Joyofsix's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Joyofsix

Joyofsix's Check In

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 pm

So today I'm starting, even though it's a holiday because we were festive all weekend. I hope this will get me back to " normal". I never really have had a weight problem but as I move into middle age and the accrued couple pounds I kept from each of my babies there's 20-25 lbs that need to go so.....
B-2 pad sugar donuts (don't be judging, lol)
L-home grilled hamburger, salad, iced tea
D-plan to have chicken, corn, green beans
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

OK, I'm a planner. I'm always out and running and I don't want to be looking Wendy's menu in the face so...
B~hm egg mcmuffin
L~leftover steak, broccoli, 1/2 giant baked potato, cherries
D~2 cheese enchiladas, corn, orange
Lisa, mom to 7

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Welcome!

Mmmm your meals sound yummy!
I am a planner too- the week goes SO much better eating-wise if I plan my meals in advance.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Welcome. Wow, mom to 7! You must be a very busy lady. It is a wonderful idea to plan when you have all that going on. Best of luck and hope you do well here.
I'm baaaack.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 am

Yesterday went well. I stayed away from the snacks. The more I think about it I realize that was where my personal train left the tracks. My son had his weekly vision therapy appointment yesterday. I usually sit in the car and have a snack while I listen to the radio. Yesterday I walked around and around the office park while I listened to the radio. I evidently just need to be distracted :roll: Today's plan
B-hm egg mcmuffin
L-beans w/a little cheese, corn tortillas, apple
D-penne pasta w/veggies & pepperoni, zucchini, strawberry/kiwi bowl
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 am

Success yesterday. I also hauled water to my garden and took my kids swimming along with walking to our library (2 mi altogether) so exercise was good. Today's plan
B~hm egg mcmuffin (this works well so I just keep eating it)
L~bean burrito, salad, raspberries
D~hm pizza, raw veggies w/little dip, banana

That's the plan anyway.
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

You're doing awesome! I am a mom of ONE..........and you are just my idol...period!!!

Keep it up!

Joyofsix

Re: hey

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:27 pm

tobiasmom wrote:You're doing awesome! I am a mom of ONE..........and you are just my idol...period!!!

Keep it up!
Trust me, most days it probably doesn't look awesome, LOL :lol:
Lisa, mom to 7

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 pm

WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS on starting the No S Plan!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:30 am

Welcome, it sounds like you are doing GREAT. Very motivated and a lover of exercise, two keys to success. :wink:
Berry

ricaluanna

Post by ricaluanna » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 am

go go!! GOODLUCK!!:D

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:29 am

Feeling pretty good this morning, which usually means I'm about to go down in flames, but oh well. I gave in and got on the scales this morning. I was down 2.5 lb. Yeah! I also learned something from Monday's appointment. Yesterday while my dd was at basketball I walked for 40 minutes. Why, oh why, did it never occur to me to walk during my waits instead of sitting with a book and a coffee? I feel pretty dumb. Food was fine. I had to hold my lunch off while I was trapped at an eye appointment but I didn't die. Today's plan
B-hm mcmuffin, raspberries
L-hummus and pita, lentil soup, strawberries
D-BBQ sandwich, fries, Cole slaw (if I keep it to one plate I'm cool),apple if I want
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Just one day at a time. This plan isn't about being perfect. It's consistency. Day after day after day getting back on that horse! I know you can do this!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Joyofsix wrote: Yesterday while my dd was at basketball I walked for 40 minutes. Why, oh why, did it never occur to me to walk during my waits instead of sitting with a book and a coffee? I feel pretty dumb.
I think you should feel pretty smart for figuring that out. :) Anytime you can suddenly maximize your time to meet your goals is a plus!

One of my "rules for life" is "celebrate accomplishments" - I learned that from a very wise friend.

You can beat yourself up for not doing this before, but the odds are you were doing the best you could at the time, back then. NOW, you're doing better, you've figured out a solution - it's a breakthrough, an "aha!", a moment to celebrate!

Go, you! :)

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:44 am

Hi Joyofsix - returning your visit to my Check In. A question I just have to ask - you have 7 kids, but you're Joyofsix - was the last one one too many? :)

Good luck with No S.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:47 am

I've always waited for someone to ask me that and you're the first. I picked the name oh those many 8 years ago when expecting #6. It just became my moniker at all the web places I "hang out" so I use it for simplicity. Didn't want to change it there and didn't want to remember something else on other sites. I did consider The Magnificent Seven though :D
Lisa, mom to 7

