Hindu workout vid on YouTube

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
heidster

Hindu workout vid on YouTube

Post by heidster » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Has anyone seen this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyUsEb82jZs

It's from an Indian film by Satyajit Ray called "The Apu Trilogy," with a few shots of traditional Hindu workouts (Hindu pushups, squats, etc.). At about 23 seconds in, the guy starts swinging around a stick with a weight attached. I'm wondering if anyone's tried a similar move with their shovelglove. I think I'd be worried about knocking out a wall, but maybe if I had my hands choked up high enough on the handle I could minimize the damage.

fungus

Re: Hindu workout vid on YouTube

Post by fungus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 pm

heidster wrote:Has anyone seen this video on YouTube:
And so the circle is complete... :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Yes, this is a great movie (great series of movies) and I was floored when I watched it last year and saw this scene.

Some other discussions about it:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=46

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1391

The move he's doing is very impressive, but it looks like it might require a bit of coordination. I'll certainly test it out consider it as a candidate for the expanded movements page I am finally, really, really I promise going to do in May. Let us know if you get anywhere with it -- but please be very, very careful.

I also like how he uses his shovelglove-equivalent as a stabilizer for squats. Good way to get some leg work into your routine.

Reinhard

Kevin

Hindus

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:56 am

I was alarmed at how fast the guy was doing Hindu squats. They were even ripping through the pushups. I've always done them much more slowly (particularly the pushups).
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

fungus

Re: Hindus

Post by fungus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:10 pm

Kevin wrote:I was alarmed at how fast the guy was doing Hindu squats.
I find the arm swing makes it much easier to do them fast than regular speed.

AS for the hammer swing. I tried doing it slowly but once the head was down behind my back there was just no way I could bring it over my shoulder back to the vertical (it doesn't sound hard but if you try you'll see the problem...)

Maybe it's a movement fast because you need the momentum of the swing, I'm too sensible to try a full speed swing. Maybe if I had a redman suit or something I'd give it a go.

david

Post by david » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:46 pm

I've done this move. It's really more about coordination than strength. Notice how he uses his trunk stabilizers in opposition to the weight of the club in a dynamic way which requires a strength/suppleness combo.

--david

heidster

Post by heidster » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 pm

And so the circle is complete...
D'oh, I knew I should have done a search on this topic before posting!

I gave that move a try, that "swinging it around your head" move. I believe the potential for hurting myself is greater than any benefit it might give me at this point, so I will stick with shoveling for now. :-)

SurfingBuddha

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:05 pm

the cannon ball on a stick is called a "Gada"...and like everything else from indian clubs to kettlebells some is now marking a "new" exercise program with these ancient techniques. I found a site where a guy shows you how to make your own instead of paying $200 for it.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/macgada.html

I haven't made one yet but I'll let you guys know if I do...
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.