUCCESS! But not very healthy eating, particularly at dinner, which can only barely be called dinner.

B - cereal with milk
L - 1/2 tuna sandwich with cheese, big pile of chips, apple
D - (out, post work for drinks) 1/2 stout beer, shared portion of spinach artichoke dip and bread, bunch of olives

Took afternoon and evening walk. Neither very fast, but combined did a pretty good amount.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Saturday, S-DAY, but without any S's (except Sometimes, I guess).

B - greek yogurt with honey, grape nuts, sliced banana
L - bagel with cream cheese and avocado, veggie chips, date rolls
D - (out) sushi -- shared 2 rolls plus had 7 pieces (incredibly good and fish heavy) nigiri, few bites cucumber salad

Lots of walking -- about 1.5 hours through golden gate park and about half hour back, forth, and around farmers market, plus urban ranger style walking for transpo through out day.

The day felt good and with meals like this I couldn't have felt at all deprived. It wasn't that I said I couldn't have snacks or sweets, but it never ended up coming up and I didnt want anymore than I had at any point.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Pretty good amount of food, but not the least out of control.

B - cereal with milk
L - (at the renaissance faire) sausage on roll, few bites of fried artichokes, few french fries, frozen chocolate dipped banana
D - (out with a friend) 1 large veggie samosa, small serving of aloo saab, medium serving of chicken korma, 1/2 piece naan

I'm quite full from dinner, but also craving chocolate so I might have a brownie from the freezer or handful of chocolate chips a little later tonight. Or maybe not.

Decent amount of walking with about 3.5 hours spent at the faire.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 am

Didn't add any chocolate last night. I wasn't hungry and it was pretty easy to leave it at that.

Today, Monday, SUCCESS.

B - cereal with milk
L - bagel with cream cheese and avocado, veggie chips, cut up plum and nectarine
D - pan seared salmon and zucchini (both in olive oil), blackberries

No exercise yet and it's pretty warm out and in my apartment so want to give it a little more time to cool down, but am planning on making something happen.

EDIT -- exercise complete. Mostly upper body and abs work with a little self directed yoga thrown in. It's too warm in my apartment for me to handle the bike, and dark too early for me to do something outside.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:08 am

I spent the last few days in Atlanta for a conference. While I haven't been doing awful, I haven't been doing great and am feeling rather gross for it. I need to get eating completely back in control. I need to be more strict about weekdays and I need to push myself to really exercise. It's always harder to get tougher when things have been looser, but I also know I haven't wandered that far and can reign it back in so that's what I'll do.

Today I flew back to Oakland from Atlanta which made for a weirdly timed eating day with extra hours suddenly pushed into my day. I ate three meals, though. Lunch included two small cookies on the plane and I had licorice at the movies tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:07 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Ok.

B - irish oatmeal with butter and brown sugar, buttered rye toast
L - baked fries and 4 baked "fried' shrimp, 3 bites of a brownie before deciding I didn't really like it much and getting rid of it
S - large serving of ben and jerry's mint cookie ice cream
D - (out) fresh veggie spring roll, pumpkin and beef red curry with brown rice

About 2 mile walk. Meals for the week planned and groceries bought.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Monday, SUCCESS. Although ate pizza for both lunch and dinner and no exercise done.

B - cereal with milk
L - piece of potato and rosemary pizza, plum
D - 2 pieces pepperoni, ricotta, mushroom, olive pizza

I'm actually entirely fine with my decision not to exercise. I unexpectedly needed to use the time for relationship stuff, which in this case and on this day was more important for my overall life.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:37 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS.

B - cereal with milk
L- small leftover portion of pumpkin and beef curry with brown rice, large handful raisins, handful dried apples, about 10 almonds
D - (I actually cooked, it's been a while!) sauteed chicken with apple and cranberries, wild rice

No real exercise yet, but laundry, dishes, apartment cleaning. I'll do some more in a bit.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

B - grape nuts with milk and sliced banana
L - (out with a colleague) "virgin" pad thai with tofu (and, it turns out now, broccoli, carrots, and cabbage)
D - homemade strawberry banana smoothie made with milk and greek yogurt, large hunk of fresh challah with butter

Some garden work tonight, but no real exercise yet. I'm waiting for the apartment to cool down some, but will do it. I'm thinking one of the more strenuous yoga dvds I have, but haven't entirely decided.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:43 am

Yep, went with yoga. And it felt really good.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 am

Great job on the yoga - Good for you!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks, Janie. My back is sore for it today, but I'm happy to see I'm working muscles I clearly haven't in a while.

I did also exercise Tuesday night, for the record. I noticed I never recorded that.

Today, Thursday, SUCCESS. It is technically a holiday, but since I'm not with people for any meals I just kept to the system (except I had a little honey with my apple at dinner, but really not much more than one might put in tea).

