Shovelglove Exchange

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
gratefuldeb67

Shovelglove Exchange

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi all!
I have been toying with the idea of picking up my SG again because my arms are pathetically out of shape and I really want to tone them up.
But I have a minor injury these days to my left shoulder, and I have to say, the sledge I bought years ago when I found Reinhard's group, has become a bit too heavy for me. I think I would be more inclined to use it, if it were a tad lighter.

It occurred to me that as people do SG here, sometimes they like to upgrade after time, or downgrade, as is the case with me right now.
Kinda expensive to just go buy a new one.
I was wondering if anyone might want to trade?

Not too sure whether the post to ship a sledgehammer would be too great either, but my hammer cost about 30 dollars and I now see that prices have gone up even more, so I think it would still be less to ship it than to buy a new one.

I am thinking that an 8 pound hammer would be good.
Mainly because I could swing it around more easily, and therefore do more reps and go faster, to increase my cardio, without hurting my shoulder.

If anyone wants to trade with me, let me know.
Thanks!

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 pm

I think it is a good idea in theory, not sure about the shipping costs though. Unfortunately, us individuals do not have the economy of scale that Amazon has. So, I'm guessing the shipping would probably be 15 bucks for something odd shaped like a sledge.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Well it really would depend on where it's being shipped I guess.
But that would still save me at least 15 to 20 dollars.
8) Debs

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm

To satisfy my own whim, I am working on a DIY adjustable hammer design. I am hoping to address the weight adjustment without having 5 different hammers. Although, I must admit in order to get one that is adjustable beyond a max of 9 pounds has proven to be uneconomical. But, it is worth it to me for the granularity of adjustment.

I think a below 10 pound adjustable has a lot of potential. Possible that it could be made for the same price as a regular sledge.

Dogen

Post by Dogen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Have you seen the homemade adjustable sledgehammer on this page?

[Scroll down to see it]:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah ... rip_1.html

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm

No I had not seen that. Although, I'm not particularly impressed with it. It's not clear that anybody has actually bothered to make one based on those designs. The straight one looks the more feasible of the two. I'm very dubious of the T-shaped design.

Moot point anyhow. It fails to meet 2 of my criteria. Which would be:
-A handle more typical of a sledge hammer
-Fine weight adjustment

I'm pretty sure that my current design will work. Although, I haven't had time to put it together. So, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Some of the other contraptions on that page look like they would work pretty well. Although, I don't think I'm inclined to do any of those particular exercises.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 pm

So, is there anyone out there interested in trading and upgrading their hammer from an 8 lb or a 10 lb to a 12 lb one???
8 would be preferable.
If so please pm me :)
My only criteria is that it has a wooden handle.
Thanks!
8) Debs

la_loser

Craig's List or Free-Cycle?

Post by la_loser » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 am

Debs,

Do have a local "Craig's List" or a "free-cycle" active in your area? Someone nearby might be interested in upgrading a sledgehammer (that they probably use for its original intended use!) that they would be willing to trade and it would save you the shipping.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:45 am

Yeah good idea.. was jus trying to keep it in the family tho :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 pm

I love the idea, but I'm afraid shipping might often be more than the hammer itself (many of the hammers on amazon ship free, which seems like it must be some kind of software glitch or insane loss leader). Still, it's worth investigating. If I'm wrong and someone here does discover it's worth it, please post the details here and I'll make the thread "sticky."

One little reminder that probably no one who's posted here needs, but perhaps some lurker may find useful: if you're upgrading more than once a year, you're probably upgrading too often. I'm on my third hammer since 2002 (so 7 years calendar years ago), and it's possible I may never upgrade again. Amortize the cost of three hammers over a lifetime and you're talking less than a penny a day total ownership costs. Looked at that way, saving a few bucks on a hammer isn't terribly pressing. Drinking (literally) a couple fewer lattes may be an easier way to economize.

If having an obsolete sledge around just bugs you (they do take up space after all), I've actually found that it's not hard to find old sledges new homes even in my local circle of acquaintances. They are useful tools, after all. I loaned out my 12 pound to a prospective convert for a few months, and recently gave away my 16 pounder to a shugging friend as a gift. I now sometimes use the 12 pounder if I'm feeling too beat for the 20 pounder or want to try moves that wouldn't be possible using the heavier weight.

