Minorly Sore Back?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
elai

Minorly Sore Back?

Post by elai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:52 am

I'm a young guy (20), never was really "active", but I walked around, used a bicycle occasionally, etc.

I got a 10 pound sledge hammer and I did this as a routine:

Shoveling (I didn't really feel anything in the abs region)
Chopping Wood
No Name
Churning Butter
Back Scratcher

And now, hours later my back is minorly sore. Is this something I should worry about? Try exaggerating my knee bending?? Stretch alot before and after? Have a "warm up" session? Or just go on and try to be more smooth?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Welcome, elai.

I don't stretch or warmup... though I guess it couldn't hurt.

I would definitely:

1) not do shovelglove tomorrow if you are still sore.

2) do the moves very slowly, in slow motion almost, and try to ambush the point where anything doesn't feel right. Make a note of it, and skip that movement for now. I think smooth, slow movements are more important than the weight involved. It might even be safer to use a heavier hammer that commands respect rather than a lighter one that you are tempted to throw around like a toy.

3) if 1 and 2 don't work, try doing the routine with just a broom handle for a few days until you really get the movements down.

I can't say I particularly notice shovelglove hitting my abs, but I do notice it a bit, and somehow I wound up with a discernible 6 pack, so have faith. Remember that the initial point of inspiration for shovelglove was the abs of 19th century French coal shovelers.

Reinhard

fungus

Re: Minorly Sore Back?

Post by fungus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:52 pm

elai wrote:try to be more smooth?
Yep.

Sports injuries are usually caused by fast, jerky movements. Hardly ever by slow, smooth ones.

British Chap

Post by British Chap » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am

I think the slow down / smooth advice is very sound.

I'm now 36 and I had a prolapsed 4th lumbar disc when I was 23 playing Rugby. Let me tell you that your back is vulnerable - especially if you've got a long spine.

One of the beauties of this exercise - if you take it steady with a lighter hammer - is that the free range of movement should help develop your core stability. Once you've developed all those little muscles that hold everything in place, then you can work up to heavier hammers and larger muscle groups (like your abs). Pilates focusses on core stability and these are all very slow, controlled flexions of muscle groups.

So my advice would be to take it slow and easy. Remember the aim of this exercise is for it to be repeatable year after year rather than it turn you into Arnold Schwarzenegger in a fortnight.

I did my first routine this morning - and I always have to flex my lower spine now before I do any exercise. I've not had time to buy a hammer yet so I just used a shovel from the shed! This way I know I'm not overloading myself - and Reinhard is right about not making a light tool an excuse to fling it all over the place.

Personally I added Hoist the sack, 'Indian Squats' - to work my legs and some press-ups to the basic routine.

Gareth

benjishi

Post by benjishi » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:18 pm

Since you didn't feel it in your abs, I would hazard a guess that you weren't employing them.

While doing it slowly, make a concious effort to have your abs tightened and your tailboned tucked slightly in, along with bending your knees.

Keep your body erect, don't be leaning over at the waist.

If you start with your abs tightened some you'll be more likely to keep your spine straight, and feel exactly what's going on in that core area.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Something I read somewhere that I've found to help a little is to try and keep your body straight and locked as a single unit from hips to shoulders. In particular, try not to twist your spine from left to right while doing the motions.

And, as everyone else said, be gentle and focus on form.