Hi folks

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
raindog

Hi folks

Post by raindog » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:48 pm

Hello everyone,
Just writing to say hello, new to the forum (and shovelglove). Found a link to the shovelglove instruction page on the Himalayan Imports site, and as soon as I read Reinhards exercise method I was inspired and excited :)
At last an exercise that is worth doing, and cheap to start. I'm off out tomorrow to get a sledghammer (start off light with about 7lbs I think) and take it easy for a while.
Also starting the S Diet, "simple" fits as well as Snacks, Sweets, and seconds!
I'm starting off pretty heavy, and really want to shed the pounds :)

Jeff.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:29 am

Welcome!

Just out of curiosity, how did Himalayan imports lead to shovelglove?

I think I found the site, but I have to register for an account to see the shovelglove posts.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

and

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=796

Reinhard

raindog

Post by raindog » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 am

Hi Reinhard,
one of the members there (Bladite) must be on here somewhere too I think. He posted a link to your site.
One of the other members was arrogantly scathing about Shovelglove, saying he'd done manual work etc etc.....Then he tried Shovelglove and had to admit it was a great exercise and had shattered him when he tried it!
The view of all the replies I saw was positive about Shovelglove. Obviously Shovelglove would be great exercise for people swinging swords and khukuries about (something they do a lot of in that forum).
Yesterday was the first time I'd looked at the Himalayan site in a few years, and the first post I looked at was shovelglove, at a time when I was searching for the best exercise for me. Also had a massive case of Deja Vu when I was sending the post in to you. Maybe fate intends me to do it.
I'm hoping to find a suitable sledge today. My first thought about it being a seven pounder has changed, since I'm pretty strong now and seven would be light for me I think. I'm going to see what a 10 or 12 pounder is like.

Jeff.

fungus

Post by fungus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:02 pm

raindog wrote: I'm hoping to find a suitable sledge today. My first thought about it being a seven pounder has changed, since I'm pretty strong now and seven would be light for me I think. I'm going to see what a 10 or 12 pounder is like.
I got my hammer last week. In the shop the 12 pounder felt like it would be too much for me but after a week I think it's the perfect size.

So I'd say when choosing a hammer: Get one which feels "a little bit scary".

Ten or twelve pounds isn't really all that much weight when you think about it (in a gym it'd be among the smallest weights available). So long as you do the exercises smoothly I don't think there's much risk of injury.

raindog

Post by raindog » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Good news on the injury front then Fungus! I was a bit worried about my back muscles as I have pulled a few in my time.
Taking it slow at first seems to be the trick. Get the muscles strong and useful before going all out.
I've ordered a nice 10 pounder (can't get good sledges round here). It's coming tomorrow and I can't wait. Been doing some of the exercises in the meantime with a heavy sword (not 10 pounds though!).
How's the enthusiasm going for the routine Fungus? I reckon it might last a long time.

Jeff.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:01 am

I am glad to hear the arrogant guy was converted (couldn't have been that arrogant if he gave it a try).

Make sure to wrap a sweater around that sword! :-)

Reinhard

raindog

Post by raindog » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:56 am

Haha! On previous occasions that particular sword has sliced open my duvet, gouged a slice into my bathroom door, and knocked a chunk out of my lampshade. I'm very careful now with it :roll:
My hammer's arrived now, so safer exercises from now on.

Jeff.

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 pm

did someone say "sword"? :D

Just of curiosity, what kind of weapon were you using? A lot of decorative pieces are made in such a way that makes them incredibly dangerous to swing around, because of the risk of the tang snapping and the causing the blade to fly out.

case in point. ouch >_<
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

raindog

Post by raindog » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi Phayze,
it's a Paul Chen Practical Plus katana. A bit light for shovelglove but a real cutting sword and tough enough to take a real sword fight too. I love it :)
Is that you in your avatar with the enormous sword??
I'm confident that shovelglove will make my sword battles with inanimate objects even more destructive!
PM me (if that's possible here) if you want to talk swords :)

Jeff.

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:31 pm

done!

Yep, that's me . . . and actually that's a quarterstaff with a lightsaber effect composited over it. :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

bladite

Post by bladite » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:00 pm

reinhard wrote:Welcome!

Just out of curiosity, how did Himalayan imports lead to shovelglove?

I think I found the site, but I have to register for an account to see the shovelglove posts.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

and

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=796

Reinhard
heh, the things you find when you vanity search :)

yup, that was me. i found the shovelglove link somewhere? and was quite immediately attracted, as i've been using an axe a bunch, as well as a sledge for backyard demo, and well, it's just sitting there... and it's realistic.

i figure now, the nintendo wii just needs the appropriate game (or maybe wii sports has that that). attach your controller to an axe, and boom! video exercises :) actually, golf might work :)

great idea! i'm not using a sweater though, and i've finished my handle with boiled linseed oil and polished it up. the head is also been soaked and is EXTRA secure (in case i actually use the hammer more) :) i might use some high density foam i have to make a "hammer sheath" though. mmm.

thanx!

bladite

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks for popping by, bladite. Isn't the web great for vanity? It's like the magic mirror in snow white -- you look at yourself and really learn something.

Shovelglove wii.... it could be one of those games where you have to build an empire with all kinds of resources: gold that needs to be mined, timber that needs to be felled, livestock that needs to be fenced in, foundations that need to be dug -- and of course, orcs that need smiting. Or like that 1880s wilderness survival show on pbs.

It's actually a very natural combination with the wii controller (I think, I haven't actually used it yet). If there are any nintendo execs lurking here, pop me an email and we can discuss licensing :-).

Reinhard

bladite

Post by bladite » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 am

reinhard wrote:Thanks for popping by, bladite. Isn't the web great for vanity? It's like the magic mirror in snow white -- you look at yourself and really learn something.

Shovelglove wii.... it could be one of those games where you have to build an empire with all kinds of resources: gold that needs to be mined, timber that needs to be felled, livestock that needs to be fenced in, foundations that need to be dug -- and of course, orcs that need smiting. Or like that 1880s wilderness survival show on pbs.

It's actually a very natural combination with the wii controller (I think, I haven't actually used it yet). If there are any nintendo execs lurking here, pop me an email and we can discuss licensing :-).

Reinhard
indeed :) i did it on a whim.

i love that 1880s show! the guy who built the still rocks :)

mmm, the wii's sport games, and the mini games in the "rayman raving rabbids", and the new sports games thing coming up will encourage people to move. i totally imagine there will be real life "snap on" tools. they already have a steering wheel for "air driving" :)

licencing, my axe whispered to me that he gets 15% off the top, or "off the top" if you know what he means *smyrke*

hhahahah. now i have to print out the further workout options and cycle through them.

bladite