That being said, a shovelglove exchange would be a very cool thing in principle. Why not save a few bucks, if the math works out?

Regarding the adjustable sledges -- I think it's a cool idea, but please be VERY careful. To my mind, a new, simple sledge is a very cheap insurance policy insurance against a weight suddenly flying off.

Reinhard

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:01 pm

Regarding the adjustable sledges -- I think it's a cool idea, but please be VERY careful. To my mind, a new, simple sledge is a very cheap insurance policy insurance against a weight suddenly flying off.
Agreed, any DIY project is only for those aware of the risks. That being said, some risk is worth the taking for some individuals. And even just using an off the shelf hammer entails some risks. When I imagine the head flying off, I mainly envision property damage (didn't like that TV anyway). I hope my cats haven't lost their cat-like reflexes :)

My theory is that I could creep the weight up a few ounces a month, instead of 2 and 4 pound leaps. If I started at 10 pounds and did 3 ounces a month it would still take me the better part of 11 months to reach your original weight of 12 pounds. So I think it is very conservative at least in that regard.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi Reinhard :)
Yeah, it's kinda saving just a little bit of money, but it would save some, considering if the person would want to upgrade to a 12 lb hammer.
I just looked at the prices of 10-12 lb hammers on a few sites and they all range between 30-35 dollars..
Did a little check on UPS on prices to ship a hammer within the USA and checked NY to Florida, Texas, or California, and put 15 lbs into the weight category, and 36 inches x 6"x 7" for the basic size/weight description..
By UPS ground, it would be between 18 and 20 dollars or so to ship, if you wrap it up yourself.

And I haven't even looked at 8 lb hammers. But you may be right, it might really not be worth it just to save 10 or 15 dollars.

Again, just trying to keep things in the SG family here :wink:

BTW, you are such a hero to me for sticking with this for 7 years!!!
I feel like when I get a lighter hammer, whether through an exchange or just going to Sears in the future, I will want to start it up and stick with it more. The 12 lb one isn't too heavy to lift, but it is a bit too heavy to have fun with, cos *some* moves, just take too much effort.. Particularly hoist the sack.. If you could see my triceps now!!! I need to get them in shape!!

Have a good day everyone!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Wow I just saw a 15 lb sledge hammer on ebay that was 99 cents! LOL
Checked how much shipping would be and it ended up better than the UPS, at about 16 dollars...

Some guy cleaning out his garage.. :wink:

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:15 pm

If you're a DIY'er (Do it yourself-er) like me, you can make your own sledgehammer. I put 2 barbell weights at the end of a wooden handle. I had everything so my sledgehammer didn't cost me anything.

The handle used to be the wooden handle of an old shovel I wasn't even using anymore, cut it down to size and then I placed the 2 barbell weights near the end. They are tight on there but I secured them even more tightly with zip ties (tie wraps) It's all sturdy and super strong, not flimsy of course. I have been using it for a while now, no problems at all and the total cost was 0.00$ since I had all the items required already.

I suppose if I had had to buy the barbell weights, they would have cost 10$ in all. I remember seeing 5 pound barbell weights, 5$ each, at the store the other day, no need to get high end stuff of course, although it'd be nice to work out with barbells made of GOLD. ;-) ... as long as you can find an old wooden handle and some tie wraps, you're all set. Plus the advantage is you can add weights if you want, even a small 1 pound weight, attach everything again so it's all secured and you're ready to go with your new weight.

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 pm

For better or worse, I'm already married to my current design. I think it will be dandy however.

Dogen

Post by Dogen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 pm

I wanted to start with a 12 pounder, but the local Lowe's had only 8 and 10. For the same price of the 10 at Lowe's, I could get a 12 on Amazon with free shipping. They sent it FedEx, and one winter's evening it was left on my porch, in a very large box. When I picked up the box, the hammer slid out of a large hole in the bottom of the box. Inside the box was a massive amount of brown wrapping paper (which obviously didn't keep the hammer in place). I would have preferred to have bought it locally, and not have to recycle all that cardboard and paper, but I'm glad I bought the 12.