a 3-meals proponent I missed in the early 2000's

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

a 3-meals proponent I missed in the early 2000's

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Because I'm still looking for the way the (now mild but still annoying) overeating on S days can be managed, I stumbled on a book by Victoria Moran called Fit from Within. Apparently, she's been an anti-diet but spiritual proponent of weight loss since 1999. I know it wouldn't have turned me around at that time, but she did advocate for three meals a day way back then, mostly because it fits in with the mainstream societal stream and cuts down on the number of decisions to make. She was also in favor of giving the scale a lot less importance. Lots of regular and not-so-regular behavioral stuff but said very prettily. I think it might be a helpful adjunct if you've been at it for several months and like me need a boost into the rest of your life. If you're newer than that, just keep rereading the book and the site!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:37 am

I used to be a big fan of Victoria Moran, but she's gotten too New Agey woo-woo for me in recent years. However, I think Fit from Within was written before she got New Agey.

I've been thinking about never snacking -- or at least very rarely. Snacks are what seems to be where I overeat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 am

Except for my beloved coffee and mocha, I don't snack on weekdays and I'm really wondering why I keep doing it on weekends. It rarely adds enough pleasure to make up for how it ruins my appetite for meals.

I also saw that Victoria has gone vegan. Good golly, can't more role models just eat without going to such extremes? Not that it isn't a good idea if you're trying to decrease your carbon footprint but it just seems the number of people who can really benefit from the message drops if they go into it thinking they have to cut out 3/4's of the foods they've ever eaten. Then again, I think it was an evolution for her.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am

New Age woo woo and veganism seem to go hand-in-hand.

The only food I can't figure out when to eat if snacks are eliminated is popcorn! Although my step-mother told me that when she was growing up it wasn't uncommon for them to eat popcorn like cold cereal for breakfast. But it was leftover from a snack the previous evening. She was a depression-era child.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I need popcorn. I tend to save it for a weekend night, dish a heaping helping (or 2) and call it supper. I sometimes eat a small supper prior... But weekends are my big problem, so don't listen to me!

Oh, and my grandma ate popcorn for breakfast all of the time, but she ate it like cereal with milk on it. Ha! I tried it once just out of curiosity and yep, it dissolves. Mush. I'd rather eat is seperately. I'm all for that! High in fiber, inexpensive, and that smell! :shock:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Interesting will look her up.

I understand about the popcorn. I kept buying this Greek yogurt veggie dip and it doesn't seem to fit in with meals right now. I guess I can have veggies and dip during the winter with my soup. For the most part I have stopped snacking during the weekends unless I'm binging.....I like not snacking. I guess the only time I snack is when away from home.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 am

snapdragon wrote:Interesting will look her up.

I understand about the popcorn. I kept buying this Greek yogurt veggie dip and it doesn't seem to fit in with meals right now. I guess I can have veggies and dip during the winter with my soup. For the most part I have stopped snacking during the weekends unless I'm binging.....I like not snacking. I guess the only time I snack is when away from home.
I eat veggies and dip with sandwiches, too.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:25 am

wosnes wrote:New Age woo woo and veganism seem to go hand-in-hand.
Hmmmm..... I've been a vegetarian for decades, but I've always gotten hives from New Age stuff.