Personal Trainer Reveals That He Can Steal Ideas!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
kayvan

Personal Trainer Reveals That He Can Steal Ideas!

Post by kayvan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:46 am

Watch this video:

http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/my_video ... ammer.html

This guy basically stole a bunch of shovelglove ideas (with the same names even) and made a video showing "old fashioned fitness secrets" without attributing Reinhard or these pages.

He does have a couple of interesting moves in the video, though.

What do you all think?
Last edited by kayvan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.

fungus

Re: Personal Trainer Reveals That He Can Steal Ideas!

Post by fungus » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 am

kayvan wrote: This guy basically stole a bunch of shovelglove ideas (with the same names even) and made a video showing "old fashioned fitness secrets" without attributing Reinhard or these pages.[/url]
Dude! He totally ripped you off...

SurfingBuddha

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Unless this turd credits everyday systems, he's in violation of the digital copyright act, specifically sections 4 and 5.
http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf
This is actionable.
Anyone know a good lawyer to send a cease and desist letter?
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

fungus

Post by fungus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:11 pm

SurfingBuddha wrote: Anyone know a good lawyer to send a cease and desist letter?
Only if Reinhard wants to....

Maybe better if everybody politely emails him and tells him to at least put a link on his site.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Wow. That's pretty shameless.

At least he changed ONE of the movement names.

I'll send him a friendly note asking if we can join forces. Hopefully that'll work and we won't have to consider anything more brutal.

I have no problem whatsoever with people doing and writing about and posting videos about shovelglove or shovelglove inspired routines -- I welcome it. I'd just like a link (or at least a mention!).

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:50 pm

I just got an email back from Arnel saying he'll put in a prominent link ASAP. In fact, I see it's up now.

I think some good will come of this. Shovelglove has clearly worked very well for him, and he's got some nice additional moves (though I have to wonder where he got them from...) that would be nice for orthodox shovelglovers to be able explore without pangs of conscience or disgust. Another video take on the standard movements is helpful, too.

Note to other entrepreneurially minded but attributionally forgetful internet fitness gurus and personal trainers who may be lurking out there: I am delighted for you to use and even try to make money from shovelglove inspired routines. Just give me some credit (and a link). If your stuff looks useful, I'll even link back.

Reinhard

kayvan

Post by kayvan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:51 pm

reinhard wrote:I just got an email back from Arnel saying he'll put in a prominent link ASAP. In fact, I see it's up now.

I think some good will come of this. Shovelglove has clearly worked very well for him, and he's got some nice additional moves (though I have to wonder where he got them from...) that would be nice for orthodox shovelglovers to be able explore without pangs of conscience or disgust. Another video take on the standard movements is helpful, too.
Great! That is exactly the outcome I was hoping for.

Reinhard, I've heard you talk about updating your "movements" index from time to time. How is that coming along?

---Kayvan
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:23 am

Reinhard,
It seems your idea is taking off and others smell the opportunity.
Now may be a good time to consider publishing a manual about shovelgloving. Aside from popularizing your concept, this will reduce the risk of shovelglove being plagiarized by getting the name out there on paper.

library_guy

Post by library_guy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:51 am

A few of those extra moves seem mighty dangerous without any padding around the head of that hammer.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 am

hmm, the shoulder sledge one looks similar to my flip-lever2

except I hold the hammer just like in flip the lever, but pivot off the shoulder not elbow.

Couple other moves of his I've tried during "freestyle" time.

Guess it goes to show that with something like SG, the basics are there for everyone to discover :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:29 pm

Sorry for the long delay on the movements page update... and you're right, sledgehammer, someone is going to beat me to my own idea if I don't do something about it soon.

As soon as I've got the no-s book out I'll swing my guns around and focus on shovelglove.

Reinhard