Newbie! Also: doc's note, blood sugars, PCOS= help?!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

harpista

Newbie! Also: doc's note, blood sugars, PCOS= help?!

Post by harpista » Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi, all!

Occasional lurker, now throwing her hat over the fence. I've (half-heartedly) tried to No-S in the past and well, always breaking at least one S per day... it just does not work. I am 24 and I would say, morbidly obese... To just be honest, about 170cm/5' 7", and about 129kg/285 lb. I still walk around, yes, but I just realized something: my dress size matches my age (and has since I was about sixteen). I'd like to discontinue this trend, what with my birthday coming up in four days, heh heh.

Motivation:
- Becoming too fat to play my musical instrument properly.
- Not having dated anyone since age/size 22, and that was someone I was with for about 4 years
- Sleep disorders, likely caused by weight
- Recent diagnosis (below) that plays into family history of diabetes and heart disease

I'm pretty sure this qualifies for a doctor's note exception to 3 meals per day: I was very recently diagnosed with PCOS (syndrome causing tendency to obesity, among other things, with a strong diabetes/heart disease risk) and hyperinsulinemia (causes me to get hypoglycemic, also a diabetes risk). I don't know how much information is just TMI, but I am on metformin (Glucophage). That's to regulate blood sugar, insulin use etc.

I *can* say I am supposed to lose weight, exercise and moderate my blood sugar, through my food choices as well as using the medicines. My endocrinologist recommended eating "more than three" times per day at regular times, and mentioned 4-6 times daily. I was thinking about aiming for four because as much as I love food, I get sick of eating over and over (I just want to eat lots when I do eat, I suppose!), and my schedule does not permit 5 or 6. Also I don't want to get further into food obsession by planning five or six meals per day! And grazing... I don't need a license to eat at will... That's what I've done most of my life and it hasn't done me any favours.

Does anyone have any experience with my disorder(s) or who has blood sugar problems, diabetes, etc. have anything to tell me?

Merci beaucoup!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed May 03, 2006 1:23 am

I'm not a doctor, but you sound like you're familiar with them, so I know you'll take this as just one humble diabetic's opinion.

You're hyperinsulinemic, and on glucophage? Is the glucophage causing the hyperinsulinemia?

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic (type I for 27 years), on an insulin pump, and reducing my meal count to three a day was the best thing I ever did for my diabetes. The second best thing I ever did was lose the weight I needed to lose. Of course, I test my Bg three hours after every meal to be sure I'm not getting too low. If I am, I ingest a controlled amount of dextrose/glucose (you know, glucose tabs). Think of it this way: since my pumped insulin is slower than that or a non-diabetic, I spend more time with elevated Bg. Eating more frequently just means there is a larger portion of the day that my Bg is elevated. There are three things that change your Bg (well, in big ways): carbohydrate intake, insulin production, and exercise. Why not take control of the things you can (carbohydrate intake and exercise)? It will have a moderating effect on the last thing.

Exercise might be the hardest thing, but I don't think the equation will work without it.

You have, and use, a Bg meter, right? Several times a day? Just before every meal, and three or so hours meals? Try not to let the Diabetes take hold. It's not a catastrophe, but it's absolutely no fun.

Eat four times a day. That's perfectly okay. I did it for a while, while getting used to eating three times a day.

Clearly, you understand that the very, very best thing you can do for your health is lose weight. Perhaps you need to control your food intake in an even more controlled way than No-S? Maybe for a while, anyway? I wouldn't do any of this without a nutritionist, and a doctor. Get on the right path, then adapt the No-S lifestyle, which can be the discipline you need for the rest of your life.

Good luck. Stick around. We'll be pulling for you.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed May 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Welcome! I have no diabetic experience or advice, but I can do the encouragement portion. Good for you on deciding to work on taking control of your eating!

Since Kevin has relevant experiences I suggest you listen to him, or maybe get a nutritionist and listen to them.

When it comes to exercize, remember that starting at a high weight adds some difficulties that you need to take into account. (Step classes are a bad idea!) Mistress Krista has an article about it over at Stumptuous.

Again, Welcome and good luck to you!
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 03, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi there :)
I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and very overweight...
I think I was 225 when I conceived and then went up to 250.. And I am 5'2"....

Once I got my sugar intake cut down the diabetes was controlled, and then when I lost weight in the years that followed I had no diabetic symptoms...

