Has anyone developed RSI from shovelglove?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JoshT

Has anyone developed RSI from shovelglove?

Post by JoshT » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

Hey all,

I've been doing shovelglove for almost 4 weeks now, and from about 2 weeks into it, I've been having some nasty problems with my left hand / wrist - numbness, and severe pain in the morning after sleep. However, I've been using computers for a *very* long time, and more than I should. I've had numbness / tinglies in my left hand off and on before, but it's never been this bad.

I was wondering if anyone has ever developed RSI from doing shovelglove, or if people with RSI have found shovelglove to aggravate the problem. I really, really don't want to stop shovelgloving, but if it's causing the wrist / hand numbness and pain... well, I may *have* to. This isn't fun in the least.

Oh, and yes - I have an appointment with the doctor. Next Tuesday. I've also been wearing an elastic bandage around my wrist, as well as icing it; both seem to be helping some.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Yeah Josh, the shovelglove is probably instigating the pain from an already very compromised shoulder due to the computer stuff and probably your day to day posture at the keyboard and monitor.
Sorry.
Sounds like you need to get some massage and treat the trigger points that are in your neck and shoulder before you put lots more stress on them.
Also, if you are sleeping on your side, I'd switch to sleeping on your back.
That head of the humerus always grinding into your scapula while you sleep is probably not helping.
I'm a massage therapist. All this stuff is so common to people who have their heads off their shoulders and slouch (even if it's just a little) towards the computer monitor.. Keep your ear in line with your shoulder to avoid more probs.
Everything I said was an "educated guess" so deff go and get a real evaluation from your chiro or doc or massage therapist.
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Someone did actually post something a while ago, though I'm having trouble finding it. I'll post a link as soon as I do.

I think the moral of the story is: though fun and effective and usually safe, these movements (like pretty much any movements) CAN cause problems. If something hurts, play it safe: stop immediately and take the next day off (and as many as it takes for it not to hurt). When/if you start up again, stick with very low rep sets and skip any movements you suspect as being problematic. You can always revisit them later if you want to give them another chance when you're stronger.

If you're worried about breaking the habit by taking rest days, well, nothing busts habit like injury. So avoiding that comes first. Once you (hopefully soon) get this pain behind you and have confirmed with your doctor that shovelglove is theoretically OK for you, then ease in with the slowest, lowest rep count 14 minutes you can manage. I know it might be difficult to throttle your enthusiasm, but ultimately, it's going to be much better for your shovelglove habit if you take it easy. And if it turns out shovelglove isn't for you, then much better to find that out before doing serious damage to yourself.

Reinhard

anndelise

Post by anndelise » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:28 am

I've had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 15 years now or so. It went downhill pretty fast. Lately though I've noticed that my weight affects it as well. The point where I reached over 190lbs (5'3.5" height) was the point when i couldn't go a single night without numb arms and a constant 'sweet' pain in my elbows if they are even slightly bent for a few consecutive minutes.

Last year, when I first attempted to change my eating habits, my weight went down to 184 lbs. But I could almost pinpoint by feel the point where I reached below 190 because I could finally sleep at night without waking up to the inner elbow ache and numb hands.

I also noticed at that time that when I began doing modified pullups and pushups, that the swelling of the muscles caused the numbness and pain to reappear.

So now, I really want to do the shovelglove, but I'm forcing myself to wait until my weight has dropped down below 190. And then I'll have to take it very slow, only a few at a time so as to reduce the amount of muscle swelling. I hope that eventually as more weight drops off, I would be able to do more arm work.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:25 pm

I have had issues with RSI for a long time. Noticed a flare-up in my arms when I started Shovelglove - lower arms ached, and at first I couldn't figure out why, since I hadn't been on the computer any more than normal.

Mentioned it to my massage therapist when I went in. I'd told him about SG previously. He thought that I was asking things of my forearms that I don't normally (stopping the sledge weight). However, he said it felt like "worked" muscle as opposed to "stressed" muscle - the micro-tears that lead to muscle growth rather than degeneration. (I asked him to describe the difference, and he came up with some adjectives, but I could tell it was a sensation thing that he just could feel. And I trust him on this - he's been right enough in the past.)

I am only doing SG 3x/week, with days off between, which I think is a very good routine for me. I decided to continue, but also to be extra-conscientious about general RSI care. (Watch posture at the computer; lots of water; lots of mini-stretches throughout the day, etc. I need to add ice at night...)

Anyway, it seems to be getting better.

Thought I'd share, but keep in mind that (a) I am not a doctor, and don't play one on the internet and (b) YMMV.

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:51 am

Just an update: I've been paying more attention to my form in shovelgloving, making sure too put as much stress as I can on my arms, rather than my wrists. That coupled with cutting back on my computer time a bit, and my wrists are now behaving properly.

So, while I can't speak for everyone, I can speak for myself: SG is A-OK, as long as it's done smartly.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.