L - 3 coconut date rolls, smallish bagel with cream cheese
D - 1/2 baked chicken breast, bunch of tiny carrots from my garden, some nice olives, challah with butter, apple with a little honey

Took a nice half hour walk. I'm going to give my back the night off and not do any of the usual upper body work.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:43 pm

Well, today is weigh in day and I've held steady for another month with both weight and overall measurements. I'm actually pretty happy with this result. September was a little crazy: labor day, week-long vacation, out of town conference, and opening a show. I'm glad that I was able to manage not gaining back the little I have lost a midst all that -- and that I was able to hold on to at least a reasonable semblance of the system.

Here's to October and a little actual loss!
Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 am

WAY TO GO! MAINTENANCE IS PROGRESS!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks, Jean!

Today, SATURDAY, S-DAY. Not too bad. I can see that my standards for this has changed in the last year.

L - 8 of these fried ritz cracker cream cheese sandwich things my mom used to sometimes make when I was a kid, bunch of strawberries, several olives
S - frosted animal crackers (kind of a lot, but I wasn't really counting so don't even quite know how many I ate -- I'm gonna guess two servings)
D - whole wheat spaghetti with homemade meat sauce, apple juice (the kind that's just apples and water)

Walked about 45 minutes. I also committed today to re-starting Couch to 5K with a friend next week. I don't think we'll actually walk/jog together, but we'll be accountable to each other, which I think will help keep me at it. This was actually my idea. I've never done this kind of "partner" thing before because I'm always afraid of committing to it, but now I want the push. We're going to look for a 5K to sign up for (that's a number of months away) as added motivation.

Julie

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:59 am

"Couch to 5K"...what a great name for a program! Good for you!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:12 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Ok. I really enjoyed my meals today, and actually my snack too despite it being a pretty pedantic one.

B - greek yogurt with sliced banana, chopped walnuts, and a bit of honey
L - challah french toast with maple syrup, chicken sausage
S - m&ms, eaten casually out of a dish while reading (for some reason I was really craving this experience today, so I made it happen)
D - wheat thins-like crackers, cheddar cheese, avocado, nice olives, carrots (bought yesterday at the farmers market and somehow very fragrant, must be a variety I'm not used to, but that I definitely like)
S - few m&ms saved for the purpose of being an end of weekend treat

Worked in my garden for a while today including lugging a bunch of soil in and out of the apartment.

We were supposed to have a staff picnic tomorrow and I've had to postpone it because it's supposed to be raining pretty heavily. This is very disappointing. Plus my meals for the day were planed around this happening so I need to adjust, which is not that big of a deal except that I'm already disappointed. The No-S upside is that I won't be having non-weekend treats after all. :)

Julie

tobiasmom

running

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 pm

I've been considering restarting my walk-to-run program also. You starting MIGHT give me that push to get on the darn treadmill!!! Sounds like you had a delicious Sunday!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:18 pm

I haven't turned the computer on at home the last couple days. No real reason except I didn't feel like it.

Sadly, though, Monday was a failure. One I'm pretty annoyed at myself for. There was no good reason. I had two big (homemade, really good) chocolate chip cookies and a small piece of (so-so) marble cake. It was stuff that was brought for the postponed picnic. I should have just ignored it. But I didn't. I also had a big lunch out at a chinese place. All in all, not a good food day.

But, I DID do the first day of C25K Monday.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was a SUCCESS. Still I didn't feel great about it. I didn't have very good meals.

B - cereal with milk
L - smallish portion of leftover chinese, pop chips, dried apple
D - several teaspoons of homemade cashew butter, pop chips, grapes (see what I mean about meals?)

I did upper body work plus some crunches last night.

It was raining this morning so I couldn't go out for my second day of C25K. I'll do it tonight, pending no rain, or tomorrow morning if weather dictates.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:04 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS.

B - greek yogurt with sliced banana, grape nuts, spoonful of sugar
L - leftover spaghetti with meat sauce, 2 plums
D - small bagel with cream cheese, strawberries

Did my C25K tonight after work. My ankles were hurting during it and my hip is really hurting now. Hmmm.

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:56 am

Couch to 5k? That's excellent!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Yep! I had gone part way through a couple years ago, but never finished. Mostly based on excuse and laziness -- partly based on winter starting in Chicago (where I lived) and me not belonging to a gym. But that's much less of an issue here in California. And I am trying again and ready to do it this time.

Julie

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 pm

I have bad knees (malformed bones) so running isn't my thing. But I admire those who do it!
Last edited by Who Me? on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Julie...I've lived through Chicago winters too. I met my hubbie in Wheaton & we lived there a few years. Good for you on the Couch to 5K....I'd never get past the arm chair on the way off the couch!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks, guys!

I've also decided to just go ahead and invest in better shoes. I was telling myself that I needed to "prove" I could do it for a while before doing that, but I've decided that's not really a smart move. I think that might help some with the pain. Of course, so will weighing less, but that's a slower process.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 pm

When I first started running again a few years ago, I had some knee pain. I tried various remedies until my daughters convinced me that it was really ok to spend over $100 on a pair of shoes. The shoes I now buy run $140 full price, but I usually find them for around $100. I also get new ones about every 6 months. I have not had any problems since. The shoes are worth every penny!