I believe that if you cut down drastically on refined sugar, which NoS should help with and you do daily exercise (walking is really great to start!) you may be able to reverse your diabetes just by losing weight...

Good luck!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... What musical instrument do you play? I play guitar and sing, and my son Richard plays a mean alto saxophone :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Donna O

a few questions..

Post by Donna O » Wed May 03, 2006 6:35 pm

What exactly is hyperinsulinemia ?

Does PCOS stand for poly cystic ovarian syndrome ?

Do you take insulin ?

Why do you take metformin ?

Eliminating sugar has only been good for me...

Donna O

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 04, 2006 2:12 am

Welcome, Harpista.

Sorry I can't offer much regarding your specific condition...

Kevin seems to have some excellent advice, particularly the part about consulting your doctor.

Best wishes, keep us posted,

Reinhard

harpista

Reply to Kevin

Post by harpista » Sun May 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Kevin wrote: You're hyperinsulinemic, and on glucophage? Is the glucophage causing the hyperinsulinemia?
Not in my understanding, I was diagnosed with both at one time. I am still getting a handle on PCOS and what it means (ie how to live now), but it IS poorly understood. My understanding so far is, hyperinsulinemia is often present with PCOS but which came first is not known. I am actually on the glucophage because of the effect it will have on my hormone levels. Apparently to decrease the excess insulin will cause a decrease in excess testosterone production and all the unpleasantness that goes with excess testosterone in women. I suppose this is why my endo wants me to eat more frequently, to maintain steadier blood sugar and lower insulin levels, which has a direct effect on the control of the testosterone (as I understand).
Kevin wrote:Eating more frequently just means there is a larger portion of the day that my Bg is elevated. There are three things that change your Bg (well, in big ways): carbohydrate intake, insulin production, and exercise. Why not take control of the things you can (carbohydrate intake and exercise)? It will have a moderating effect on the last thing.

Exercise might be the hardest thing, but I don't think the equation will work without it.
Do you know if hyperinsulinemia would likely respond the same way to more meals?

I have yet to settle on any exercise program except more and more serious walks with the dog as a beginning step. Better than I *was* doing for sure!
Kevin wrote:You have, and use, a Bg meter, right? Several times a day? Just before every meal, and three or so hours meals? Try not to let the Diabetes take hold. It's not a catastrophe, but it's absolutely no fun.
I have found this to be a very scary experience and especially sobering given that there is a huge history of diabetes in the family and I *know* what it can do to someone. Frankly I expected that I would be okay until my late 40's and then get type II like the rest. I forgot to factor in my obesity (and besides it's easy to be an ostrich). :oops: Obviously I've had the wake-up call.

So far I have been testing occasionally using my mom's meter (and obviously a fresh lancet :wink:) but not doing a regular or intensive testing. I will definitely look into the matter, take some regular testing to see where things are and also consult with my endo on the next visit.
Kevin wrote:Clearly, you understand that the very, very best thing you can do for your health is lose weight. Perhaps you need to control your food intake in an even more controlled way than No-S? Maybe for a while, anyway? I wouldn't do any of this without a nutritionist, and a doctor. Get on the right path, then adapt the No-S lifestyle, which can be the discipline you need for the rest of your life.

Good luck. Stick around. We'll be pulling for you.

My understanding is that my endo would like to see Weight Watchers or a similar "moderate" (her words) program. Perhaps the No-S isn't yet strict enough and would be better in combination and as maintenance? I have a lot to consider and find out and DO, and updates will be forthcoming.

Thanks for your reply and support :)

harpista

Post by harpista » Sun May 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Hunter Gatherer wrote:When it comes to exercize, remember that starting at a high weight adds some difficulties that you need to take into account. (Step classes are a bad idea!) Mistress Krista has an article about it over at Stumptuous.

Again, Welcome and good luck to you!
Thank you very much for the support, and for that link! I have read most of the site (awesome, no?) and I never saw that!

harpista

Re: a few questions..

Post by harpista » Sun May 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Donna O wrote:What exactly is hyperinsulinemia ?

Does PCOS stand for poly cystic ovarian syndrome ?

Do you take insulin ?

Why do you take metformin ?

Eliminating sugar has only been good for me...

Donna O
1) Here's a quote from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperi ... ia/HQ00896

"Hyperinsulinemia means you have too much insulin in your blood. It isn't diabetes. But hyperinsulinemia is often associated with type 2 diabetes.

