Deck of cards

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Marc1

Deck of cards

Post by Marc1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:15 am

Hi!
An interesting idea I've used to create bodyweight routines transfers quite easily to shugging is the "deck of cards".

Assign an exercise to each of the clubs, diamonds etc. I.E. Clubs = chopping wood, spades = shoveling, hearts = butter churning, diamonds = canoe. Shuffle the cards and pull off the top 20. if you get 6 of clubs, then its 6 chopping movements each side. 8 of spades is 8 shoveling movements each side and so on. You can assign a higher number for the kings etc. If you finish before 14 mins is up, just repeat from the beginning or pull off some more cards!

Just an idea for when you might want to mix things up a little :)
Keyboard Warrior :)

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 pm

I've heard of this before for randomizing routines, and I've actually thought about giving it a shot. I get bored with fixed routines a little too easily for my own good. ;)

I'll haveto dust off a deck of cards and give it a shot . . . if I can find one, that is.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:14 pm

I like it... there have been a few posts about using cards or dice to randomize workouts. I'm in a bit of a rush now, but I'll see if I can dig them up and post links here later.

I wonder if I could publish a custom shovelglove deck with cafepress or something...

Reinhard

fungus

Post by fungus » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 am

reinhard wrote: I wonder if I could publish a custom shovelglove deck with cafepress or something...
Are there enough numbers in the deck to last 14 minutes? I'm betting there aren't. If you don't manage it it's because you spent too much time switching hands or thinking "clubs - that's chop wood".

Maybe you could add ten to all the numbers, count face cards as 25 and the Ace as 50. Something like that.

The other problem is that not all movements are equal. I can do 50 chops, no problem, but I'm not sure I could do 50 levers.

A custom deck would solve this....but it would take a while to get the balance right.

PS: Yes, I'm a computer programmer, this is really the way I think about stuff.