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:20 am

You look like your off to a good start!!!!!I think No S works so well with a family because you can eat the same thing you have always eaten more or less and don't have to suddenly change the game plan on all the kiddos.
:D
I only have four but always felt I wanted more. My husband does not agree and dais I can have as many kids with my next husband I want:wink:
though my baby is three today and I finally can take a shower in peace( most days anyway lol)
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:51 pm

snapdragon wrote:You look like your off to a good start!!!!!I think No S works so well with a family because you can eat the same thing you have always eaten more or less and don't have to suddenly change the game plan on all the kiddos.
:D
I only have four but always felt I wanted more. My husband does not agree and dais I can have as many kids with my next husband I want:wink:
though my baby is three today and I finally can take a shower in peace( most days anyway lol)
Happy Birthday to the baby! My youngest is 3 too. And never say " only" 4. :o
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:21 am

Well, as an S day this was uneventful. My weekends tend to be very busy. Today I walked to the farmer's market (maybe a mile there?), came home, left with oldest dd to get her a new used car (is that an oxymoron?), we got home at 1pm. I ate an apple, gathered the three youngest and went to another town to do errands, stopped by a splash park and then went to visit my dad who isn't well. We got home about 5pm, I made spaghetti for the kids and left at 6:30 for dd's baseball game. Home at 8:15, spent and hour hoeing and watering my garden. I just now had a salad. My dh works weekends usually so this is pretty typical. I'm not going to mess around with S days but eventually I may move them to somewhere different because weekends are just usually too busy. On the bright side hoeing and walking are exercise :?
Lisa, mom to 7

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am

Wow that is a busy day!

Did you feel 'deprived' at all by not having any 'S's' yesterday? You don't HAVE to eat snacks, sweets or second portions on weekends, it's just allowed within the plan. But I suppose if you start feeling deprived or like you want to be able to treat yourself to some tasty sweet things more often, some people have had good success with either floating S days or floating S events.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Sunday was a pretty nice and slightly less busy day. We rode our bikes to church. I had a piece of blueberry pie with cream for lunch. I also had a vietnamese cold coffee while I drove my ds to camp. That took 3 hours of the afternoon. After dinner I rode bikes again with my little dds.

It's very hot and humid today and now stormy so I may have to resort to the treadmill today :( I prefer being outside.
Today's plan
B~hm mcmuffin
L~salad, spaghetti
D~ham steak, green beans, maybe a small salad and raspberries
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 am

Well, it quit raining and I ended up with a bike ride and later a couple mile walk. They were slow though because it was 99 and humid. I stuck to the rules. My choices could probably be better but since this is real life and there is no way I'll cook two dinners forever why even start that. I received an invitation to my class reunion next month. I'm fighting off the worry about how I'll look for that. Oh well, at least I have my hair, lol. Today's plan
B-1/2bagel, egg&cheese
L-Reuben sandwich, salad, mixed berries
D-chicken pasta, broccoli, sugar snap peas, melon
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

I think your day looks wonderful. Lots of veggies in there! Great job on the walk. It's super hot here in Texas right now. So I totally get it! I've been doing indoor workout videos.....but I love walking outside much better!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

I made it through last night by the skin of my teeth. It was the first night I've really been tempted. I drank a glass of tea and brushed my teeth to fight it off. I walked about 40 minutes in the morning. I was in a different town so tried their greenway. It was very nice but very hot. Today's plan
B-1/2 bagel, egg, cheese, cantaloupe
L-bean burrito, small salad, apple
D-grilled burger(kid request), baked sweet potato fries, fruit salad

I promised a swimming trip this afternoon so I will need to avoid the concession stand.
Lisa, mom to 7

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

Mmmmm baked sweet potato ANYTHING rocks! I may have to go and get some this evening, thanks for the inspiration!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm

You are doing so well. Congratulations. You make being the mother of seven sound like a breeze. LOL. I am sure it is not but it looks like with planning you pull it off with relative ease. Keep up the good work.
I'm baaaack.

Joyofsix

~

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am

Yesterday went well. My plate was a little full because I added quite a bit of salad but it was on ONE plate (I use lunch size plates). I drank some green tea w/lemon for 'desert'. I got in about 50 inutes of walking in two bits but now my ankle is hurting. That's new. I've always had knee problems since high school but my ankle has never hurt before. Today I am taking my 17yo to visit a college. I'll get in walking but I'm worried about lunch choices and those darn trays of cookies and pastries they always sit out. I need to remember I can have some on Saturday.
B~veggie omelet, small muffin
L~???I'm hoping for a salad or grilled chicken sandwich
D~15 yo is making dinner which means tacos. I'll probably heat up some fish for mine vs ground beef and add a veggie (he'll make canned corn)
Lisa, mom to 7

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Well now, a 15 year old boy who can cook. There's a rarity! It seems crazy to me how many young people seem incapable of even boiling an egg (to use the old cliche). No wonder obesity levels are so high.
I love it when I come across familys where everyone contributes to making meals. :D

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Oh....so glad to hear of someone else using HOD! It's amazing. How are you liking the older programs? Have you used it long?

