first session Haha!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
raindog

first session Haha!

Post by raindog » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:17 am

Hi folks,
well the sledge hammer (10lb) arrived at my door about twenty mins ago. Ripped it out of the packaging and just got my first session done.
I used the recommended Reinhard routine on the Shovelglove page.
I almost thought I'd picked too heavy a hammer, but when I got going it was just right. Hard enough to make my muscles twitch and get me in a sweat :D (first time I've exercised properly in years).
Got done in about 12 mins, so I added some butter churning to the routine.
Feel great! Finished it off with a nice cup of herbal tea. Off for a walk in a minute. Life is good :D

Jeff.

david

Post by david » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Welcome to Shovelglove!

--david

raindog

Post by raindog » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks David,
That's a cool avatar you've got. Make a good poster for us Shovelglovers :)
Finding myself impatient to do another session. Never felt like that about exercise before. Very strange. Must be the feeling that it's worthwhile exercise rather than pointless, even though I may never use a sledgehammer for real demolishing or pounding.
Now got me thinking whether to add music as many people have done. Maybe some 'metal banging' industrial might be neat 8)

Jeff.

British Chap

Post by British Chap » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:39 am

Hi Jeff

I'm sure that it's meen mentioned elsewhere but surely 'Sledgehammer' by Peter Gabriel has got to be the ultimate SG track. It's a great energetic tune.
Also scores highly on the 'Bizarre Video' front.

Good luck

Gareth

raindog

Post by raindog » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:59 am

Hi Gareth,
yes! Thinking about it that tune has a good rhythm to it as well. I'll try that one :)

Jeff.

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Welcome to the fold, Raindog!

I highly recommend having some music going - it really helps me to stay focused.

It seems like we've been getting an awful lot of new shuggers lately . . . if this keeps up Reinhard with have entire army of sledgehammer-wielding devotees at his command! haha!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words