Penguin Flop (Flap) and Juggle the Hammer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
ikuryakin3

Penguin Flop (Flap) and Juggle the Hammer

Post by ikuryakin3 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:08 am

One of the added benefits of SG for me is that it entertains my kids while I'm working out. My wife still treks to the gym 3 days a week to swim, so I often am home to work out with SG just after the kids D & T (8 & 4) wake up. They find it very entertaining and, in fact, I had to keep them from mimicking some of my standard moves with their silverware and dishes at the dinner table this evening. Stoke the Oven with a half-full glass of milk is bound to end badly.

The family that shovels together...

They've recently named two of my more or less standard moves--apologies if they've been described before. It's been a while since I checked in.

The first, which T insists is called Penguin Flop (rather than Flap--although that is more descriptive) consists of tucking the end of the hammer handle into your armpit and holding it as far down the hammer end as your arm reaches. You then bring your arm up sideways as far as it will go--which even after a year of doing this is never very far. Theoretically you could do this standing with your nose touching a wall. It's all in one plane.

The second, named by D, is Juggle the Hammer (also a bit of a misnomer--DON'T LET GO OF THE HAMMER!) and is a move I often take up when I'm anticipating the end of the 14 minutes. It consists of uppercut-like motions toward the center and switching hands to the other side at the apex of the swing. One hand releases while the other slides down the handle, or both hands slide with a loosened grip. The hammer end traces a bent infinity symbol in front of you--it's in front of your chest when at the crossing point and off by your shoulders/sides at the ends when it is coming back for the upswing. I'm privately (I suppose now not so privately) grateful my kids are fairly isolated from media, because this move might have been named "To infinity and beyond." In any event, it feels like it works my obliques the most and is good to do at the end if I'm worried about symmetry--that is, going too far over the 14 minutes because I've overdone something on one side.

Anyway, I'm not tech savvy enough to post on YouTube. I hope the descriptions make sense, and the moves provide you with some useful variety.

Cheers.
Open Channel D.

fungus

Re: Penguin Flop (Flap) and Juggle the Hammer

Post by fungus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am

ikuryakin3 wrote:The second, named by D, is Juggle the Hammer.
That sounds the same as my "toss the apple" move - I use it insteads of "flip the lever" (which I never liked much)