USA on to the finals! Yay!

Thanks for the encouragement on my check-in. No-S works. All it takes is time. Following it one day after another after another. It works!

Have a wonderful day!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:23 am

Good morning! Yesterday was technically a success though right on the edge. We walked a great deal on the campus tour. My lunch was a fried chicken sandwich and diet soda. Not great but we had an appointment. Because lunch was small dinner's plate was pretty full. I ended up with baked fish but also a giant baked potato with sour cream and cheese :oops:
and cantaloupe. On the bright side Friday morning is my weigh in and it shows progress.

Linguisticsgirl-I have all my kids cook occasionally (well not the 3yo) and do their laundry. I want these kids to grow up and move out :lol:

Tobiasmom-we really like HOD. I will add some extra science and language (Latin) for my soon to be 5th grader but that is totally extra.
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Have a great weekend! Go USA!!!! Sunday is gonna be so fun!
Last edited by tobiasmom on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 am

Friday was good. Today started off with two huge cheese Danish :oops: But I took it as an S and had a quick frozen meal for lunch (time issue) and had a very good supper of salmon and zucchini with mushrooms. I did get a chance to do yoga and dh and I took a stroll about 8pm when the temps got tolerable. This week is supposed to be extra hot and humid so I may have to resort to the treadmill.
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Sunday was not great but not terrible. I had a few sweets at church and dinner was maybe a bit much. I stopped with dh at Pizza Hut after we left our dd at camp. I had 4 pieces of Thin Veggie Lovers Pizza (at least it wasn't fatty meat) and 2 beers. It was an S day so I'm trying to let that extravagance go. I am taking my ds to another college today. It is supposed to be very hot and humid so I'm not particularly looking forward to it. Especially the campus walking tour part. The plan~
B~granola, yogurt, peach
L~zuchinni and mushrooms, fish, orange
D~leftover veggie pizza (2 pieces), salad, fruit salad

Have a great day everyone.
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Yesterday was green but I sort of pushed my plate. It was pretty full. I went on another college tour with ds and I think by the time I got to supper about 7pm I was just too exhausted and hungry to think straight. I did get in 1.5 mile walking before I melted and then walked at the campus. I plan on taking the kids swimming this afternoon and I'm going to try to get in some laps and then yoga tonight. That's not perfect but the heat index was 106 yesterday and today is more of the same. Maybe I'll youtube walking videos. Todays plan (subject to change if it's too hot)
B~granola bar and coffee
L~(traveling to appointment) cold meat sandwich, baked chips, nectarine, iced latte
D~bbq chicken, corn, zuchinni&mushrooms,berries
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

A full day today so posting pretty late. Yesterday was good. Today it's been so hot I haven't exercised (currently 104, don't know what that would be with the heat index, but too hot for me). I had
B~granola bar
L~Panda Express mixed veggies, mushroom chicken~ I was at the mall with my dd.
D~fried potatoes, turkey ham, salad

Maybe I'll get some yoga in tonight.
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:09 pm

You are eating some good food! Yummy.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am

Thursday-made it through another hot day but I'm afraid no exercise happened. Unless schlepping 4-H projects to judging counts. Or the scintillating trip to the BMV. Food
B-potato omelet
L-pizza-1slice
D-BLT-heavy on the L&T, black beans, berries&yogurt
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Happy Saturday Evening! I've done pretty well today. I skipped breakfast.
Lunch was a bit heavy. I had a BLT and two ears of sweet corn. But it was fresh and soooo good. It didn't even need butter and salt. I had an eclair this afternoon. I also took the kids swimming this afternoon. Tonight though we are headed to a beer tasting party. Lots of snacks. Lots of goodies. Lots of beer. I'm skipping dinner since I know I'll eat things there but.....I'm worried. :cry:
Lisa, mom to 7

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 am

Why so worried on an S day?

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 am

A whirlwind weekend that was definitely S. Millem, I worry because I can really eat more than is good for a person. I want to be able to have one piece or cake, not three. 4-H fair this week so busy, busy, busy. Eating yesterday was on plan. What more can I hope for, right? Today will hopefully be
B~egg w/ turkey ham, granola bar
L~chicken, cantaloupe, salad
D~salmon, broccoli, corn (it's fresh and yummy) and maybe berries
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

I understand what you're saying. Although we're technically "allowed" whatever we want on S days.......it's no fun to totally mow through a ton of food all weekend when you know that one piece would suffice. This area is what has taken the longest to get for me! You're doing awesome!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 am

