I Hate the Buzzer: Newbie's First Week

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SecondChance

I Hate the Buzzer: Newbie's First Week

Post by SecondChance » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:35 am

Hi, all.

I came across the shovelglove site from ask.metafilter.com, read up on the program, decided what the hell, and ordered an 8# sledge from the store.

First week has gone well. I've been careful not to over-do it and concentrated mostly on getting the movements down.

So far, so good. Along with No-S, I think I've lost some weight (belly fat due to massive soda drinking every day!).

Anyway thanks to R for putting this together. It's fun and I look forward to it.

Now I'm just looking forward to the day when I can get a full 21-14-7 routine down before that @!#$% buzzer goes off!

:D

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:43 pm

Welcome, SecondChance!

Keep us updated!

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:28 pm

haha! The buzzer is not your friend! I'm glad you're having fun with it anyway, though. ;)

Welcome to the fold!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Quite awhile ago I was was SG regularly I start with task based Shovel Glove. My basic thinking was while I liked the idea of 14 minutes being "schedule limbo" farm scenarios involved working til the job was done. So I just used no timer and worked through a routine. It still averaged just over 14 minutes.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:03 pm

I've gone through periods when I've ditched the buzzer, but I've found that big picture it's better to use it. It's easier to motivate when you know that no matter what, it's going to be over in 14 minutes. And if you're already feeling highly motivated it amplifies it by making you righteously haul ass.

Reinhard

SecondChance

Post by SecondChance » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

It's been a month now -- and all I can say is: Wow!

Along with No-S, I've already lost a ton of weight and the daily shugging is giving everything a nice definition.

I've never gotten results like these and had so much fun with any exercise program before.

One question for you all: When do you shug? I've been going in the mornings before breakfast, which is great except I'm usually hungry and have much less energy to complete the routine. Any tips/ advice?

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:55 am

SecondChance wrote:One question for you all: When do you shug? I've been going in the mornings before breakfast, which is great except I'm usually hungry and have much less energy to complete the routine. Any tips/ advice?
I do it "when I feel like it", which usually turns out to be late afternoon to mid-evening. This way, I'm more likely to have the energy and be "into it" when I start. I also don't stick to the weekday/weekend mantra, but try to average 5 days a week instead. I think this helps the flexibility of "when I feel like it", because some days I never get around to feeling like it, and can make it up on the weekend. (Which I find easy to do, with more free time on the weekends.)

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:41 am

I started out doing it after work in the afternoon, but my soul-sucking desk job doesn't often leave me with enough ambition at the end of the day to keep that up, so I switched to doing it first thing in the morning.

Considering how much I hate mornings, it's a true testament to how devoted I am to this exercise that I'll get up and 6am and swing that hammer before my eyes have fully cleared.:D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

Natasha

I like the mornings!

Post by Natasha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:49 am

I find that doing my routine first thing in the morning (after I do my back yoga exercises) works best for me. I was a morning person until I became a parent--so it is really helpful to get my body awake so I can be alert. I would be dropping like a dead fly if I tried to do it later in the day, after being on my feet all day in retail! :o