Insulin is produced by your pancreas and helps regulate blood sugar. Hyperinsulinemia is a sign of an underlying problem that is causing your pancreas to secrete excessive amounts of insulin.

The most common cause of hyperinsulinemia is insulin resistance, a condition in which your body is resistant to the effects of insulin and your pancreas tries to compensate by making more insulin. (snip)

Hyperinsulinemia causes no signs or symptoms unless it causes low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Treatment of hyperinsulinemia is directed at the underlying problem."

In my case I get the low blood sugar and the underlying problem is

2) Yep, polycystic ovarian syndrome. Sorry for leaving that out, I *hate* it when people forget to define their uncommon acronyms!! :oops:

3) No insulin, at the moment we want less of it. :)

4) I take the metformin/glucophage because (here's another quote from a PCOS website that explains better than I do) http://www.4woman.gov/faq/pcos.htm#7

"The medicine, Metformin, also called Glucophage, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, also helps with PCOS symptoms. Metformin affects the way insulin regulates glucose and decreases the testosterone production. Abnormal hair growth will slow down and ovulation may return after a few months of use. These medications will not cause a person to become diabetic."

Don't the words "abnormal hair growth" just send chills down your spine? :lol:

Sugar reduction probably didn't happen before because I was just totally unaware. Yes, sugary iced tea is definitely one of my major esses, and No-S has made me aware that despite not thinking I had a sweet tooth, I really do! Wow is it ever!

harpista

Post by harpista » Sun May 07, 2006 9:01 pm

reinhard wrote:Welcome, Harpista.

Sorry I can't offer much regarding your specific condition...

Kevin seems to have some excellent advice, particularly the part about consulting your doctor.

Best wishes, keep us posted,

Reinhard
Thank you! :)

Dixie_Amazon

Post by Dixie_Amazon » Tue May 09, 2006 6:09 pm

You might try googling Metabolic Syndrome and Syndrome X which I have been diagnosed with and PCOS is assocaited with. The short version is to cut out refined foods like sugar and flour and increase low glycemic index food. There is a lot of information out there.
Dennise

harpista

Post by harpista » Tue May 09, 2006 8:54 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi there :)
I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and very overweight...
I think I was 225 when I conceived and then went up to 250.. And I am 5'2"....

Once I got my sugar intake cut down the diabetes was controlled, and then when I lost weight in the years that followed I had no diabetic symptoms...

I believe that if you cut down drastically on refined sugar, which NoS should help with and you do daily exercise (walking is really great to start!) you may be able to reverse your diabetes just by losing weight...

Good luck!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... What musical instrument do you play? I play guitar and sing, and my son Richard plays a mean alto saxophone :)
The women in our family went to a new GP about 10 years ago whom I truly respect and admire for her intelligence and thoroughness, who thinks my brother and I were *both* gestational diabetes affected babies. However at the time (late seventies and early eighties respectively) the diagnostic criteria were apparently a lot less strict, so it went by. However I was born with (and still have :evil: ) an enormous skull!

My doctor & endo both believe I can get everything under control by weight loss and careful eating and exercise like you did.

Oh and I'm a harpist, although I think you caught that before I realized I hadn't replied to you. :wink:

harpista

Post by harpista » Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Dixie_Amazon wrote:You might try googling Metabolic Syndrome and Syndrome X which I have been diagnosed with and PCOS is assocaited with. The short version is to cut out refined foods like sugar and flour and increase low glycemic index food. There is a lot of information out there.
Thank you VERY much for posting this.

I am googling right now.

Kevin

glycemic index

Post by Kevin » Mon May 15, 2006 12:27 am

The effect of low glycemic index foods should not be discounted. The metabolic difference between brown rice and white rice is pretty substantial.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going!
Kevin

harpista

Re: glycemic index

Post by harpista » Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 am

Kevin wrote:The effect of low glycemic index foods should not be discounted. The metabolic difference between brown rice and white rice is pretty substantial.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going!
I have switched to brown rice since my diagnosis, as well as trying to get more fiber and eat more low-glycemic in general. I'm slowly getting used to it (and timing it properly). It horrifies me how little produce and how much white food I have been eating (the rest of the family too, but must take my own responsibility for it).

BTW, do you find that you really need a book on the subject? I've been looking at them, but also at mendosa.com, where there's a GI list.

Kevin

Glycemic index

Post by Kevin » Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 am

Nah, you don't need a book. There are a million glycemic index references on the web. Take advantage of them.

Good luck. Let us know how it works. You can do this. You must do this.
Kevin