Today was long and hot. I picked up my 10 yo from cub scout camp and took my 12 yo to the fair. Also washed and hung about 5 loads of laundry. It was one of those full days where you are busy but don't really seem to accomplish much. Food was on plan. I had
B-veggie omelet, granola bar
L- loose meat sandwich, corn on the cob, melon
D- Reuben sandwich and salad
Next week we will be on vacation. We're not traveling but have plans to go to a waterpark, the zoo and a baseball game. I'm stressing a little about how I will handle that.
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Good day yesterday. It's just really hot which makes me feel uncomfortable. My weight is where it's been for 3 weeks. Plateau? My setpoint? Where I'm supposed to be? I dunno. I've gotten over the urge to snack and eat seconds but I still wish for something sweet after dinner. I usually have fruit but it's going to take a while to get over years of training that dessert comes last. Today's plan

B~2 poptarts, coffee
L~big salad w/ a little feta and chick peas, orange
D~homemade sub sandwich with turkey, swiss, lettuce, onion and mustard, melon
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 pm

A green Friday but an odd one. I went with my girls to see "Annie, Get Your Gun" at the local playhouse and while there I developed a migraine. :cry: Got home and took my meds. This morning I still felt 'off' so didn't eat anything. I later had 6 warm chocolate chip cookies dd baked. Too many but good. Dinner has been 6 breaded shrimp and a crab cake. And a weak vodka tonic. Not a very nutritious day. I am off to a swim party tonight. Not sure if they'll have snacks. I had intended to have mixed veg with my dinner but am too full. Is it progress I'm stopping?
Lisa, mom to 7

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Hope you are feeling better today!

Thanks for the hugs on my post the other day when I had a bad day...

I also love how you post what you ate...I was writing my stuff down, but since stopped, maybe I might consider starting up again..

Have a great day!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 am

Today was a nice S day. I had a piece of cheese Danish at church. I ate shrimp and mixed veg for lunch and a donut :roll: Dinner was a chili dog and about 7 deep fried mushrooms. I worked in the garden this evening but that was it for exercise.
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am

Back from vacation! I ate like it was an S day every day BUT they were reasonable Ss if YKWIM. Back to reality today. I've got lots to do around here so that will help. If I'm busy I don't eat as much. I must reclaim the yard and garden so lots of exercise there. Meal plan for today
B~english muffin w/sunflower butter, 2 turkey sausage links
L~garden salad with sprinkling of cheese
D~tator tot casserole, tomatoes&cukes, corn

Have a great Monday all!
Lisa, mom to 7

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 am

Well, yesterday was my first official fail. I ate 3 pieces of toffee. :roll: On to a new day, right? Shampooing our carpets today (only 2 rooms, the rest are hardwood) and supposed to take my kids swimming before school resumes and they close all the pools and lakes.
B~1 hm blueberry muffin, orange
L~pasta and bean concoction, lots of veggies in it,fruit if I want
D~turkey ham, waffles w/blueberries
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Yep..on to a new day! You are just doing wonderful!

So are you starting HOD soon then?

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm

yesterday was my first official fail. I ate 3 pieces of toffee. On to a new day, right?
Joyofsix, I have been on No S since 6/10 and had a few fails, but what is great about this program is always have a fresh start ahead of us. At least you did not turn this little slip into a binge:mrgreen: ! I would have binged for sure...

I started to log my food as well, I like the idea, short and sweet.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Now that I can get on the boards...today was good. More park day and swimming with two friends and their kids. We're cramming in summer before it's over.
Tobiasmom -We'll be doing Bigger w/ my 7 yo dd ( with extensions for my 10 yo ds) and LHTH with my soon to be 4 yo.
Debrabuf-thanks for the encouragement.
Today's food
B-eggs&mushrooms, toast
L-1/2 turkey sandwich, 1/2 pita w/hummus, doritos
D-chicken&noodles, mashed potatoes, raspberries
Lisa, mom to 7

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 am

Stopping by to see how you are doing?

I'm glad it is Monday..I had terrible trouble with food.....

Hope you had a nice weekend!!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 am

Life keeps getting in the way of posting :roll: Things are going well. Vacation and then a camping trip sort of messed with things but I'm back on track. I weighed in Friday and am back to pre-vacation weight. I'm hopeful that post-Labor day things will get a bit more predictabl. We've started homeschool, cyberschool and public school. All that takes adjustment from mama. My girls have parts in a play and soccer has started. Lots of snack opportunities to avoid there.
Lisa, mom to 7

determined

Post by determined » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Lisa...

Congrats on getting back to your pre-vacation weight so quickly...well done!

I spent yesterday working on our homeschool curriculum. We don't start school until the Wednesday after Labor Day so I still have a bit of time to get organized. I have one son in the public school - he's a senior - and I'm just schooling another son in 11th and our daughter in 1st. We also have one son in college and it feels GREAT to have someone else in charge of his learning experience!

I hope your adjustment to being back at school is smooth!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh