Using NoS for Maintenance?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Periwinkle

Using NoS for Maintenance?

Post by Periwinkle » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I am coming to this board based on a suggestion from Oolah, who posts on a SparkPeople team I'm on. She is an enthusiastic and persuasive NoS practitioner, and it has piqued my interest.

I'm actually not interested in NoS as a "diet" plan but rather as a way of maintenance. I've lost almost 60 pounds on a doctor-supervised high-protein liquid diet. I know, I know, pretty much the antithesis of NoS! But desperate times called for desperate measures (at 197 on my 5'3" frame I was at a BMI of 36, over 50% body fat and triglycerides of 280!)

But now that I'm closing in on my goal weight (and much healthier and happier), I'm looking for a maintenance plan that I can stick with. I've always been an overeater/constant grazer, and I know I need some "rules" to reign in my natural tendencies. I also don't want to feel overly restricted, because then I know I'll rebel. I've lost 50+ pounds three times now--this is the LAST go round!

Anyway, my question is a quick one: are any of you using NoS to maintain weight loss? Do you vary your behavior at all from how you ate during the diet phase? If NoS is causing people to lose all this weight, then it seems like it might cause too much portion control for maintenance. So do you increase your plate size, or are you not as "compliant" as when you were losing--which seems like a slippery slope?! I guess I'm just struggling with that leap of faith--it sounds too good to be true.

So...anyone maintaining? How's it going?

~Peri

Jethro

Re: Using NoS for Maintenance?

Post by Jethro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Periwinkle wrote:
Anyway, my question is a quick one: are any of you using NoS to maintain weight loss?
I'm not at maintenance yet, but I can assure you I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life.

And why not. I'm eating what I like yet I'm losing weight. Thus, every meal is a delight to my palate.

I look forward to every meal!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Oolala here and jumping in! It took me over two years to get to my normal range BMI. That was a loss of 31 pounds. I've been doing the same thing since then and always and have maintained for 4 months so far.

It's not typical for those on such diets as you have been on to maintain exactly where they were, is it? Once you start eating again, there are typically powerful desires to overeat. However, I can't imagine a better way to maintain. Just know that you might feel compelled to eat a lot on your plates at some point and might gain a little. But if you don't go crazy on the S days (which is also typical of refeeding), I think you'll find a great lifestyle and will get to a more normal or maintain at a bit higher weight. Just stick to the rules.

But it is likely that it will feel very hard for awhile since eating food is going to wake up desire in you that you haven't had to face in awhile. That won't last, most likely. Just commit! I would have a hesitation to recommend that you commit to anything except No S. It's the least likely thing to make you crazy.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Periwinkle

Thanks for your responses!

Post by Periwinkle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 am

I think the idea of my weight loss plan is to be able to keep it off--to lose 2-3 pounds per week due to very low calories and then get to goal, add back calories in the right amount to maintain the loss. I'm right in the middle of my BMI range--not trying to be Kate Moss here--and I think it's definitely doable if I eat a *reasonable* number of calories. The trick, of course, is how to do that. Could No-S be the way?

It is very typical for people coming off a radical diet plan to eat like crazy. I know it's a danger and just can't let that happen. The nice thing is that after eating just 3 shakes a day, I've gotten used to the 3 mealtimes per day concept, gotten rid of the snacking habit, and gotten used to hunger. I don't panic now when my tummy starts to rumble and I've had 5 months worth of saying, "No thanks, I'm not hungry right now." These are all good habits, and I did them because I had no choice enforced on me (which I, personally, needed). Now I feel like I've broken all my bad habits by necessity and am ready to start fresh with a moderate eating plan.

I think No-S could be that, but I am not sure about whether it will allow me to keep off the weight I've lost. Even though Reinhard says it's not a plan about what to eat but when to eat, that doesn't feel fully convincing for me. That might help curb the excesses of someone who is quite overweight and regularly snacking/overeating on sweets daily (as I used to). But obviously it is going to be more effective for weight loss the greater is difference between what you were eating and what you're eating now. And if you're at a (fairly low) weight you want to maintain, and you're a small woman like me (5'3"), it's possible that your calorie "budget" is only 1300-1600 per day. That's probably very different than the calorie budget that a 250 pound male would have. If my husband and I both piled the same 9" dinner plate full of lasagna, garlic bread, cheese rolls, and corn, it's entirely possible that he would lose weight and I would gain. So *what* you put on your plate *has* to matter. (I read somewhere that Reinhard said he has no idea how many calories he eats a day--I envy him and have to wonder if that is a luxury that those of us who are small and female do not possess).