(if you read my check in you will see I have some shin pain right now, but that was due to dance class. I am going to have to look for better dancing shoes before I go back to that class. Luckily there is no class next week.)
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks, good to hear that the better shoes could really help.

Yesterday, Thursday, SUCCESS. Just not home early enough to bother turning on the computer to post (I carry my laptop to and from work so it can't just be left on).

B - grape nuts with milk and sliced banana
L - small bagel with cream cheese, carrots, strawberries and grapes
D - (out with a friend) hummus with carrots and pita, lemon chicken soup, combo of phyllo wrapped things -- spinach and cheese, chicken and chickpeas, some ground beef thing

Did upper body work in the morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:53 am

Friday, SUCCESS. Tired and worried, but successful with no-s. My mom was admitted to the ICU this afternoon with a pretty severe case of pneumonia. She's on a respirator and getting fluids and blood. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen. She's in another state, my brother and sister-in-law are there with her; I wish I could be too and am pretty scared that I won't get to see her again. But at least I haven't sat around eating cookies as compensation -- that definitely wouldn't do me any good so might as well skip that.

B - mini wheats with milk and sliced banana
L - leftover from last night's dinner out -- hummus with small piece pita, some mixed phyllo things, large handful raisins
D -(out, again, with a friend) cup of matzo ball soup, bunch of french fries, less than 1/4 corned beef on rye sandwich

Day off of exercise.
Julie

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am

Oh Julie....I'm so sorry about your mom! And not being able to be with her just plain stinks.

Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks, Janie. I really appreciate it.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Well, things are worse with my mom. It's not looking good. I'm heading out there tomorrow for the week. I'll try and pay attention to decent eating habits, but don't think it's going to be my primary concern. I do want to try and remember that I physically will feel much better with real food than with sweets and crap, and that feeling physically better will help.

Julie

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm so very sorry....I know what it's like to have parents in crisis. It's so hard. Be kind to yourself while you're there. You're right that you'll feel better if you eat well, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. It's just not important in comparison with what's going on.

Hugs to you Julie...janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:07 am

Take care!
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Good luck on your trip. Sorry about your mom. You can still eat meals and will feel better for it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 am

Julie -- I'm so sorry about your mom. You are in my thoughts. Please take good care ...

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks very much guys.

I'm back in town as of last night. And, as of yesterday, my mom was doing much, much better. She's now breathing on her own, and hopefully will start to eat on her own by tomorrow. There's still a long road ahead, but we're feeling hopeful.

I actually didn't do too badly food-wise on the trip. I did eat sweets all but one day, but it was contained to smallish portions and most days just once with a meal. Otherwise, food was completely contained to the three meal structure and at least some fruit and vegetables were included each day.

Monday and Tuesday I had pudding with lunch. The primary part of that lunch was salad both days. I abstained from the ice cream going around both nights (and the next). Wednesday I had most of a licorice rope and a spoonful of ice cream. Thursday was S free. Friday was less good (it was also a lot more emotional) -- I had afternoon cake and evening ice cream. On the upside, I had a small ice cream while everyone else had large. And I did have salad with dinner. Overall, I feel pretty good about my eating on the trip. And it wasn't very hard to do it, really.

Meals are planned and groceries are purchased for next week so I'm ready to start strong.

Julie

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Good to hear things are looking up for your mom! Hang in there.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 am

Thanks, Jean! She's doing even better today -- it's looking like everything is going to be ok (or maybe even better, the illness, time, and experience has gotten her to quit smoking).

Today was a SUCCESS for me.

B - cereal with milk
L - 1/2 chicken burrito, chips
D - 1 leftover bbq pork steamed bun from yesterday's dim sum brunch, 2 dates

Did my C25K work this morning. I'm starting back with week 1 since I got pulled away midway through it last week.

Julie

determined

Post by determined » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 am

I'm so glad your mom is better! What a relief!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Sure is!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:53 pm

I really, really want a cookie (or cookies?) right now. And it's all about being tired and stressed. I can so easily see that, yet so want one. But I'm reminding myself that I'll still be tired and stressed a few minutes after finishing the cookie and I'll also be that many cookies further away from my goals...

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:26 am

You can do it...you can hang in there! Cookies are just crumbs....you can absolutely conquer them!!!!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 am

Thanks -- resist I did! I also stayed away from the homemade cupcakes at work today for some birthdays.

SUCCESS today.

B - cereal with milk
L - smallish bagel with cream cheese, veggie chips, grapes
D - trail mix, few bites mixed fruit, two mini salami sandwiches at a theatre event

Did my upper body weight work tonight. Yay for another good day.

Julie

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 am

Julie...

That's terrific! You did great by avoiding those cookies & cupcakes. Success tastes so much better than any of them!

janie
Winnie the Pooh