I get that naturally I'm supposed to put more healthy things on my plate as time goes on--in theory that seems to make sense. But I suspect my tendency would be to try to get as full as possible before the next meal, which as a vegetarian would mean lots of cheese, pasta, rice, and more cheese--kind of back to what got me up to 197 pounds in the first place.

So, if I'm successful No-Sing, I guess what I'm wondering is, how much attention will I need to pay to *what* I'm putting on the plate? I would suspect a lot in order to keep my weight at its current point (and I want to). Which is fine, but that really puts me back in the boat of calorie counting and kind of defeats some of the simplicity of No-S. Maybe that's something I just have to accept (I'm ok with being a little crazy from keeping track and checking off food groups and all that--having this body is worth it after years of obesity, and I can still benefit from the discipline of the No-S habits). Or maybe it really does work for a 5'3", 126-pound person to live like this day in, day out (assuming successful compliance) and maintain her weight without having to track calories obsessively. If that were true, I would be ecstatic. Can anyone else (especially anyone who's petite) speak from experience of living the No-S way while keeping their weight the same?

~Peri

kimfin

Post by kimfin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:01 am

Hi Peri,

I don't think I have ever posted here before but I read regulary. I just wanted to say as a fellow 5'3" female it is totally possible to maintain on No-S. I started No-S at 124.5 pounds nearly 5 weeks ago and weighed in this morning at 124.

However as a small woman it is also possible to put on weight on No-S. This is my fourth time at it and my previous three attempts put on weight. But very little to be honest. Think I just panicked and gave up! If I had stuck it out I really think it would have evened out.

The major advantage of No-S for me (and Reinhard talks about this too) is that you KNOW how much you are eating; three plates a day make it obvious. So if you start putting on a little bit of weight you can just put a little less on your plates or make it healthier. After nearly 5 weeks I really feel I know how much I need on each plate to maintain and stay full until the next meal. And after years of yo yo dieting I feel at peace with my eating and weight for the first time ever :-)

And well done on losing the weight, it's a huge achievement! I really hope No-S works for you, I think it is just the best! X

vmsurbat

Re: Thanks for your responses!

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 am

Periwinkle wrote: Can anyone else (especially anyone who's petite) speak from experience of living the No-S way while keeping their weight the same?

~Peri
ME! ME! ME!

I'm a 5'2", 50+, and hypothyroidal woman, so I fit the bill! I've been following NoS for the last four years. I did lose my weight on NoS but have maintained my weight (and even lost a little) for the past year. So while I can't particularly address the challenges you might face in transitioning to NoS (or any other eating plan), I can give you some insights about NoS and maintaining.

Here are some thoughts about your concerns:

1. The one-plate rule helps limit portion sizes because you can visually SEE what you are eating.

2. As you rightly pointed out, what you put on the plate matters but it doesn't necessarily need to be micromanaged, ie., all calories counted and tracked. And every meal doesn't have to be some wonder meal of exactly the right nutrients at the right calories.

3. Even so, as you are getting used to putting food on your plate, it might help to weigh/measure portions of heavy/dense food for A FEW DAYS ONLY just to calibrate your sense of how much/large 1 oz of cheese is, for example, and what it looks like on your plate, sandwich, etc.

4. I suspect you have a good understanding of basic nutrition (most of us long term dieters do), but if you don't, read a book or two on nutrition (not a weight-loss diet plan). I can suggest one or two if you want.

5. You won't be able to make your plate look exactly like your husband's, sharing everything even-steven because his needs are different than your needs.

6. I've found it very helpful to purposefully cultivate certain mental attitudes (eg., one=done, mark it and move on) and habits (taking a good look at my plate and enjoying its beauty, and truly pausing to be grateful for the wonderful abundance and variety I enjoy). There is a whole sticky entitled something like "NoS Catch Phrases" that is full of helpful mottoes and insights like these. I always suggest that newcomers read through it and to get the NoS book.

7. Without fail, barring health issues, you want to put fruit and veggies on your plate along with anything else you eat. I personally aim (not slavishly, but generally) to follow these proportions for my main meal: 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch/grain, 1/2 veggies and fruit (tilting toward veggies and salad). I tend to have fruit at breakfast and lunch but it is not a fast rule. Since you eat vegetarian (two of my family members are vegetarians), I would encourage you to use beans/legumes for protein needs rather than cheese, and veggies rather than grains to fill you up.

Some sample main meals taken from my actual eating:

Friday Pizza day: Instead of completely covering my plate with pizza, or more likely in Pre-NoS days, taking one piece, and then another, and then another...., I take my piece and possibly another 1/2, and put it on my plate, and then I ALSO have a salad, or mixed marinated veggies, and/or fruit.

Nice dinner day: 1 Pan-Fried Pork Chop (little oil used)
Oven-roasted potatoes
Greek Salad (cukes, tomatoes, onion, feta)
Steamed Swiss Chard with a bit of butter
Fruit if I wanted, but I was satisfied.

Combo Day: 1 Bean and cheese burrito
Guacomole and Salsa
Roasted Pepper Salad
Fresh veggies with homemade Ranch Dip

8. In writing this out, I would say that it would probably be helpful to make cooking/eating "real" foods a priority over fast food, restaurant meals, or processed/boxed foods, seasonings, etc. I am in the position to cook most of our meals and I am certain that is a big part of why I can eat so well and maintain a decent weight. Also, I have found it helpful to browse EatingWell's recipes (they are all online) and I once picked up a Cooking Light annual (reasonably priced at Costco). They have fresh, tasty recipes that don't go overboard on oils and fake foods. ETA: This doesn't mean you have to have fancy, foodie, meals either!

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to give NoS further consideration. It definitely encourages the development of good eating habits, so that is a win-win situation. And from within that environment, you will be in a good position to make any modifications to what you eat that you may need.

Best wishes and congrats on your weight loss!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am

I'm not sure where it says it of if it's just implied but you are supposed to eat the amount of food that will still allow you to get hungry for your next meal. So, unless you have a fast metabolism, which would be a surprise if you're here, you wont be able to eat loaded plates and still be comfortable.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:37 pm

I use the half plate guideline to help manage calorie intake. For most of my lunches and dinners, half my plate should be veggies - corn, beans and potatoes do not count. Fresh and colorful veggies are preferable, but roasted is ok, too.

I also try to have a piece of fruit at every meal.

I go as light on the animal products and grains as I can.

Currently, breakfast is a fruit smoothie (ice, water, and fruit) with a scoop of protein powder.

All the best on the transition. You can do it.

BrightAngel

Re: Using NoS for Maintenance?

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Periwinkle wrote:NoS -- as a way of maintenance.
I've lost almost 60 pounds on a doctor-supervised high-protein liquid diet.
I'm looking for a maintenance plan that I can stick with.
I've always been an overeater/constant grazer,
and I know I need some "rules" to reign in my natural tendencies.

If NoS is causing people to lose all this weight,
then it seems like it might cause too much portion control for maintenance.
So do you increase your plate size?!
I guess I'm just struggling with that leap of faith--it sounds too good to be true.

So...anyone maintaining? How's it going?
When you go back on food, you will be amazed at how VERY LITTLE food
it will take for you to maintain your weight loss;
how quickly old habits surface, and how hungry you will feel.

Once I lost about 100 lbs on a Dr Supervised high-protein liquid diet,
but when I went back on food, I regained it all within 4 months --
despite frequent attempts at heavy-duty diet braking action.

I've lost 100 lbs on 3 occasions, and from 30 to 50 lbs many, many times.
For about 8 years I've been maintaining in my normal weight range.
My current weight-loss is not due to No S,
but from tracking calories while restricting, long-term.

However, for several years, I've been very interested,
and experimenting with, some of the No S eating habit concepts,
and I've been actively participating here on the forum for the past 4 years.
If you are interested in learning more details,
check out my "About Me" page on my personal website:
http://www.diethobby.com/index.php?n=11&id=10

I wish you great success at maintaining your weight-loss,
and think that No S has a lot to offer you,
but there's No Diet Magic involved,
and of course,
you will not be able to eat the same caloric amounts that Reinhard eats
& maintain your weight-loss.

You might be interested in reading my No S review,
together with responsive comments from No S members.
SEE: http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=55
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com